Which Trike Kit?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Trike Kit?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Trike Kit?

What is everyone that has trikes opinion as to the best trike kit? What are all of the brand names of trike kits for GL1800?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

You might be better off in the TRIKE FORUM.

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I swear I am in the trike forum.............I think?

Depends on what you like. I liked the suspension on the Hannigan....Didn't care for the looks.

I also liked California Side Car suspension, but felt that the wheel base was a tad wide. It just seemed out of proportion.

I finally settled on a "do-it -yourself" Champion kit. Several bucks cheaper, had fun building it, like the looks. Don't have any regrets.

However, had I known that a Champion IRS would have been available this year, I would have waited.
    Last edited by Turbine surgeon; 04-17-2009 at 04:36 PM.

Squating Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The one they are riding....

seriously, there are no bad trike kits.....installed correctly is the key...and we've beat that horse to death...

Get the one that you like, appeals to your eye...get a great installer and go for it....

I like my California Side Car, and guess what, that's what I'm riding....see I told you so.

Hers-2007 Goldwing CSC Trike, Silver
    His-2013 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic, Hot White Pearl.
    Bushtec Roadstar,
    Blue Knights KYII, Life Member HOG,Iron Butt Member,AMA Member

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KYBLUE View Post
    The one they are riding....

seriously, there are no bad trike kits.....installed correctly is the key...and we've beat that horse to death...

Get the one that you like, appeals to your eye...get a great installer and go for it....

I like my California Side Car, and guess what, that's what I'm riding....see I told you so.
    Hey there KYBLUE tell us how ya' really feel?

beastie

Quote Originally Posted by kikker View Post
    What is everyone that has trikes opinion as to the best trike kit? What are all of the brand names of trike kits for GL1800?

What is everyone that has cars opinion as to the best car?

Opinions are like noses.

You might want to look here to see how many of each kit are represented here on the trike forum...

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141238

Post Thanks / Like

As you can see, I have a '05 Motor Trike kit hung on my '02 two wheeler. I got 38-40 mpg on my two wheeler. I get 22-24 on my trike. My Kabota tractor has a slightly better ride it and corners much better. It wears tires out like they were made of bubble gum. I buy stop leak by the case for the differential. (Mustang V6) I have snapped two drive shafts and had a bent rim installed with the kit. I have spent over $51,478.46 on this trike since I got it. (this price does not inclued the price of the two wheeler) I bought the EZ Steer triple tree under the advisement of this group. It has broken twice and the trike is not steering to well at present. Most of the kits are overpriced and work poorly, junk, if you will.....and I only have 129 miles on my trike......

Gee, I love that machine.....
    Riding a red '11 Can-Am RT-S Spyder, and a '02 Orange GW/'05 Motor Trike kit.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retird USAF and Sony Corp. MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I advertise too?

Post Thanks / Like

I researched all/most of them and settled on either DFT, Hannigan or CSC. Ended up with a CSC. Try to ride all u can and see which one u like. One of the prim issue is the installer. A good installer = a good trike; a bad one = a bad trike.

07-black and red - Suzuki VL800 Boulevard (C50), 03-candy red - GL1800 ABS w/08 CSC Trike kit.
    Past: 98-Valkyrie Tour, 75-Honda CB750 K5, 67-Yamaha 200, 57 Cushman, 49-Cushman - Inverted Bath tub

> I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. - Groucho Marx

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I got to ride several different trikes while trying to make up our minds on which trike kit we liked best. In Spartanburg at the state rally we drove a CSC Cobra that we liked. In Daytona we rode a trike shop kit(I think Rodesmith) that I kept feeling like I was going to fall off of in the turns, and didn't like. After riding several others we settled on the Champion kit. It is now on order and we hope to have it installed and riding by mid-May. The choice for us was really between the California Side Car (CSC) and the Champion. The deciding factor was that the dealer I do most of my business with sells mostly Champion. I have been accused of being an employee of the dealer or a relative as I have made a couple of references to how much I like them and how great they are to work with so I will refrain from naming them now. I guess my point is, after all my rambling..............go ride as many as you can and see what fits you and your needs the best. I believe they are all good and differences are just personal preferences. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Training Wheels/Retractable Landing Gear Forum Room?

Doc Crane,
    Maybe Hazel will create a board for your product if you ask. Give it a try, can't hurt,,, Please, please, Give It A Try!!! Every time you post, the absurdity makes me burst into laughter, shoot coffee out my nose, and gets my Triker Gang Colors pajamas wet. Or maybe I wet myself?
    Anyway, Kikker, whether you join the Champs, the Cobras, the MotorHeads, the Hanni-Heads, etc... no matter. All are right, wrong, smart, crazy, but most of all, Welcome. Jump in, the water is just fine (even the warm pockets).
    Personally, I'm waiting for George L to put that Kubota up fpr sale. Now That's a Machine for me! What tire pressure should I run? Is it raked? what degree? do you run Mickey Thompsons on it with a fork mod? Will the Key Fob run the bucket with a solenoid? Is the rear solid, twin A-arm, twin trailing arm? Are plans in the works for a upgrade? Not that I would need it or want it as that Kubota is a fine riding and handling log-wagon to begin with. (got a couple grand of my stimulus left and itchin to spend it) If I paint it yellow and loan it to Gary can I get a poem posted in my honor. Are the running boards weight-bearing AND scratch-proof (my Mommas combat boots have spikes in the lug soles and my woman is a big girl, sorry honey). And finally, can anyone tell me who the best installer is for the accessories and where can I get a tech manual for it?
    Have A Wonderfull Weekend All!
    P.s. Is this the Trike Forum? Where's my Worlds Fair spoon? I remember when all this was just,,,,,,,,,,
    M.I. Shadow 44
    WildCat Country, KY

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

MIshadow44 Holy Cow! You gotta start drinkin' decaf there Brother.

I never met your Momma so sorry to hear about the fashion statement. Where does she carry her Luger? But I have seen your girlyfriend and she's not no biggin'? Matter of fact if she sees what you wrote you'll be typin' with one arm, the one that's broke in only 12 places.......

Now to stay on subject (Kikker) I firmly believe and highly endorse the following brand of 1800 Trike kit ................awwwww you guys thought you had me didn't you?

Now back to bizz........

MIshadow44 this one's for you!
    I woke up this morning and it's coffee that I drink
    Logged on the Triker board just to see what people think
    Saw an advertisement for some trainin' wheel deal
    I dang' near choked to death,and it almost made me squeal.

After I recovered and regained all my composure
    I just could not resist I had to write a post here
    Thinkin' 'bout a tractor or some other odd machine
    I think I'll paint it YELLOW and make Gary want the thing

I made a silly statement that I'm sure will get my arm broke
    'Cause my girlfriend she's a cutie and she won't be likin' my joke
    My Momma she's a rough one and army boots she's wearin'
    If you see her on the street it's you that she'll be scarin'

So when the dust here settles and Kikker picks a Trike out
    We'll await another victim and advise him too no doubt
    Now Saturday's upon me but I'll be back real soon
    It's not this poem I'm after, I really want that SPOON!
    Last edited by LoneStarTrikes; 04-18-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Shadow 44. My Kaboda is not for sale. I have too much love for to sell it....I have a bush hog and front end loader on it. When I get frustrated with the world, I don't go out and shoot folks, I cut weeds, push a tree over, or move a pile of dirt.....

Speed: 5 mph, maybe 4.
    Tire pressue: 8 pounds plus water for extra rear end weight...good for trikes too.
    Handling: None. Solid axles....front and back....
    Engine: 3 cyl, 23 HP and it will work hard all day long on 3-4 gallons of diesel.
    Transmission: Hydrostatic, low and high range. Set your throtle for the work ahead (2300 rpm for mowing and loader work) and press the forward pedal, the harder you press, the faster it goes. Low range for loader work, high for mowing.

As Abe Lincon said...take my trike before you take my Kabota.

I really love it. My wife bought it for my birthday in 1990. It runs like a hose.
    Riding a red '11 Can-Am RT-S Spyder, and a '02 Orange GW/'05 Motor Trike kit.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retird USAF and Sony Corp. MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Abe Lincoln really said that?.......I thought it was Patrick Henry............

Post Thanks / Like

George.....what was that? Gary, I'm still waiting on my copy of poems bey the trikebuilder..... Any of u guys know about trikes??
    Sorry.....no ride.....lose my pride. I know Gary, its as good as I can do with my colege edjycation.
    2005 GL180O Blue Roadsmith Trike
    previous bikes: 91 GL1500I with Voyager kit
    Kawasaki KZ900 The first real crotch rocket
    Honda CL360

other toys:
    49Chevy 3600 3/4 ton longbed pickup
    53Chevy 3100 1/2 ton shortbed pickup

Post Thanks / Like

We sure can get off track easily.

Which trike kit? is certainly a loaded question. As was said earlier which car is the best Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, Cadillac, Hummer it goes on and on.

What are you looking for? Comfort, handling, looks, comfort and handling self build etc.

Only you can decide, ride as many as you can and look under the plastic/fiberglass, there are differences in design.

A solid axle kit will ride differently than an independent suspension kit. Note that on most of the solid axle units the rear two wheels pivot through the original swing axle pivot area which means that when one rear wheel drops into a hole the whole trike will rotate in that direction. The independent units will not do that as bad.

Only you can make the decision for the type of riding you do. Ride them and then make an informed decision. After my first trike ride I was not impressed, i hated the way they cornered, not that I have several thousand miles on our trike I love the way it corners and will not go back to a two wheeled motorcycle for the road.

Wayne
    Wayne Thais

Post Thanks / Like

Kikker

There is a wealth of information on the board and while it is not the easiest way, I highly suggest that you go back in time and read many of the posts. There has been a great deal of information posted by some great folks on the board about their experiences and what has worked for them. Of course, what is good for me, may not be good for you, so I too would highly suggest test rides, factory tours, and first hand knowledge.

I did a quick search on Google "Trike Conversion Comparisons" and found a few sites. I once had, what is now an old report, from GWRRA where they tried to offer some comparisons. If I find it, I will send it along. Google is a great tool as well.

http://www.aumih.info/Docs/Trike_CSC.htm

http://www.horsecountrycruisers.visualexpressions.us/ww-trike.htm

http://burgmanriders.com/burgman-product-reviews/875/guest-product-review-tow-pac-mini-trike-conversion-kit/

Good luck with your choice. Regardless of what you get, I am sure you will love having a Trike. That, we all can agree on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best of the Best

Everyone has given you what I deem a lot of GOOD information.
    But take one more bit of data and digest this!

Visit the places where they are built, ride a demo of each kind, ask about service and follow-up issues, attend a local Chapter meeting of Triker's and ask questions from all.

By this time you should have an idea of what YOU like...

That is the one you should go with. Trust me, you will love it!
    (No matter which one you chose)

Welcome and as always... Ride Safe My Friend!

2006 GL1800 MT 2+2

GWRRA 303479
    TRI - Texas South Central Region TX-5 11703

Never forget that 'stressed' spelled backwards is 'desserts'.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Names to consider:

1. Motor Trike.....(Texas)
    2. Champion ..... (California)
    3. Trike Shop Roadsmith (Minnesota)
    4. Hannigan (Kentucky)
    5. CSC Cobra (Virginia)
    6. D.F.T. (Illinois)

There is also Lehman from Canada and somewhere in the Dakotas but since I don't handle them I not adding them to the list

But there you go they're all well engineered, different ride feel, trunk space, options, looks, customer service is good with all. So when you do narrow your search turn your attention to the installer. Ask for references and call the manufacturers and ask for a reputable dealer. Just because one appears on their dealer list doesn't mean they build many or know what they're doin'....... Experience is the key.

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to help you look

http://www.geocities.com/redbud71/

And this I think was the link Wheels had from Wing World on trikes, but looks like it is history

http://www.wingworldmag.com/archives...enomenon1.html
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

The best trike kit is the one you are riding.
    I've had three trikes with three different conversions. One was a total disaster. Really installed bad. Wife and I had more fun on that peice of junk than you can imagine!!
    Just pick one that fits your budget and you like the looks of and get it! Ride it!! An try not to grin too much!!!!

-Dan
    Dan

'06 GL1800/DFT
    IBA#42179

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarTrikes View Post
    Hey there KYBLUE tell us how ya' really feel?

+1
    2008 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
    2003 GL1800 candy orange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anion View Post
    Everyone has given you what I deem a lot of GOOD information.
    But take one more bit of data and digest this!

Visit the places where they are built, ride a demo of each kind, ask about service and follow-up issues, attend a local Chapter meeting of Triker's and ask questions from all.

By this time you should have an idea of what YOU like...

That is the one you should go with. Trust me, you will love it!
    (No matter which one you chose)

Welcome and as always... Ride Safe My Friend!

me too !!!!! go to the builder .and ride them .
    2008 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
    2003 GL1800 candy orange

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.