GL1800Riders Forums banner

Who is the GL1800riders.com Oldest Riding Member?

11K views 74 replies 59 participants last post by  Foodman 
#1 ·
Okay I'm trying to look forward to riding as long as possible.

First I must have a realistic expectation to focus on. Who is the oldest member that still rides their Goldwing? Do not answer the questions below unless you are at least 67 years old, not if you feel 67 but if you are at least 67.

How old are you?
How many miles a year do you still ride?
Do you still tour?

#52 ·
I will turn 75 this dec going on 29K on my 2012 that i have had around year. And yes it just has 2 wheels:thumbup::thumbup:

Road back from Montrose Co this sept to home in 2 days i just enjoy riding.

Wimpy....you sure don't ride like you are 75. I sure had fun riding with you last month.

#54 ·
As part of my 80th birthday, my wife and I rode our 1500 from our home in Virginia to Kitty Hawk, NC (the Atlantic Ocean) and then to the Pacific Ocean at Newport Beach, CA. Had a wonderful trip and met a lot of great people.

We are now planning our next ride which will be from Virginia to Nova Scotia.

Just remember that "more people rust out than wear out"

Bob

:bow:
:thumbup: This is truly remarkable...Stay healthy and riding.

#60 ·
I'll be 71 in January 2013 and usually ride 20,000 miles/year when work allows it. Still work full time, and it is hard for me to get away from work for more than five days at a time. Went back to a Wing in 2010 when I wrecked my BMW R1200RT.(low sided it on a cylinder head in Arkansas) After the BMW, I just don't enjoy the Wing as much as I used to and plan to trade it on the new Triumph Trophy as soon as they are available in the States. The sport tourer seems to be more to my liking. I regularly ride 1000 mile days and really enjoy long distance riding. Ride by myself mostly because the guys I regularly ride with complain that the long distance days are too tiring. Two years ago, I rode to Big Bend National Park in Texas in one day, rode the park and environs for one day and then back to central Kansas in one day. That's apx 2,500 miles in three days. No record but one great Memorial Day Weekend ride. The only thing that gives me pause is that my son is in a rehabilitation facility in Nebraska as a result of a car wreck and of the seven others in his unit five are there because of motorcycle wrecks, makes me wonder if riding is worth the risk but I suspect I will just accept the risk and continue to ride.

#62 ·
How old are you? 68
How many miles a year do you still ride? 30-35000
Do you still tour? Yes
I'm not even close to being the oldest rider here but I do love to ride. A couple of years ago I decided that I didn't really feel safe riding two wheels any longer but since I had ridden three enough to know that I enjoyed that just as much, I made the switch. Sometimes I hurt all over after a ride and can't hardly move, but sometimes I hurt all over and can't hardly move if I haven't ridden, so if I'm going to hurt anyway I just as well do something that I enjoy.:lol:

#63 ·
You Guys Are Great

:congrats: You guys are great.....I have really enjoyed your informative replies to this thread.
We youngsters now feel we have a long future in riding because you guys have enlightened us that age only matters if you let it.......I love the response about most folks rust out vs. wearing out.

#64 ·
Windjammer is right, Out of Cincinnati, Maury Dick age 85, sons just purchased a new red 2013 wing for him. He rides with Roadrunner and others every Tuesday, weather permitting. (a two wheel wing) He also rides with other groups in the southwest Ohio area, Probably about 3-4 days a week. He is my idol. Hope I am alive at 85 let alone on a wing.

#66 ·
Bob oldwinger - 83 years young

Thank-you to each and everyone of you that responded.....you guys are leading us into our motorcycling future......I appreciate reading all of your wonderful responses.....you guys are really cool.

:1st: Bob oldwinger was the most senior rider to respond and thus gets the recognition of this thread as the man of wisdom and the leader of this pack.....two rounds of applause please...:bow:

I wish you many more happy years in the saddle Bob.......keep us youngsters posted and advised...:thumbup:

#69 ·
Older Riders

Just turned 72 in November and riding 2007 GL 1800, my 4th GL since 1981. Nothing better and around 10k a year.

#70 ·
who is the gl1800.com oldest riding member

LEO CHLEBNIKOW, from Paramus N.J., January 23, 97 years young. Rides his bike to the Americade each year, rain or shine.for the last 27years. Also rides the PolarBearGrandTour.com if you want to see pics. He rides a trike now. and may God bless him for many more. God willing, he will be at the Americade this year too. He also does the "Ride for Kids."

Jay

#73 ·
I will be 73 in June. I still ride 1,000 mile days with my son BGBLK06. We rode to Alaska last summer 12,000 miles. We take a 16 day west cost trip each summer, 10,000 miles. Life on the Wing is still good. Be safe and enjoy the ride. LARRY

#74 ·
LEO CHLEBNIKOW, from Paramus N.J., January 23, 97 years young. Rides his bike to the Americade each year, rain or shine.for the last 27years. Also rides the PolarBearGrandTour.com if you want to see pics. He rides a trike now. and may God bless him for many more. God willing, he will be at the Americade this year too. He also does the "Ride for Kids."

Jay
I know Leo very well :thumbup: GOD BLESS HIM TEN TIMES !!!!!! :thumbup:
:thumbup: Leo is the BEST!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.