Install Dynabeads and how they work...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install Dynabeads and how they work...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Install Dynabeads and how they work...

Here is a video showing how DynaBeads work:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg&feature=related[/ame]

Here are several videos with tips on how to install Dynabeads:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAa2r0K4yJY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuDpRLRfyA4[/ame]

and then there is Innovative Balancing's website that has more instructions:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/service.htm
    Bartman

Sent from a computer that belongs to your wife/girlfriend!

2006 Premium Audio

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posting of the videos. I have heard a lot about these, talked to some have used them, talked to sceptics, and think this is a way I may head. Reading about things helps, and talking to others help, but the videos are the one thing that really helps this dummy. Guess I am a visual person
    Jeff Smith
    '03 GL 1800 Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Bump View Post
    Thanks for the posting of the videos. I have heard a lot about these, talked to some have used them, talked to sceptics, and think this is a way I may head. Reading about things helps, and talking to others help, but the videos are the one thing that really helps this dummy. Guess I am a visual person
    Hello, A freind and I just installed a new set of Stones on our 1800 and also installed dyna beads. We have put about 200 miles on our bikes since installing them and so far, we love them. The set we purchased from the following web site came with a plastic tubes. 2 OZ per tire. We removed the valve core, cut one end of the plastic tube, placed it over the stem, cut the other end of the tube and used a little air pressure to blow the beads into the tire. The only thing to remember is to have the tube securely placed on the stem and to have the stem in any postion other than 6 o'clock. You will have to use a little "air" force to blow them out of the tube, but they go in quite nicely. I have attatched the link to the web site I purchased them from and they worked alot better than the bottle and vibration method on other sites. Any questions, let me know..JT http://www.evolutioncycles.com/dynabeads.htm
    Darkside #734
    Bridgestone 709 on front
    Bridgestone Driveguard RF 195/55/R16 on rear

2002 Illusion Wing
    Bunkhouse LX
    Escapade LE
    "Ride it like your wanted dead or alive"

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, these Dynabeads work.
    I just don't get HOW they work.
    How is it possible for these little beads to seek out and run to the "wrong" side of the tire? Seems like they are defying some physical law.
    What majical stuff are they made of?
    Last edited by sofadriver; 05-11-2009 at 08:07 AM.

i don't wanna' pickle - just wanna' ride my motorsickle
    IBA 38181

Post Thanks / Like

bump

IBA 38181

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofadriver View Post
    How is it possible for these little beads to seek out and run to the "wrong" side of the tire? Seems like they are defying some physical law.
    I don't understand it either. I wish someone would/could explain the science...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
    I don't understand it either. I wish someone would/could explain the science...
    This should clear up the mystery: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

Basic physics!
    Bartman

Sent from a computer that belongs to your wife/girlfriend!

2006 Premium Audio

Post Thanks / Like

Sofa Driver, I think they are made from some type of ceramic material, but I could be wrong. I have been told by my wife that I have been wrong in the past, so I cannot commit to 100% on this issue..lol
    Darkside #734
    Bridgestone 709 on front
    Bridgestone Driveguard RF 195/55/R16 on rear

2002 Illusion Wing
    Bunkhouse LX
    Escapade LE
    "Ride it like your wanted dead or alive"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    This should clear up the mystery: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

Basic physics!
    Hey, thanks!

Now let's try it with marbles just for fun! Ball bearings? Theoreticaly, I guess it would work with golf balls! Be a helluva ride if it didn't, though!

IBA 38181

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks!

Now let's try it with marbles just for fun! Ball bearings? Theoreticaly, I guess it would work with golf balls! Be a helluva ride if it didn't, though!

marbles would work nicely in a giant tire like one off of a 747. But, they would be a very crowded in a little motorcycle tire.

I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability.

For some folks, there's Therapy.
    For the rest of us, There are MOTORCYCLES!
    Darkside 843

Jimmy & Tracy Chance
    Machinist and Mechanic
    Savannah GA

912-665-1846 Cell
    jchance369@aol.com
    [/color][/b]
    2008 Suz Hayabusa
    ​2011 Ninja 1000
    2013 GL1800
    2013 Concours 1400

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not just for tubeless tires...

I usually static balance the tires on my 2001 Honda Shadow Aero each year to make sure they stay balanced due to wear. I installed 2 oz of Dynabeads in each tubed tire and I can tell the Dynabeads work as advertised.

How do they work? I don't know. But I'm happy and will be using the Dynabeads going forward on whatever I'm riding.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think i can use them on my 09 with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Won't they clog or block the sensor in the rim?

Darksider #961
    IBA #38232

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I installed dyna beads a few weeks ago and they are hard to blow in with the bottle that they supply. I have a engine cleaning blow gun like this:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97014
    and it worked great installing the dyna beads. I used the bottle to fill the supplied installation tube about half full, then the cone shaped head of the gun was held in palce and a small blast of air blew them into the tire. I had them all in a short time.

I use this method for instaling tire sealant in my ATV tires. I drill a hole in the bottom of the bottle and blast the gook into the tire.
    2003 Candy Red ABS
    Bushtec Turbo 2+2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwiley View Post
    I dont think i can use them on my 09 with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Won't they clog or block the sensor in the rim?
    I would think that the Dyna Beads would work just fine. The TPMS is mounted to the rim and the beads travel around the inside surface of the tire; Centripetal Force. They may fall or bounce off of the TPMS as the rotation slows or if you came to a quick stop however I think you have nothing to fear.
    Bob

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the 09 Honda TPMS, but some of those that have seen it seem to think it (the beads) might interfere with the TPMS.

Quote Originally Posted by bwiley View Post
    Richard
    Winchester, VA
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big fan of Dyna Beads but I have reservations about putting them in my 09 with TPMS. I don't think they can be installed through the valve stem either. That isn't a big deal, but it means having to break the bead on the tire and install them that way. The other thing that bothers me is the beads tend to rub on the inside of the tire and create a lot of tire dust, I can't help believe that this will find it way into the Pressure Sensor and cause a malfunction.

Darkside 843

Jimmy & Tracy Chance
    Machinist and Mechanic
    Savannah GA

912-665-1846 Cell
    jchance369@aol.com
    [/color][/b]
    2008 Suz Hayabusa
    ​2011 Ninja 1000
    2013 GL1800
    2013 Concours 1400

Post Thanks / Like

So am I to understand from that video of the water bottle, that you will have an unbalanced wobble at low speeds, especially after a stop?

I am asking this as opposed to a properly (and I say properly) weight balanced tire that should be balanced at any speed.

In town riding could cause early wear with the dynabeads?

I'm wondering if it just wouldn't be good in the long run to invest a little money in a tire balancer and use weights.

Just thinking out loud here. Not sure which way to go for myself.

Post Thanks / Like

So if you balance your tires with a balancer,as the tire wears do you think it stays balanced? I use Dyna Beads and they work perfectly,JMHO I think my tires are much more balanced than most tires , especially after you get a few hundred miles on them.Dynabeads are very smooth at all speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywing View Post
    So if you balance your tires with a balancer,as the tire wears do you think it stays balanced? I use Dyna Beads and they work perfectly,JMHO I think my tires are much more balanced than most tires , especially after you get a few hundred miles on them.Dynabeads are very smooth at all speeds.

Welcome to the "lightside" FW!!
    Silly Rabbit…Trix are for Kids.

KTM Super Duke R - MotoHooliganized

www.superduke.net
    US Navy 69-73
    FASOTRAGRUPAC - SERE Instructor
    USS Chicago CG-11

Post Thanks / Like

Ok does that mean i get a number and a sticker for the light side.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the U-Tube with the beads being added to the stem of the MC tire; DO NOT, repeat -- DO NOT twist your valve stem like that!

Ask the manufacturer if the beads may harm the sensors. I doubt it since the sensors are pressure sensitive electronic crystals; right?

Do motorcycle tires lose their static balance as the tires wear? Evidently, NO. I change my own tires and the old tires and balance with the lead weights is consistently still right on when I check them before breaking the beads. All bets are OFF if you wear them down to where big patches of cording are showing. Of course; if I continue to use dyna-beads, I will not be able to check old balance conditoin.

Do the beads work on your cycle? Like Smokey Bear says; "Only you" can tell. If you do not use any means to balance the tires, it is not uncommon for everything to be "great", so how are ya gonna tell? After a traditional static balance with lead weight that resulted in smoth running and clear mirrors, I intentionally created an unbalanced conditon on my last set of GL1800 tires so that I could detect fuzzing of the mirrors -- even that early indication of poor balance took quite a bit of added weight just opposite of where it was really needed. Then I added the magic pearls of wisdom; they actually helped reduce the vibration, but DID NOT totally eliminate it! I removed the intentionally wrong weight and the mirrors were "clear" with just the beads. I replaced the proper clip weight to the correct postion and left the little magic pearls in and again the mirrors were clear.

*So; maybe they do help.
    *They seem to do no harm (that is good).
    *There seems to be no problem (so far) using them WITH the static balance weights in place.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

When I first put dynabeads into my 09 (with TPMS), we broke the bead and put them in that way.When I put them in my rear tire. we used the tool etcher to vibrate the stem. Either way, the beads work great, and have no adverse effect on the TPMS.
    2010 Yellow GL1800
    Jacksonville, AR

Post Thanks / Like

That is good news, I had heard that it wasn't reccommended to use them with TPMS but I really didn't understand how it could adversely affect it.

Thanks for the update

Darkside 843

Jimmy & Tracy Chance
    Machinist and Mechanic
    Savannah GA

912-665-1846 Cell
    jchance369@aol.com
    [/color][/b]
    2008 Suz Hayabusa
    ​2011 Ninja 1000
    2013 GL1800
    2013 Concours 1400

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this thread a couple weeks ago and finding out where to get the Dyna Beads I ordered the kit last week. The kit arrived today however I have to wait till I get back to Florida before I can install them.

PS: Truckers used the bead technology years ago. They were inside a hoop that attached to the back side of the rim. I prefer them being inside the tire.
    GWRRA # 215175 since 05
    USAF 1960-1964
    2004 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry

I'm a geezer

Prowler # 45

A stranger is nothing more than a friend you havn't met yet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywing View Post
    Well actually I wouldn't have any way to know if the tire stays balanced. On my cages I have the tires balanced only when new and when I have them rotated.
    I was just wondering out loud about the dyna beads with all the starting and stopping. I assume it takes a bit of travel before the beads settle into the place they will need to fall into in order to balance the tire. It's always an interesting topic. I have interest in the input of those who use them and those who don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Saunders View Post
    PS: Truckers used the bead technology years ago. They were inside a hoop that attached to the back side of the rim. I prefer them being inside the tire.
    I have heard that same thing, Wayne. I don't know what that means though. I drove otr for a few years and really never considered that trucking gave me any expertise in tires and balancing. I did develop the habit of checking my tire pressure at every stop, mostly by thumping the tire, but once a day with a gauge. We never used any sort of bead system but rather had our tires spin balanced. It would have been interesting to try that system back then. I might have a little more insight into using dyna beads in my bike tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Install Dynabeads

For those with '09 tpms, here is the scoop. The sensor inside the wheels is like a donut. The electronics is inside that donut. The valve stem/90 degree passes through the middle of the donut. Hence, you do not have to worry about installing the beads through the 90 degree stem. But........
    go very slow, as you will slug/dam up the beads at the 90 degree if you go to fast. Take a screw driver and tap the 90 degree stem to help them pass through. With that small bottle with the 4" of 1/4" tubing it is very easy to clog the stem. Get about 18" of the tubing and you can control the flow of the beads easier buy streaming them down the tubing.
    Buckskin
    "The go to guy for exchange chrome wheels" and Dynabeads.
    buckskin55@sbcglobal.net
    And VERY soon tire pressure monitor for bikes/trikes/trailers/sidecars”

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dyna Beads...

I first installed the Dyna Beads about a year ago when I change tires on my new M109R. I was concern because my rear tire was a 260 mm. WOW! What a difference. Now, the tire quality help as well. Metzeler. My V-Twin ran so smooth that I order them for my Brand new Goldwing and I tell you guys my bike is perfectly smooth at all speeds. Here in Florida everything is straight so we do not have twisties but I tell you for the Florida riding is the best. I will not use any other balancing method in any of my bikes again other than the Dyna Beads.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dyna Beads on a cage?

Will they wirk on a cage. My wife is always throwing the weights on our van.

TIA,
    Larry

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dyna Ceramic Beads

See page 5 of Feb 2010 Motorcycle Consumer News. From the article:

"Bottom line: Save your money for a proper spin balance."

That being said, seemed to work great on my Rune...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.