GL1800Riders Forums banner

Over oiled K&N air filter

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  chuck_b24 
#1 ·
What are the effects of an over oiled K&N air filter?
When I test rode the engine stumbled badly when I opened the throttle.
What should I look for beside cleaning the excess oil out of the filter?
Thanks.

#2 ·
The K&N filter kit has a spray cleaner as well as the spray oil. Spray cleaner cleans up with water. Directions on cleaner are straight forward. Clean it and read direction carefully on how to oil it. I have a K&N in my 81 wing and never had issues but the key it not to over oil the filter!!!

#4 ·
The K&N filter kit has a spray cleaner as well as the spray oil. Spray cleaner cleans up with water. Directions on cleaner are straight forward. Clean it and read direction carefully on how to oil it. I have a K&N in my 81 wing and never had issues but the key it not to over oil the filter!!!
What he said, RTFM. You may want to replace the spark plugs due to the oil bath you gave them.

#6 ·
I have just got my first 1800, so I'm not sure yet, what the fuel injection system has, but all fuel injection systems I have ever worked on, have had problems with the throttle body having to be cleaned once in a while, I would also think that there is a mass air flow sensor, don' know if it is before the air filter or after it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.