This is what happen to me - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is what happen to me

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

(I have seen many universal joint failures in my time . The latest one I know of was my frind's almost new Champion trike. Those are Toyota universals I am told and certainly are up to the task. There are a multitude of reasons why a U-joint might go bad. Some are lubed for lifetime (whatever that is!) and others like the Motor Trike happen to use a Ford universal and the rear one does require lubing. It is an easy chore to pull the driveshaft on a Motor trike for lubing and inspection. In summary I have to say that no one can be absolutely sure when a u-joint is going to go bad. It IS of course prudent to inspect it for any slack or unusual problems. Even then you could drive 100 miles later and have one fail. Maybe that why most auto stores carry a fair selection in stock...ya think??

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Dean & I rode our CSC this past weekend with a couple on a Champion Conversion. He told me that he had a driveshaft issue about a week before.

In his words "the universal joint exploded". He also indicated he had only 16,000 miles.

OOOHH, he also stressed that when he called Champion, they refused to warrenty the issue, blaming him on not properly using the grease zerk.

The Champion repair dealer had to "Drop the entire rear end to make that repair on Steve's nickel". OUCH...!!!! 16,000 miles on the trike.
    Ride Safe, Ride Often
    Wilson Boudreaux
    from Cajun Country
    http://picasaweb.google.com/WilBoud
    Acadiana SCRC #239 Road Captain
    '05 Wing CSC Trike Dark Grey Metallic (Blue Steel)
    '05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe Black/Red (Raven)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lehman Trike U joint

The rear one has a grease zerk. The front one is encased like in a race car, so even if it "blew up", I don't think it would wrap up any wiring. Going to call my dealer and asK, "Should I remove my driveshaft to service that joint" Thanks everybody for bringing up a potential problem. Will post what I learn Friday morning. Johnny aka IOWASTROKER

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of questions:

1. Does the CSC update include a new driveshaft/yoke and do they still use the 1500 yoke and is it still exposed.

2. I know that DFT and Hannigan utilize the 1800 swingarm assembly thus keeping the u-joint enclosed, the question is: does anyone else enclose the front u-joint?

From what I hear and see it is imperative to service the front yoke/u-joint on the CSC on a regular basis, is this the case with any other kit?

Wayne
    Wayne Thais

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

T DubT...yes indeed it is a required service on the Motor Trike. Incidently I don't understand why the poster that wrote 'they had to remove the entire rearend to fix the driveshaft' That doesn't make any sense at all. My friends Champion had the same mileage and it was taken care of very quickly in warranty with no questions. You certainly don't have to remove the entire rear end to remove and or repair the driveshaft. And the other thing is, why would it NOT be in warranty?

Post Thanks / Like

I removed the driveshaft every year on my previous Motortrike for lube and u-joint inspection. Also removed, cleaned and lubed the ladder bars.
    2002 Orange Goldwing DFT Trike

Post Thanks / Like

Default U-joint failure:(

I did call my Lehman dealer this morning. Lehman uses the OEM driveshaft. U-joint is sealed: needs no lubrication. Honda, if they are having a good day, greases the spline. When Al did my conversion, he also grease it. He saids there should be no problem. Johnny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
    I removed the driveshaft every year on my previous Motortrike for lube and u-joint inspection. Also removed, cleaned and lubed the ladder bars.

Ain't that overkill all you have to do is spray a good silicone grease or lube on the Hiem Joints.........
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2012-GL1800,Hannigan Gen2
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5IX View Post
    Ain't that overkill all you have to do is spray a good silicone grease or lube on the Hiem Joints.........
    I got this suggestion from Bud Redmond, one of the most respected trike riders on the GWRRA forum. He had a MT until he quit riding and rode it , I think, in all the lower 48. He had a website at the time describing in detail the procedure and it is not a big job. There were so many different suggestions regarding the heim joint lube that I came to the conclusion that no one new for sure what was best, especially MT. I ask on this forum as well with varying opinions so I decided to do what made me more comfortable. I had all winter doing nothing anyway. I am guilty often of "overkill" but it is better then not doing enough or guessing if what I did is good enough. Probably not for everyone but if I still had my MT, I would still be doing this maintenance.
    2002 Orange Goldwing DFT Trike

Post Thanks / Like

Doing it that way will certainly give you piece of mind that is for sure.

I guess I am getting lazy in my old age
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2012-GL1800,Hannigan Gen2
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I do on my Motor Trike. ( I know, you didn't ask) My '02 was triked in 9/05 and I now have 30K on the kit. I (my installer friend) greases the U-joint every 5K and removes and greases the spline every 15K...it is due next week. I change the oil with Mobil 1, 15W-50 systhetic and a Honda filter every 8K (which I buy for $5.99 each). We check and lub all heim joints and all nuts, etc. As mentioned before, he has an auto lift with a modification to fit trikes. This is so we can walk under the trikes with ease. He does a lot of work on trikes. While he is a CSC dealer, he has owned a Motor Trike and is very familiar with MT, Champion and Hannigan, as several of his customers (friends) own these kits. It is a good deal for me. Just my .02.
    Riding a red '11 Can-Am RT-S Spyder, and a '02 Orange GW/'05 Motor Trike kit.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. Retird USAF and Sony Corp. MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IOWASTROKER View Post
    I did call my Lehman dealer this morning. Lehman uses the OEM driveshaft. U-joint is sealed: needs no lubrication. Honda, if they are having a good day, greases the spline. When Al did my conversion, he also grease it. He saids there should be no problem. Johnny
    I sure question that statement. It may be lubed and sealed, requiring no further lubrication in the eyes of the manufacturer if used for what it was designed for, but I would bet they lubed it before sealing it. If it needs no lubrication, why did Al grease it??? And why does Honda lubricate it on a good day?

A Univerisal Joint is metal that is rubbing against metal with roller bearings between. Yoou think roller bearings that have had mud, water, calcium cloride, and road grime shoved in them will last forever? Why is everyone so dead set on not wanting to put two cents worth of grease on the wear points? I learned a long time ago about silicone spray on roller bearings. And that was before I saw what Prestone does to rod bearings. So, every winter when I have nothing better to do than maintain the trike or sit in front of the computer, I yank the driveline and lube everything on both ends. Found its a lot easier then than alongside the road, out of cell range, 120 degrees and no shade, and finding my towing by HRCA was cancelled.

I also found out you can learn a lot, laying under a trike, checking for loose and worn stuff.
    Last edited by IR Harry; 05-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trike fix

That is the way Guy's ,I think so too .both Great people and good at what they do Install trike" kits "they don't build the kit but I am sure they have Ideas how they could change one to make it better .JM2$
    2008 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
    2003 GL1800 candy orange

Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 06 and older Cobras have a drive shaft that is running in 2 angles. The normal up/down and the other to accomodate the off center output of the motor. In 07 CSC added a transfer case to the front of the differential to get rid of the offset angle.

What contribution to his worn out U joint was the offcenter drive. I think there have been posts by owners of the older Cobras about their having driveline vibrations at 80 mph.
    Burn out don't rust out
    2002GL1800 Hers
    2007GL1800 ABS CSC trike His
    Bushtec (kitchen) Kwick Kamp (Bedroom)
    Ironbutt Assoc.
    Old coots on scoots
    Operate your helmet holders via your bikes remote. pm or email for details.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default torque

I don't think the weight of the trike effects the torque. Torque is Power divided by the rotational speed times 2 PI. I don't see resistance as being in the equation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Dave Pomeroy

03 Gl1800 with 08 Roadsmith

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoms View Post
    I don't think the weight of the trike effects the torque. Torque is Power divided by the rotational speed times 2 PI. I don't see resistance as being in the equation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Dave Pomeroy

Although I'm not an engineer I would think the force exerted on all the moving, twisting parts trying to push the Trike along have a greater strain factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Why did CSC spend those R&D $$$'s to come up with the new $1800 transfer case design? Is it because it puts the drive shaft back in-line? We've all read of the complaint of the CSC driveline vibrations; breakages. Companies usually don't throw money in the wind unless they think that they will be saving money, in the long run. We also know that the manufacturers are on this forum. Would someone from CSC tell us why you went to the new transfer case?

Jeeps Wranglers, YJ's, and TJ's, have off-center drive train. Anyone who has ever done any SERIOUS (the important word here is SERIOUS) 4-wheeling with them always carries a couple of spare U-joints, because they are going to break, along with the front axle U-joints. Someone then came upon an idea of a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator), that added 3.5-4 to the YJ and up to 6 on a TJ, drive line. Because it increased the length of the drive line, it reduced the drive shaft angle; thus eliminating driveline vibrations and most breakages. The newer Rubicon models are now using this. Could it be the acute drive line angle on the off-set CSC drive shafts is the cause of the U-joint breakages? Just asking!!!!!

Wayne
    Wayne Sawyer
    Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
    Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
    U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
    '08 GL Hannigan

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
    Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.