GL1800Riders Forums banner

Another frame crack - solved by Honda!

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  wmduncan42 
#1 ·
In late December I posted about a crack found in the subframe of my 03. Fortunately, from the information shared on this forum I knew to look for it, and indeed found the problem when it was still small. The crack was in the same location as other owners of the early 1800's have found - in the subframe under the passenger floorboards. I took the bike to my dealer, and within very short order they had approval from Honda for a goodwill warranty frame replacement. I removed all the extras that I had mounted over the years, and agreed to pay the labor for any time over the factory approved time alloted. Very fair in my view - since I did not purchase the bike from this dealer and I was a new customer for them on this job.

On Saturday I picked up my bike with it's new frame and all work completed - less than 4 weeks from the initial call to the dealer! They and the factory came through and supported another Honda customer.

The service managers at the dealer were great - and allowed me to come out nightly during the week that they were working on my ride to take pictures, ask questions, and inspect components of the bike that you cannot see when it is all put together.

Kudos to Honda Powersports of Marysville and the factory reps. I was major league apprehensive about this process, and not just a little worried about the bike coming home as good if not better than it left home. Their technician did a masterful job and the service managers were great to work with.

I would not hesitate to visit them again for any reason, and would recommend that anyone else do the same!

:lol::lol::lol:

See less See more
#2 ·
frame repair

Good on you to take the time to share a good experience with a dealership that went out of its way to take care of a customer. Nice job!:thumbup:

#3 ·
Wow, that was quick! I have a similar, but smaller, crack in my '03. I posted pics of it on the thread you originally posted on your frame crack. I will be taking mine in this week to the dealer for an analysis. Did the work performed by Honda of Marysville end up costing you any money?

#5 ·
cost

Yes, I did pay for 4 hours of labor to cover the time that they needed over the factory allowance, and also for a few maintenance items that I asked them to perform. I was fortunate to have a master honda technician with frame experience on the job. I think this was very fair, knowing that the time that the factory gives them to build a bike is in optimal conditions with no wear or dirt or frozen fittings. In the process, it also took care of my planned winter maintenance - I was due for coolant change and brake and clutch fluid changes this winter. Win - win in my book.

#6 ·
It always pleases me to read about major win-win success stories like this involving dealerships and their service departments. Congratulations on a 100% success. My guess is your attitude and the way you communicated with your dealership helped significantly in the final outcome.

#7 ·
Threads like this remind me of why I don't want to buy a BMW.

#10 ·
I applaud you in getting back to us about a wonderful Honda dealership... Although I'm in Massachusetts, and no where near your area, it's always nice to hear good things about someone instead negitive remarks...:yes1::yes1::yes1:

#11 ·
Thanks for reporting your positive experience with Honda and a dealer. I had one similar when my '10 under original warranty had warped brake disks. One dealer was a jerk, but Cupi's in N. Pekin IL agreed with me that the disks were warped enough to effect safety, and went to bat for me. Honda did agree and I got my bike back with properly operating brakes. Thanks to Cupi's excellent mechanic and owner, and to Mother Honda for taking care of this customer.

#15 ·
Always grea to hear about a dealer that cares. Thanks for the report. The Honda dealer that was in Thousand Oaks Ca. has been closed for several years. Their service rep would only do warrentee repairs if there was a Honda buelliton that they received. Everything else was $$$$ from customers! Yep.... they are now out of business, but not from that.... the owner decided not to pay sales tax for a few years. He now has a new home.... rent free... 3 hots and a cot!

Corventure Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.