Do I need to register my motorcycle trailer?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do I need to register my motorcycle trailer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need to register my motorcycle trailer?

I know that in Tennessee I don't need to put a license plate on my trailer; but do I need to register it with the state?

In the air, or on the ground; I love my wing's

26 year old Bushtec trailer (customized)

Darksider #376
    Michelin "Pilot Primacy" 195/55/ R 16 (40 PSI)
    Bridgestone Battlax-BT45 130/70-18 (38 PSI)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

The answer is no. But I have tried twice to register my Bushtec. Both times the lady at the clerks office talked me out of it, and giving me a letter to carry showing no registration is necessary even out of state. That being said, I was questioned in Kansas and Colorado about not having a tag. A friend got a ticket in NM for not having a tag.I am still thinking about registering mine just to avoid the hassles.
    03 Silver *148,000 miles of fun*
    94 Bushtec trailer
    IBA# 45698

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Tejas sucks !! Same price as a car or pickup.. about 25 bucks a year for plates on it... I lived in Oregon (Free) and New Mexico (Free) and moved here like a dummy I don't know yet, but on cars and motorcycles, you have to pass a safety test, Costs about 15 bucks, they just look at your lights and if they work, they give you a sticker.. So at this point, I am going to say it will also need to pass a safety check.

JMHO

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in TN and own several trailers that are not required to be registered. I have chosen to register them. That places them and their VIN#'s in the "System" and takes care of any problem in other states. In TN it is a one-time fee so I say do it.
    Wayne & CoRider: Cindy the Red-Headed Irish Princess
    02 GL1800 Bridgestone Battlax BT-45R 130/70H18 @ 38 PSI Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16 @35psi
    99 TimeOut Trailer Carlisle 4.80X12 @20psi
    1st Wing - 86 GL1200
    AMA #1031006 DSI #148

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a related question....

I have a trailer registered in Michigan, with a permanent plate as they use there.

Having moved to Tennessee, I think I'll just leave the Michigan plate on the trailer. The plate won't expire, since it's "permanent", so I'm thinking that should be ok. Tennessee shouldn't care, since they don't even require plates.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
    Jerry and Connie
    Proud parents of a US Marine!

'02 Illusion Red

Post Thanks / Like

I would take your plate off. As a LEO for more than 30 years, we don't like to see people living in one place and vehicles (trailers) registered in another. To much chance of funny business.

Since it is a one time charge to register in TN, I'd just go ahead and do that. That way if it's ever stolen, and then recovered by the police, they can return it to you.

Burt
    The older I get, the better and faster I was.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked into this for a boat trailer we had. It was about $90 one time, just like the one put on an 18 wheeler trailer. They transfered me over to the Secretary of State of Tennessee, who said he had been pulled over a couple times in Kentucky for no tag, but after explaining to the cop was sent on with no ticket. He said I could get one, but he never did. Now, that is an adjacent state. I kind of worry about going further away. Oh yeah, the problems of living in a state that doesn't try to license and tax every step you take!
    Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    LIMNCS #632 DS#1085 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP #19
    Trialsman Seminar Videos
    Swapping the Rear Wheel by Laying Her Down (youtube)

Post Thanks / Like

Registering your trailer also helps if you ever sell it. I bought one in Oklahoma (no license required) and recieved the Certicate of Origin from the previous owner. When I went to register and tag it in Arkansas I was given the runaround by the DMV about it never being registered, and it would have to be treated like a "lost title" vehicle, needing a value assessment by the state, and release by the state troopers. I went to a small local town's revenue office and just gave them an itemized bill of sale along with the certificate, and it was no problem.
    Never underestimate the power of a large group of fools.

2008 Titanium Premium Audio
    Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP 195/55/16 Run Flat
    Darksider #448

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=880&pictureid=4661

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boxmaker View Post
    The answer is no. But I have tried twice to register my Bushtec. Both times the lady at the clerks office talked me out of it, and giving me a letter to carry showing no registration is necessary even out of state. That being said, I was questioned in Kansas and Colorado about not having a tag. A friend got a ticket in NM for not having a tag.I am still thinking about registering mine just to avoid the hassles.
    I finally put a tag on mine. To me it is worth the money to avoid any hassles while out of state.The clerk gave me a "semi" tag. pay the fee one time and you're done.
    03 Silver *148,000 miles of fun*
    94 Bushtec trailer
    IBA# 45698

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.