Auxiliary Fuel Tank
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Auxiliary Fuel Tank

I was wondering how many really use the auxiliary fuel tank. I do not have one and can go 150 miles before I need to start looking for fuel, however after about 75 I am ready to get off the trike/stretch/use the bathroom/get a drink etc.

So my question is basically: How important is the extra tank, from what I hear it is expensive and sometimes troublesome.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
    Wayne Thais

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, ditto.....
    Riding a red '11 Can-Am RT-S Spyder, and a '02 Orange GW/'05 Motor Trike kit.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

If you have not been to Luckenbach, you have not completed your journey.

MY NAME IS GEORGE LEWIS. MY EMAIL IS: scoot62@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default I like mine!

Wayne,

You are correct, it is an expensive option. I use mine all the time. I don't like having to make every stop at a gas station. It comes in handy when riding with a group of 2 wheelers as they don't have to stop as often for me to fill up. Last year when many of the gas stations in the TN/NC area were out of gas, it was real nice to have that reserve waiting.

So I don't regret spending the extra money for the convenience it provides.

Jay & Maria
    SOLD the trike but still like haggin around!

beastie

I had a Cobra with the Aux tank, so naturally I always used it. But I really like having the extra fuel and not having to fill up as often.

Those of you who say you need to stop after 100 miles or so and that's why you don't need or want one. When you stop for gas, do you only put 3 gallons in? Because that should get you 100 miles. Or do you fill it up? I'll bet you fill it up.

Contributing Member CadtoChrome's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On the Cobra (the extra tank is connected directly to the main tank, so it always is working) the extra tank is $580, yes pretty expensive, however if you keep your trike oh-say 5 yrs that brings it to $116/yr or $0.32/day to have the ability to say NO to a gas station once in a while.

There is an old saying for those folks that fly airplanes.

There is only ONE time that you can have too much fuel, and that is when your on the ground and on fire!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Don. I don't care much to ride over a hundred miles without stopping and stretching:and quite often, even much less.

Wayne, we have an auxiliary fuel tank and I use it all the time. I don't want to wait for the time when we really need it to find a problem. When we decided to make our order at Hannigan, the boss told me to get everything that I wanted because there would be NO coming back. Now, I’ve never said that I was smart, but I haven’t gone back for anything, either.

Wayne

Last edited by wasaw; 06-20-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Wayne Sawyer
    Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
    Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
    U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
    '08 GL Hannigan

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
    Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one and I use it; I did that because of some of the trips I want to take are in some less populated areas and want the reserve.
    Also, like Wayne, the boss said this is it, you better get everything you want.
    She also said "if you're spending this kind of money, what's a another 600 bucks".
    Marty
    08 Pearl White Hannigan

Post Thanks / Like

I use mine also since it works with out intervention on the CSC.

1. I like having the option of going to the next station w/o out being forced to stop at the first one I see.

2. Most of my riding is local and it allows me to fill up less often.

3. I remember the gas crunch of the 70's and the little crunch of 2008. Where filling stations ran out of gas and u couldn't depend on being able to fill up at every one.

It just gives me a little peace of mind.

07-black and red - Suzuki VL800 Boulevard (C50), 03-candy red - GL1800 ABS w/08 CSC Trike kit.
    Past: 98-Valkyrie Tour, 75-Honda CB750 K5, 67-Yamaha 200, 57 Cushman, 49-Cushman - Inverted Bath tub

> I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. - Groucho Marx

beastie

Quote Originally Posted by wasaw View Post
    When we decided to make our order at Hannigan, the boss told me to get everything that I wanted because there would be NO coming back. Now, I’ve never said that I was smart, but I haven’t gone back for anything, either.

Wayne

I love it.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion an auxiliary fuel tank is a major convenience item. To me at least, it is worth more than floor boards which cost twice as much or chromium looking farkles, teddy bears, etc. that can easily total up to even more money.

Troublesome? I had a Hannigan and now have a Roadsmith. Neither have been troublesome in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by DubT View Post
    I was wondering how many really use the auxiliary fuel tank. I do not have one and can go 150 miles before I need to start looking for fuel, however after about 75 I am ready to get off the trike/stretch/use the bathroom/get a drink etc.

So my question is basically: How important is the extra tank, from what I hear it is expensive and sometimes troublesome.

Please let me know your experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Ben, which do you like best....the Hannigan or Roadsmith? Just wondering. MT does not offer the auxilary tank and I have only needed one while riding in west Texas. Usually I ride with a bunch of old guys and we stop at ice houses every 100 miles or so....I would probably get it if it were offered.

How does each fill. I know some are gravity and some have pumps. Some have seperate fill tubes and some fill only from the main. Again, just wondering.

Only have 49,000 on my trike, just getting broken in....damn, I will never wear the thing out so I can get another one.....ha ha

It have been a little warm in Boerne, is it warm in Austin?

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
    Ben, which do you like best....the Hannigan or Roadsmith? Just wondering. MT does not offer the auxilary tank and I have only needed one while riding in west Texas. Usually I ride with a bunch of old guys and we stop at ice houses every 100 miles or so....I would probably get it if it were offered.

How does each fill. I know some are gravity and some have pumps. Some have seperate fill tubes and some fill only from the main. Again, just wondering.

Only have 49,000 on my trike, just getting broken in....damn, I will never wear the thing out so I can get another one.....ha ha

It have been a little warm in Boerne, is it warm in Austin?
    George,
    You are asking me to get myself in trouble! <Big Grin> First off, Global Warming came to Austin early this Summer. Many from Austin are summering in Hades to cool off!
    You may recall that the Hannigan trike that I had was built on a BMWK1200LT chassis and the Roadsmith is on a GL1800 chassis so there is a difference that goes beyond the trike kit. I sold the Hannigan in a weak moment and realized almost instantly that I made a mistake. There are lots of things that attract me to both Hannigan and Roadsmith. Both made my short list when I first shopped for a trike. In most ways they are very similar. In no particular order, both have large trunks, the build quality and fit and finish are similarly excellent. Both employ very straightforward and unomplicated IRS rear suspensions with similarly comfortable ride quality, in my opinion. The auxiliary fuel tanks on both are filled seperately and employ electric pumps to transfer fuel to the main tank. Neither have been problematical. I think the Roadsmith is a bit less expensive (new) than the Hannigan and therefore a very good value. That said, I think most folks would be very pleased with either.
    Now to your question that will get me in trouble. For me, Hannigan has a slight edge in handling which may stem from the BMW Telelever front suspension and wider rear track. I may also be biassed in favor of the Hannigan because of the BMW's lower fuel consumption.
    Before the arrows fly, let me say that I think all the trike kits are good and that what suits me may not suit everyone. As a point of interest (perhaps) my short list also included DFT and Motor Trike which do not (currently) offer auxiliary tanks. My Hannigan did not have floor boards and the Roadsmith does. All things considered, I prefer without, but that's just me...
    Last edited by ben721364; 06-21-2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: addition

Seasoned Member Motorcycle Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, JMO but I normally go 300 + before fill up. Coming out west this week I did one stretch of 335 and put exactly 9 gallons in, so by my calculation I could go to 373 miles before she has to get off and push.

Mad Jack
    Kewl Blue - 05 ABS GL1800 '08 CSC trike

Me TOO!
    WE ARE NOT HUMAN BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE.
    WE ARE SPIRITUAL BEINGS GOING THROUGH A TEMPORARY HUMAN EXPERIENCE

Squating Member
    Post Thanks / Like

expensive? heck, the whole thing was expensive

I like having it for insurance if nothing else...we stop often too, but once and a while you can get where the fuel is sparse....some of them closed etc...so having the peace of mind to have that extra fuel on board is nice...not necessary but nice...

Hers-2007 Goldwing CSC Trike, Silver
    His-2013 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic, Hot White Pearl.
    Bushtec Roadstar,
    Blue Knights KYII, Life Member HOG,Iron Butt Member,AMA Member

Post Thanks / Like

Living in Wyoming I enjoy the convenience of not having to worry about whether the next town has a gas station AND if it is even open. The aux. tank was a no-brainer for me. Although I have been called a no-brainer before and well, let's not go there...

Very glad I opted for the aux tank!
    Kenn & Nicole Harvey

http://www.CheyenneGoldWing.com
    "Maelstrom"2004 Candy Black Cherry GL1800A,
    2008 California Side Car Cobra Trike!
    2008 CBC Escapade Elite Cargo Trailer,
    2009 Roll-a-Home Camper Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kennharvey View Post
    ..... I have been called a no-brainer before...
    Yes Ken, I know the feeling!

Wayne
    Wayne Sawyer
    Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
    Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
    U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
    '08 GL Hannigan

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
    Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When installing the extra tank on a csc do you have to take the kit off ?

Post Thanks / Like

Not all of it
    The body and tour trunk, gas tank comes out.
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2012-GL1800,Hannigan Gen2
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Post Thanks / Like

When we thought I had an issue with my aux tank leaking, CSC said that we could remove the GL tank and then work the aux tank out and put in a new one w/o taking off the body. I did not have to do that but did take both the connections on the GL tank and the aux tank and the connection hose between them off. I would think u could install the aux tank w/o out removing the body. If u are thinking about doing that, would recommend u call or email CSC. That is how CSC told the installer to swap out the aux tank. Here and instructions on installing the tank, but they are before the body has been installed.

Here are the instructions for the aux tank:
    http://www.californiasidecar.com/dow..._Tank_1-08.pdf

Here is the site that list instructions for a lot of the options and trike kit:
    http://www.californiasidecar.com/service.htm
    Last edited by cmore; 06-22-2009 at 08:18 AM.

07-black and red - Suzuki VL800 Boulevard (C50), 03-candy red - GL1800 ABS w/08 CSC Trike kit.
    Past: 98-Valkyrie Tour, 75-Honda CB750 K5, 67-Yamaha 200, 57 Cushman, 49-Cushman - Inverted Bath tub

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aux Tank

Since I bought mine already equipped, it's definitely a plus to have. I have a Roadsmith, but get around 250 miles before I need to fill up. Not sure if suspension settings and/or tire pressure give more or less, but still enjoy having a little security.

Bruce
    2004 Black Cherry Trikeshop GL1800

"Trust in the Lord..." Proverbs 3:5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kennharvey View Post
    Living in Wyoming I enjoy the convenience of not having to worry about whether the next town has a gas station AND if it is even open. The aux. tank was a no-brainer for me. Although I have been called a no-brainer before and well, let's not go there...

Very glad I opted for the aux tank!
    Worth every dime !!! Most of the time the mileage on the main tank will cover most needed pit stops. But we have been out and had to dump fuel from the aux. just to get to the next available fuel because the Mom & Pop towns in the mountains either didn't have a station or they went to bed @ 6:00. It's a peace of mind thing. When traveling out west the issue of not having one get's magnified even more.
    '02 Illusion Blue Wing w/'08 Traxxionized Hannigan Kit
    '03 Bushtec Quantum GL

There is nothing more uncommon than common sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben and other's....I did not state my question very well. I did not wish to get into which kit is best...only the aux. tanks. I know some fill through the OEM tank and other's have a second fuel intake. Which kit has which...?? Like the CSC fills through the OEM intake and I think Hannigan has a intake on the left fender. What do other kits have? Just wondering which is the most convenient. Waiting for gas to siphon from one tank to a second seems time consuming to me....the second filler seems more convenient. Hey, I have neither with my MT and after reading the comments, would get it if offered on my next trike. (will never wear this thing out...note to self, leave key in ignition)

How long does it take for gas to siphon from main to aux? Be honest. Could air locks develop? I do read of problems with some of the systems, kinks, etc Just wondering....thanks.

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ben and other's....I did not state my question very well. I did not wish to get into which kit is best...only the aux. tanks. I know some fill through the OEM tank and other's have a second fuel intake. Which kit has which...?? Like the CSC fills through the OEM intake and I think Hannigan has a intake on the left fender. What do other kits have? Just wondering which is the most convenient. Waiting for gas to siphon from one tank to a second seems time consuming to me....the second filler seems more convenient. Hey, I have neither with my MT and after reading the comments, would get it if offered on my next trike. (will never wear this thing out...note to self, leave key in ignition)

How long does it take for gas to siphon from main to aux? Be honest. Could air locks develop? I do read of problems with some of the systems, kinks, etc Just wondering....thanks.
    George et al. I can only speak from experience with Hannigans and Roadsmiths. They both have separate fill pipes for the auxiliary tank and both employ electric transfer pumps. It takes about 20 minutes to transfer all the fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main tank (while traveling) on the Hannigan/BMW and I think about the same length of time on the Hannigan/GL1800. Though I haven't timed it, I think the Roadsmith is similar in this regard. The aux. tank filler is on the left side of the Roadsmith and the Hannigan/GL1800. It is on the right side of the Hannigan/BMW because the main filler opening is on the right side of the K LT. I haven't had any problem whatsoever with airlocks and filling is a matter of sticking the nozzle in the openings and setting the automatic nozzle. I think both are very convenient and fast.

The way you ride and the # of miles you accumulate will have you shopping for a trike soon! You can't go wrong with another MT as long as you choose a better/faster color. <g>

Post Thanks / Like

George,

I can only speak about the CSC. Out side of taking a little more time filling up (I'm talking a couple minutes more) there's nothing else to do, the aux tank gravity feeds into the stock tank. When the fuel light comes on you still have about 3 gallons to empty (tested it).
    Keep the Shiny Side Up!

John

'06 White CSC Trike

Places I've ridden.....

The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?

Post Thanks / Like

Like others on this board, I would not convert without the extra tank.

My first extended trike tour was, amongst other places, Neveda and Utah.

On two occassions I found myself being forced to roll beyond the limits of the Honda tank. When we finally found an open station, the trike took more than seven gallons. In my opinion, without the reserve tank, we were in deep do-do.

IF available, get the extra tank, and never have to worry again.....!!!!

If there isn't an available extra tank for your trike, riding Ut 95, and US 50 in Neveda on a Sunday may not be in your best interest.

I hope to see some of you in Russellville....!!!

Ride Safe, Ride Often
    Wilson Boudreaux
    from Cajun Country
    http://picasaweb.google.com/WilBoud
    Acadiana SCRC #239 Road Captain
    '05 Wing CSC Trike Dark Grey Metallic (Blue Steel)
    '05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe Black/Red (Raven)

Post Thanks / Like

Mine CSC doesn't take long. I just put the fill nozzle on first or second notch and wait for it to kick off. After it kicks off the 3rd time, I call it filled. Since most of the aux tank is filled during first 1/2 of the tank, the last half is primarily filling the original portion. It does increase fill time but not that noticeable with this method. I like having more fuel for the last part of the tank and not having to worry about when to transfer from Aux. Do wish that the fuel gage would be more accurate but have gotten used to it.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I, along with others failed to mention (or emphasize) that it's really no chore to remember when to transfer fuel from the auxiliary to the main tank. Most of us do it when the low fuel (main tank) warning appears.

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    Mine CSC doesn't take long. I just put the fill nozzle on first or second notch and wait for it to kick off. After it kicks off the 3rd time, I call it filled. Since most of the aux tank is filled during first 1/2 of the tank, the last half is primarily filling the original portion. It does increase fill time but not that noticeable with this method. I like having more fuel for the last part of the tank and not having to worry about when to transfer from Aux. Do wish that the fuel gage would be more accurate but have gotten used to it.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I get over two hunder miles per tank and I don't need to fill up very much more than the two whellers.
    Me and my Lehman Trike

AZ, Sierra Vista (actually, Hereford but no one knows where that is)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
    I, along with others failed to mention (or emphasize) that it's really no chore to remember when to transfer fuel from the auxiliary to the main tank. Most of us do it when the low fuel (main tank) warning appears.
    Like most, I love the extra fuel capacity. Less worrying about finding a gas station within my range. No problems but a couple of differences. As mentioned, takes a little time to let the tanks equalize when filling up. Also my fuel gage is a little strange. When it drops a little below half it will reverse and slowly come back up to around half before it starts dropping again. Maybe it's just this gage, I haven't seen anyone else mention this.
    "05" CSC

"A vote is like a rifle: it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
    Theodore Roosevelt

beastie

The CSC Cobra Auxiliary Fuel Tank mounts under the seat directly behind, and at the same level, as the main tank. There is an elbow fitting in the bottom of each tank and a connecting fuel line. When you fill the main tank, the fuel flows into the aux. tank from the bottom up. As you know, a liquid always seeks its own level, so both tanks are always the same level. Since the connecting line flows slower than the gas pump delivers the gas, there is a delay filling the aux., and once the gas reaches the bottom of the filler neck in the main tank, you need to wait 15-20 seconds for the tanks to level off, then you can top off. It may take a few cycles of filling and waiting before both are completely full – about an extra 2 minutes. Since this only adds the final ˝ gallon or so, if you don’t want to wait just quit the first time it reaches the bottom of the neck and forget about that last little bit. When you are riding, the two tanks come down equally, with gas flowing freely from the aux. to the main. Generally, when the low fuel light comes on you have about 1.5 gallons in each tank, 3 total, so you have (at 32mpg) about 90 miles to go.

The thing I like about the Cobra’s auxilliary tank is that you don’t even have to think about it. You fill it and forget it.

The fuel gauge and low fuel light are determined by the level of fuel in the main tank. The stock tank has 6.74 gal., and the Aux 3.4 for a total of 10.14 gal. If you crawl underneath, you will see the elbows at the tank bottoms and the connecting fuel line. If there is a transfer problem you would see it here by a kink in the line, which is highly unlikely. Of course you should ensure that there is no kink or pinch in the vent line where it goes under the top shelter. Like I said above, when you fill up you are filling the main tank which then supplies the Aux tank. The Aux tank is filled from the bottom up. The gas flows from the main to the Aux. For that reason the last ˝ gallon or so has to be squeezed in slowly. You need to visualize how this is happening and you’ll understand. As you drain the tanks, they come down equally. Remember, liquid always seeks its own level.

It does take some getting used to. I would recommend to you that you go to the gas station, be sure to park level and take your time filling so you really get it full. Ride until the low-fuel light comes on. As soon as you can after the light comes on, get gas. Again – take your time and fill like you did before. It should take about 7 gallons. But whatever it takes (X), you should have 10 minus X gallons left in the tank.

Now calculate your mpg. If it comes to 30, ride for 9X30, or 270 miles next time. I know you will be sweating bullets those last 60 miles after the low fuel light comes on, and more so as the needle drops below the “E” but you should have plenty. Now when you ride 300 miles, your wife may be smacking your helmet and saying, “YOU WILL STOP AND GET GAS!!!”

As to running out, it shouldn’t hurt anything, but you’d better have a can in the trunk.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.