Hannigan Rear End Diff.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hannigan Rear End Diff.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hannigan Rear End Diff.

I looked through out the posts and didn't find what I was looking for so I'll ask it now:

2009 GL1800 w/Hannigan trike kit; I was told to use 80/90 gear oil as directed by Ford/Mercury for a Motorcraft 7.5" differential. I used to use ProHonda Shaft Drive Oil Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 80W90 in the stock rear end, then switched to Spectro SAE 80W90 Hypoid Gear Lubricant. I still have a couple of bottles of the ProHonda and a case of the Spectro. Would I still be able to use these oils instead of going out and hunting up another type because it was recommended by Ford/Mercury? Please let me know, in the meantime Iam going riding and enjoy my new toy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I looked through out the posts and didn't find what I was looking for so I'll ask it now:

2009 GL1800 w/Hannigan trike kit; I was told to use 80/90 gear oil as directed by Ford/Mercury for a Motorcraft 7.5" differential. I used to use ProHonda Shaft Drive Oil Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 80W90 in the stock rear end, then switched to Spectro SAE 80W90 Hypoid Gear Lubricant. I still have a couple of bottles of the ProHonda and a case of the Spectro. Would I still be able to use these oils instead of going out and hunting up another type because it was recommended by Ford/Mercury? Please let me know, in the meantime Iam going riding and enjoy my new toy.
    I would ask this of Hannigan since any warranty issue would be theirs.

Post Thanks / Like

As of right now you shouldn't even be thinking of this!!! When was the last time you changed the rear end lube in your car??? Remember though that when it needs to be done; That the rear end is mounted Upside Down, and if you fill it to where you would normally, you will have a horrible mess under the Trike in the first 5 miles. Oil will be dripping from every where, and you will think it has Blown Up

Ford calls for 80/90. So if what you have is 80/90 then you should be set. So in 85,000 to 90,000 more miles you goo to go.
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2012-GL1800,Hannigan Gen2
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could ask George 'cause ma' man knows what he's talkin' about

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5IX View Post
    That the rear end is mounted Upside Down, and if you fill it to where you would normally, you will have a horrible mess under the Trike in the first 5 miles. Oil will be dripping from every where, and you will think it has Blown Up
    George, pictures please. I want to see this upside down mess.

Ken L.

05 Dark Grey Metallic, built by CSC & 1975 GL1000
    Ham Radio W8BUY - GWRRA OH-X2
    CBTC President & co-founder

Post Thanks / Like

Why is the rear end upside down?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L. View Post
    George, pictures please. I want to see this upside down mess.

Ken L.
    Ken I looked... I didn't take any of the oil all over every thing, but it takes a while to clean it up, and then suck the rest out. That I do remember well..
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ectrike View Post
    Why is the rear end upside down?
    Something to do with the driveshaft alignment I think,.

George Patrick Th.D.
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

I changed the diff and gear case oil after 500 miles, just to clean out any residue left over from the manufacturing process. I also change it every 20,000 miles.

I use Amsoil synthetic.

Wayne
    Wayne Thais

AK Oldman

So why not cut the plug out and remount it at the appropriate level?

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I cant help myself. Why

The 7.5 Ford rear end is either from a Mustang GT or Thunder bird, or Ranger. All made for its dependability, and durability. I could only find with a quick search of the Ford Mustang Forums this info on Maintenance.

Every 60,000 Miles or 48 Months (whichever occurs first)
    all items previously listed plus:
    Replace spark plugs
    Change manual transmission lubricant
    Change rear differential lubricant

Rear Differential
    7.5"- 3.25pts
    8.8"- 3.75pts

The full list is here:
    http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...intenance.html

Why would you change the rear lube at 20 K ??? I do understand that you have a DFT, and the rear end is a hybrid of sorts, but it just seems like over kill to me.
    I haven't popped a rear end case in about 12 years or more now ( on a cage ) If it wasn't such a big, and messy job, or as simple as changing the regular engine oil I may could understand.

Just curious.
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driveline Maintenance

Just a FYI...The final drive in a DFT is stock Honda and the maintenance schedule calls for changing oil at 24,000 miles. Do most people do that & is it really necessary? Maybe not but does it hurt anything? - certainly not, just takes some time and cost of a small amount of oil. The other item in a DFT driveline is an external differential...it replaces the rear wheel, is turned by the Honda final drive and it drives both rear wheels. Like all differentials, this is a simple device that is nothing but a geared mechanical coupling between the two wheels to allow "differential" movement of the individual wheels - majority of the time (unless turning) it has very little internal moverment. DFT suggests changing oil in their differential unit at 25-30,000 mile intervals and it is a very simple task - one drain/fill plug and just 4.5 oz of oil. Like Wayne, I do think it is wise to change the oil in any mechanical/geared unit early on just to remove any initial wear particles and/or other possible manufacturing debris. Bottom line, other than what is suggested by the manufacturers there's probably no right/wrong answers on when to change oil - its simply to each his own.
    Anyway, JMHO...
    Charlie
    Charlie Sheldon
    2009 Silver DFT, 2009 Bushtec
    States where we've triked.....

Post Thanks / Like

I developed a slight leak in the left axle seal while in Florida and was mistakenly told by a dealer to fill differential up to the fill hole as normal (later talked to factory and they indicated approximately 1/2 inch below fill hole) however I did not get any additional leakage of oil as a result of the overfill and I rode over a hundred miles that way. FYI - I went to factory after returning from Florida and they found a surface flaw in the left axle and replaced that portion of axle and the seal (problem cured). Doc
    Last edited by Doc1; 07-29-2009 at 12:43 PM.

08 Hannigan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Charlie, for the insight. I wasn't sure of the process for changing the rear lube, or which part of the rear was still there.... Probably should have, but you know how memory can get sometime. If the other Kits had drain plugs in the cover it wouldn't be a big deal or mess.
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Post Thanks / Like

"Why would you change the rear lube at 20 K ??? I do understand that you have a DFT, and the rear end is a hybrid of sorts, but it just seems like over kill to me.
    I haven't popped a rear end case in about 12 years or more now ( on a cage ) If it wasn't such a big, and messy job, or as simple as changing the regular engine oil I may could understand.

Just curious."

George,

I changed the oil at 600 miles because I spent nearly 40 years in a design/manufacturing facility and I know that no matter how clean an assembly is when it is put together or how well designed it is there is always wear in and some material will "scuff" off as the parts seat, especially in a gear case. So I get rid of the dirty oil and replace it with clean.

I also change the oil in the gear case and diff every 20,000 as a PM, if there is dirty oil with specs of metal in it then I am going to watch it very closely, if the oil is clean and not full of metal then I can be assured that everything is in good shape, it does not take long or cost much and it is great insurance.

I am anal about things like that, do I do the same thing with my cars, no but for the most part if the cage breaks down it is not the catastrophe that it is if the trike breaks down. If the trike gear case or diff fail and the rear end locks up it could be very scary.

I also wash the trike on a regular basis and look it over to make sure that everything is in god shape and ready to go whenever we have a notion to take off.

Does that help?

Cheers,

Wayne
    Wayne Thais

Post Thanks / Like

Some until I got to the water part
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The standard rear end on a GW bike is actually not a differential. On the bike I change it every 10K. It takes 5 minutes and 4 1/2 oz of 90 weight gear oil. Every single time I have changed one of these the first time (after 2000 miles or so) I have found filings and other metallic objects. Never saw it after that. The Motor Trike I have says you never have to change it. It's a 7.5 Ford rear end and a true differential. I decided to test the theory so I pulled the back cover off and what a mess after 25K miles. Good thing the drain plug has a magnet. The inside of the cover was rust covered and I cleaned that up good, new gasket and new gear oil and I was good to go. I'll probably change it again at 60K or so. There's a certain good feeling knowing that all is well. Anything else is guess work. We change our oil in the engine on a regular basis because oil actually wears out and becomes contaminated. Why would one think the same doesn't happen in a differential ?

Post Thanks / Like

If it ant broke don't fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2008 GL1800 Hannigan Trike
    2003 GL1800 candy orange

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.