Garmin 660 Zumo install
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Garmin 660 Zumo install

  1. #1
    Seasoned Member SnowmanIB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Garmin 660 Zumo install

    I wouldn’t classify this as a step-by-step, but rather an enlightenment and tips/tricks narrative on installing a Garmin Zumo 660. This sub-forum seemed to be the most appropriate place to put this, though.

    Please read it all and understand it before attempting to do this. I take no responsibility or liability if you follow this procedure. It is just what worked for me.


    Bike work area:


    • Under the top shelter (remove)
    • Meter panel (remove)
    • Side cover for battery access


    Specialty tools required:

    • Soldering iron
    • Light gauge wire to extend positive and negative leads
    • Shrink tubing
    • Zipties

    Parts required:

    • Garmin 660 Zumo and cradle

    Parts optional:

    • 4 Ice cold Guinness’

    Time of repair:

    • Difficult to judge, but I would say between 3 – 4 hours. (Also installed Sirius)

    Difficulty of repair:

    • (Scale of 1 – 10), I would put it at 2 for technical, and 2 for testing your patience
    • Cussword usage rating = 1


    Photo and procedure credits:

    • Snowman
    • Documented by Snowman (Jeff)

    Note: See Jon's response below this post for switched power options instead of direct to battery.


    My Garmin Street Pilot III wasn’t cutting it anymore, so I purchased the Garmin Zumo 660. As I was preparing to install it, I also remembered my Sirius Sportster 2 was having serious issues, so I bought a Sportster 5 and installed it at the same time. (Sirius install steps to follow later)


    So in this surgery, I replaced the top 2 units with the lower 2 units:





    Here we go again. If you are comfortable working under the top shelter, this is a piece of cake. Be prepared to dig in this deep:







    First thing to do is remove the seat, the meter panel and the top shelter – in that order.


    Tip: The bolts under the fairing trim (thin pieces) are all different sizes, as I remove them, I put them in a piece of cardboard like this… then they go back where they came from:





    After I got everything removed, and also pulled the side covers so I had battery access, I mounted the cradle onto the RAM mount to the handlebars. I didn’t document that portion of this as I already had a RAM mount there for my SPIII. I just laid the cable down alongside the handlebar and decided how I wanted to route it and how much slack I need to be able to turn without tugging the cable.




    Basically at this step, you are just figuring out your routing options. Lay the cable without threading it behind anything. Get a picture in your head what you will want to go behind, in front of underneath, etc. Then consider if those areas are pinch points of any kind.


    Now that you have the route figured out, time to solder more length to the leads.
    I don’t comprehend why Garmin only gives you about an inch of leads after the in-line fuse. At this point is where you will want to solder another 5 inches onto the pos/neg leads. I also used heat shrink tubing to cover the solder joint.


    Once that is done, time to thread the cabling back to the battery.
    The power lead - I ran behind the big wiring harnesses, down along the gas tank, underneath the seat support (where the front of the seat latches under), then under the tube frame and out to the battery. Where you see the arrows split, the left arrow is the power leads going to the battery and the right arrow is the 3 jacks That I did the U-turn with back under the pocket.




    Sorry the above pic is so zoomed in. This is directly under where the left storage pocket would be.



    I don’t use the intercom system on the bike, so I decided to run the cable down alongside the pocket and put it in the niche where the intercom cable would normally come out beside the pocket.





    The Zumo 660 cabling has the usual pos/neg power leads (with in-line fuse), and 3 other jacks for USB, and audio. I decided to do a U-turn with those 3 jacks and just store them under the pocket for now. (See Jon's response below for other options)



    Here are the 3 jacks:





    Here’s a pic with the leads and in-line fuse where I am about to go under the tube frame and out to the battery. You can also see where the heat shrink tubing is.





    Thread the leads and the inline fuse to where you want them. In the pic below you can see the final resting place I have chosen:





    You are probably noticing all the various colored zipties I have going on. I use this system to identify various wires and the components they go to. In the case for my Garmin Unit, the hot pink ziptie heads get put on the entire length of cabling at the in-line fuse, the pos/neg lead, about mid-length on the cabling and again near the component end. 2 years from now when I look under the top shelter, I can easily trace that wire without even touching it and know immediately what it goes to.


    You can see more about that here: http://www.jeffswing.com/Electricalpage04.html


    Attach your power leads and put the GPS into the cradle. If everything was done correctly, the GPS will power up immediately. Key is not needed if you connect it the way I did. If you want switched power, you need to do it differently.


    Anyway, as long as you have power, you are ready to secure the wiring. Really all you need to do is make sure you have enough slack so that you can turn lock-to-lock without stressing the cable. I ran mine down the left handlebar and used a Velcro strap to secure it in place.


    Button ‘er back up. Don’t forget the right pocket is the locking pocket… get that cable into place before you close that door.





    Right now I am not using any of the 3 jacks, so I just stored them under the left pocket. If you intend to use them… continue on.

    Finished product:


    Last edited by SnowmanIB; 07-27-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    '02 Illusion blue
    www.jeffswing.com
    More than just farkles.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WA, Mukilteo
    Posts
    7,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good job, Jeff.

    One thing to note for those that don't want to wire the unit directly to the battery is that you can run the power/audio cables under the LH pocket and tap into switched power at the ACC power plug (available on all models).

    In addition, this also puts the audio pigtails near the AUX input and the headset connector, for those who want to add cellphone operation to their system.

    Running the power from the ACC plug puts the installation time at an hour or less (for just the Zumo).

    Thanks for detailing your installation - it should help others.


  4. #3
    Seasoned Member SnowmanIB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the advice, Jon! It is well received. I updated my original post pointing people to your reply if they are interested in switched power.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    In addition, this also puts the audio pigtails near the AUX input and the headset connector, for those who want to add cellphone operation to their system.
    Just a note, running the wires to the battery still allows the audio pigatils to be near Aux. I have those pigtails curled up under the left pocket.
    Last edited by SnowmanIB; 07-27-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    '02 Illusion blue
    www.jeffswing.com
    More than just farkles.

  5. #4
    Seasoned Member Mbenazeraf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Snowman, looks great. I am curious on how did you mount your XM radio. How is it fastened to the bike? Details and may be pictures would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  6. #5
    Seasoned Member SnowmanIB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mbenazeraf View Post
    Snowman, looks great. I am curious on how did you mount your XM radio. How is it fastened to the bike? Details and may be pictures would be appreciated.

    Thanks.
    It is actually a Sirius radio. Sportster 5. Here is a pic of the mount. I bought this a few years ago at Best Buy. I think it was labeled as a universal mount. It does tilt and swivel. I bent it into the shape that I needed, then under the meter panel, below where the key goes, I have it double-sided taped and 2 screws holding it down. Solid mount with a bit of flexing to it, but not enough to make it bounce around.

    '02 Illusion blue
    www.jeffswing.com
    More than just farkles.

  7. #6
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Davenport FL
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Good job, Jeff.

    One thing to note for those that don't want to wire the unit directly to the battery is that you can run the power/audio cables under the LH pocket and tap into switched power at the ACC power plug (available on all models).

    In addition, this also puts the audio pigtails near the AUX input and the headset connector, for those who want to add cellphone operation to their system.

    Running the power from the ACC plug puts the installation time at an hour or less (for just the Zumo).

    Thanks for detailing your installation - it should help others.
    After tapping into the AUX input, that enables the GPS audio to be routed through the speaks? I run my mp3 through the AUX, so I'm not at all sure this is going to work. So is there some kind of over ride if the radio is on? I'm totally challenged with this.

  8. #7
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WA, Mukilteo
    Posts
    7,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This might be worthy of a separate post so we don't hijack Jeff's installation thread, but the 'simple' installation method allows you to connect the GPS audio to the AUX input so that you can listen to the GPS audio output over the speakers (or helmet headset) when the AUX input is selected on the audio unit.

    If you want to be able to hear the GPS audio while listening to another audio source (like the AM/FM/WB/CD functions, or if you have an MP3 player already connected to the AUX input), you'll need to connect the GPS to the intercom system through an isolation device, like a Kennedy CellSet system.

    There are solutions available for connecting the GPS to both the AUX input and the intercom for flexibility, as well as to share the AUX input between multiple input devices.

    Feel free to PM me or start a new thread if you want more info on these 'other' installation options.


  9. #8
    Seasoned Member bbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So out of curiosity Jeff, how do you like your 660 Zumo? I've been looking at GPS units and have kind of settled on a Zumo 550 simply because I've been reading about glitches in the 660. I would feel by now that Garmin has updated the firmware and the glitches taken care of. How is yours working for you?

  10. #9
    Seasoned Member 07Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mine took like an hour to mount without removing anything but the left hand pocket, I tapped into the aux power supply and put a splitter on the aux cable so it will play thru the speakers or earphones and still be able to use my XM which is mounted on the right hand resovoir cover with a hoon mount



    Ric Holland
    DS # 927
    2007 Orange Wing
    Raleigh / Oriental NC

  11. #10
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Davenport FL
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 07Wing View Post
    Mine took like an hour to mount without removing anything but the left hand pocket, I tapped into the aux power supply and put a splitter on the aux cable so it will play thru the speakers or earphones and still be able to use my XM which is mounted on the right hand resovoir cover with a hoon mount
    Always the eternal question, when the gps come up, does it over ride into the speakers? So if ya have the mp3 plugged, over ride gps option?

  12. #11
    Seasoned Member SnowmanIB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbach View Post
    So out of curiosity Jeff, how do you like your 660 Zumo? I've been looking at GPS units and have kind of settled on a Zumo 550 simply because I've been reading about glitches in the 660. I would feel by now that Garmin has updated the firmware and the glitches taken care of. How is yours working for you?
    I haven;t come across anything I would classify as a glitch. I haven't really put it through it's paces yet, though. My BlackBerry paired up with it flawlessly. It accurately gets me to where I am going.

    Actually, I take that back. Now that I think about it, I did lose all sound at one point when I was playing some MP3's I had copied to it. I had to pull the battery to get sound back. I was only playing them though out of curiosity. I have other equipment that is much better for music playback.

    I think sound loss is a known issue.
    '02 Illusion blue
    www.jeffswing.com
    More than just farkles.

  13. #12
    Seasoned Member jeff4912's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great post Jeff, I really liked the idea of storing the shelter screws in the cardboard. What a simple yet great idea.

    Your gps and Sirius looks great too, good job!

    '06 Goldwing ABS
    '03 Suzuki DRZ400

  14. #13
    Resident BBQ Expert loren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Camp Randall
    Posts
    14,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff4912 View Post
    Great post Jeff, I really liked the idea of storing the shelter screws in the cardboard. What a simple yet great idea.

    Your gps and Sirius looks great too, good job!
    another idea is to use an egg carton, or an old muffin pan to keep various screws seperated

  15. #14
    Seasoned Member Timmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Burien, WA
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    another idea is to use an egg carton, or an old muffin pan to keep various screws seperated
    And yet another idea (what I do) is to number the screws with a permanent marker. Then just put them in a magnetic bowl.

    Good thread. It's also possible to do this type of install without removing the top shelter by using a piece of stiff wire to fish the necessary wires from the battery to the appropriate place up front. Then the next time you have the top shelter off to change your airfilter, you can tidy up the routing/wiring.
    Tim Bowman
    IBA, HRCA, GWRRA, MTF, BMWMOA, AMA
    '03 Candy Red GL1800A
    '03 Silver BMW F650GS; '05 Red BMW R1200GS (sleeping in Germany)
    '01 Candy Red ST1100; '08 WR250R
    '84 Martini Beige Aspencade

    States Ridden in:


  16. #15
    Seasoned Member MG_Wings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa.
    Posts
    773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Very nice and clean install.......
    2006 White 1800GL
    2006 Pearl White Escapade SE trailer
    PGR member
    http://www.patriotguard.org/




    The "Black Pirate" has left us a message. Did you get it?



  17. #16
    Seasoned Member bluestreek-02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Grabill, Indiana / Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    5,218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MG_Wings View Post
    Very nice and clean install.......
    ,, I love my Zumo 660 use it all the time on trips

  18. #17
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Your sound loss comment has me intriqued.

    Jeff, I have a Zumo 550 which I installed along with a Kennedy cell set. I have my phone bluetooth connected and everything works pretty well...however, I have noticed that the volume is lacking...at highway speeds, with earplugs in, I'm quite disapointed with the volume. I THINK I have all the GW audio settings done correctly (i.e. volume mute, aux volume, interphone mute, etc). What are you using to prevent sound loss? Are you playing your mp3s with another device? If so, how have you got it configured with the zumo. If I had my druthers I'd be able to use the zumo interface to control my ipod that I would stow in my fairing pocket. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

    Matt



    Quote Originally Posted by SnowmanIB View Post
    I haven;t come across anything I would classify as a glitch. I haven't really put it through it's paces yet, though. My BlackBerry paired up with it flawlessly. It accurately gets me to where I am going.

    Actually, I take that back. Now that I think about it, I did lose all sound at one point when I was playing some MP3's I had copied to it. I had to pull the battery to get sound back. I was only playing them though out of curiosity. I have other equipment that is much better for music playback.

    I think sound loss is a known issue.

  19. #18
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WA, Mukilteo
    Posts
    7,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Matt, make sure that you have the 'Master' volume control set to maximum (press the bottom hard button while on the map page to view the volume setting and then press the '+' button to raise it to maximum).

    Assuming that you've got the unit connected to the AUX input, you should be able to get enough volume from a properly-adjusted Zumo to be easily heard with a volume setting of 15-20 on most bikes (you might need more if you're using earplugs as well).


  20. #19
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you wire the Zumo 550 in with the Kennedy lead the volume is controlled by the intercom volume, with the Zumo on 100% volume on all settings, and keeping the intercom level to eliminate the wind noise I struggle hearing the Zumo instructions, hence I am going to install mic-mutes.

    I took the volume point up with Garmin, who admitted the volume level on the Zumo is not as high as the 2610, which I had no trouble with, and they had no answer to the problem.

    Thats the only part of the Zumo I am unhappy with.
    Ride Safely
    05 US GL1800 White

  21. #20
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    woolwich maine
    Posts
    331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default zumo 660

    i ran mine on the right hand side of the bars with a homemade mount that clamps to the handle bar about half way down.not so much going on on the right side easier to see.

  22. #21
    Seasoned Member dr.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Posts
    1,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    outstanding job at visual instructions. IF only manufacturers could do half as good a job we'd all be better off....

    again great job.
    2004 White ABS/Traxxion/Lowered (hers)
    2008 Black & White ABS/Comfort/Nav/Full Traxxion/ Darkside #861 (his)

    See My New Motorcycle Touring Blog at:
    http://www.MyTwoWheelTouring.com

    My YouTube Channel is:
    MyTwoWheelTouring





  23. #22
    Member PilotRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would like to wire my Garmin 660 to the Aux power supply under the left front pocket. Someone please help me by explaining how to do this. I have an 08' Wing. When I took the pocket out I saw where the AUX cable connect (for plugging into my Ipod) there was also a Red plug there as well.

    My problem is that the 660 has a red wire and black wire for power. How and what exactly do i connect these too? Do I need to buy a plug of some sort? Help needed please.
    Love both of my wings... My Boeing and my Honda

  24. #23
    Seasoned Member Bartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    8,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PilotRon View Post
    I would like to wire my Garmin 660 to the Aux power supply under the left front pocket. Someone please help me by explaining how to do this. I have an 08' Wing. When I took the pocket out I saw where the AUX cable connect (for plugging into my Ipod) there was also a Red plug there as well.

    My problem is that the 660 has a red wire and black wire for power. How and what exactly do i connect these too? Do I need to buy a plug of some sort? Help needed please.
    Call Electrical Connection at 800.215.6168 and tell them what you need. It's the 12V male Hitachi connector for the 12V switched power under the left pocket.

    And next time, instead of digging up and old post and asking a question like this, just post your question as a new thread over on the General or Technical board. You'll get more visibility and a faster response. I just happen to be on here doing some house cleaning and saw your post.
    So long and good bye

  25. #24
    Member PilotRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Call Electrical Connection at 800.215.6168 and tell them what you need. It's the 12V male Hitachi connector for the 12V switched power under the left pocket.

    And next time, instead of digging up and old post and asking a question like this, just post your question as a new thread over on the General or Technical board. You'll get more visibility and a faster response. I just happen to be on here doing some house cleaning and saw your post.
    Thanks for the help. I called and the part is on the way. I also ordered a splitter just in case I decide to hook up something else.
    Love both of my wings... My Boeing and my Honda

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •