Additional Headlight Adjustment on GL1800
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional Headlight Adjustment on GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

Default Additional Headlight Adjustment on GL1800

I recently purchased a new 2008 GL1800 and found that even with the adjustment on the fairing set as high as it would allow, that I couldn't go over about 30 mph without overdriving the headlight when low beam was on. High beam was ok, but not outstanding. I did a fair amount of searching to find a way to get further adjustment but hadn't found it. Stopped at my local Honda dealer and asked them and they pointed me right to it and then told me that they didn't know about it until about a week ago!

Once I made the other adjustment, I am set. The link below takes you to a graphic that will show you exactly where the additional adjustment is if you, like me, didn't know. Chances are, everyone else already knows all about this!

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/files...justment-w.jpg

Enjoy!

Jim (Redwing)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I would be going back to a dealer who just found out about the headlight adjuster. They have only been on there for 7 or 8 years now and he is just now finding them
    06, Dark Red GL1800
    Darksider #107
    Michlin Alpin 195/55/16 Run Flat (28psi) 5th one
    Bridgestone 701 bias ply front (36lbs)
    Rest in Peace, Beverly
    Florida Prowler #3

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx. I needed that info!!
    Add "This is just my opinion" to the beginning of every post . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dealer

The local dealer is NOT where I purchased my scooter. I bought it in East Texas about 200 miles from my doorstep. It was just convenient to drop by the local shop in hopes that they had the answer.

Since it has helped one other person, creating the post was worth the effort!

Jim / Redwing

Post Thanks / Like

interesting I never knew they were there, been working on these for years, and also tried my adjuster motor and it appears to be broken, you could hear it run before
    thanks
    Do it all now you may not be able to do it Later

Post Thanks / Like

Never knew that. I wonder how many dealers know about it and charge an hour or two to adjust the lights, if they know at all. Interesting.
    Thanks
    Cheers and Good Riding, Keith
    DROP, FALL, AND DOWN ARE 4 LETTER WORDS
    I, my typing, and spelling are far from perfect. Get over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of it before! WOW!

CLICK HERE!

KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm really confused. I thought i read where you have to go under neath the front by the forks and adjust from there. Does the wheel adjust vertical on both sides with just one wheel, or is there one on the other side. Mine is pointed to high on low beam. Does it adjust with the 12 mm or do you use the wheel also.

Post Thanks / Like

Waldo, can that be used for the 2008 as well? Your link is Pre-2008.
    I haven't compaired it to my bike yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worked for me

While it appears that you could turn the smaller white wheel and that in turn would rotate the larger black one that I have shown in the photos, I simply turned the larger black wheel to get the up/down adjustment on my 2008. Side to side was not the problem in my situation. First tested the adjustment with the bike still inside my shop and could easily see the results with the bike pointing toward a wall. I then took it out on some of the county roads, stopping to further adjust twice. The fairing adjustment is now in the middle at a good lighting setting and I can get enough up and down for whatever I need without having to reach down by the left handlebar.

Jim
    Last edited by revlucmij; 08-10-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Seasoned Member Mcrider4eva5491's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
    Does the wheel adjust vertical on both sides with just one wheel, or is there one on the other side. Does it adjust with the 12 mm or do you use the wheel also.
    On my 2009, there is an identical wheel as depicted in the OP's pics on BOTH RIGHT AND LEFT SIDES, looking down the handlebar/fork tunnels on each side.

Have NOT fiddled with them yet. Am waiting for PM darkness to take 'er out on dark road for adjustments, as I have similar sitch to what OP described albeit not as severely as his was.

The large black wheels on the '09 are distinctly ridged-serrated on rearmost leading edge and feel to be either serrated for manual turning clockwise or counter-clockwise . . . or . . . possibly . . . those ridges may serve as "geared teeth" which interact with the smaller white adjuster.

Seems kinda strange that they'd have the smaller white adjuster at all. I'll hope that turning just the easily-grabbed large black wheel doesn't result in "breakage".

Since I don't have time for close exam right now - and for benefit of all . . .

Can anyone explain in detail which turn direction of the large black wheel - CW or CCW - adjusts the low beams UP or DOWN?

Can anyone explain in detail what tool if any is used for the smaller white adjuster, and which directions to turn that for Up - Down?

09 Black Cherry Red, '03 Candy Red, '02 Illusion Blue, 86 GW 1200 Interstate, '78 BMW R100S
    Go as far as you can See. When you get there, you'll be able to see So Much Farther.

Post Thanks / Like

I pointed out the wheels to aid in location of the adjusters. You should not be adjusting with the wheels.

The up/down is a 12mm socket shown CLEARLY in the last photo. The left/right is a phillips shown CLEARLY in the last photo but it's nearly impossible to reach from below. If you go down the tunnel with a mini-phillips, you can get it.

Some folks read too much into a post and others not enough.... even pics.
    KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Post Thanks / Like

Hey . . . Waldo . . . thank you for your reply . . . clarification IS appreciated . . . however your totally unnecessary comments are not. Firstly, your pics do not appear the same as my '09 model, and secondly, the pics could have been much better quality, better exposed, and annotated more "cleanly". Let's NOT start a flame-fest, okay? You contributions to the board are excellent and helpful and your self-evident knowledge and expertise within postings speak for itself - as does also, anywhere and everwhere, unnecessary derogatory comments to any other forum member. The fact that another asked for clarification even after looking at your post is a classic case of "res ipsa loquitur" - "the thing speaks for itself" - in my case, insufficiently enough for me, since I asked for clarifications. Don't insult levels of that which you have zero knowledge of, meaning other people's general intelligence level as "determined" by you based on a post reply. That's not very nice or gentlemanly. Thanks again for your clarification, and hope you have a Nicer day.

09 Black Cherry Red, '03 Candy Red, '02 Illusion Blue, 86 GW 1200 Interstate, '78 BMW R100S
    Go as far as you can See. When you get there, you'll be able to see So Much Farther.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mcrider4eva5491 View Post
    Hey . . . Waldo . . . thank you for your reply . . . clarification IS appreciated . . . however your totally unnecessary comments are not. Firstly, your pics do not appear the same as my '09 model, and secondly, the pics could have been much better quality, better exposed, and annotated more "cleanly". Let's NOT start a flame-fest, okay? You contributions to the board are excellent and helpful and your self-evident knowledge and expertise within postings speak for itself - as does also, anywhere and everwhere, unnecessary derogatory comments to any other forum member. The fact that another asked for clarification even after looking at your post is a classic case of "res ipsa loquitur" - "the thing speaks for itself" - in my case, insufficiently enough for me, since I asked for clarifications. Don't insult levels of that which you have zero knowledge of, meaning other people's general intelligence level as "determined" by you based on a post reply. That's not very nice or gentlemanly. Thanks again for your clarification, and hope you have a Nicer day.
    you got some nerve, slick

Waldo was nice enough to post the best pics he has and offer his help (he's been nice enough to do this for the last 20 or so people to ask the same questions) and this is how you reply?

"beggars can't be choosers", "don't look a gift horse in the mouth", etc., etc.

i don't wanna' pickle - just wanna' ride my motorsickle
    IBA 38181

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mcrider4eva5491 View Post
    Hey . . . Waldo . . . thank you for your reply . . . clarification IS appreciated . . . however your totally unnecessary comments are not.
    Now here is somebody that needs to go back to the GWRRA boards.. They do everything just perfect over there.. and without all the snide remarks. Don't let the door slam u up the backside, although second thought maybe you should let it slam u upside the head.... dang dudly get a clue....
    Last edited by Larry Price; 08-13-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Post Thanks / Like

Heck I thought Waldo was being nice , well I appreciate the pics and comments Waldo I adjusted mine and it's better
    all the way up with electronic adjuster was just not high enough,( i had changed the rear spring and rear end is higher now)
    adjusting as you posted works nice now , lots and lots of deer here on the Blue Ridge Parkway and always good to see better.
    thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofadriver View Post

Waldo was nice enough to post the best pics he has and offer his help (he's been nice enough to do this for the last 20 or so people to ask the same questions) and this is how you reply?

Well, SofaDriver, I think you're a tad nervy yourself speaking to me like that. If you read Waldo's reply post and my own post carefully enough, you'd have noted that I went out my way to plaudit and compliment and give Walso and his self-evident expertise due credit where credit is due. Waldo was the one who within his own reply unnecessarily implied and inferred that I'm an Imbecile, and that is the sole portion of his responsive reply that I took exception to, and clarified my reasons for doing so.

I also specifically suggested and requested that this NOT start a Flame-Fest, especially amongst people who, I note, are ALL "Seasoned members" of this board, my own self included.

Your apparent need, enjoyment and propensity to add unnecessary fuel to flaming speaks plainly and eloquently for itself too.

BTW I was "begging" nothing. I was utilizing the forum board for its specific intended purpose and function for which the forum was created and exists.

Have you nothing better to do with your time and mind, than to make needlessly inflammatory contrbutions from your own Hairy Grommet? I felt Waldo's reply to me as an individual member included some unneccessarily derogatory comments, is all, and responded to that. I do have a right to my own opinions, and it doesn't or shouldn't concern individual you, so why doncha just Get Over It and act a litle more maturely?
    Last edited by Mcrider4eva5491; 08-14-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Price View Post
    Now here is somebody that needs to go back to the GWRRA boards.. They do everything just perfect over there.. and without all the snide remarks. Don't let the door slam u up the backside, although second thought maybe you should let it slam u upside the head.... dang dudly get a clue....
    Mr. Price, your opinion is noted and entirely Dismissed by me. if you have a complaint about my post to that extent, please report the post to Lamont, and I'll be happy to accept Lamont's own opinion as to whether or not I'm "fit" enough to remain a Seasoned Member of this forum. That is Lamont's purview and discretion, not yours. I respect your right to state your own opinion, and thank you for doing so for the insight it provides me into your Self. As said, your opinion I simply Completely Dismiss as meaningless to me, at least in this particular thread. Perhaps you should not be so quick to Rush To Judgment in your own "Godlike Perfection", in such an Unthinking Fashion as that.
    Last edited by Mcrider4eva5491; 08-14-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sofadriver View Post
    Sofadriver.... The McDonalds rider is on my ignore list... thank you Lamont for the permanent ignore bucket.
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Price View Post
    Sofadriver.... The McDonalds rider is on my ignore list... thank you Lamont for the permanent ignore bucket.

Thanks for the good idea. I clicked on the FAQ drop down menu and found out how to edit my ignore list in the user cp drop down menu. He, or she, is the only winger that I have decided to ignore.

Waldo is very generous with his time and effort and I applaud his skill and ability to use good common sense and mechanical experience.
    Big fan of IBA long distance endurance riding
    IBA 45141
    SS1000 BB1500 BBG SS2000 Gold
    5000 Memorial Miles certificate, need 2500 more for 10,000
    IBA Mile Eater Bronze & Silver certified
    17 done, 3 to go for the Mile Eater Gold

2007 Audio/Comfort/Nav

Post Thanks / Like

Another view.

Last edited by Tom Finch; 09-04-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
    Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
    Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
    Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by revlucmij View Post
    The local dealer is NOT where I purchased my scooter. I bought it in East Texas about 200 miles from my doorstep. It was just convenient to drop by the local shop in hopes that they had the answer.

Since it has helped one other person, creating the post was worth the effort!

Jim / Redwing
    Not for nothing, Butt......Why didn't you drive the 200 miles to get your question answered?
    You drove 200 miles to save a buck!
    Now you look to the local dealer when you need something because it was convenient for you!
    Then slam him!
    "Now that we have met," said the Dragon, "If you believe in me, I will believe in you."
    "Is that a bargain?"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The amount of attitude on this forum rules!!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spozach View Post
    The amount of attitude on this forum rules!!
    lol, at least he feels free to go to his local dealer for inquiries/service.

Our local dealer has made it clear that he will not service a bike purchased elsewhere..........and I'm happy to support the dealer 20 minutes away who will!

Post Thanks / Like

Then you should report the local dealer to honda they would be happy to remove his franchise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wireedm View Post
    lol, at least he feels free to go to his local dealer for inquiries/service.

Our local dealer has made it clear that he will not service a bike purchased elsewhere..........and I'm happy to support the dealer 20 minutes away who will!
    Now that sounds like a real smart business decision.
    Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 42,000 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
    Central CA.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to clearly thank those who
    contributed to the successful resolution
    of this common problem, that being the
    headlight issue.
    The other problem, whinning and complaining,
    about others belongs in another forum,
    perhaps a preschool how to behave forum.

Dark Side #700 (07/2010)
    Currently: Michelin PrimacyAlpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16
    Formerly':Pirelli Eufori@ Run Flat 195/55R16 87V

Have Fun and Do The Right Thing!

Post Thanks / Like

I am always sorry to see personal criticisms. As I get older, I feel that there may not always be time to apologize.

I know one thing, and that is replacing the left high beam bulb is a son of a gun. Getting the boot back on at the top is really hard because the big wire bundle lays on it hard and has to be pried up to get the boot over the lip of the housing.

I took that photo, above, of the back of a removed fairing at a dealer recently and it was a LEO bike having its third tranny rebuild.

It hurts my feelings to see a piece of equipment beat on like that. I am getting close to my 192,000 mile valve check and the clutch and tranny are just fine. It always has a trailer on it.

I used the garage doors to aim the headlights on High beam both laterally and vertically, and it really made a difference in down the road lighting.

I can pretty easily light up signs at 1-1/4 miles on the way to Bandera these dark mornings. I also changed the left high beam wiring to be more like the 01 models which raised the wattage to the same on both sides, 55 watts.

The left bulb was down to about 46 watts because of the peculiar way they wire the bikes after 2002.
    Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
    Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
    Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
    Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info on adjusting the lights. I've been amazed at how poor the lights are on such a popular touring machine
    I'll be adjusting mine soon.

02 Harley Roadking with Bushtec trailer (sold 3-27-11,, RIP you will be missed)
    08 Goldwing with Lehman kit

Post Thanks / Like

thanks waldo and tom for all your help. I like to ride at night and this info is invauble to me. I've been trying to get my beams higher for the longest.Again thank you.

08 TITANIUM LEVEL 3
    03 ROADSTAR SIVER LIMITED EDITION #644
    05 SILVER THE FASSSSSTEST COLOR LIKE A BOLT OF LIGHT.(TOTALED BY CAGER)08-24-2009
    03 YAMAHA ROADSTAR SILVER LTD EDT #366
    (TOTALED BY CAGER)07-16-05
    73 HONDA 350(HIT BY 18 WHEELER)03-77
    82 SUZUKI GL 1000(STOLEN TWO MONTHS LATER)had to pay for it no ins
    74 HONDA 450( cousin hit the back of a truck)
    kuhmo 195/55/16 rf
    IF YOU'VE BEEN THIER I'VE PROBALLY DONE IT
    BUT SOME THINGS ARE BEST THE SECOND TIME AROUND ROADDOGG.
    ds#167

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.