+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a handicap sticker

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A.C.A. 27-15-303 Applicability actually reads:
    (a) The provisions of this subchapter shall apply only to:
    (1) Passenger vehicles, including automobiles;
    (2) Light trucks, including vans, with a three-fourths (3/4) ton or less manufacturer's rated capacity if the vehicle is specially adapted for use by disabled individuals through the use of a lift, ramp, hand controls, etc.

I don't have the most current Motor Vehicle and Traffic Law manual here at home and the state code site is down. This manual is the 2003 edition. I can check ACA 27-15-303 Monday to see if anything changed in the last couple of sessions.

A motorcycle would be a motorcycle, motor vehicle, vehicle, and a passenger motor vehicle under definitions found elsewhere in state code. A passenger motor vehicle is defined as all vehicles other than commercial motor vehicles, class one trucks, trailers, and semitrailers. I don't know that "passenger vehicle" is defined anywhere. Vehicle is, and passenger implies other than commercial use.

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    from my written permit---

vehicles qualified to display special plate or placard are as follows

" passenger vehicles ( automobiles ) light trucks including vans with 3/4 ton or less manufactures rated capacity, or larger vehicles (placard only) if the vehicle is equiped with lift, ramp, or hand controls"

notice no mention of motorcycle...... for either plate or placard

I wonder if the law may have been recently changed, since i have had the disabled permit only a short time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Tennessee has a disabled plate ffor a motorcycle

Post Thanks / Like

Old guy,

I have seen people without tags park in HC spots lots of times when there was a real need of it. Like they had someone that was just injured, or an out of town guest that was disabled.

What angers me is those who think because they are "Celebs" that they do not need to respect those like my son who can only move his head. I believe that I am as fair as they come, and do expect others to be also.

When I use my son's van, even if it is to go after his chair, if he is not along, I refuse to park in a HC space, even though it has HC plates.
    Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
    Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
    Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
    Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicia View Post
    We have an actual handicap plate on the trike.

Vicki and Duane
    me too

Emmitt

You know it’s time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.

Rides a Motortrike
    James 4:14

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As many have stated....it is frowned upon when someone who "appears" to be able-bodied abuses the system and acquires (or uses a relatives HC plate/hang-down).

And as Tom says...there are those that "have connections" to get a legitimately issued one in their name for invalid (no pun intended) reasons.

The big problem with judging ANYBODY you see utilizing one, no matter the value or type of their vehicle, is that there are many conditions that QUALIFY for one to be legitimately issued and utilized that have absolutely no outward obvious physical visual cues.

So, always be aware before wanting to "confront" that slacker who is going for the free ride...that it might be someone who can appear to walk fine...but, for example, due to some heart condition needs to do everything they can to limit their walking when possible to tens or hundreds of feet rather than thousands (remember this would include the distance they will traverse after entering the store)...which again, might be why you see them hop into a battery-powered seated shopping cart and wonder..."what the heck?...I just saw them walk in here and didn't limp a bit".

Not that there isn't abuse....cause some people will ALWAYS attempt to abuse a system if given the opportunity...just that there are many that may not be abusing the system and do not deserve to be required to "validate" their condition to a stranger in a parking lot to justify why they should be given the benefit of the doubt.
    2008 Titanium - Nav/ABS

Post Thanks / Like

Tom I don't disagree with you, I have a niece in the same condition as your son. I'm just saying you might have been cussing me too if you had only seen me walking toward the store and had never seen my mother. I would never have used the tag without her in the car.
    Pray for Obama- Psalm 109:8
    Let his days be few; and another take his office.

2008 Pearl White DS #463

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Oregon has a disabled sticker made for a motorcycle or golf cart. It is in addition to the disabled hang tag that you can only have one of, and is supposed to be shown on the front facing side of the left mirror - which you cannot do with a wing because it is a turn signal. Looks like this:
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

In Iowa they issue a handicap sticker to put on the plate or you can also get a actual handicap plate just like on an auto but the smaller motorcycle size plate. We elected the plate as it shows better than the sticker. Check with your DOT.
    Dean & Mary

'06 the only true GL1800 GOLDwing!!!
    06 GL1800 Navi/Comfort w/07 Hannigan TriCar
    06 Aluma MCTXL
    Other Wings '83 & '92/TriCar They just don't wear out!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I know what ya mean. Folks look at me funny too when I park in a Handicapped space. At least I think that is why I get those looks. I have used a placard on the bike for some time now and no worries. Shuve it down under the vent and dash and to date, no problems. MD only allows one metal plate (I think it is due to handicapped plates being given out at birth now for everyone LOL), and I have that on the truck and besides, I like the BIGWHL tag to much to give it up.

Besides, I fgure if a nuff of them get stolen off my bike they (the MVA) will finally see the light and give in a give me a metal tag with my picture on it (when I was a lot simmer) and my BIGWHL.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ARH View Post
    There are times when my knee is really sore I'd like to use my handicap sticker on my GW but I figure some would take it. Has anyone done this?

A very good friend of mine has had 2 knee replacements, 1 shoulder replaced, his neck fused, and a bunch of other stuff done. He has a handicapped plate for his wing and will out ride most.
    Dale A Garrett
    CMA 85488
    Corpus Christi Texas

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is the problem with handicap cards, if you don't seem handicapped many people presume that you just are lazy and got a card.
    Sometimes I think if they had different colors or something to designate what kind of handicap perhaps it would be nice.
    Duane has a very bad heart--cardiologists can't believe that he is still going, but he is very careful about his diet, pills, and EXERCISE. He looks healthy on the outside but with heart disease and diabetes on the inside. So outword appearances can be deceiving.
    We normally do not use the handicap parking space with the bike, but do use it more frequently in the winter, as cold bothers his breathing.
    Vicki and Duane
    2001 Black Goldwing / 2008 Motortrike!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicia View Post
    ...We normally do not use the handicap parking space with the bike, but do use it more frequently in the winter...
    Congrats on your position on the parking space use. I avoid them on my 'better' days as well. I think the general public would be surprised at how many of us with PH plates/placards/stickers actually do not use the provided parking spaces on a regular basis.

FredFromArnold

It blows my mind that the posters to this thread who are disabled
    and medically qualified for disabled parking plates/placards are
    concerned about what someone may or may not think about them
    using a parking place.......Unreal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FredFromArnold View Post
    Surely not me

I have a legal one from a real doctor, and it is well within the law for me to have one

If someone else doesnt care for me to have it, tough cookies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Yea, I know what ya mean. Folks look at me funny too when I park in a Handicapped space. At least I think that is why I get those looks. .
    More than likely, they have seen you eat, and recognized you.

Thats my story and its all true

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FredFromArnold View Post
    Not in the least concerned, just commenting on how his is used and what it is for.

Vicki and Duane
    2001 Black Goldwing / 2008 Motortrike!

Seasoned Member Snazzy Nazzy Biker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a placard . . . . . . . .

I simply hang it from one of my camera mounts on the bars. No one has ever touched it or complained to me . I do still get lots of comments on how great the bike looks tho . . . .
    Thank a Teacher if you can read this -- Thank a VETERAN for making it in English!
    Praises & Thank-you's to all the People serving in our MILITARY!
    02 Silver with/ NO CRACKS, NO DRIPS, NO ERRORS!
    DO SOMETHING GOOD IN YOUR LIFE, THAT WILL “OUT-LIVE” YOU!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with and applaud Tom Finch for his attitude where others seem to look at a permit as yet another "entitlement" for free parking even when they're feeling well..
    The way we're going , entire parking lots will be handicapped only and the folks who truly need the close spaces won't be able to use them..

Personally if I were entitled to a permit, I certainly would only use it when needed.
    '07 CBR1000RR Fireblade "NESBA #74"
    '08 Triumph Rocket III Touring (SOLD)
    Dave's '03 GL1800 Candy Orange (Sold)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "cookies"

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    Surely not me

I have a legal one from a real doctor, and it is well within the law for me to have one

If someone else doesnt care for me to have it, tough cookies
    You go Loren! Tell 'em like it is.
    BTW, exactly what kind of "cookies" might you be referring to?
    '03 IB
    '92 V-Max 1200 (The arm stretcher)
    2010 Challenger CW ll LSA w/Rotax 503 DCDI
    Vacancy . . . This space for rent

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a handi capp tag for my bike here in MS. Tax collector raised hell about it but they do offer the tags so I got one. I've had both knees replaced and also had a triple bypass a few years ago.

The state of MS only allows one handi tag per person but will allow a tag and a hanger. So I use the hanger when I need to in my car or pickup. I was afraid someone would take the hanger if I used it on the bike.

I get dirty looks when I park a bike in a blue parking spot but if they look long enough I'll tell them I'll gladly trade knees with any of them if they want my tag.

Having bad knees doesn't affect the way you ride a bike but it will limit your ability to walk.
    Get ya motor running
    Current ride a 2010 FLHTK named Liz
    ZUMO 550 User
    IBA Member #12875 AMA Member
    ABATE and HOG LIFE Member
    HOG 175,000 mileage program

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Yea, I know what ya mean. Folks look at me funny too when I park in a Handicapped space. At least I think that is why I get those looks. ......
    And, as Loren stated, More than likely, they have seen you eat, and recognized you. Thats my story and its all true

And he was not kidding. I've seen it happen......
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finch View Post
    My son was totally paralyzed by a drunk driver. He has a Handicap van.

I am incensed to see very able bodied people with hangdowns in their luxury cars and know that it is just getting to know the right doctor to get free parking.

I think when it is needed for a non ambulatory or partially ambulatory person it is very helpful. When the spaces they need are taken by people with "connections" I get pretty angry.
    I'm curious how you know who has "connections". MYOB might help the anger.
    I use my handicapped tag by clamping it under the trunk lid. I assumed, at first, that it would be stolen rather quickly, but have used it many times over two-and-a-half years.
    Smitty

don't believe everything you think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PunkinDave View Post
    I agree with and applaud Tom Finch for his attitude where others seem to look at a permit as yet another "entitlement" for free parking even when they're feeling well..
    The way we're going , entire parking lots will be handicapped only and the folks who truly need the close spaces won't be able to use them..

Personally if I were entitled to a permit, I certainly would only use it when needed.
    You're an inspiration to us all.
    Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I'm curious how you know who has "connections". MYOB might help the anger.
    Perhaps one day you'll have the privilage of meeting Tom Finch.. He is one of the most charming gentlemen I've have ever had the pleasure of meeting and he's absolutely brilliant to boot!! I would doubt he just posted to pick a fight with the likes of you..

You're an inspiration to us all.
    Nice response, strike a nerve somewhere did we?? Nowhere did either of us imply that YOU were not in legitimate need of a HC tag, very odd that you took it personally..

Do what you want but since you don't know either of us or what we've observed I would advise you step out of character and keep your myoptic judgements to yourself.. Like most here, I couldn't care less what you or others think about me, I'll just continue to do what I feel is right..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Prior to the HC sticker and plates, it was really hard for me, especially at large stores like Wally World.. I would drive around and around looking for the closest spot, some time it would take half an hour or longer to get the job done but there was no way I could walk half the lot to the door of the building. And even now, with the sticker, I don't always park in HC.. I can walk 20 feet or so, so don't need to be right at the door. If I can find a cart to lean on, I can walk several hundred feet. Most of the time there is a shopping cart with in a few feet of HC parking.

I have just recently started to use the electric powered chairs at Wally World, What a difference, absolutely no physical pain in that thing. For the first time, I actually enjoy putt putting a long and looking at stuff. What a neat way to look at the pretty women LOL .. (I am a dirty old man)

Many times I have seen the car or van with the blue sticker pull into the HC parking spot, Door opens, they jump out and RUN in side.. Not sure what their Handicap is LOL ..

I feel sorry for older folks with blown out knees, bad backs, Arthritis, and many of the other disabling problems we humans have these days of longer lives.
    jmho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PunkinDave View Post
    Perhaps one day you'll have the privilage of meeting Tom Finch.. He is one of the most charming gentlemen I've have ever had the pleasure of meeting and he's absolutely brilliant to boot!! I would doubt he just posted to pick a fight with the likes of you..

Nice response, strike a nerve somewhere did we?? Nowhere did either of us imply that YOU were not in legitimate need of a HC tag, very odd that you took it personally..

Do what you want but since you don't know either of us or what we've observed I would advise you step out of character and keep your myoptic judgements to yourself.. Like most here, I couldn't care less what you or others think about me, I'll just continue to do what I feel is right..
    Well, lets start at the top - "charming" and "brilliant" he may well be, but Tom Finch says he get very angry at people who "have connections" to get handicapped placards. I simply want to to find out how he knows who is and who is not handicapped. I'll bet he is brilliant enough to speak his own mind. Minding your own business is almost a sure cure for being angry with people you know nothing about. You might want to try it yourself sometime.

Secondly, unless you're handicapped, you talking out your neck about something you know nothing about and that's why your uninformed opinion is such an inspiration. I agree one hundred percent about not caring what I think of you - in fact, mostly I don't, think of you, that is.
    Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

Well, lets start at the top - "charming" and "brilliant" he may well be, but Tom Finch says he get very angry at people who "have connections" to get handicapped placards. I simply want to to find out how he knows who is and who is not handicapped. I'll bet he is brilliant enough to speak his own mind. Minding your own business is almost a sure cure for being angry with people you know nothing about. You might want to try it yourself sometime.

Secondly, unless you're handicapped, you talking out your neck about something you know nothing about and that's why your uninformed opinion is such an inspiration. I agree one hundred percent about not caring what I think of you - in fact, mostly I don't, think of you, that is.

I would expect nothing less from someone from the "Bay Area"

Good on you Dave and Tom!!

LOL

Matt(BCNV)
    2007 Black Cherry Airbag*
    2008 Black Cherry Motortrike
    *Traxxion~Mega
    LIMNCS #74
    DS #925
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” -John Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt(BCNV) View Post
    I would expect nothing less from someone from the "Bay Area"
    Matt(BCNV)
    Hey, isn't that close to the place that has pay toilets in the handicapped spots???...

And mooch free meals at motels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IR Harry View Post
    Hey, isn't that close to the place that has pay toilets in the handicapped spots???...

And mooch free meals at motels?
    Exactly!!!

Matt(BCNV)
    2007 Black Cherry Airbag*
    2008 Black Cherry Motortrike
    *Traxxion~Mega
    LIMNCS #74
    DS #925
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” -John Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, you don't know me so your uninformed opinion isn't worth wasting any more time with.. Ya might want to check Tom's post above where he even doesn't always use his tag (although he certainly needs the parking with his condition) Enjoy your self indulgent rage, I'm sure it'll continue to serve your well..
    Last edited by PunkinDave; 09-22-2009 at 08:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.