Rules on military bases for motorcycles???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules on military bases for motorcycles???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rules on military bases for motorcycles???

I have a question about gear requirements for motorcycles on a military base. I'm specifically interested in Camp Pendelton if regulations differ on various bases.

My SO is in San Diego ready to attend her son's graduation from boot camp. She's there on her motorcycle and wants to make sure she will be able to ride her motorcycle onto the base. Does anyone know the details other than current DL/Registration/Insurance, what is required to get on base? She's already wearing jeans, boots covering the ankles, armored jacket, gloves(mesh) and the state mandated helmet.

Is a reflective vest required? If so, other than Big5 or other hunting stores, any good suggestions where to get one?
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

It's been years however I was stationed in VA and my dad drove 3,000 miles from WA state. The gate guard told him he had to go through the base mandated course. He had to have a reflective vest etc. A chief showed up and told the E-2 after 3,000 miles a break could be given and my dad rode on/off base for 3 days with no problems. If I remember he had to go get a base temp sticker. You might want to contact the base itself check out the website
    Stay Low Stay safe. If you have to ask, you don't understand!!! 2002 1800

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John805 View Post
    You might want to contact the base itself check out the website
    I checked the website to try to call, but the phone number page kept reloading, but I managed to get the general info number.. 760-925-4111.

If there's someone specific/department to ask for I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

Post Thanks / Like

I just stayed at a couple of bases in California and each base can enforce different things. The worst was Monterey Naval Postgraduate School, they required all the items you listed, plus you have to show them a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) card, which I don't carry with me. They won't let you in without it. What I would do is contact the base and ask to speak to someone at the Front gate to see what is exactly required per local regulations.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think there is a military installation that does not require a vest. Here at Elmendorf AFB, if riding 2-up, both must wear a vest.

Additionally, bases require boots, gloves, long sleeves and eye protection and of course, a helmet.

For a base pass, they always ask for drivers license with M/C endorsement, registration and proof of insurance.

As for which vest, the Icon Mil-Spec Mesh Vest meets all military installation requirements regarding colors and reflective areas.
    Last edited by bjcarter2; 10-08-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I think if she's just going in on a visitor's pass for graduation... they'll let her pass w/o the MSF course proof. But I can guarantee they'll require a high-vis jacket or vest along with the other stuff she already has.

If you can find the phone number for the base Provost Marshal Office (PMO), that'll be the place you want to call for requirements. Make sure you tell them she's only wanting a 1-day pass as a visitor for the graduation ceremony. They'll probably be a little more lax on any requirements for that than they would be for just regular business.
    Last edited by ATCguy; 10-07-2009 at 11:57 PM.

AMA - BMW MOA

'07 Honda GL1800A Goldwing
    '14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
    '14 Dutchmen VOLTAGE 3200 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know if these are DOD regs or just Navy, but here on the east coast (NAVY)

- Over ankle boots
    - gloves
    - eye protection (full shield or glasses with helmet)
    - long sleeve shirt (jacket no longer required)
    - helmet of course

- if not Navy I recommend reflective vest as its better be safe than sorry, easy to put on and take off and this rule only changed for navy within the last year or so, alot of folks still wear them.
    Senior Chief, USN Retired
    2004 Candy Black Cherry
    2014 Pearl Blue
    www.mydamnchannel.com

Intelligent people follow the science and the facts, not regurgitate opinions based on thin air - http://www.skepticalscience.com/.

Parts of the truth are still not the truth, get the facts, all the facts - http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/

Post Thanks / Like

Military is the military, rules and rules and regulations are regulations. No exceptions, that is the way everyone is programmed.

Yep you gotta have a reflective hi viz vest, does not matter if you already have a hi viz reflective bright yeller jacket, still gotta have a vest !!

No need to arque with the fellow at the gate, not going to work, go get a vest.

Watch the speed limit on military bases too, they are sticklers for that.

Kit
    " The GL1800 " A grand motorcycle it is. For touring,fun and to see the world there is no other like it. Big and powerful and comfortable for those cross country rides. Also perhaps the very ultimate ambassador to itself and to those who ride it and meet new friends at the many meets and activities this machine brings to the equation.

Post Thanks / Like

Your right a base is a base but the Marine Corps Bases are not as the Air Forces or Army I have rode on many of the Army and Air Forces Bases and nver had any theing but my colors (EGA and retired) go to a Marine and the they stop me and I have to put my reflective vest on, and they give me a visitor pass.

So if This person in question is visiting her son she can have the all the stuff on and a reflective vest and get a visitor pass if all the other documents are up to date, as long as she is not trying to stay on base for more then a day at a time. Now it you are talking for several days then she might have to due the course. I have been retired for 22 years now and things have changed.......
    "R.I.P. Beverly"

After it is all said an done then you find out the real truth, that it is just one big smoke screen.
    So do the only thing you can do, sit down, shut up, hang on, and have one hell of a great ride;o)
    IBA#7649 DS#39 Triple Darksider Hannigan Trike
    Goodyear Assurance 3 205/55/16 45 psi
    Double Dark Front Battlax BT45 40 psi
    total gas 34.2
    Dusty
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    67VV87
    USMC(ret)

Seasoned Member Wade Moorefield's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glarson3 View Post
    I have a question about gear requirements for motorcycles on a military base. I'm specifically interested in Camp Pendelton if regulations differ on various bases.

My SO is in San Diego ready to attend her son's graduation from boot camp. She's there on her motorcycle and wants to make sure she will be able to ride her motorcycle onto the base. Does anyone know the details other than current DL/Registration/Insurance, what is required to get on base? She's already wearing jeans, boots covering the ankles, armored jacket, gloves(mesh) and the state mandated helmet.

Is a reflective vest required? If so, other than Big5 or other hunting stores, any good suggestions where to get one?
    Navy Regs say a vest is only required at night. Other than the gear you mentioned (all required) don't forget eye protection. A windshield without specific eye protection won't cut it.
    USN CPO Retired
    IBA 32058
    Darksider #521
    Dunlap SP3000 195/55/16

Post Thanks / Like

New regs have come out from DoD and all installations are requiring riders to have long sleeves, gloves, helmet, reflective type of material, proof of insurance, proof of MSF (BRC or ERC) training, over the ankle leather shoes, safety eyewear (must wrap around) or face shield. Wind screens don't cut it, scrip glasses don't cut it, must wrap around the face.

those of us who ride here at NSA Crane, are being sent back to school every three years (free, so why fight it?) It's ATTGATT for us here all of the time.
    No,Thanks, Keep the Change!

Michael D. Roach, PM, Sec of Moore Lodge #303, Odon, IN

Susie Roach, PGM Indiana OES (2004-2005)

2007 Metallic Blue Airbag
    1 Adult Boxer
    1 VERY FINE Wife, Co-Rider and My VERY BEST FRIEND
    LIMNCS #94

Notorious Rocket Scientist The Astute Reader(tm)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings!

Aberdeen Proving Grounds (Army) requires full gear, a reflective vest, and a MSF card at all times, day or night, civilian or active duty.
    Best Regards,
    Lee E. Brown

"Greetings from Herkheimer Industries!"

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this will help.

http://www.pendleton.usmc.mil/inform...baseaccess.asp

What do I need for my vehicle to access base?

Decals are issued to military personnel and their authorized family members, DoD government employees, as well as Common Access Card (CAC) authorized civilian contractors. All vehicles are subject to installation rules and regulations. Those are what I couldn't find. Visitors must provide current liability insurance, current registration and proof of valid drivers license.

Who can I contact if I have more questions?

Contact the Base Access Control Branch at (760) 763-1220.

Provost Marshal Office (Military Police)725-3888 Desk Sergeant763-2077/2076

Tried to drill down better on their web page without luck. The PMO # will be your best bet.

Wally World has safety reflective vests.
    Don
    US Army Retired 74-96
    AMVETS/PGR Rider
    06 Titanium Wing, level III
    Falken, ZE-912, 195/55/16 @ 44psi W/3oz Dyna Beads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F-111F View Post
    I just stayed at a couple of bases in California and each base can enforce different things. The worst was Monterey Naval Postgraduate School, they required all the items you listed, plus you have to show them a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) card, which I don't carry with me. They won't let you in without it. What I would do is contact the base and ask to speak to someone at the Front gate to see what is exactly required per local regulations.
    When I traded bikes, I tried to get a new base sticker for the new bike. They said I had to have a MSF card no more than three years old. I had to take a course and get a new card to get the sticker.
    '08 GL1800 ABS
    '03 GL 1800
    '87 Aspencade
    D/S #266
    ôRudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

Post Thanks / Like

what the person is asking is can she visit and what she needs, to visit every thing you folks are saying I am not sure a one days requires all you folks are.
    "R.I.P. Beverly"

After it is all said an done then you find out the real truth, that it is just one big smoke screen.
    So do the only thing you can do, sit down, shut up, hang on, and have one hell of a great ride;o)
    total gas 34.2
    Dusty
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    67VV87
    USMC(ret)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I'm retired Navy, and still work on base as a Civilian DOD employee now. Here is what is actually required:
    Since you are only visiting for a boot camp graduation, you will need to get a temporary vehicle pass for you bike(have registration, insurance, license and another form of ID) at the gate.
    What you need to wear: over ankle shoes(boot type), long pants, long sleeves(shirt, jacket, whatever)(reflective vest only if it is after sunset or before sunrise), DOT approved helmet, gloves, eye protection (face shield or wrap around glasses).
    Thats it, if you have any questions, PM me. Call the base ahead of time to find out exactly where to get your temporary vehicle pass at. Keep in mind the base has the right to search you and your bike upon entering base.
    Jim
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
    RMC(SS) (Retired) U.S.Navy Submarine Force
    Served with pride, retired with honor!

States traveled on my '02 Black Goldwing

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Might I suggest that you contact the base for specifics regarding civilian motorcycling guidelines. There is a directive regarding base personnel (see http://www.i-mef.usmc.mil/meu/15thme...05101%207D.pdf ). It reads in typical military styled composition.
    Congrats to her son.
    St Louis, Mo

NY, Woodbourne, Home of "Shin-Grips" & Board Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Desk Sergeant 760-763-2077/2076 Criminal Investigation Division 760-763-2796 PMO Operations 760-763-1222 Admin Service 760-763-1221 Police Records 760-725-0819 Pass and ID/VEH REG - Main Gate 760-725-2768/2865 Pass and ID/VEH REG - JRC 760-725-2442/2106 Pass and ID/VEH REG - San Onofre 760-763-6476/6471 Domestic Animal Control 760-725-8120 Physical Security/Crime Prevention 760-725-9454/5725 Crime Prevention and Community Relations 760-725-9452 Civil Court Liaison 760-725-6102

Seasoned Member TitaniumStallion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Military or not, You are required to have

- MFS endorsement
    - Motorcycle endorsment on license
    - Over ankle boots
    - gloves
    - wrap around eye protection (full shield or glasses with helmet)
    - long sleeve shirt (jacket no longer required but highly reccomended)
    - DOT helmet of course
    - At night or early morning you are required to wear a reflective vest or clothing, Reflective piping is not authorized.
    - Insurence and registration is a must.

But like you said, its different base to base, The only item that Im not sure on is MSF endorsment on a visiting civilian, but I can assure you everything else is required.

You can call this number which is the office who issues the passes and ask them, Good luck and Congrats. 760-725-2768 (Pass and ID)
    2006 GL1800, Titanium, Comfort

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I must be losing the meaning of the question. Reg for Visitors is not the same for people that are looking for a base sricker.

The differences are not much, but there is a difference for example if you drive a car on base to get a base sticker you must have lots of things for example you have to have proof you belong on the base and have a need to be on and off the base for an extended period of time if you do not have an active sticker from another Base.

If you have never had a base sticker or you do not have an active base sticker and you want drive on base for a reason such as graduation a visitor will work as long as you have the proper documents DI, insurance,and what else is required by the state the motorcycle is registered in. So motorcycle Classes are not for the people here today gone in 20 minutes..........

Now saying that things have changed I have been retired for 22 years but I don't think it has changed that much.

I think you need to call the Base and be sure to ask them for information for a visitors pass regarding a Motorcycle for the purpose to visit for Private (what ever the Marines name is ) graduation.

Because all these folks are tell you what is needed to get a sticker.

BTW tell him and Semper Fi
    "R.I.P. Beverly"

total gas 34.2
    Dusty
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
    67VV87
    USMC(ret)

Seasoned Member TitaniumStallion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dusty74 View Post
    Ok I must be losing the meaning of the question. Reg for Visitors is not the same for people that are looking for a base sricker.

The differences are not much, but there is a difference for example if you drive a car on base to get a base sticker you must have lots of things for example you have to have proof you belong on the base and have a need to be on and off the base for an extended period of time if you do not have an active sticker from another Base.

If you have never had a base sticker or you do not have an active base sticker and you want drive on base for a reason such as graduation a visitor will work as long as you have the proper documents DI, insurance,and what else is required by the state the motorcycle is registered in. So motorcycle Classes are not for the people here today gone in 20 minutes..........

Now saying that things have changed I have been retired for 22 years but I don't think it has changed that much.

I think you need to call the Base and be sure to ask them for information for a visitors pass regarding a Motorcycle for the purpose to visit for Private (what ever the Marines name is ) graduation.

Because all these folks are tell you what is needed to get a sticker.

BTW tell him and Semper Fi
    I just got off the phone with the gate guard, and like I suspected you will need all PPE, DL, Proof of Insurence and REG. the only item not required is MSF. MSF endorsement is required for all DOD component.
    2006 GL1800, Titanium, Comfort

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beachbomb View Post
    Keep in mind the base has the right to search you and your bike upon entering base.
    Jim
    This goes without saying, but it must be said none the less. If you travel with a CCW firearm typically, leave it at home or secured with a local gun shop. Don't even think of going onboard base with a firearm even stowed safety in the bike. If that random check happens, that graduation is going to happen with you outside, looking in, rather than attending. Not to mention a whole world of trouble hanging over your head. Just a FYI.
    KZ
    Fenton, MO
    2001 IR "Cruz Missile"
    Darkside/Traxxion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumStallion View Post
    I just got off the phone with the gate guard, and like I suspected you will need all PPE, DL, Proof of Insurence and REG. the only item not required is MSF. MSF endorsement is required for all DOD component.
    What's PPE? I'm just not sure if she has her MSF endorsement with her. She took the course.

Thanks in advance.
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Connecticut at the Coast Guard Academy .. AND .. at the Submarine BAse .. the regulations are very simple ...

1) Helmet w/ reflective sticker (sometimes they'll let the sticker thing slide)
    2) long sleeve shirt (no t-shirt)
    3) long pants (no shorts)
    4) boots (NO SNEAKERS)
    5) license with motorcycle endorsement (shown upon entry)
    6) proof of insurance (only if asked)

My families thanks and appreciation for her sons service ... and the sacrafice they are both making.
    BozoDriver
    aka: Rabbai
    PGR Member

Life is short! Break the rules!
    Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly!
    Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably .
    And never regret anything that made you smile

NEVER FORGET ... and give generously to the USO @ http://uso.org/

Post Thanks / Like

What's PPE?
    Personal Protective Equipment me thinks.

Steve Cordray
    2012 Lava Bronze Can-Am Spyder RT

2010 Metallic Titanium w/ABS (Sold)
    06 Bushtec Quantum GL (Sold)
    USAF Retired
    Tulsa OK

Post Thanks / Like

And that's full fingered gloves, not your fingerless motorcycle gloves

2007 Dark Orange Wing---
    Audio/Comfort/Nav/ABS

Post Thanks / Like

Call the base you are visiting and speak to Provo marshall/Mps. Ask what is required for base visit on a motorcycle. Do not rely on what other bases or branches require or what some one on the board has told you. Better to be right than to be sorry.

"Dream as if you live live forever, and live as if you will die today"
    Topster
    02 IB ABS Gold Wing
    http://WWW.Topster10.com
    http://WWW.Essextroop.org

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to call Pendleton for their specific requirements. Bases are different and each service is different.

For example, Camp Lejeune, New River MCAS and Cherry Point MCAS don't require a vest. Leadership decided the vests were not that effective.

Other PPE (personal protective equipment) required is: DOT helmet, long sleeve upper garment, long pants, eye protection, gloves and sturdy shoes (boots preferred).

How do I know all this? I work report for duty each morning at either Lejeune or Cherry Point.

Hope this helps. Ride safely.

Bob E.

It is like sport to a fool to do wrong, but wise conduct is pleasure to a man of understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to call the base. All are the same and are adopted from the DODI. Here's an exert from the Marine instruction,

c. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
    (1) The following PPE is mandatory for all persons operating
    or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle on DoD installations, and
    for all military personnel operating or riding on a motorcycle off
    installations, on and off road, in uniform or civilian clothes:
    (a) A properly fastened (under the chin) protective helmet
    which meets the standards of the Snell Memorial Foundation (SNELL),
    the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), or the Department
    of Transportation (DOT).
    (b) Impact or shatter resistant goggles or full-face
    shield attached to the helmet. A windshield, eyeglasses or fairing
    alone is not considered proper eye protection.
    (c) A brightly colored outer upper garment during the day
    and a reflective upper garment at night or a commercially available
    mesh/fabric vest that is bright yellow, international orange or lime
    green with two 1 1/2" to 2" wide vertical or horizontal retroeflective
    strips front and back. The vest is authorized for wear by
    Marines in uniform, and should be removed as soon as the Marine gets
    off the motorcycle. The garment must not be covered or concealed,
    such as by a backpack.
    (d) Hard-soled shoes with heels. The use of leather boots
    or over the ankle shoes is encouraged.
    (e) Properly worn long-sleeved shirt or jacket, longegged
    trousers and full-fingered gloves or mittens.

USAF (Ret) in OKC
    2008 GL1800 Titanium
    Darksider #398

Post Thanks / Like

Google MCO 5100.19E

I taught MSF course for all branches of the US military for years and assisted in the United States Marine Corps Combat Courier course in Okinawa for a couple of years.
    All of the PPE requirements for on-road has remained the same for decades since the DOD Instructions adopted the US Navy's most stringent requirements. The USAF Safety Agency wanted to emphasize education since it's easy to hide in traffic while wearing day-glow orange and also easy to stand out in traffic while wearing all black but that was shot down.
    Off-road PPE has been revised over the years and on-road probably will be revised to include armor. I've heard rumors the Air Mobility Command at Scott AFB may be trying to do just that.

USAF (Ret) in OKC
    2008 GL1800 Titanium
    Darksider #398

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.