Former Harley Trike Riders
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Former Harley Trike Riders

highpockets

Default Former Harley Trike Riders

If you were a former HD Ultra Classic Trike rider, why did you switch to the Honda Goldwing Trike?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    If you were a former HD Ultra Classic Trike rider, why did you switch to the Honda Goldwing Trike?
    I owned an Ultra before and now a 2010 Heritage and the GW Trike.

The Goldwing simply makes for a better conversion:

Liquid cooled.

Standard reverse.

Much larger engine.
    2008 GL1800 CSC Trike Pearl White
    Wags Pet/Cargo Trailer
    2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide 103

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlashG View Post
    I owned an Ultra before and now a 2010 Heritage and the GW Trike.

The Goldwing simply makes for a better conversion:

Liquid cooled.

Standard reverse.

Much larger engine.

Not too mention your intercom conversations come through loud and clear.....

highpockets

Default Forner HD trike rider

Thanks. I have been considering triking my HD Ultra. I like the HD but have had some feedback that the HD does not have enough power to pull a trike and then some say that it does. I don't ride fast anyway? Any comments? Ride Safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree Lonestar...Harley has a crystal clear intercom system without all of the wind noise...voice activated system vs Honda constantly open mic. Yes exhasut noise is a factor, but does not effect the intercom.
    Gary Peitz
    2012 Harley Davidson Tri Glide
    Christian Motorcyclists Association
    GWRRA

USAF 1964-1969

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gwillie View Post
    I disagree Lonestar...Harley has a crystal clear intercom system without all of the wind noise...voice activated system vs Honda constantly open mic. Yes exhasut noise is a factor, but does not effect the intercom.

No I was kiddin' because of my other intercom post.......... Now I just leave mine unplugged.... "cause you never know who's listenin'!
    Last edited by LoneStarTrikes; 11-06-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't owned a H-D since the 1950s but I have owned lots of different brand m/cs before and since the Hummer.

Some folks like to try different things. For instance, I test rode a Can Am Spyder RT today and would like to have one when I tire of my pristine and loaded 2008 RoadSmith, ...or when someone talks me into selling it as was the case with the K1200LT that preceded it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have been considering triking my HD Ultra. I like the HD but have had some feedback that the HD does not have enough power to pull a trike and then some say that it does. I don't ride fast anyway? Any comments? Ride Safe.
    If it is stock twin cam 88, then yes, much more power w/ Wing. Of course you can punch up the twin cam to get near the power of the Wing, but that is quite expensive. I had a Road King, stage 2 and debated triking it, but after much thought decided on triking the Wing, which I already had as a two wheeler.

BUT if you already have the Ultra, it can make a nice trike, it's just not gonna have the torque of a water cooled engine. The one thing I hear the most from people moving from HD to Wing, is they prefer the sitting position of the HD to the more upright position of the Wing. I am just the opposite, I prefer the Wing seating. If you are happy w/ your Ultra, I would think seriously about triking it. The only thing is, you will have to do more downshifting to take steep hills than you do w/ a wing, but you are already doing that w/ your Harley. And the Harley is not gonna be as smooth as the Wing. But that's no big deal, you are already use the the HD.

Oh almost forgot, if you have the twin cam 95, you are almost up the power of the wing.
    '04 Wing/ '06 Champion Trike Kit

"When I talk to myself, no one is there. I miss me."

Post Thanks / Like

The new HD factory trikes have a 103 engine and a 6 speed transmission.
    2008 GL1800 CSC Trike Pearl White
    Wags Pet/Cargo Trailer
    2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide 103

Post Thanks / Like

The last H-D that we owned will be our last (is that an oxymoron?). It was an Ultra Classic and I thought that it was one of the better Harleys that we had owned. When we decided to convert, I went to a friend who owns three H-D dealerships in the Middle TN area. He had two Motor Trikes in stock and offered them both to us to test for the weekend. He and I both wanted us to stay with Harley-Davidson. I’d spent a lot of money throughout the years with him and he liked that.

We first took an '08 that had been punched up to a 103c.i. (1690c.c.) using the famed Screaming Eagle kit. We knew that this was the more powerful one and we wanted to put it through its paces first.

We rode it to our home, about seven or eight miles away. As soon as we pulled in the drive, the wife patted me on the shoulder and whispered (I had turned off the key already) "You don't like this do you?" I was so glad to hear those words. Those seven or eight miles had been the worse riding that I have experienced in my forty-five years of riding bikes. We went back out and test rode it for maybe an hour but it absolutely was the worse riding I've ever experienced. It was underpowered, rode like a log wagon (and I know how a log wagon rides) and by then, we were looking for something quieter. We had rode Harley’s for sometime and our hearing wasn't getting any better. Oh, one more thing, the bottom end low speed torque was none existent. We took the trike back that same day and never rode the smaller engined 95c.i. (1550c.c.) trike.

I know that there will be some who will disagree. Disagreement is good. There is a Harley trike owner somewhere out there who could probably tell this story, but in reverse. Where ever he is, I only hope that he enjoys his H-D conversion like we enjoy our Gold Wing conversion.

Ride safe,

Wayne
    Wayne Sawyer
    Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
    Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
    U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
    '08 GL Hannigan

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
    Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

Post Thanks / Like

just sold my H/D and lose my A__ __ think it came to around $13500......boy any I happy

Emmitt

You know it’s time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.

Rides a Motortrike
    James 4:14

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know my comments will be slightly OT;but here goes. I think that H-D is getting their cumupins. In their attempt to:
    1. satisfy their stockholders, and
    2. kill off the clone market(Big Dog, Titan, etc., etc.)
    they increased their production level to meet their perceived demand, and raised their prices. The collateral damage in this plan is that HD also killed off the used Harley market. Like PA PA SMURF, I lost my shirt last month when I sold my '01 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide(8,000 miles). I also included a 6 x 12 Wells Cargo Motorcycle Wagon in the deal.
    Now that H-D's profits and stock are in the tank, they are jettisoning all the acquisitions they made in their hay-day. They've also changed their marketing focus away from the baby boomers who they've PO'd. IMHO the days of the the air-cooled V-Twin are numbered. I see where for 2010 H-D has added another trike to their line up. I was in my local H-D shop and saw a '10 Tri-Glide on the floor for $32,000.00 plus taxes and fees, YGTBKM!!!!!!
    When I began my trike research in 2004, I knew from my H-D experience(3 different EFI bikes:1996, 1997, 2001) that I would not trike a V-Twin. Not enough power for the added weight of the conversion, plus passenger, plus luggage. I traded my '97 Ultra on a '02 GL1800. We had it triked in 2006 and haven't looked back since. Hopefully before the snow flies, we'll be moving from our original solid axle trike to a new '09 level 2 Hannigan.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, after reading your post, I went to the H-D website (http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&camp_id=16&_cr= ppc|google|HAR:Model%20Year%202010:USA|harley%20da vidson%20tri-glide&source_cd=SEM_flhtcutg#/model/flhtcutg/accessories) and looked at the Tri-Glide, which by the way, is not the configuration that we tested in late ’07. I was looking for something to “bring me back”.

Knowing that H-D hooked up with Lehman, and understanding that they incorporate a straight axle and are retaining the rubber drive belt, I’m dead in the dirt as soon as I start looking. However, I began to salivate looking at the available colors, the beautiful gauges, the wheels, and the front end. The negatives I noticed were no auxiliary fuel tank, no running boards, and an extremely small trunk (5cf). To the eyes, it’s a beautiful package but at this stage in our lives, comfort and power are the two most desired items on our wish list. Even at 103 c.i. (1650 c.c.), the power generated with the V-Twin EFI is an altogether different kind of power. The signature lope provided by the wide valve angle of the Harley is no longer a turn on to either of us. As our other former H-D owners will attest, the vibration of the engine can really tire you out over a long ride. H-D can’t put enough rubber in their motor mounts to isolate the riders and passengers from the extreme vibration put out by the V-Twin.

Question: Why is it that every time a Harley rider pulls beside you at a stop, they always run up their throttle? I’ve often wondered if they are doing it to keep the bike running or just want the attention. That was brought to my attention several years ago when we converted over and we’ve sort of made an unscientific test out of listening for the proverbial throttle run-up. It amazing how high the percentage is now! I joke with my H-D club members about it and they just laugh it off. Some say that the vibration given off at the idle state is so uncomfortable that they run up the RPM to smooth out the engine. I suppose that some might do it unconsciously.

Ride safe,

Wayne
    Wayne Sawyer
    Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
    Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
    U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
    '08 GL Hannigan

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
    Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not yet own a trike - still looking and deciding.
    I have test rode several conversions on both Harleys and Hondas.
    1. It will not be a Harley - not enough power even w/the 103. Very choppy, harsh ride due in part to the short wheel base and the straight axled Lehman conversion. Hanningan first, then Champion IRS, then Motor Trike 3rd for the Harley. Again all w/IRS but still not enough power, these were 96inchers.
    2. So far, the smoothest straight line and cornering ride is the Wing w/ EZ-steer, anti-dive disabled and a Hannigan Conversion. Hannigan is IRS, has the widest stance avail. I believe, and lengthens the overall wheelbase.
    3. Do not care for the foot fairings on any as I think it lowers ground clearance to much.

Banned
    The Old North State, aka the Tar Heel State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben721364 View Post
    I haven't owned a H-D since the 1950s but I have owned lots of different brand m/cs before and since the Hummer.

Some folks like to try different things. For instance, I test rode a Can Am Spyder RT today and would like to have one when I tire of my pristine and loaded 2008 RoadSmith, ...or when someone talks me into selling it as was the case with the K1200LT that preceded it.
    Ben, tell me more about the Can Am RT. Did you like the seating position and its ride compared to your GW Trike?

Ken

Squating Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, having both in the garage, 07 GW Trike CSC and a 2010 Road Glide 2 wheeler I'll say this.
    1st, yes the wing has all the power that you'll ever need ( a 6th speed would be great though)
    The Harley sits more comfortable to me...
    The wing is more comfortable to the wife ( she wins)
    If I had one bike for US, it will be the wing because of the comfort for the wife.
    If I had one bike for ME, it would be the HD, warts and all.

The sitting position is just so much better for me that it outweighs the negatives of the V-twin....but really the HD is not that bad...the vibes coming from the bike, even at idle are not that bad....and I don;t run up the revs....maybe I'm used to it....

As a trike, if you're comfortable with the foot position of the wing, it would be the best platform for a trike, if you not...then it won't...really simple...

US trike = Wing
    Me Trike = Harley

But all this is based on the "ME" factor....we are all not built the same or have the same wants and needs.....

Hers-2007 Goldwing CSC Trike, Silver
    His-2013 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic, Hot White Pearl.
    Bushtec Roadstar,
    Blue Knights KYII, Life Member HOG,Iron Butt Member,AMA Member

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL-DAWG View Post
    Ben, tell me more about the Can Am RT. Did you like the seating position and its ride compared to your GW Trike?

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    I would like to have a little more room (perhaps 1/2 inch) at the back of the rider's seat (leg room) and it shouldn't be a problem to modify the seat. The seating position is upright and the pegs well placed.
    I was highly impressed with the ride, the handling, the storage room, the weather protection and all the bells and whistles. The engine can be felt at idle but smooths out when the revs increase. I think it has ample power.
    Comparing the RT to the Roadsmith/GL1800 or the Hannigan/K LT that preceded it is tough. The Hannigan and the RoadSmith are similar in handling, features, luggage space, etc. and I have no criticisms of either and can recommend both. As regards the RT, I'm not in the market but would consider buying one if someone came along wanting my pristine RoadSmith; simply because I like to try new things. For 2-up with a trailer, I think the GL is a better choice. For 1-up without ...?
    Best,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Guys:
    Never having owned a HD and with no baseline to speak of I will relay a conversation the wife and I had on the BRP a few weeks ago with a tri-glide owner. He asked first off what gas mileage our wing got and when I told him it depended but was always over 35 mpg his jaw dropped, seems his tri-glide was only getting in the 20s mpg. His wife looked at him and said "looks like we bought the wrong trike baby". He then asked to look in the trunk of our CSC and then commented "looks like you have more room than the Glove Boox we got". That's all I got and like I said I personal have no baseline, just know this guy and his wife were not happy with the low MPG small gas tank and lack of storage.
    04 Honda Shadow Aero
    07 Suzuki M109
    08 Level 3 CSC Cobra
    "Non Sibi Sed Patriae"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WOJO View Post
    Guys:
    Never having owned a HD and with no baseline to speak of I will relay a conversation the wife and I had on the BRP a few weeks ago with a tri-glide owner. He asked first off what gas mileage our wing got and when I told him it depended but was always over 35 mpg his jaw dropped, seems his tri-glide was only getting in the 20s mpg. His wife looked at him and said "looks like we bought the wrong trike baby". He then asked to look in the trunk of our CSC and then commented "looks like you have more room than the Glove Boox we got". That's all I got and like I said I personal have no baseline, just know this guy and his wife were not happy with the low MPG small gas tank and lack of storage.
    Interesting observations. Mileage on my GL1800 trike is improving as time goes on. I recently got 31 mpg on a straight highway run at the speed limit. What is the capacity of the TriGlide trunk? As I recall CSC has far from the largest trunk on their GL1800 kit.

Squating Member
    Post Thanks / Like

we have a CSC and I looked into the trunk of the HD tri-glide, the hd has a larger trunk...as for mpg I've never gotten 35+, usually around 25 to 32 mpg.....but everyone's trike may be different.

Hers-2007 Goldwing CSC Trike, Silver
    His-2013 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic, Hot White Pearl.
    Bushtec Roadstar,
    Blue Knights KYII, Life Member HOG,Iron Butt Member,AMA Member

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.