GL1800Riders Forums banner

An open letter to all gold wing owners... Especially new owners:

8K views 66 replies 47 participants last post by  Crumbob 
#1 ·
As the title states... this is mainly written for new owners. But after years of being here on this board, I think many others ought to read it as well.

Although there are folks on this board who are senior to me... as a owner since 2005, I think I qualify as at least a semi-expert on these bikes. As such, I have a few tips / pointers / suggestions for you that will make your Gold Wing experience a far more pleasant one.

Of course, before I get started, there are a few caveats:

* While these are meant to be generalized statements, they are by no means ‘global statements’ that will apply to everyone’s situation.

* You probably will not always agree with me. That’s fine. I’m ok with that.

* None of the points I make should be considered as being a ‘slam’, ‘diss’, or attack directed at any one person or group. Having said that, you know the old sayings: if the show fits, wear it... and if your phone rings, answer it. :)

These are listed in no particular order... and while some may dove-tail @ reference previous points, most should simply be taken individually.

1) Chances are, you WILL find physical flaws with your Gold Wing. It’s an assembly line product, not a custom built bike... and as such, regardless of how good the quality control measures are, there are bound to be mistakes made every now & then. Sometimes it’s a defective part, while other times it’s simply bad workmanship.

2) Even if your bike does not have any physical flaws... chances are you WILL find something about your bike that you either do not like, or wish did something differently. Notice I did NOT say, “better”. The word “better” is a relative term... because, while YOU may find something works “better” for you, the same thing may not necessarily be “better” for someone else. Though this could apply to many things, the first thing that comes to mind here are the bike’s ergonomics. While moving the seating position relative to the handlebars & foot peg positions might be “better” for your 5’ 10” frame... I can guarantee you that the same seat position won’t be “better” for our taller riders.

3) Your bike will probably have at least one feature that you could care less about and wish you didn’t have to pay for. Conversely, it probably also has at least one feature that you feel you couldn’t live without. Unfortunately for Honda... the same feature that is useless for you is something that another owner feels they couldn’t live without. Again, this is not a custom built bike.

4) It’s a fact that motorcycle parts & accessories are sometimes expensive... especially in comparison with parts & accessories for other vehicles. Sometimes outrageously so. Most of the time, it comes from the fact that... while the same research, development, production, and testing dollars gets spent by a company making an accessory for a car or for motorcycle... the company making them for cars can spread that cost over far more items than can the company making an accessory for a motorcycle. It’s simply a matter of numbers. Other times it’s simply because they can. Either way, unless you want to begin making your own, that’s the way it is.

5) Maintaining your Gold Wing costs money... and yes, is sometimes expensive. Tires aren’t cheap, but necessary. So are brake pads. The oil & filter should be changed often. The brake & clutch fluids should be changed annually... as should the air filter (or at least, checked). I change my windscreen every 2 years, no matter what... because it’s taken a lot of abuse over that time, and usually has a few dings & scratches by then (your mileage may vary). And when you do your maintenance (or have it done), don’t skimp. I’ll not get into the “best oil” or “best tire” issues here, but I look at it like this: you bought a $20,000+ motorcycle... don’t bitch & skimp on a $1 crush washer, or a $3 caliper bolt.

6) Some people are fortunate enough to have a great hometown dealer, while the majority of people don’t. If you have a good dealer... SUPPORT THEM!! They need it. Even if they charge a little more for a part or accessory you could get cheaper on the internet... the investment in supporting them will most likely be rewarded when you need something badly from them. However... regardless of what type of dealer you have or may encounter, remember this: they are in business to make money. As such, respect that need. If you are the type who feels it’s ok to buy your tires off of the internet and expect your dealer to mount them for $10 or $15 each... then expect to get raped by that same dealer when you need real service done on your bike. Think about it... would you buy a steak at the grocery store, and then ask the cook at your favorite restaurant to cook it so you could take it home to eat?

7) Not all Honda dealerships & service facilities are the same. Nor will they always be conveniently located if or when you have a problem on the road. And even if they are, they may not have the part that you need in stock. This is a huge headache for us Gold Wing owners, but is a fact of life. If a dealership is located in a rural area, chances are the majority of their clientele will be dirt bike & ATV riders... and they will stock parts & accessories accordingly. If the dealership is in a large city, their focus will quite possibly be the cruiser & sport bike crowd. You can’t expect them to invest & stock items they don’t sell often. And when they can accommodate you... again, remember: while the dealer may be able to commiserate with your situation, he is in business to make money. None of us want to be gouged on parts or service, but you can’t expect the dealer to extend a discounted price to you... a 1-time transient customer. This is especially true is he’s going to stop work on his other customers’ bikes to get you back on the road again. Expect to pay full price... and if they gave you excellent service and got you back on your way again quickly, a $20 bill placed into the hand of the mechanic who wrenched your bike wouldn’t be inappropriate.

8 ) If you have one of the upgraded versions of the Wing (with comfort package, ABS, air bag, etc.), you may have had to pay for a feature you didn’t want in order to get the one that you did want. Well, see point #3 above. Ok, seriously... while it would be nice to order various packages ‘a la carte’, the assembly line process is streamlined for efficiency. While I don’t know the engineering or marketing reasoning behind Honda’s decision for that (I have a good idea, but don’t KNOW)... you are the one who made the decision to buy the bike & pay for it, so do yourself a favor: get over it. It’s water over the dam.

9) This brings me to the various posts, polls, and other grumblings you’ll see on this board occasionally. Let me try to save you some heartache & time right off the bat: HONDA DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK SHOULD BE ADDED - OFFERED - CHANGED - MODIFIED - and/or REMOVED FROM FUTURE MODEL GOLD WINGS. Period. Sure, ok... if it makes you feel better to vent, rant, rave and commiserate with your fellow owners here on the board about why Honda did this, or why they don’t do that... then go right ahead. But if you think Honda gives 2 hoots in hell about what you or others on this board type, you’re living in fantasy world. Think about it...

A) For one, Honda knows they make the number one touring bike in the world, and have done so consecutively for the past 20 years or so with no serious contenders. Oh sure, every few years, someone comes along with their ‘touring model’ bike... but in the end, they’re usually just bagged versions of a bike they already make, and always fall short of the mark. And while it appears that BMW has made a real effort to break into this market by create a completely new design with their K 1600 GT & GTL bike... it’s still in its infancy with flaws that need to be addressed & corrected before it’ll be any real competition for Honda. They know this, and as such, build the bike they feel will continue to appeal to the greatest amount of buyers.

B) Even though many of us on this particular forum may like to ride our Wings aggressively in the curves, and take them on Iron Butt rallies.... a Honda marketing rep for North America told me face-to-face last year that they know their baseline Gold Wing customer is over 40, around 6-feet tall, either successfully employed or living on a pension, and usually rides with their spouse or significant other with the bike either near or slightly over its cargo capacity rating. They interpret this to mean that their customers want a comfortable, ‘tame’ bike... tuned for long distance but not necessarily high-speed performance, with low gearing for full cargo loads. And while they don’t recommend pulling a trailer, they do understand it is widely adopted practice (especially among older married owners)... which is another reason for keeping the gearing on the machine low and tuning the engine for its current torque range.

10) Finally... NO ONE KNOWS WHEN THE NEXT GENERATION GOLD WING WILL DEBUT... nor does anyone know what the engine size will be, what accessories will be included, etc. While all brands secretive about their R&D processes... Honda is notoriously tight-lipped about its new models, not even letting their dealers know what’s coming until they make their public announcements each year. So when anyone tells you they’ve heard this, or got a good source telling them that... just smile and say “ok”, because they don’t know jack.

So what does all of the above mean? It’s simple:

STOP BITCHING & WHINING about the things you may not like about your Wing, or wish were different!! It will do you absolutely no good, and will only make you miserable.

Instead...

* Remember all of the good things about the bike, which made you select it over the other models you compared it to.

* Begin thinking of ways to modify the things you either don’t like or wish were different. The vertically challenged actress Linda Hunt as the saloon manager in the movie Silverado uttered a very poignant line to Kevin Kline’s character. As she steps around the back of the bar, and up the ramp she stood on to bring her to the same height as her customers, she tells him... “The world is what you make of it, friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations.” So figure out a way to make things work they way you want them to. Since the bike has remained basically unchanged since 2001... you’ll find many ideas & things that have already been modified by others that you can either copy or further amend to meet your own particular needs.

* If you can’t figure out a way to simply modify something you don’t like... then consider adding an accessory that will do the thing you want. And if the item doesn’t yet exist on the market... then consider designing it yourself, or enlisting the help of others to do it for you.

Bottom line... LOVE your Wing! Don’t spend your time & energy bitchin & whining about what you wish it was. Instead, enjoy it for what it is. It’ll make your ownership and the time you spend browsing this forum much more enjoyable.

Ok… that's it. Flame suit on. Ride safe, and have fun!! :)

See less See more
#27 ·
Sounds like you are apologizing for the Goldwing. Wow.
Not to sound too testy, but I actually think he was appologizing for you.

The bike is what it is. Before I bought mine I rode them, rented BMWs and Harleys, and read EVERY road test and review in existence. I also read this and other forums to see what problems were commonly reported, and what gripes people had. When I bought mine, I knew what to expect and was not disappointed. I added the luggage rack, CB, HONDSP, Fogs, Full Race Tech suspension - and other stuff I've forgotten to make it do what I want. It's one of the great things about the bike - you can make it yours.

The OPs post was excellent! I don't agree with everything and it doesn't matter in the least. If you do your homework before you buy, there won't be many surprises.

GREAT POST ATCguy!!!!

#28 ·
I would imagine a company as successful as Honda listens to its customers. I would imagine someone at Honda even monitors this list! I think they'd be foolish not to. Not that that means anything will get wholy or directly changed or implemented.
The thing is that some here have myopia enough to think that the Goldwing buyer or even the US MC market is the driving force in their decision making process. Fellas, it aint. Honda sells more units and makes more money on sub 400cc bikes world wide and the EU market requirement is driving their and most other manufacturers development process. Even the bar and shield motor company has been pushing to meet the new EU requirements and buff up their styling for the overseas markets. I would bet with rising development and manufacturing costs they could drop the Goldwing completely and it wouldn't even make a ripple in their bottom line.

#29 ·
Thanks for the letter - I don't disagree with any of what you said.

I'm thankful for my trusty 'older' Wing, and also for my trusty 'older' FJR.

"Nobody's perfect, not even a perfect stranger." ~ Pretenders

#30 ·
Would it be considered inappropriate for me to say that it's not his place to apologize for others? :?:
Not at all, but it might not be totally accurate either. Is it "out of place" for anyone to let newbies understand that an on-going rant (if there's one happening) isn't the norm? Is it any more "out of place" for the "letter" that begins this thread than it is to post a list of complaints about the bike?

The problem isn't either list, it's when the list (no matter which one) is repeated frequently, and done so as if the "list" is universal and/or obvious to all (or should be).

#31 ·
The thing is that some here have myopia enough to think that the Goldwing buyer or even the US MC market is the driving force in their decision making process. Fellas, it aint. Honda sells more units and makes more money on sub 400cc bikes world wide and the EU market requirement is driving their and most other manufacturers development process. Even the bar and shield motor company has been pushing to meet the new EU requirements and buff up their styling for the overseas markets. I would bet with rising development and manufacturing costs they could drop the Goldwing completely and it wouldn't even make a ripple in their bottom line.

This could be the most correct statement to appear on this forum in the past 6 months

#32 ·
You missed a couple important points. Americans are no longer assembling these bikes. Many US vendors are no longer supplying parts. For those 2 reason, there will be no more Wings for me!
Do you apply this standard in everything you need/buy?? Very time consuming and limiting isn't it?

#33 ·
The BMW K1600 GTL has taken the Top Award in the touring class for the last three years.
Honda will worry about this when it starts to take top sales in the class. Until then, it's just a bunch of sport bike magazine editors who will always give the award to the highest performance touring bike.

It's not just the touring class either. Last year Cycle World gave the best cruiser to the Ducati Diavel. Their bias is towards performance and if you value performance above most everything else, you will like their "top rated" bikes. If you like other things more on the asthetic and comfort side, you may or may not agree with the magazine guys.

By the way...I love the performance stuff and do wish Honda would add more to the wing as stock but I'm under no illusion that the other "luxury" touring bikes are even close to as comfortable for 2up touring as a wing. It truly has no peer for 2Up luxury touring. Some will give it a run at 1Up, but no bike is even close 2Up IMO. I think Honda knows this and will do very little to change the wing until it starts losing significant market share.

#36 ·
ATC Guy,

Thanks or sharing your point of view.

Well taken here and I agree with you!

Hope that you did not want to evade controversy though. If someone says "White" on this board, someone down the line will cry foul and shout out "Black".

Nature of the beast I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to write and share your thoughts.

Bulldog

#38 ·
A loyal gold winger

Reading your article spurred me to action. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Washington DC with my wife. The comments brought me to remember why I bought my first wing. I gave her the choice of several bikes and she " chose" the wing. Now going from Calgary to DC (I realize again why I have a wing. In her and my opinion it is the most comfortable and the best for two up riding. Having said that and knowing that there are more technologically advanced bikes, more powerful bikes and perhaps better looking bikes, nobody can find a better bike for two up riding period.

Over the 11years I've had wings I have sometimes become complacent about my wing and me and the boys have switched around bikes for a day. I have always got back on my bike at the end of the day feeling that my big old bulky wing is a really nice bike. Added to that I always get a response of how nice the wing is and how easy it is to ride. After completing 5000 km on my wing with my wife on the back I know this is the bike for me.

Thanks for an excellent article. The only think I could add is with your dealer, cultivate and stroke him and his staff. I am amazed at the backflips he has done for me. I recognize that at times I can get things cheaper over the net but he more than makes up for it with the various things he has done for me

You will get no bitching from me about my wing or mother Honda

milt

#40 ·
I sure hope #9 is not true. I think it is absolutely ludicrous to think that a manufacturer should not and does not listen to what their owners want going forward. If that were true, why wouldn't they still be making the original GL1000? Do you really believe that all the upgrades over the years were not at least partially in response to what customers wanted?

BTW, I own a 2012 Acura (Honda) TL. The car took a severe beating for it's awkward styling in 2010/2011. When the changes where made to the 2012 they opening admitted that they had made mistakes that the market place did not accept. Saying that they have all the customers they want with the current Goldwing is the sort of thinking that got General Motors in trouble 30 years ago.

#44 ·
Reading your article spurred me to action. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Washington DC with my wife. The comments brought me to remember why I bought my first wing. I gave her the choice of several bikes and she " chose" the wing. Now going from Calgary to DC (I realize again why I have a wing. In her and my opinion it is the most comfortable and the best for two up riding. Having said that and knowing that there are more technologically advanced bikes, more powerful bikes and perhaps better looking bikes, nobody can find a better bike for two up riding period...
And here's what I think some of the chronic B&Mers don't understand (B&Mers is my cleaned up term for those that b & moan about something). It's one thing to casually mention some of the defeciencies of a product. It's quite another to continually harp on them (face it, some here do...). The complaints of the chronic B&Mers will eventually get to enough of the "other folks" that they will respond with their high praise of the product.

Now, I disagree (respectfully) with the OP. I don't doubt for a minute that Honda has someone reading these threads. So, waddaya think it means to them when they see the same 5 or 6 people complain about the same issues as if Honda is going to go out of business over the "faults" of the Goldwing, and then they're followed up with dozens of people singing it's praises.

I suspect there's some Honda croney out there right now going "Hi, we steel got it wight"

#45 ·
You missed a couple important points. Americans are no longer assembling these bikes. Many US vendors are no longer supplying parts. For those 2 reason, there will be no more Wings for me!
I bought my 2012 Japanese Gold Wing from a dealer I have worked with for nearly 20 years. He and his crew are the best in the business and I will continue to support them. I really don't care much about a bunch of other people I don't know and could very well be a bunch of a-holes. Barry

#46 ·
I sure hope #9 is not true. I think it is absolutely ludicrous to think that a manufacturer should not and does not listen to what their owners want going forward. If that were true, why wouldn't they still be making the original GL1000? Do you really believe that all the upgrades over the years were not at least partially in response to what customers wanted?
Wow...

Have been gone most of the day, and just finished reading the responses. I think I mentioned that not everyone would agree with me. ;)

I did want to try and clear up one thing that I think was possibly misinterpreted... not only by jjsC6 who I quoted above, but some others too... and that has to do with what I said about Honda and the feedback it receives.

To go back, I said...

"This brings me to the various posts, polls, and other grumblings you’ll see on this board occasionally. Let me try to save you some heartache & time right off the bat: HONDA DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK SHOULD BE ADDED - OFFERED - CHANGED - MODIFIED - and/or REMOVED FROM FUTURE MODEL GOLD WINGS. Period. Sure, ok... if it makes you feel better to vent, rant, rave and commiserate with your fellow owners here on the board about why Honda did this, or why they don’t do that... then go right ahead. But if you think Honda gives 2 hoots in hell about what you or others on this board type, you’re living in fantasy world..."

To be clear... the last sentence in that paragraph was intended to be 'meat' of #9. I meant that Honda does not care what you type on this board. This board (and others like it) is not where they do their market research. Someone else mentioned that they believe Honda has someone reading these boards, and I respectfully disagree. I was told such directly by Honda's director of north american sales when I had the opportunity to speak with him less than 2 years ago.

That said... they do perform targeted market surveys from time to time. Many of you on this board have posted that you've received survey materials from Honda (or their contracted research firm), and have responded. THAT is how they get feedback.. not by the ravings, rants, gripes, and polls posted on this board. Which is why I also said... if it makes you feel better to vent... then go ahead. It's said that misery loves company. But Honda hires firms who specialize in getting the exact information they want... collected & organized into a manner they can use. They do not have employees sitting around an office in their California headquarters sifting through these boards to find out what you wish were different, or what you want added to the next generation Gold Wing.

So yes... Honda does care what we owners think. But they do not care what we express on this board.

#47 ·
Love my wing and would change absolutely nothing...hence, no added bling to speak of except grips and pegs that wore out.

#48 ·

Exactly!

I always laugh when I hear someone refer to the Goldwing as "Honda's Flagship".
The truth is, this little guy does more to qualify as a flagship model than the Goldwing.

Not only is it Honda's #1 seller world wide, but if not mistaken it is the top selling motorcycle of any brand!

But it doesn't fit the American market well, and does't look good on that big billboard along I35 or I70.

#50 ·
Wow...

Have been gone most of the day, and just finished reading the responses. I think I mentioned that not everyone would agree with me. ;)

I did want to try and clear up one thing that I think was possibly misinterpreted... not only by jjsC6 who I quoted above, but some others too... and that has to do with what I said about Honda and the feedback it receives.

To go back, I said...
"This brings me to the various posts, polls, and other grumblings you’ll see on this board occasionally. Let me try to save you some heartache & time right off the bat: HONDA DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK SHOULD BE ADDED - OFFERED - CHANGED - MODIFIED - and/or REMOVED FROM FUTURE MODEL GOLD WINGS. Period. Sure, ok... if it makes you feel better to vent, rant, rave and commiserate with your fellow owners here on the board about why Honda did this, or why they don’t do that... then go right ahead. But if you think Honda gives 2 hoots in hell about what you or others on this board type, you’re living in fantasy world..."

To be clear... the last sentence in that paragraph was intended to be 'meat' of #9. I meant that Honda does not care what you type on this board. This board (and others like it) is not where they do their market research. Someone else mentioned that they believe Honda has someone reading these boards, and I respectfully disagree. I was told such directly by Honda's director of north american sales when I had the opportunity to speak with him less than 2 years ago.

That said... they do perform targeted market surveys from time to time. Many of you on this board have posted that you've received survey materials from Honda (or their contracted research firm), and have responded. THAT is how they get feedback.. not by the ravings, rants, gripes, and polls posted on this board. Which is why I also said... if it makes you feel better to vent... then go ahead. It's said that misery loves company. But Honda hires firms who specialize in getting the exact information they want... collected & organized into a manner they can use. They do not have employees sitting around an office in their California headquarters sifting through these boards to find out what you wish were different, or what you want added to the next generation Gold Wing.

So yes... Honda does care what we owners think. But they do not care what we express on this board.
Thanks for clarifying - and I apologize for misunderstanding your meaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.