Maryville TN Area
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maryville TN Area

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maryville TN Area

The wife and I both ride cycles and are looking at relocating someplace in TN in about 3 years, maybe less. I have relation in Cleveland TN and we did find some nice areas close to them but the area around Maryville looked real nice for motorcycle rides and Lake Tellico looked like a nice spot for the once and awhile day on the water.

We tend to do day or long weekend trips on bikes and it appeared that it would be a long time before you run out of locations to head for, with the Carolina's out your back door as well.

Age wise I will be 53 and the wife will be 51 so she will have to work a little but hopefully we would have plenty of riding time and much nicer weather than up north. Any input on the area form the TN people?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Maryville seems like a nice area, I ride through there sometimes and your right East TN is as close to motorcycle paradise as it gets, lots of great riding, I live 30 miles north of Ktown and the riding never gets old and then there's always the 2 or 3 trips a year we do on the Blue Ridge Parkway, only about 2 Hrs. away for me, and we rode all the way into December last year. Hope your move goes well and welcome to Tennessee.

ROLL TIDE
    If i have to be back at a set time I AIN'T going!
    Former ride 2005 VTX 1300R
    Current ride 2001 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    Roadsmith Trike conversion 2013
    Dark Side #1012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-jVukP5g3w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paLJ6MJXaU4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CzJGtUBr7M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3TXBTcsGFE

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong either way. Maryville area is more "pricy" than Cleveland and the choice of lakes is about the same (about 3 for each) Riding places, North Ga.,Ocoee, Blue Ridge Pky, Asheville all within day rides, Boone NC 348 miles from Cleveland thru Cherokee and the Pky. and last, the beach at Panama City FL is only 450 miles away (just a day ride) With some heated clothes you can ride ALL winter which is great NO BUGS!

Good Luck
    05 "yellow" Lehman Trike
    96 "white" Leaman Trike

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We visit that area a few times a year because we have friends that live there. One is a building contractor if you happen to need one!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a place in outside of Madisonville. Not much there. Its actually closer to Maryville but traffic wise, better to go to Athens. Athens has all I will ever need.
    I am 6 miles from the TN end of the Cherohla Parkway.
    Mike Jackman
    New Port Richey FL/Madisonville TN
    IBA 433
    Avatar courtesy of http://www.mylocalridingarea.com/

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We actually prefer to build so I may need to locate a builder. I say may as the relative in Cleveland will build for us even as far away as Maryville if he can survive the current economy. I know he is hoping for things to pick up with VW and Wacker moving to the area.

I like the sounds of nearly year around riding we sure are not likely to have that here in WI.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Grew up in Knoxville. Anywhere in the metro area would be nice. Maryville, Oak Ridge, Athens, Halls Cross Roads area.
    2008 Pearl White GL1800 Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS
    AMA Member
    "Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
    "Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense."

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oakridge would be a great spot if you like riding atv/utv's. You have Coal Creek, Royal Blue and Sundquist. We will be at Coal Creek for Thanksgiving!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We moved to Townsend Tn. from Okeechobee Fl. in April 08 and have never regretted it. Townsend is 15 miles east of Maryville and thats where we do our shopping,out to eat, medical needs entertainment and so on.
    If you like country music, Maryville host the Foothills Fall Festival every Oct. with lots of top performers. There is always something going on. The people are the most freindly that you will find anywhere.
    In the last 2 years we have ridden alot of miles over this country, East & West and don't think you can find any place better to ride.
    If I can help anyway, just send me a pm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ride every day
    Darkside #260
    Full Monty Traxxionized
    Okeefjr

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The feed back is great, we do ride and own a ATV as well as the Motorcycles and if there was use for them would like another ATV or UTV. I did ask my cousin about ATV use in TN but since he does not have one he did not know anything about them. Our kids are sort of grown up now so the new ATV we bought last winter is mainly used for plowing snow and hauling a little firewood around.

Townsend, Oakridge and other areas out of the big city, but still close by are appealing, we currently have 2 1/3 ac. with some woods and a year around creek on it and only 7 miles into the city, if we want.

We do love country music and I just learned about the fall festival as it was happening down there. It sounds like something to look forward to each year.
    Last edited by Stone; 11-12-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any of those areas mentioned are good. I really like Townsend myself but Oak Ridge or the Clinton areas are good. You will never get all the roads ridden even though you can ride year-round here. There is good riding in any direction you go from the Knoxville area.
    Steve Thomas
    DS#664

Post Thanks / Like

I moved here from Chicago to Powell. Myself I don't like Oak Ride for a number of reasons. But that's just me. I'm very happy here in Powell. It's close enough without being to close.

Burt

Post Thanks / Like

Please remember that Oak Ridge is not a southern city. It may be in the South geographically, but politically and ideologically it is not in Dixie. And, it is rapidly turning into a retirement community. I have worked there (21 years at ORNL), worshiped there (30 years), and lived there (the first year I was in Tennessee). Our oldest daughter and her family still live there.
    Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    LIMNCS #632 DS#1085 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP #19
    Trialsman Seminar Videos
    Swapping the Rear Wheel by Laying Her Down (youtube)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.