GL1800Riders Forums banner

Edelweiss Motorcycle Tours?

4K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Cruiseman 
#1 ·
Had the privilege of attending a hour and a half presentation that occurred two nights ago at BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta and was very impressed with what I learned. Have added a European tour to my bucket list when I retire in 2016. What better way to get back to my old stompin' grounds of Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Anybody have any experience with these guys? Would love to hear your opinions. I'm looking at doing the 4 or 5 countries that involve the Alps. Haven't decided on a length yet but have decided on a BMW. GS for sure.

#4 ·
One of my wife's co-workers and her husband who is a long time rider took one of the European motorcycle tours this summer. I believe it was the one mentioned here. They raved about it and said they plan to take another one. The tour company has apparently been in business for many years and is professional and reliable. I looked at the website and iirc, they paid about $7500/each for the trips.

#5 ·
One of my wife's co-workers and her husband who is a long time rider took one of the European motorcycle tours this summer. I believe it was the one mentioned here. They raved about it and said they plan to take another one. The tour company has apparently been in business for many years and is professional and reliable. I looked at the website and iirc, they paid about $7500/each for the trips.
With gas prices here at $8 dollars a gallon I'm not surprised they are losing business.

:eek:4:

#6 ·
I did the Alps Extreme tour in 2011.

Had an incredible trip..The riding in the Alps was amazing. This particular tour was different as we packed our stuff on our bikes and had no chase vehicle or picnic lunches. (Our suite cases etc were stored at our base hotel) The guides were excellent, had amazing riding skills and knew where every incredible out of the way roads were. This was a pretty intense ride, not really a sight seeing type, but lots and lots of riding. Everything went smoothly and I hope to do another one in a couple years.

#7 ·
I'm in Germany right now. Last weekend we went to Triberg and that area of the Black Forest is a motorcyclists dream! Saw a lot of dual sports, and a few Gl1800s.Would love to drive the autobaun on a Godwing, or GXSR!:thumbup:[/QUOTStayed in Black Forest (Steinach Baden Wurtemburg) last September, liked it so much we went there again this June, guess where we're going next year ;-) you won't want to get off your bike only to stop and take pictures, German people are very friendly and welcoming, always keen to show off their English language skills too.Goldwings were thin on the ground times we were there, lots of beemers though and Hardleys.Pretty inexpensive for us, quick channel hop on Eurotunnel an overnite stop East of Paris then blast on down autoroute to Strasbourg cross the Rhine and done.Can't wait for next June got HD bullet can to take video next time, woohoo! :)

#8 ·
I was on the same tour in 2001.
It was great, great hotels, great food and beautiful sights.
I was 60 at the time, and the guys I went with hit it pretty hard every day.
They were a lot younger than I was, and could stay up half the night and be ready the next morning like they didn't have any beer.
I had always wanted to go back, but at 71 it would be a lot of work to ride those roads every day.
We went 2 days early, and stayed an extra 2 days after the tour just to do the tourist things.
I would recommend a visit to the BMW museum in Munich for a tour. Lots of really neat stuff in there.
The only thing I didn't care for was the plane ride over there. It seems like it never ends.
I would recommend the trip to anyone.
Mike

#9 ·
No question that any of the group motorcycle tours are pricey. (Heck, just renting a full size motorcycle in most of Europe is +/-$200/day, plus fuel.**) Then add the price of airfare... it's not for the faint of wallet!

BUT, I've never heard ONE person say that they wouldn't do it again - and most say that they wished they'd done it sooner.

If it's on your bucket list, DO IT! Before it's too late.

**that $200/day is about what we spend when we travel - for lodging, food, attractions, and public transportation - for the two of us. Heck, we've done 14-16 day transatlantic cruises that cost less. Just gotta decide what you want to do, and DO IT.

#10 ·
Tours

If you got the bucks and don't have time to learn how to travel the EU. They also do alps training tours.

"I" just rented direct from the MC rental company out of Munich. HD rentals out of Trier. No plans, just load up and go. We made a point of stopping at any Burg or Stat by about 3PM, find a local Mom and Pop run "Pension" and enjoying the evening. Ready to go again early after Morning Eating at the Pension.

We also stopped at campgrounds with no camping gear - they provided.

That said, Its a kick in the pants....

For longer trip planning see Horizons Unlimited or Bob and Kathys www.bobkatsjaunt.com

#12 ·
Yes... I took the High Alpine Tour in 2011. Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, back into Austria, and then back into Germany. Did the Grossglockner, Passo de Stelvio, and numerous other passes. Great food, great accommodations, great scenery, and GREAT FUN!!

I went with a group of friends connected with the Backroads Motorcycle Touring Magazine rallies, and rode a BMW R1200GS while I was there.

Here's a link to a couple of hundred photos for you to see if you'd like. They're on Facebook, but you don't need a Facebook account to view them.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2215817003226.133173.1481629164&type=1&l=6f34e966f5

#13 ·
Edelweiss Motorcycle Tours

Excellent comments from all who responded. I think I may I plan on doing the High Alpine Tour. I still remember the beautiful scenery from my time years ago when I was stationed in Italy and we'd take 4 day passes and go to Germany and drive through Austria on the way up and Switzerland on the rebound. Now I've got two years to find an inexpensive flight.

#14 ·
GF and I did the Alps 2 up. Top notch operation. Highly recommended!

#15 ·
Done Europe tours

We have done (2) two week tours thru Italy (Tuscany the 1st time & Alps and Appenines the 2nd time) on our own. You can do it a lot less expensive using your own adventureous self to do the planning. We rented BMW bikes (GS 1150 riding double up the 2nd time and an RT 1100 the first time) in Milan and stayed in local B&B's during the entire trip. Neither of us speak Italian but found it possible to communicate with little problem. Rode Stelvio Pass, Brenner Pass and many of the other passes. Also ventured into Switzerland, Germany. Adventure on your own, it's a lot more fun dealing with the local people than having some tour company do all the planning.

For example, our first trip to Tuscany, we stayed in a centuries old monastery with rope beds (that monks slept on) and had the hosts prepare us a local style meal family style each night when we returned. We stayed there for 10 nights always radiating out from there each day. Sienna, Lucca, Montepuciano, Venice, Lake Garda, and many other small towns were easy to visit in one day sojourns from our hilltop B&B. The ancient chapel bells would ring as we were coming up the lane thru the vineyard as we came home each night. After our evening feast (no other way to describe it) we would retire to an outside table and drink the wine that we had purchased during the day. Drinking the Espresso in the morning woke us up in the morning with a jolt of pure adrenaline straight into our veins. We rode "wide eyed and bushy tailed" all day. My wife was an excellent navigator and having our own intercom for our helmets was priceless for discussing what we saw and figuring out the roads and signs.

There is soooo much to see that having someone else plan your trip (Edelweiss) unless your motive is to race thru the countryside, just doesn't sound like the way I would want to see Italy.

#16 ·
We have done 2 two week tours thru Italy (Tuscany the 1st time & Alps 2nd time) on our own. You can do it a lot less expensive using your own adventureous self to do the planning. Rented BMW bikes in Milan and stayed in local B&B's during the entire trip. Neither of us speak Italian but found it possible to communicate with little problem. Rode Stelvio Pass, Brenner Pass and many of the other passes. Also ventured into Switzerland, Germany. Adventure on your own, it's a lot more fun dealing with the local people than having some tour company do all the planning.
I agree 100% with the concept. However, some folks just are not "comfortable" in a foreign land on their own. Heck, some folks can't face the stress of leaving their home without being heavily armed!

Though we haven't ridden in Europe, we've traveled in 20+ countries and never experienced anything worse than persistent souvenir vendors in Cairo, traffic in Istanbul, attempted pickpockets in the subway in Barcelona, and the constant jaw dropping beauty of natural scenery and ancient cultures that made us want to plan our next trip before we even got home.

Whether your planning to do an Edelweiss group tour or an independent adventure, may I offer a couple tips:

*Pack light. Anything that you don't take and then wish you had, you can buy there!

*"When in Rome, do as the Romans!" Make a conscious effort to 'go with the flow' of the local cultures. Instead of being a spectator, be a participant. Enjoy it for what it is, not what you expect it to be.**

*Stay longer! Many of us are retired, some not. But the cost of flying, and the wear & tear on your body will help you decide to combine two vacations. So if you are planning a 10-day motorcycle adventure, make it a 20-day trip! Public transportation in Europe is efficient, runs on time, and won't break the bank.
So if you are planning a motorcycle adventure that begins & ends in Munich, book your round trip flight to Rome, Frankfurt, Barcelona, Berlin, London, Copenhagen, Athens... And spend time before/after the Munich portion. You'll Never Be Sorry!
(My bride and I figure that we can travel on our own, stay at 2 & 3 star 'smaller' hotels or Pensions, eat, use public transportation and spend $200/day. So an extra ten days costs LESS than the airline tickets for a second trip.)

Always remember: "We may never pass this way again."

**an example: This spring we took my sister & BIL along on a trip. We were eating at an outside table at a restaurant in Venice. My sister was upset that she had to ASK for butter for her bread! When I pointed out that the locals eat bread with olive oil and/or balsamic vinegar, she said "but I LIKE butter on my bread!"
Pam, dear... You are in freaking Venice! Your eyes are taking in amazing art & architecture, your ears are hearing music and the voices of the gondola men, your feet are walking on streets that folks traveled before there was even the IDEA of America! Let your taste buds participate in something different!
She did.

Go ahead and drink the tap water - it's safe!

#17 ·
Edelweiss Motorcycle Tours have been around a while; very good, no bad comments.

This is another way to do Europe
http://www.bobkatsjaunt.com/

Wanna go south, follow these Lightcycle and Neda; the pictures are over the top
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ride-tales/finally-did-jobs-quitted-home-65590

Wife and I in the Carib with friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgEuNRx75LQ

If you want to travel and you have questions, visit
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/
you can find someone on that site that has been where you want to go no matter where that is.

#18 ·
Sorry I missed the presentation in Atlanta with Elderweiss Tour group. I was willing to do the four hour round trip drive but had a meeting I could not cancel.
I am getting ready to book the Germany tour with Elderweiss in June 2014. I was hoping that some people in the Atlanta area would be interested in getting a group up to travel on one of Elderweiss tours. Did anyone attending the presentation show any interest in booking a tour?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.