Thread: J&M Digital Music Player

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default J&M Digital Music Player

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

They have been discussed here before. I have a regular one that i plug into the left pouch. I am going to get an xm radio in the near future and i feel it will make the others obsolete. If your not going to get a satellite radio , then it sounds like a good investment to me.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

satilite was good, now to many dam commercials! We are going backwards like the "commercial free tv cable"!

Post Thanks / Like

Go to bikemp3.com and get the same thing from Pete for $99.00. Have one, greatest thing I have put on the wing so far.
    GWRRA ALABAMA "D"
    modelcitywings.com
    DDS # 774
    Michelin Alpin 195/55/16
    BT 45

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" John 15:13

Thank you, all that serve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raw2210 View Post
    Yes.

Here's another discussion about it.
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230098
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Forum Members ,,,,,

Please understand that when we first purchased and offered these J&M Digital music players for sale ,,, I wanted to keep things simple ,,,,,,, SIMPLE ,,,,,,,

And so I just put up to 999 songs on an SD card, slide it into my Wing and away I go ((display on the dash stops at 99 tracks)) ,,,,,,,, and it just plays and plays without a lot of fiddling or worrying about folders, root files, playlists etc ,,,,,,, WHAT A DREAM ,,,,,,, for ME anyway ,,,,,,

BUT ,,, as you can imagine, some folks like it more complicated than that ,,, or with more features ,,,,,,,,,

SSoooooooo ,,, we are revising the portion of the manual that deals with how to load the SD card and also the USB stick, with folders so that you can store up to 99 songs, in each of 6 different folders and toggle thru the folders ((CD 1-6)) and tracks with the toggle switch on the handlebars ,,,,,, and then all display read-outs are correct ,,,,

Give us a week or two to accomplish this re-write and then I will be able to send one to anyone who wants one by e-mail, an updated version of the manual ,,,,,,,

ALSO ,,, the J&M unit is NOT identical to the one from BikeMP3 ,,,, and to say that J&M did NO R&D on this project is flat wrong ,,,,,

,,,, we made sure that the J&M unit worked flawlessly and it DOES, we figured out how to integrate it with the 2009-2010 Wings for those who also want to use the XM radio feature ,,,, and made sure that everything needed for an easy plug and play installation,,, was in the package, along with easy to understand installation instructions ,,,,,

I have no problem with anyone purchasing the bikeMP3 unit if that is what you want ,,, but if you look at what is included with the J&M unit and how well the J&M unit works, without really any known operational issues, I think the J&M unit is a very good value ,,,,,

WITH the same two year warranty we give all J&M products ,,,,,

Happy holidays to everyone here at gl1800riders.com ,,,,,,,,,,
    JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,, www.jmcorp.com ,,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John. Would you mind posting the manual revision on your website? That would help. BTW....no problems so far with mine. Seems to be doing ok. I admit to some limited use at this point, but with just some day trips on it, it seems to be performing well.

Steve
    Steve Coffman
    Dallas Firefighter
    MSF Ridercoach

Lightsider - citation #TX123X0IWO0004
    Our motto: "Bright Lights Not Loud Pipes Save Lives"

If you love your bike, set it free...
    If it comes back to you, you've probably high-sided!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scoffman ,,,,,

not a problem ,,,,, as soon as the updated J&M manual is available, I will post this info here ,,,,

Happy Holidays ,,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

There is an easy way to proof its different then all others
    Open them and show it..............its that simple
    1960 model blond
    2009 GL1800 XM yellow (the fastest)
    2004 1800 blackcherry + freewheel trailer

1994 SE1500 blue +squire trailer
    1984 GL1100 brown

Seasoned Member Cabernet Red 06's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll get mine under the tree tomorow morning !!...but, the bike is stored for the winter so I'll be waiting til spring to try mine out...Happy Holidays !!

Scott
    2006 Cabernet Red

Post Thanks / Like

I want one......................if shipping is free to europe.......
    1960 model blond
    2009 GL1800 XM yellow (the fastest)
    2004 1800 blackcherry + freewheel trailer

1994 SE1500 blue +squire trailer
    1984 GL1100 brown

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New ,,,, Updated manual now available for the J&M Digital MP3 music player ,,, part# JMDM-GL18 ((new price also effective 01-06/2010))

the new pages added deal with how to load the SD card and also the USB thumb-drive by simple method OR the more advanced multiple folder creation method within the original root folder ,,,

This allows you to load up to 8 additional folders, plus the root, ((total of 9)) with 99 tracks per folder ,,,, ((some of the older GL-1800s will only play 54 or 87 tracks within each folder)) Folders then display as CD-1 thru CD-9 ,,,,,

to obtain your .pdf copy of the new J&M Digital Music Player installation/operation manual, send your e-mail request to john@jmcorp.com ,,,,

Thanks to all of you for your patience ,,,,

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

,,,,, competetive new price also for the J&M Digital Music player ,,,

,,,,,,,,, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MDM-GL18&PF=32 ,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnjmcorp View Post
    ,,,,, competetive new price also for the J&M Digital Music player ,,,

,,,,,,,,, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MDM-GL18&PF=32 ,,,,
    Now you tell me.............

2006 GL1800 ( Ours )
    2007 DL650 ABS ( she thinks it's hers, but it's MINE )
    2004 DR200SE ( Hers )
    2001 VLX 600 ( retired )
    1991 250L XR (Hers)
    1983 250R XL ( His )
    1974 CB360 ( retired )
    2000 4 X 4 Rancher ( Hers)
    2000 4 X 4 Rancher ( His )
    All from the same people who brought to you
    " Pearl Harbor"

AMA Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    Navy Veteran

Post Thanks / Like

Default power source?

Does the J&M unit have it's own power source or is it powered on by the MC key. I want to know if I have to open the trunk and turn this thing on and off every time I want to use it. Does it shutoff by itself...does it have it's own battery???
    new to the stable.....wings big brother

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jetdok5 View Post
    Does the J&M unit have it's own power source or is it powered on by the MC key. I want to know if I have to open the trunk and turn this thing on and off every time I want to use it. Does it shutoff by itself...does it have it's own battery???
    It comes on with the key.

2006 GL1800 ( Ours )
    2004 DR200SE ( Hers )
    2001 VLX 600 ( retired )
    1991 250L XR (Hers)
    1983 250R XL ( His )
    1974 CB360 ( retired )
    " Pearl Harbor"

AMA Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    Navy Veteran

Post Thanks / Like

Default J&M Digital Music Player (JMDM-GL18)

In the last several weeks I put together a product review of the J&M JMDM-GL18 Digital Music Player-Changer Virtual CD Player. I call it "virtual" because it emulates the functions of the Honda CD player. So far I've been pleased with it's performance. The review is posted on my DSL web site:

http://www.k7tty.com/motorcycle/virtualcdplayersoftware.htm

The biggest challenge with the JMDM-GL18 digital music player is to populate an SD memory card or USB thumb drive with music, given that it plays the music in the order that they are loaded. With a large selection of music to choose from, I found it challenging to (1) choose songs, (2) organize them into each of the 10 CDs, (3) randomize the order they play in and (4) make sure there were only 99 songs per CD. Heres a link to some lessons learned and helpful hints for using the software:

http://www.k7tty.com/motorcycle/virtualcdplayerhints.htm

Instructional video showing software basics
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OO1lvh_r4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OO1lvh_r4[/ame]
    Last edited by k7tty; 06-19-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: The old IP address of 207.207.72.42 has been replaced by http://www.k7tty.com

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very interested in your software, not because its not something I can't do manually, but that takes a lot of time out of the process...very nice!
    2008 GL1800, Prem Audio
    1997 Kwik Kamp
    Darksider #403 (Dunlop Wintersport 175/60R16)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k7tty View Post
    In the last several weeks I put together a product review of the J&M JMDM-GL18 Digital Music Player-Changer Virtual CD Player. I call it "virtual" because it emulates the functions of the Honda CD player. So far I've been pleased with it's performance. The review is posted on my DSL web site:

http://207.207.72.42 ( http://207-207-72-42.ip.theriver.com )

The biggest challenge with the JMDM-GL18 digital music player is to populate an SD memory card or USB thumb drive with music, given that it plays the music in the order that they are loaded. With a large selection of music to choose from, I found it challenging to (1) choose songs, (2) organize them into each of the 10 CDs, (3) randomize the order they play in and (4) make sure there were only 99 songs per CD.

To solve these problems, I wrote a software application that runs under Micosoft Windows that handles all of the above. Check out my personal DSL web server and see if this is something you might be interested in. Posted on http://207.207.72.42 is a description of the software. If there is enough interest, I'll look into making it available. I've already contacted J&M and they are not interested in bundling the software with the JMDM-GL18.
    I'm interested as well!

Steve
    Steve Coffman
    Dallas Firefighter
    MSF Ridercoach

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnjmcorp
    Forum Members ,,,,,

Please understand that when we first purchased and offered these J&M Digital music players for sale ,,, I wanted to keep things simple ,,,,,,, SIMPLE ,,,,,,,

And so I just put up to 999 songs on an SD card, slide it into my Wing and away I go ((display on the dash stops at 99 tracks)) ,,,,,,,, and it just plays and plays without a lot of fiddling or worrying about folders, root files, playlists etc ,,,,,,, WHAT A DREAM ,,,,,,, for ME anyway ,,,,,,

BUT ,,, as you can imagine, some folks like it more complicated than that ,,, or with more features ,,,,,,,,,

SSoooooooo ,,, we are revising the portion of the manual that deals with how to load the SD card and also the USB stick, with folders so that you can store up to 99 songs, in each of 6 different folders and toggle thru the folders ((CD 1-6)) and tracks with the toggle switch on the handlebars ,,,,,, and then all display read-outs are correct ,,,,

Give us a week or two to accomplish this re-write and then I will be able to send one to anyone who wants one by e-mail, an updated version of the manual ,,,,,,

Also, in case anyone cares, the lengthy response that J&M provided on dec 23rd is a canned copy and paste response...John L (JM Corp) emailed me that same response with the same bad punctuations and capitalizations. I don't know who he thinks his intended audience is when he writes things like that, but when I received that email as a reply to questions about how to do folders, I felt like he was talking down to me and I was definitely offended, and will likely never buy something from J&M because of my experience with John (I was emailing as I was helping a friend install and setup his newly purchased unit)....I'll be going to pedro/BikeMP3 for all such products from now on; at least I know he and his crew have a better handle on their products before they start selling them.
    2008 GL1800, Prem Audio
    1997 Kwik Kamp

Post Thanks / Like

in the last several weeks i put together a product review of the j&m jmdm-gl18 digital music player-changer virtual cd player. I call it "virtual" because it emulates the functions of the honda cd player. So far i've been pleased with it's performance. The review is posted on my dsl web site:

http://207.207.72.42 ( http://207-207-72-42.ip.theriver.com )

the biggest challenge with the jmdm-gl18 digital music player is to populate an sd memory card or usb thumb drive with music, given that it plays the music in the order that they are loaded. With a large selection of music to choose from, i found it challenging to (1) choose songs, (2) organize them into each of the 10 cds, (3) randomize the order they play in and (4) make sure there were only 99 songs per cd.

To solve these problems, i wrote a software application that runs under micosoft windows that handles all of the above. Check out my personal dsl web server and see if this is something you might be interested in. Posted on http://207.207.72.42 is a description of the software. If there is enough interest, i'll look into making it available. I've already contacted j&m and they are not interested in bundling the software with the jmdm-gl18.
    i am very interested in what you have put together is takes a lot of time to load the songs the way you want them

Post Thanks / Like

<...>The biggest challenge with the JMDM-GL18 digital music player is to populate an SD memory card or USB thumb drive with music, given that it plays the music in the order that they are loaded. <...>

To solve these problems, I wrote a software application that runs under Micosoft Windows that handles all of the above. Check out my personal DSL web server and see if this is something you might be interested in. Posted on http://207.207.72.42 is a description of the software.
    Add another one to the interested list!!

However...the J&M unit as well as the V1 unit for the BikeMP3 player uses the 'file touch' time stamp for the playback order. V2 uses the file name for the playback order. You might consider having the capability of adding two digits to the file name, in order to randomize for the V2 unit.

It looks great - please let us know when it can be made available!

● DS #512 ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Search Problems? Try this with Google: <search term> site:gl1800riders.com

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

gareva ,,,,,

my intended audience is all Gold Wing Riders ,,,, and my response to you was a personal response, that I had written before and THEN cut and pasted it for you, this saves me from having to write responses from scratch each time I need to send one ! ,,,,,,

I apologize if this offended you ,,,,,

my e-mail writing style is not intended for formal government bureaucratic types, but to simply communicate in an individual and personal manner ,,,,

as president of J&M, I am here to help you anytime you need it ,,,,

best regards ,,,,
    gareva ,,,,,

my intended audience is all Gold Wing Riders ,,,, and my response to you was a personal response, that I had written before and THEN cut and pasted it for you, so I donít have to write it from scratch each time I send it ! ,,,,,,

my e-mail writing style is not intended for formal government bureaucratic types, but to simply get across my messages in an individual and personal manner ,,,,

best regards ,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

gareva ,,,,,

my intended audience is all Gold Wing Riders ,,,, and my response to you was a personal response, that I had written before and THEN cut and pasted it for you, this saves me from having to write responses from scratch each time I need to send one ! ,,,,,,

my e-mail writing style is not intended for formal government bureaucratic types, but to simply communicate in an individual and personal manner ,,,,

best regards ,,,,
    gareva ,,,,,

my intended audience is all Gold Wing Riders ,,,, and my response to you was a personal response, that I had written before and THEN cut and pasted it for you, so I donít have to write it from scratch each time I send it ! ,,,,,,

my e-mail writing style is not intended for formal government bureaucratic types, but to simply get across my messages in an individual and personal manner ,,,,

best regards ,,,,

You sir need to think out you thoughts because he is not the only one you have made mad. I have sent you e-mails to be shut down and short answered your lose there are other business people to deal with Thanks for nothing J&M.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

gareva ,,,,,

best regards ,,,,
    gareva ,,,,,

best regards ,,,,

Really John...what a crock. I mean, you wrote your message twice here, which unless you are a glutton for punishment, means you pasted this last message here instead of writing it off the cuff...which is really strange.

No formal gov't type here, but I do believe in coherent logical writing regardless of where and to whom your email is going.

and my response to you was a personal response, that I had written before and THEN cut and pasted it for you, so I donít have to write it from scratch each time I send it !
    This, by its very definition, is no longer a PERSONAL response...it is a canned response.

... <---- see these dots? When used in series like this is referred to as an ellipsis, and its what you seem to be doing with those commas. Just a little farther stretch to the right from that comma and you'll be good as gold.

Your response only pi$$ed me off more. You've got a lot to learn about interfacing with and servicing the customer now that you aren't the only shop in town people have heard of.

Good luck John, you're gonna need it!
    2008 GL1800, Prem Audio
    1997 Kwik Kamp

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help but post this, my experience with J & M: Months ago I had a problem with an electronic device which I bought from ( blank ) motorcycle electronics company. Well, by MISTAKE I called J & M and was asking how to work my new device and some typical installation questions. I came to realize that it wasn't J & M that I bought my device from. Talk about being embarrassed!!! Well, to my surprise J & M didn't call me a fool and hang up on me but instead helped me with someone elses product. They were kind and helpful to me. I'm sure if we polled hundreds of people and asked about someones reputation we would hear all " the good,the bad and the ugly ". But I just wanted to say that I experienced " the good " with J & M. Every product I bought from them has worked flawlessly and I always received great service from them.
    Last edited by ElBando; 02-01-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

2006 GL1800 ( Ours )
    2004 DR200SE ( Hers )
    2001 VLX 600 ( retired )
    1991 250L XR (Hers)
    1983 250R XL ( His )
    1974 CB360 ( retired )
    " Pearl Harbor"

AMA Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    Navy Veteran

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

gareva ,,,,,

my god man, get real !! ,,,, how many more times are you going to needlessly insult me ? ,,,,

I wrote that response above over on a word document because I have not taken the time to learn how to use the spell checker here on gl1800riders.com ,,,,,

then I pasted it twice just to give you some "raspberries" ,,,,

I am an old fat man now with a sometimes twisted sense of humor ,, how about YOU ? ,,,,

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

then I pasted it twice just to give you some "raspberries" ,,,,

I am an old fat man now with a sometimes twisted sense of humor ,, how about YOU ? ,,,,
    my god man, get real !! ,,,, how many more times are you going to needlessly insult me ? ,,,,
    There's a saying my folks used to tell me..."get it right or go home." I think that's enough.

Twisted sense of humor, huh? When you're the only one laughing, it means it just isn't funny. I think you're the only one laughing.

Good luck John.
    2008 GL1800, Prem Audio
    1997 Kwik Kamp

Post Thanks / Like

I have found John and J&M to be extremely helpful. All of the products that I have purchased from them have been made well and have held up to a lot of abuse. The one exception I had was a crack in the side plate on my Nolan N102. I wrote John an email. He was aware of the problem and they had redesigned the plate to be stronger. He sent me two free of charge. I have had nothing but excellent results with my MP3 player. He has been more than willing to answer any of my questions as best he can. In my opinion, J&M has provided excellent customer service and I hope that they continue to develop good products for the Wing.

Steve
    Steve Coffman
    Dallas Firefighter
    MSF Ridercoach

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, all I can say is I hope your experience is the rule and mine was the exception.
    2008 GL1800, Prem Audio
    1997 Kwik Kamp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.