Too good to be true? Dyno-Boost Performance Chip for Goldwing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too good to be true? Dyno-Boost Performance Chip for Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too good to be true? Dyno-Boost Performance Chip for Goldwing

I've searched the forums for performance chips and other performance upgrades and the only thing I have seen is exhaust and some will argue that doesn't do much without a re-map of the ECM. I've always thought its too bad Power Commander or some other company hasn't come up with a plug and play unit for the Wing but maybe there isn't a high enough demand for it.
    While I was doing a little searching on ebay today I ran across this gizmo http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DYNO-...Q5fAccessories

Sounds too good to be true to me and I'm sure this could lead to some warranty issues unless it was simple enough to pull off if you had an issue.
    Anyway let's hear from the smart guys on the forum who are much more knowledgeable then I on the ECM and how it all works on the bike. Anyone think this thing has a snowballs chance in hell of gaining "+15-35 additional HP, dynamic acceleration by up to 30 %"?

Fellers let's try and keep this on topic all the performance upgrade forums I've read have been de-railed with people talking/asking why in the world you would want more performance from the wing its a touring bike, just buy a sportbike etc etc. I, for one will always want more performance out of everything I ride/fly. Whether its the Wing or a CV-22 Osprey however I also recognize performance ain't cheap and cost more then the $54.99 this product sells for.
    Bryan J.
    IBA #45364

2008 Honda Goldwing Nav/Comfort Pearl White

2007 Harley-Davidson Nightster Black

2007 Honda XR650L Big Red Pig

"Get used to being the man, and acting like it. Because when bullets start flying and s*** hits the fan, and there are 27 people whose lives you are directly responsible for looking at you and saying 'what the hell do we do now, sir?' You better be the f***ing man then."
    -Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the claims are very generic. And more fuel does not mean more power. And I believe we have more than one o2 sensor, but could be wrong. But if I were you, I'd buy it and let the rest of us know how it goes.
    Last edited by nedro; 01-26-2010 at 10:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmitch View Post
    Lets see... last time I checked, Army, Marines, and Airforce BEATS lame fat goldwing rider with a gun
    2004 GL1800AT
    2000 CBR929RR
    1987 CR500R
    1982 MB5
    1981 CB900F
    1971 CB836K1

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay.you put one on your bike first..

Post Thanks / Like

Maximum horespower is achieved through a specific air fuel ratio. If the mixture is too lean, you lose power, and the exhaust temps increase. If it's to rich, you also lose power and (depending on how rich you go) start fouling plugs, developing deposits on the valves, and clogging converters. Most manufacturers will have the air fuel mixture a touch on the rich side to be safe from the heat generated from the lean condition, so simply "tricking" the computer into thinking the intake air is cold so it will dump in more fuel (and then blocking that message from the o2 sensors) will not necessarily make more horsepower.

I also am the type of person who's looking for more powerin everything I own, even though I'm really happy with the performance of the 1800. This product, in my opinion is like many others out there that say you're gonna go fast by tricking the computer into thinking it's cold outside, thereby dumping in more fuel. I've been building horsepower for racing 1/4 mile way to long to know that it's not that easy. If you could hook the bike up to a computer and custom tune that fuel curve to maintain a specific ratio, I'd say it may be a different situation, but simply dumping in more fuel is not the answer IMHO. I'm saving my $50+ dollars on this one, but if someone puts it on their bike, let us know how it works !!!

Kurt

My Dad and I on the greatest father-son motorcycle trip ever !

Alaska Journal (click to read)

Coast to Coast Non-Stop CERTIFIED !
    Jacksonville to San Diego

2367 miles..31hours 52min
    1860 miles..24 hours
    1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815

Double Darksider #333
    Michelin Alpin
    Battlax BT45

No trailers / no rentals !

Post Thanks / Like

The chip for remapping my mini is $600+ plus a dyno run and pulley, price is so low it can't be true. The guy who did the turbo on the wing had to install a second computer and rewire it. So if it walks like a duck.....
    Phil
    2004 GL 1800A TE
    White Bathtub Retired (111,435 miles)
    2012 ABS Blue and Silver Level 3

Post Thanks / Like

Dyno-BOOST tricks the ECU thinking the intake air much more cooler, then the ECU will send more fuel for a richer mix besides if the current vehicle has oxygen sensor it blocks restrictions generated by the ECU

No thanks. I'd rather have the right mixture.
    Wayne Bengston
    Cordelia, CA
    2008 GL1800B
    2007 BMW F650GS ABS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Why in the world you would want more performance from the wing?

It's a touring bike...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

It's a touring bike...

To have a quicker touring bike? I would not mind more power, but this ain't gonna' do it.
    Wayne Bengston
    Cordelia, CA
    2008 GL1800B
    2007 BMW F650GS ABS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

It's a touring bike...
    2005 GL1800A Bright Blue Metallic
    GWBBA #58
    Darkside #527
    195/55R-16 Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP RunFlat
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be...
    -Albert Einstein

Where is Paul?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got this idea about selling cow magnets to tape around the gas line and......................Oh! Wait, we all use unleaded gas now, don't we
    There goes another million dollar maker

Post Thanks / Like

Valkyrie guys have been "tricking" the ect into thinking the coolant is cold by inserting a pot tween the temp sensor and the ECT. It advances the timing 10 up to about 3K rpm. I have not done it since I have an 6 trigger wheel installed but they swear by it. Simple "tuning" pot from Radio Shack, coupla resistors, coupla diodes. Cost it about $5. total. Valkyrie is a carburetor aspirated motor.

By tricking the wing into thinking it's cold out from the ambient temp sensor might do the trick, but I would say that the temp sensor from the coolant to the ecm might just do it. Simple pot..... I'll have to look that up....

here: http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/ect-mod.htm

Of course, where I live, you don't have to trick the bike into thinking it's cold too often. No trick, just ride.
    KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Legend in His Own Mind Teaser 1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Friend of fast, Foe of slow

Post Thanks / Like

Unit is assenbled in China and sold in Hungry. Now that's something you can trust. Run from this one.

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Post Thanks / Like

I'll wait till Fred tests it and says it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Post Thanks / Like

No way is that thing worth putting on the bike..
    Tuning is very specific and the Goldwing computer is pretty brain dead with a very limited amount of adjustment no matter how much you "fool" the sensors..
    BTW: I wouldn't argue that the Wing could use more power, just don't believe there's any way to do it without replacing the ECU with something that can be tuned.. (Next will follow stories of an air filter or an exhaust that "dramatically" increased the owner's SOP dyno by 200%... )
    '07 CBR1000RR Fireblade "NESBA #74"
    '08 Triumph Rocket III Touring (SOLD)
    Dave's '03 GL1800 Candy Orange (Sold)

Post Thanks / Like

What would really be interesting would be an aftermarket ECU with diagnostic and program port compatible with available rear/write equipment. Would that be too much like rocket science for some of you electronics whizs?

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some things I don't like about a Harley is that they are noisy, lack power, and their exhaust gases smell.

Some things I like about a Wing is that they are quite, have power, and their exhaust does not smell.

I'll bet the exhaust will smell if you install the chip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWingrGreg View Post
    Some things I don't like about a Harley is that they are noisy, lack power, and their exhaust gases smell.

Some things I like about a Wing is that they are quite, have power, and their exhaust does not smell.

I'll bet the exhaust will smell if you install the chip.
    The smell you referring to is a result of fattening up the f/a ratio map. The only thing lean about a Goldwing is it's air fuel ratio. Actually most all motorcycles these days are tuned extremely lean to meet the ever stringent EPA regulations. Thats probably why many modify and remap for less engine heat on Harleys. Lean ratios make for more combustion chamber heat therefore more overall engine heat on the rider.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWingrGreg View Post
    The same can be said for their women.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbblume View Post
    The same can be said for their women.

2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It Is Too Good To Be True!

Sorry, but just adding more fuel DOES NOT increase horsepower or torque without adding an equivelant amount of air in the stociometric ratio of close to 14.7:1 to combust the fuel. And if you start 'tricking' the ecm on the Goldwing, the most likely result will be deminished performance and the FI light coming on. It would have been real easy to just program more fuel to be delivered to the engine when Honda's engineers were writing the software, but they didn't, and I'll bet there's a real good reason for it. And it isn't just the fuel amount that changes when the engine is cold. The idle speed and ignition timing also change from cold to hot. And I have NEVER driven ANY vehicle that ran faster quarter mile times when it was cold rather than hot. I'd RUN FAST away from this product and it's rediculous claims. Remember, it's engine torque that accelerates you, not horsepower. Horsepower is how high a speed you can reach once you have accelerated. If someone made replacement heads with 4 valves per cylinder and dual cams, created a variable valve timing system for the intake cams, put larger intake runners and throttle body on the intake side and put larger fuel injectors into the manifold, you could probably double or even triple the torque and horsepower of the Goldwing engine, but that would cost tens of thousands of dollars. You're right, real power costs real big. The add-on with the best potential I've seen is the turbo set-up someone else here on the forum engineered and put on a Goldwing. Hmmm, I wonder how he's doing?
    I put more miles on my bike each year than my car.
    1982 Suzuki GS850G, sold at 67,000 miles!
    1983 Suzuki GS850G, sold at 73,000 miles!
    2003 GL1800, Candy Red, trans self-destructed at 47,000 miles!
    2006 GL1800, Titanium. Still adding "stuff"!

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of these cheap mods are basicaly resistors to change the engine temp reading to the ecm. Not a smart move in my book.
    2007 Metallic Blue Comfort & Navi

Volunteer Fire Fighter
    CMA Member
    PGR Member

------------------------
    Freedom is not Free
    ------------------------

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

14.7 to 1 is extremely lean for a performance motorcycle engine. I like more like 13.8 to 1. But not everywhere. You have to match fuel delivery to your cams. The velocity changes dramatically throughout the RPM range.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmitch View Post
    Lets see... last time I checked, Army, Marines, and Airforce BEATS lame fat goldwing rider with a gun
    2004 GL1800AT
    2000 CBR929RR
    1987 CR500R
    1982 MB5
    1981 CB900F
    1971 CB836K1

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davenc View Post
    ...http://www.afrtuner.com/

I was the first one in the states to test it out. My bike runs perfect all the time under any conditions including elevation changes and I can set my AFR on a cell by cell basis to any AFR I want. It will auto tune it self in about 15 mins of riding. Bazzaz sells something similar but the Motty beats it hands down for auto tuning the AFR map. There are more TP and RPM cells in the map then power commanders which makes for a very detailed fuel map. It's really an amazing product and does exactly what it says it does. Even with one of these devices on my bike along with a aftermarket exhaust it still will only make about ~10 - 12 more HP then a stock bike. ~135 rear wheel HP.
    Since this system "tricks" the signals coming out of the ECM, how are little things like cylinder VE's, CLB's, spark advancements, and PE ratios handled? There's a LOT more to tuning then simply adjusting the AFR tables.

Personally, I'd caution anyone considering a fuel management system add-on component that uses trickery or is hardwired in place.
    8th & I - '73-'75

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I read somewhere else that this will ultimately give a .3 hp gain, reduce torque by only 2%, and decrease gas mileage by 7 mpg. I think it's a great bargain.
    Jim Robert RI
    Former Navy Senior Chief

Post Thanks / Like

Getting more power is a difficult task.

A more effective way to improve your hp/weight ratio would be to shed weight.

Either you or the wing.

Start with the center stand.
    Empty your bags.
    Be creative

Or spend lots of $ on a turbo, someone out there has put one on a wing.
    07 Navi Silver "Beast"

Excuse me, gotta go roost someone.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The marketer of this device knows that few people will raise a stink after trying it since the cost is so low. He/she knows that most buyers would be embarrassed to make it known that they bit, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always believed there is nothing like more cubic inches (CC in the motorcycle arena)for more horsepower but what do I know.

'09 GL1800 Pewter Silver Metallic(Bought 11/27/12)
    BT-45 Battlax front/Kuhmo rear
    Roadsmith (Loaded w/ Goodies)

'08 GL1800 Black (Bought 11/18/09)
    BT-45 Battlax front/Kuhmo rear
    Hannigan..Done 1/16/2012
    The "Blackbird"

USAF 1955-59

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb9uze View Post
    I've always believed there is nothing like more cubic inches (CC in the motorcycle arena)for more horsepower but what do I know.
    You sound like a prospective buyer of a Stallion, a Triumph Rocket or a Boss Hoss...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davenc View Post
    I don't know where you got the idea that it tricks the signals coming out of the ECM because it doesn't. If you would have read the information on the website you wouldn't have made that comment because it just doesn't work like that. It works along side WITH the ECM and uses some of the same signals the ECM uses to make the adjustments. It's wired in just like a power commander, and there are tens of thousands of them installed on sport bikes and cruisers across the globe.

Fuel management devices like the power commander and numerous others have been used successfully for many years without ill effects on 4 stroke engines. Most racers use a tool like this to alter the AFR when mods to the bike are made. There are numerous devices on the market (tekatune etc..)that simple alter or flash the ECM fuel map. If what your saying is true then companies like Dyno jet and Bazzaz etc... would not exist. The Motty and bazzaz etc.. simply do it more accurately and faster then manual units like the power commander do.

I don't know about the O/P's company in question. The price and it's Goldwing application would seem to indicate it''s bogus. I and countless others motorcyclist use Dynojet Power Commander to improve performance. I have read nothing but positive comments on their Autotune accessory which intrigues me too. There are many other companies that market similar tools for M/C, autos, and trucks. I've also owned and seen the notable performance improvement products made by Diablosport, Hypertech etc. They do work particularly well along with other intake and exhaust mods.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.