Older Hannigan Trailers
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Older Hannigan Trailers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Older Hannigan Trailers

I'm looking at purchasing a used (1999) Hannigan Europa trailer. Are there any specific areas that I should look at that have a history of failure or problems?

Are there specific years where major changes to the design should be considered?

Based on what I have read in this forum, it would appear that Hannigan trailers are right up at the top of the list with T/Wind, Bushtec, and Champion. Seems somewhat strange, of these top rated units, Hannigan seems to be of the simplest design. Or am I missing something?

"First Run Flat Tires on a Two Wheeler"
    2012 GL 1800 ABS
    2008 GL 1800 Airbag
    2002 GL 1800 Level 1
    1978 GL 1000 "Outrageous"
    1973 CB 750 Gold
    Darksider #443

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Used Hannigans are not easy to find. I have never heard of any year models being problematic. If it's in satisfactory condition for the asking price in your opinion....BUY IT.

Stephen
    2008 Black GL1800
    DS #246
    He is, therefore, I am.
    Cancer Sucks!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto, very hard to find a used Hannigan. All i can say is the trailer is wonderful and the people at Hannigan provide top notch customer service.
    Tim
    2006 GL1800 ABS Beautiful Dark Red
    2009 Hannigan Sierra Beautiful Dark Red
    G.W.B.B.A. #21
    US ARMY RETIRED
    Civilian Contractor in Iraq

Post Thanks / Like

Ask to see the maintenance records, if any. Only thing I can think of is if the wheel bearings were properly repacked. Tom

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hannigan Trailers

I had a 97 for 6 years and other than repacking the bearings it was flawless. Sold it in 2003 after I bought a new wing and the cost to repaint was too high. I have had the 2003 ever since and other than repacking the bearings it too has been flawless. My co-rider would not let me buy any other due to the looks and it pulls like a dream and I will keep it for many more years since I just had a trike conversion done on the 2002 wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is a '96 and the only thing I've done was to make it purtier.

PS: It does get washed & waxed once in a while.
    Is it really true that the yellow ones are faster, get better mileage, etc, etc, etc?

email: rickavethlove@cableone.net

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the market for a M/C cargo trailer as evidence with my posts on the thread "Who makes the best pull behind trailer"
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...=233390&page=4
    Tom Finch rates trailers in the following order:
    1. Tailwind (no surprize there)
    2. Hannigan
    3. Champion

I would love to have a Tailwind but I still cannot justify (to me OR the wife) the $7000 price tag. I would like to find a Hannigan but all the dealerships are back East, and I would like to pick it up at the factory, but don't relish a cross country jaunt to make that happen.

The Champions are made here in California so that is the way I am leaning. My question is where were you looking to find used Hannigans? I certainly haven't seen any on Ebay. A PM would be fine.
    Former MSF/CMSP instructor, IBA#6027
    2005 GL-1800A, Metalic Silver
    Retired in Roseburg, OR

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 2001 Europa and the only problem was that the taillights Dave used had two brake lights in each side meaning four high power filaments when the brake is on. That coupled with the undersized relays in the isolator systems sold with the hitches resulted in welded contacts for the brake section of the relay package, and that kept the brake lights on full time until it melted the socket for the trailer plug. This happened three times and forever soured me on the little relay packs they use in the isolator harnesses that come with the hitches.

Relative to the trailer, the Taillights are no longer available which should lower the value of the early Hannigan trailers. For those that like projects, this is an opportunity because the taillight pockets can be glassed in and surface type Brake/turn/marker lights can be used.

Then you have a good trailer at low cost plus some elbow grease and some painting.

If the Taillight housings are not broken, then you can put off the glass work until one of the taillights is broken or it cracks from age.
    Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
    Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
    Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
    Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Post Thanks / Like

Tom: What make/year car are the older (i.e. '96) Hannigan Europa taillights from? About 18 months ago (??), a member from this board had a set of those lights for sale.
    Is it really true that the yellow ones are faster, get better mileage, etc, etc, etc?

email: rickavethlove@cableone.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finch View Post
    I had a 2001 Europa and the only problem was that the taillights Dave used had two brake lights in each side meaning four high power filaments when the brake is on. That coupled with the undersized relays in the isolator systems sold with the hitches resulted in welded contacts for the brake section of the relay package, and that kept the brake lights on full time until it melted the socket for the trailer plug. This happened three times and forever soured me on the little relay packs they use in the isolator harnesses that come with the hitches.

Relative to the trailer, the Taillights are no longer available which should lower the value of the early Hannigan trailers. For those that like projects, this is an opportunity because the taillight pockets can be glassed in and surface type Brake/turn/marker lights can be used.

Then you have a good trailer at low cost plus some elbow grease and some painting.

If the Taillight housings are not broken, then you can put off the glass work until one of the taillights is broken or it cracks from age.
    Tom,
    Thanks for responding (and everyone else too). I met you and the fruits of your passion at WingDing last year. The Tailwind is a very impressive piece of engineering and hope some day to own one....As I work my way towards owning the Lexus of trailers...your Tailwind, the Hannigan will hopefully get me a few years of good service.

I've not heard of the relay issues and wonder is there a isolation harness that does provide the suitable sized relay to accomodate the current higher draw of the dual brake lights? Right now I have a new EC harness installed on the wing. Are the relays you refer to of the older vintage harnesses that existed during the GL1500 timeframe? Perhaps another solution might be to replace the 1157 bulbs with LED bulbs?
    Thanks again for your response...
    JHughes556

2012 GL 1800 ABS
    2008 GL 1800 Airbag
    2002 GL 1800 Level 1
    1973 CB 750 Gold
    Darksider #443

Post Thanks / Like

Jhughes556

What I did was put isolation in the Hannigan after the third failure. The Tailwinds and all trailers we have built have isolation in them. Below is the schematic of the Tailwind and you can make your own isolation system by following this schematic.

Also if you send me an eMail and ask for our electricial eMail, we will send you the package Via eMail that we include in inquiries..

You can get the relays and sockets at Walmart in most places, and in auto parts stores. They are called headlight relays, and the generic term for the relays is "Bosch Relay". They are used widely in automotive manufacture.

One of our customers came up with mounting the six pin socket in the bottom of the trunk. Since then all of our customers have adopted and improved this installation.

Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me that an easier solution is to replace the standard bulbs with light emitting diodes (LEDs). If the bulb is a standard 1159 (I think this is the right referrence), then they sell them a lot of places. The light output is more directional but opposite to the socket, so that should not be a problem in most situations. I think the lights are as bright as stock but require less power. I am not familiar with what kind of light bulbs are used in a Hannigan trailer so maybe I am all wet, but if not, it will require no rewiring. The cost of the LED bulbs is several times the cost of a standard bulb but they are suppose to last several hundred thousand hours of use and they don't have filiment to break if they get shaken around running down rough roads. Worth looking into isn't it?
    Former MSF/CMSP instructor, IBA#6027
    2005 GL-1800A, Metalic Silver
    Retired in Roseburg, OR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rowell View Post
    Seems to me that an easier solution is to replace the standard bulbs with light emitting diodes (LEDs). If the bulb is a standard 1159 (I think this is the right referrence), then they sell them a lot of places. The light output is more directional but opposite to the socket, so that should not be a problem in most situations. I think the lights are as bright as stock but require less power. I am not familiar with what kind of light bulbs are used in a Hannigan trailer so maybe I am all wet, but if not, it will require no rewiring. The cost of the LED bulbs is several times the cost of a standard bulb but they are suppose to last several hundred thousand hours of use and they don't have filiment to break if they get shaken around running down rough roads. Worth looking into isn't it?
    Yes, I think it's worth looking into as its just a bulb swap. I think they are 1156's for the running lights and 1157's for the turn and brakes. When I do it, I'll do one side first a post some pics of the differences.
    I like the concept of having an isolated battery in the trailer along with a 12 volt power point, and possibly an inverter. But that is a larger project than I want to undertake right now.
    J
    Last edited by jhughes556; 02-09-2010 at 11:23 AM.

2012 GL 1800 ABS
    2008 GL 1800 Airbag
    2002 GL 1800 Level 1
    1973 CB 750 Gold
    Darksider #443

Post Thanks / Like

My comments about the older Hannigan Taillights were more about not being available if they are broken.

The little isolators are a pain. If the LED replacement bulbs will perform as well as the filament bulbs, you will not need the isolator anyway.

Individual fuses in each of the four signal wires is a good alternative. I had a short in the marker light on my second Hannigan, and found it by having fuses in various lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks many on the board here, ...I'm not looking anymore!!! ...just back from a 2 day, 1800 mile trip to pick this little treasure up. A 1999 Hannigan Europa, paint to match 99, 1500. Pearl White with light gray panels and pin-stripping. Lighted spoiler, full carpet, chrome wheels and tongue, Heim hitch, hang up bag, and a full cover. New tires, wheel bearings (spares) Approximately 10,000 miles....looks like it.

It's pretty much ready to go and I'm gonna leave it as it sits for now. Fill it up with everything I can imagine and enjoy. Will be experimenting with LED light replacements for the turn, brake, and running lights per Tom's discussion above. I'll post comparisons photos when completed.

By the way, PO said he could have sold 10 of them if he'd had them. Kind of fits with whats been said here and on the PM's I've received. Those who are looking, if you find one, be ready to pull the trigger!!! Thanks to all that have steered me towards the Hannigan...

JHughes556

2012 GL 1800 ABS
    2008 GL 1800 Airbag
    2002 GL 1800 Level 1
    1973 CB 750 Gold
    Darksider #443

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Jim... It looks like new.
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2012-GL1800,Hannigan Gen2
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Post Thanks / Like

that will look good behind my blue bike.... thanks for letting me barrow it..

2005 GL1800 Metalic Blue
    Honda CB400 Red SuperSport 1974

Darksider # 320
    Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16 31#'s
    Bridgestone Battlax Rear Tire in the front 40#'s

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful trailer and just the right color to be behind my pearl white 1500. Hmmmm........

Jaap & Jeri Kroes
    2008 GL1800 Navi Red
    195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Tire Run Flat Rear Tire
    Dunlop E3 Front
    Darkside # 1543
    Member of the Patriot Guard
    Ham Radio Callsign - KR0ES

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with Hannigan trailers but would venture a guess that you are correct about the design. Hannigan trike suspensions and driveline configurations are among the simplest and perform better than most. Hannigan's philosophy seems to be 'keep it simple' and concentrate on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by jhughes556 View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a used (1999) Hannigan Europa trailer. Are there any specific areas that I should look at that have a history of failure or problems?

Are there specific years where major changes to the design should be considered?

Based on what I have read in this forum, it would appear that Hannigan trailers are right up at the top of the list with T/Wind, Bushtec, and Champion. Seems somewhat strange, of these top rated units, Hannigan seems to be of the simplest design. Or am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had two Hannigans, two Champions, an Escapade, and build the Tailwind. Started building motorcycle pulled trailers in 1957 and produced the Streamliner for several years. I have done major repair to Bushtecs and Champions. To me, the totem is:

Tailwind

Hannigan

Champion (Post 06)
    Escapade.

As Switz would say, your mileage may vary.

My reasons are technological. Visual appeal is purely subjective, but are often what a person uses to select technical things. I think the photo above of the silver grey and white Hannigan is very nice looking. However, I know Dave makes good trailers and have been in his facility several times.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.