GL1800Riders Forums banner

OEM Volt meter

10K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  Slowpoke 
#1 ·
Thought I would share this for those that don't know know. I recently added a Honda OEM Voltmeter on the right side of my Goldwing. Shopping around, they were on Ebay, Partzilla, multiple other places.

I found an OEM Volt gage on Boats.net for 1/2 the price of others, it has Honda printed on gage face...it was 17.00 through Boats.net and anywhere from 34-54 on other sights. Boats.net seems to be an affiliate of Partzilla.....also, I've ordered multiple OEM parts from Partzilla, cheap with fast shipping.

EDIT: As requested below, part number info: 37451-ZW5-000ZA BK VOLTMETER, BE (Honda)

#7 ·
Mounting

The gage mounts fine with no problem whatsoever, it looks great.....recommended AFTER it was mounted, because it is OEM, indicates HONDA on the face and it is cheaper than most.

#8 ·
Thanks for posting

Really appreciate the post. With a little bit of effort I might be able to find a cheaper source for other OEM stuff. Logical to look at Honda watercraft for waterproof bike parts that can work.
Gary

#13 ·
This is the same one I installed as well. Last year, it actually alerted me to the fact that my battery wasn't in the best shape anymore, alerting me to change it for a new one before heading out on the last long trip. It was beginning to take too long after startup to come back closer to the regular voltage while running....just under 14 volts, telling me the battery was somewhat "tired"

It looks great; it's a truly useful measuring instrument, and was inexpensive as I remember costing about $30. I don't know why Honda wouldn't include this guage on the high end Gold Wing as a matter of course

#16 ·
This is the same one I installed as well. Last year, it actually alerted me to the fact that my battery wasn't in the best shape anymore, alerting me to change it for a new one before heading out on the last long trip. It was beginning to take too long after startup to come back closer to the regular voltage while running....just under 14 volts, telling me the battery was somewhat "tired"

It looks great; it's a truly useful measuring instrument, and was inexpensive as I remember costing about $30. I don't know why Honda wouldn't include this guage on the high end Gold Wing as a matter of course
I'm like you rh. I don't understand why they just don't make it standard equipment. That is the same one I have too, and it also showed me a tiring battery as well last year. Like you, I think I paid around $30 as well.
I wouldn't be without it on my trike.

#17 ·
Excellent solution!

I bought this one a few months ago for $21 plus ~$5 shipping. Nice enough, fit's great, lighted, but doesn't say Honda.

On a lark, I pondered trying to find where to hook the light power into the wiring harness in a way that was sensitive to the dimming I selected. After staring at the service manual schematics for a while, reminiscent of a dog staring at a ceiling fan, I finally decided all that dimmy stuff must be going on inside the meter panel and there aren't any dim-sensitive wires out and about for me to tap into. Ran the hot wire from one of the aux posts on the main fuse panel (to meter + and light power) and the ground from my ground block.

Gauge Speedometer Auto part Tachometer Fuel gauge

#18 ·
As for standard equipment ---

Honda is weird. I think it runs in the family. We have a 2008 CR-V. Top of line (EX-L maybe? I forget) with everything but the optional nav. Not super loaded but very comfortable. The damn thing does NOT have a windshield washer low indicator. It's a source of constant amusement and occasional irritation to me. Please don't get me started.

#19 ·
Volt Meter wiring

Rick
Could I ask if you bought a harness to wire on right side so heated grips work or did you just find a switchable hot wire?
Thanks
I wanted to tap into a heavy gage wire that was easy to find and switched, so I tied into the pos and neg of the cigarette lighter on the left side, ran the wires under the shelter to the right......real easy.

#21 ·
As for standard equipment ---

Honda is weird. I think it runs in the family. We have a 2008 CR-V. Top of line (EX-L maybe? I forget) with everything but the optional nav. Not super loaded but very comfortable. The damn thing does NOT have a windshield washer low indicator. It's a source of constant amusement and occasional irritation to me. Please don't get me started.
I have never owned a car that had a low washer fluid indicator, and I have never owned a Honda car. It's not as common of a feature as you might think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.