Do trailers have pink slips? (Zephyr)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do trailers have pink slips? (Zephyr)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do trailers have pink slips? (Zephyr)

I found a Zephyr for sale. It's not plated or registered and here is the owner's story:

It was given to them by a friend of the family who bought it new and never used it because his wife still wouldn't go on trips with him. The clear coat is peeling because it was just sitting on the side of the house. They bought a hitch for their Harley with the intention of using it, but they never got the hitch installed and decided they aren't going to use it.

I've never owned any sort of trailer so I'm wondering:

1) Do trailers like this have pink slips?
    2) Does a Zephyr have a VIN? (if so, where is it located, she said she didn't see one)

My obvious concern is to make sure it's legit, not stolen, and that I can register it. Any advice is welcome.

I intend on calling cyclemate/timeouttrailers tomorrow when they are open, but I'm still hoping to get some info here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Every state has a different rule and system

Arkansas has a tittle, and a lifetime plate

ok and texas just doesnt seem to care, and all you get is a bill of sale from a used purchase

check your state for sure

once you pay your trailer, its your job to get a title, it took me 5 months recently to get one out of texas into arkansas

Post Thanks / Like

I believe they do, but in Indiana, its just as easy to have it inspected by an officer, create a VIN, and get it tagged if it doesn't have a title or Cert of Origin....

No clue on the VIN, but usually every manufactured vehicle has one, and if it was hand-built, one will have to be created for it by the State. Check underneath the tongue for the VIN...

Seasoned Member Jeff in Ferndale WA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As said above,states differ.Washington has a title,plate and a tab that has to be renewed anually.
    I'm sure there's a vin somewhere.
    Jeff in Ferndale,WA
    White 04

Post Thanks / Like

I only needed a bill of sale no title required because of the trailer size.
    The Marine Corps made me a man. My sons made me a father. I have never regretted a moment of either.
    Semper Fi
    www.zach-seidlitz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot all. I had the current owner check by the toung where the weights are posted, but there's no vin there.

I'll check with the manufacturer tomorrow and if they say there is no VIN, then I'll feel just fine about it.

I'll post pics as soon as I join the club ... hopefully tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

I received the original "Certificate of Origin" with my 99 Hannigan that I purchased last month. It was issued by the manufacturer and looks similar to an automotive title. Information such as empty and gross weight, model description serial number etc were included. Also an area to transfer ownership is provided on the document.

Knowing that all I needed was a bill of sale to register in Texas, I also had a BOS signed and notarized before taking possession of the trailer. Better to have more than needed I always say.....

For registration in Texas, all I needed was a bill of sale since the trailer was under 4000#. DMV had no interest in the Cert of origin.

"First Run Flat Tires on a Two Wheeler"
    2012 GL 1800 ABS
    2008 GL 1800 Airbag
    2002 GL 1800 Level 1
    1978 GL 1000 "Outrageous"
    1973 CB 750 Gold
    Darksider #443

Post Thanks / Like

In MN you can get a plate for a bobcat trailer with a sales invoice. A homemade semi trailer will need to be inspected and a VIN number created at Motor Vehicles dept.

07 ABS Race Tech/Traxxion
    Anti Chrome #007 Darksider #157 http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt
    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55-16

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with the manufacturer this morning and it seems timeouttrailers bought cyclemate in 2005. Since 2005, they have put the VIN near the tongue, but she doesn't know where they may have been before that.

Another indicator that it is a pre 2005 model is that the wiring harness is flat and not round like the rest of the timeout line.

It would sure be nice to hear from a pre 2005 owner of a Zephyr on if there's a VIN and where it is located.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought, call CA - DMV, if you can get an actual person on the line, they should be able to tell you. I for one personally thank you for being cautious about purchasing something from a private party without proof of ownership

2005 Portland Grey Metallic
    2009 Tailwind
    1969 Wife, (best of the best!!)
    Lost first Son 1979 - 2010 saddest of the sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Post some photos. There were a number of people that ordered fiberglass bodies form Europe and made their own chassis for them and sold them under various names.

Some Chassis were bad, and some a lot worse. Could be one of those.

Here is a photo of one of the really bad chassis.

Last edited by Tom Finch; 03-12-2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Help downsize Government! Encourage private industry!
    Make things here, sell them in the Mid and Far East!!
    Ship goods out. Bring dollars in. Strengthen America!!
    Texan since 36, Rider since 52, Bike/Trailer riden' since 57. Passed 1,000,000 motorcycle miles 6/16/08.
    '10 GL 1800A '04 GL 1800A, '04 Tailwind XTc (We make 'em), '75 TEFCO Streamliner

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I would steer clear of this deal.......to many "what ifs" involved....Every trailer still has to be compliant with the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Admin) whether it has to be registered (and or Titled) in any state or not.

JMHO,

Mark
    Ride On!
    '08 Titanium Wing Comfort/Navi
    '07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
    AMA & NRA Member
    DSi # 563
    Hankook Ventus V4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Licensing Trailer in CA

I would Pass on buying that trailer.

I recently bought my first trailer (a used Piggy Backer), and had a terrible time trying to register it in CA due to a damaged VIN number on the ID plate. It took me 4 trips to AAA, CHP and DMV to finally get a new number assigned to it... nobody seemed to know what to do with a motorcycle trailer. What saved the day was that I had the original bill of sale from the Mfr to the previous owner, as well as another bill of sale from them to myself. In the end we got a supervisor to pretend that the original VIN number did not exist, and treated it as if it was home built.

If you Do want that trailer, then probably a good idea to first contact the DMV and ask their guidance..
    "I void warranties"

-Piaggio MP3-500, Darkside: NOKIAN 155/65/R14, 35 psi
    -GL1500 (1990 & 2000SE's):
    Rear: Darkside 175/60/16 Dunlop Wintersport ROF, 41psi
    Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi

"Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin"

KJ6QFZ
    Dark Side #590,

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom, I saw your post just before I left and it's definitely not that one. This is more like a plane ole "T" shape.

This morning I called Timeout Trailers and they said they put the VINs near the tongue, but weren't sure where previous to 2005 when they bought cyclemate out.

With the help of a former Zephyr owner, (thanks blizardj!) we were able to locate the VIN on the bottom.

When I saw the trailer, the story they gave me all seemed to check out. The clearcoat was pealing from sitting out in the sun for years, yet the tires still had the ruber spikes poking out all over them as if it was never towed. We filled out a bill of sale which she put her driver's license info on in front of me. I felt pretty good about the transaction then.

Long story short, I bought the trailer, got an awesome DMV agent (super lucky) who worked with me to get everything transferred over. I walked out with a permanent plate.

What a relief!

Post Thanks / Like

Code1 - Glad it worked out. My father built me an awesome utility trailer many years back. The California DMV inspected the trailer to insure it was legal as far as lights go and then gave me an aluminum VIN tag that was stamp embossed with the VIN in black ink and a certificate of title and registration. The plates were required to be renewed and fees paid at the same interval as regular cars and trucks.

About 6 years ago they issued me permanent plates so they no longer ding me every so often for new tags. The only yank is that the ink on the metal VIN tag faded/wore off and then the adhesive finally let loose in the desert heat. I have never been stopped towing the trailer so I don't think it is a big issue. As long as I have the registration for the trailer in hand, I doubt they would ever look for the VIN number.

Having the VIN on an adhesive lable is pretty stupid in the first place. It could be easily removed and stuck on another trailer that had been stolen. My guess is that most trailers are not worth much so they put little effort in making sure they are traceable.
    Former MSF/CMSP instructor, IBA#6027
    2005 GL-1800A, Metalic Silver
    Retired in Roseburg, OR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coder1 View Post
    I found a Zephyr for sale. It's not plated or registered and here is the owner's story:

1) Do trailers like this have pink slips?
    2) Does a Zephyr have a VIN? (if so, where is it located, she said she didn't see one)

I intend on calling cyclemate/timeouttrailers tomorrow when they are open, but I'm still hoping to get some info here.
    I had a Cycle Mate which also made the Zypher. The VIN on the CM2000 was on the tongue just in front of the body. Their Chrome tongue is a cover you have to remove to get to the VIN tag.
    John Bales, MSG (Ret) USA
    Indy
    2005 GL1800, Candy Black Cherry
    2009 Escapade Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Finch View Post
    Here is a photo of one of the really bad chassis.

Tom,
    I have never seen torsion suspension set up that way. Looks backwards to me I may be wrong (but I don't think so). I wouldn't buy or pull it!
    John Bales, MSG (Ret) USA
    Indy
    2005 GL1800, Candy Black Cherry
    2009 Escapade Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Only if they get laid-off!

Post Thanks / Like

The clearcoat was pealing from sitting out in the sun for years, yet the tires still had the ruber spikes poking out all over them as if it was never towed.
    Replace your trailer's tires ASAP. I learned the hard way from my boat trailer that trailer tires rot on the inside especially if exposed to the elements. I had two tires blow that looked new but were over 4 years old. I did a lot of research on trailer tires in general, and learned to replace them every 2 or 3 years regardless of how much use they show because of the inside rot damage. They may look new on the outside but don't let that fool you, there might be trouble on the inside.
    2008 Goldwing

Galveston Ferry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks wing-renter. That is something I did not even think about because they look so good.

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks wing-renter. That is something I did not even think about because they look so good.
    This was interesting. Because of your post, I chased down what CA wants for trailers and plates. Seems like CA has a 'Permanent Trailer Identification' program in place. You get a Permanent Plate good for 5 years that costs $20, then a renewal every five years for $5. Pretty good for CA. Oregon gives you a choice, with no registration or plates if under 2000 pounds, and Washington nails you with a sales tax, plates, etc every year.

And, definately dump the old shoes. Good idea to repack and check the bearings, also. Wiring up to snuff, or is it full of butt connectors, wire taps, and old and brittle? Also, welcome to the 55MPH while towing club while in CA.
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In Washington,you only pay sales tax when you buy the trailer.We have a 30.00$ flat fee plus,thanks to our govenor a 10$ tonnage tax on cars and motorcycles and trailers.you have to replace the plates every 7 years on all vehicles.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Zephyr

I bought a new Zephyr in 03 and at the time they were made in Egerton MN so I went to the factory to pick the trailer up.Terry Tinklenberg was the owner of cycle mate at that time.I reciecved a bill of sale that has the serial number on it but I think it is located under the tongue cover.So I do have an invoice and bill of sale for the trailer but I recall that the license beraue had some problems when getting it lcensed the firs time do to no official title.These papers were given to the owner in a plastic case labeled Cycle Mate (Please keep MCO for future use.) DO NOT DESTROY so there is offical papers for the trailer somewhere.

Hope this helps

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.