GL1800Riders Forums banner

Is Honda ever going to put a six-speed transmission in a Gold Wing?

12K views 55 replies 38 participants last post by  GeneDjr 
#1 ·
I own a 2006 GoldWing. I love the bike. My complaint is when I am on the interstate at 70 MPH, I am showing 3000 RPM. My thought is Honda could install a 6-speed and thereby lower the RPM the bike is going at highway speeds.

Anyone got any answers?

Thanks,

Mike

#3 ·
Honda will never put a 6th gear in a 5th generation Wiing. Their basic design for this bike ended in 2001 when it was released. What you are hoping for may happen in the 6th gen, but not in this one.

Reactions: josephajr53
#6 ·
I hope not
:yes1:
There is no problem running at 3000rpm with this engine.
I had a 07 HD softail an 08 HD Ultra and a 2012 Road Glide ultra all with 6 speeds
Only the softail could use 6th the 08 Ultra was way underpowered and the 12 while very smooth running at 70mph was still underpowered in 6th and had too many other issues.

#7 ·
Beleive the wings comfort zone (so to speak ) is 3000 rpms

#11 ·
If Honda were to put a 6 speed in the Gold Wings with the current engine tune there would be riders complaining that they have to down shift to 5th to have any passing power. It would be nice to get a little better fuel mileage but not at the expense of the power my 2012 currently has in OD.

#13 ·
In my opinion, the bike needs an overdrive. Period. The numbers of gears, either 5 or 6 is not the issue. Get rid of the useless 1st gear and make the overdrive 4th gear. This way you've eliminated a useless 1st gear an kept the peace with those that deny the bike should have another gear. In fact you've created an overdrive and decreased the numbers of times needed to shift! Voila! Everybody's happy!

#15 ·
beating a dead horse....

We all know that the highest gear needs to have a higher gear ratio.... So does Honda....
As stated earlier, Honda doesn't want the rider to have to downshift to pass on the freeway. On the 1500 one of the biggest complaints was to roll on power (passing) at freeway speed. Keeping the highest gear a little lower solved this complaint. However, it unleashed another complaint.

They will never change the existing gl1800..... next gen.... maybe.... hopefully.

Add on component suggestion: For those of us that don't pull a trailer or haul a lot of weight. I would like to see somebody make a final drive with a higher gear ratio. This would make 1st gear act like 2nd, 2nd like 3rd etc..

#16 ·
In my opinion, the bike needs an overdrive. Period. The numbers of gears, either 5 or 6 is not the issue. Get rid of the useless 1st gear and make the overdrive 4th gear. This way you've eliminated a useless 1st gear an kept the peace with those that deny the bike should have another gear. In fact you've created an overdrive and decreased the numbers of times needed to shift! Voila! Everybody's happy!

I'd be happy if they would change the gear ratio in the final drive. It would make 1st less of a granny gear, AND lower the cruise RPMs on the highway.

Problem solved.

#18 ·
I won't buy a new wing until Honda adds a 6th gear or changes the gear ratios. There is no reason that you should be able to slow down to 25mph in 5th gear and not have to shift down. A 6th gear would greatly increase gas mileage. If they add a 6th gear the guys who love the 5 speed can simply act like 6th isn't there.

#19 ·
I won't buy a new wing until Honda adds a 6th gear or changes the gear ratios. There is no reason that you should be able to slow down to 25mph in 5th gear and not have to shift down. A 6th gear would greatly increase gas mileage. If they add a 6th gear the guys who love the 5 speed can simply act like 6th isn't there.
Sometimes lowering the rpm's will make it use more gas. I tried this on another bike using a taller tire to do the same thing as a OD. When I lowered it by 400 rpm's while it sounded and felt good it used more gas. It was making the engine work harder which in turn used more gas. How many bikes can be running 70 and run up to 125 to 130 mph. That itself tell me they have it right. JMO
David

#20 ·
For those of us who ride 1 up or are at our ideal hight/ weight ratio :lol: ou my feel that the 1800 is geared to low in top gear. HOW EVER, you take a rider and passenger with a combined weight of say 400 to 500+ # pulling let's say a Time Out camping trailer over say the pass in Estes park, well you get the idea. Was in Duluth MN and found my self having to start out from A stop light pointing up a very steep hill on a 1200 Wing while 2 up pulling a small Cycle Mate cargo trailer. It almost did'nt go. If you are looking for horse power and good fuel economy buy a Hyabusa. Also when Honda changed to a taller gearing on the 1983 Wing over the 1982 wing there was a lot of unhappy 1983 Wing owners and 1982 Wing owners were asking for a taller gearing and were unhappy when they got it. So be carefull what you ask for.

#21 ·
For those of us who ride 1 up or are at our ideal hight/ weight ratio :lol: ou my feel that the 1800 is geared to low in top gear. HOW EVER, you take a rider and passenger with a combined weight of say 400 to 500+ # pulling let's say a Time Out camping trailer over say the pass in Estes park, well you get the idea. Was in Duluth MN and found my self having to start out from A stop light pointing up a very steep hill on a 1200 Wing while 2 up pulling a small Cycle Mate cargo trailer. It almost did'nt go. If you are looking for horse power and good fuel economy buy a Hyabusa. Also when Honda changed to a taller gearing on the 1983 Wing over the 1982 wing there was a lot of unhappy 1983 Wing owners and 1982 Wing owners were asking for a taller gearing and were unhappy when they got it. So be carefull what you ask for.
I am not a mechanic. Are you saying you can't keep the current gear ratio and just add a 6th higher gear for the thruway?

#22 ·
I'd be happy if they would change the gear ratio in the final drive. It would make 1st less of a granny gear, AND lower the cruise RPMs on the highway.

Problem solved.
[h=2]
[/h]

I would sell my 2012 for just what is owed on it if they would do this. I can see the reason some think it needs nothing more than the 5th gear it has now,,BUT when myself and the wife are riding ,, we don't exceed the payload capacity of the wing like lot of the couples I saw at wing ding.. Once I am at 35 mph I never have to downshift unless passing another vehicle. And I enjoy the shifting gears That's why I don't want the automatic.. ..And 250 rpm is not what I am looking for as an over drive.. more like 750 drop like the hone o drive after market unit did for my suburban and 68 chevelle SS​

#26 ·
Yes I would like a slightly "longer or taller" geared 1st
But I am happy with all the rest of the gearing.
And I do understand why they have such a low first, I just do not need or like anything that low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.