When brake fluid spills.........
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When brake fluid spills.........

Post Thanks / Like

Default When brake fluid spills.........

The best plan is to prevent/avoid the situation; but of mice and men, the best plan may fall through. On Saturday morning I found my left fairing electronic control panal with white residue and drips of brake fluid from the clutch matser reservoir. The two JIS screws were loose and the fluid had seeped from the top gasket. The painted fairing under the electronic control panal also had white runs on it and the trim strip had wrinkled/soft paint. The Hazzard button was gummy. I used hot soapy water to flush the area and acetic acid formula Windex to clean with toilet paper to absorb as much as possible. When I would clean it, it the paint would turn black again, as it dried it was white. Very ugly for sure. The wrinkled paint on the trim strip acted like wet decal material and I pushed it back into place fairly well but still guly white blotches. I then used some All Purpose GO-JO Hand Cleaner to coat the affected area and the wiped it clean. The paint stayed black, is still black tonight (Sunday). The "scars" on the panel still show if you look close, but the fairing "fared" pretty well. The trim strip has to be replaced.

So, if it happens to you, think to try GO-JO Hand Cleaner, the non-abrasive type, of course.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That sucks. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Murphy gets you every time.
    Richard
    Winchester, VA
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Post Thanks / Like

Good info on the GoJo. I never would have thought to try that.

Many folks overfill the front brake and clutch lever reservoirs. You need to leave a LARGE air gap in there. You will also have problems when you push the pucks in on the calipers to install new pads if you have the reservoirs too full. Only fill those reservoirs to the lowest line. They don't need a lot of fluid in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Good pointers, Fred. This was the clutch and I did have it set to the lower point, but that dang stuff seems to creep around in there like an octopuss. Another think to consider about the clutch; according to Mr. Stu Oltman the clutch fluid level in the reservoir raises as the clutch plates wear. That is opposite of the brake situation. I thought of the GO-JO becasue it was right there on the work bench. Hope the paint is still black when I get home.

prs

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

When Traxxion worked on my bike two years ago theyTRAXXIONIZED and put on new BRAKE PADS. They let a little brake fluid drip on the tank that was not noticed til the next day. We polished with compound the next day(Max helped) it was under the paint. It would not come out. I got a new tank cover

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Post Thanks / Like

I got some brake fluid on the left pocket door and it bleached the surface white. I put some Mother's "BACK TO BLACK" on the spots and it turned the spots black.
    Ron
    2007 Silver ABS
    1991 BMW K75RT ABS
    1956 Harley FL ABS (front wheel only)

Post Thanks / Like

Laen, the "trick" may not work in other colors. I knew it would not buff out or polish out, the Go-Joe is just a slick colloid substance. The fluid had been on mine for at least a day and night too. I just checked the finish again and its still black. The side trim is history, but the panel and faring are servicable (not pristine). So, if Traxxion had done this to me, they would probably insist on supplying new parts. SInce I did it to my own bike, I guess I will accept the depreciation and ride on.

prs

DARKSIDER #1249

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.