Importing a Trailer to Canada
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Importing a Trailer to Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Default Importing a Trailer to Canada

I am considering importing a new cargo trailer to Canada and would like to hear from members who have done this.
    I have searched the boards and found bits of information for different scenarios, but am hoping someone has done what I plan. I will go to the dealer and pick up the trailer (by truck) and bring it back to Canada. I will not be towing the trailer until I have it imported, licensed, and insured.
    I've looked at the RIV website, but don't see anything specific to small trailers.
    What do I need to do before the purchase? Is there anything to do at U.S. Customs? At Canada Customs?

Peter
    2007 GL1800
    2010 Hannigan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I imported my Uni-go trailer a little over a year ago.

In order to qualify for import, the builder must have some form of certification, unfortunately I forget what it's called. You'll have to phone RIV, give them the year, make and model of the trailer, along with the manufacturer's name and address, and they will check the list and inform you if it can be imported.

When you pick it up, you'll need to get a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin, which you'll need when you register it.

You don't have to take it through the US Customs export form process, so that saves a bit of hassle. In BC, no inspection was required either, so that saved time and another trip to Canadian Tire. Check with your provinces DMV, it may be different where you live.

The bad parts is, you do have to pay the $195 (+ tax) RIV fee.

2008 Metallic Red - ABS/Audio/Comfort/Navi
    Darksider #917
    Click here for info on How to Import a Motorcycle from the US into Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I bought an aluma trailer off e-bay and had it shipped to Edmonton by Fed Ex. Fed Ex contacted me and I had to pay GST a small duty fee(73.00) and they charged me 65.00 brokerage fees. By the time it showed up my total cost was 1930.00cdn funds. Registering was snap as they sent the documentation in the mail. I do know that if you personally bring it across the border, Customs mandates the paperwork show up 72 hours BEFORE you do, at whatever crossing you chose.
    I wasn't charged a riv fee, but that might be because I had it shipped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	13630  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz57 View Post
    I bought an aluma trailer off e-bay and had it shipped to Edmonton by Fed Ex. Fed Ex contacted me and I had to pay GST a small duty fee(73.00) and they charged me 65.00 brokerage fees. By the time it showed up my total cost was 1930.00cdn funds. Registering was snap as they sent the documentation in the mail. I do know that if you personally bring it across the border, Customs mandates the paperwork show up 72 hours BEFORE you do, at whatever crossing you chose.
    I wasn't charged a riv fee, but that might be because I had it shipped.
    The 72 hr is for US Customs and you don't need to use them for exporting a trailer. RIV should have charged you though so it looks like you got a good break.

2008 Metallic Red - ABS/Audio/Comfort/Navi
    Darksider #917
    Click here for info on How to Import a Motorcycle from the US into Canada

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever find out just exactly you had to do to import a trailer? I'm looking at doing the same thing so I'd be interested to find out as well.

Wmall
    2007 Dark Red ABS
    -----------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Wmall,

Just what the previous posts have mentioned. I have been considering a Hannigan and when I contacted them they suggested I deal with their Canadian distributer and would be able to get the same price without the hassle of importing myself.
    While that is true, when I add up the options I want and the shipping costs, it's a little more than I want to spend.

I have been looking at Canadian manufacturers and have found a few, Denray, Trekker, and Sarasota that are a bit less costly.

I really like the Hannigan and from what I've read here, it's second only to the Tailwind. I'm just not sure if I want to spend the extra $$.

Either way, when I decide I will likely buy from a Canadian dealer or distributer.

Peter
    2007 GL1800
    2010 Hannigan

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The most cost effective and least paper intensive way to do it is if you come down to the US and pick it up yourself and take it across and clear Canadian customs on your own - which sounds like what you are planning to do.

When we ship to a Canadian customer - we do our best to ship to a terminal or holding facility on the US side of the border. If you as a Canadian want to bring it back yourself you only need 3 pieces of paper to get through Customs and pay your fees and taxes. You will need:
    1) Manufacturer's Statement of Origin
    2) Invoice
    3) Letter of No Recall Clearance

All three of these things should be provided by the dealer you are purchasing from. If you were to buy a used trailer, you would need to contact the trailer manufacturer to get a Letter of No Recall Clearance.

If we as a manufacturer/dealer ship across the border we become an exporter and along with that comes a host of additional fees and paperwork. That is why a lot of the US dealers don't ship across. It saves everyone more than a few bucks.

I have heard from several customers (before they picked up) that they called Canadian Customs and were told they had to give anywhere from 24 - 72 hours notice that they were going to be coming through with a new trailer. I've also heard they were told about submitting preliminary paperwork in advance. But the bottom line is... you show up at Canadian Customs with your trailer and the 3 pieces of documentation mentioned above - pay your fees and head for home.

The dealer you are purchasing from should be able to provide all of the paperwork you will need. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new trailer.

Peggy at Trailmaster
    www.TrailmasterInc.com
    Peggy

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked out Gypsy Trailers? They are a Canadian company located just east of Ottawa, Ontario.
    Quote Originally Posted by 071800 View Post
    Wmall,

Just what the previous posts have mentioned. I have been considering a Hannigan and when I contacted them they suggested I deal with their Canadian distributer and would be able to get the same price without the hassle of importing myself.
    While that is true, when I add up the options I want and the shipping costs, it's a little more than I want to spend.

I have been looking at Canadian manufacturers and have found a few, Denray, Trekker, and Sarasota that are a bit less costly.

I really like the Hannigan and from what I've read here, it's second only to the Tailwind. I'm just not sure if I want to spend the extra $$.

Either way, when I decide I will likely buy from a Canadian dealer or distributer.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trailer import

Just imported one into Canada 3 weeks ago. Its just like PennyJPC stated

You only need to stop at US Customs for motorized vehicles. You stop

at Canadian Customs pay the taxes and then go to C tire and your good to go. If your in BC follow Daddos information its great and helped me considerably. PM me and I'll be happy to give you all my details.

Bob Vancouver Island

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.