Turn Signal
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turn Signal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turn Signal

Were is the turn signal relay on a 1800 located. And how do you get to it?
    Jack & Helen Goddard
    Roy, Utah
    2005 Blue 1800 CSC Trike

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a relay in the turn signals? Or is it just a flasher unit?
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure. When you turn the signal switch either way. Right and left signal lights Both at the same time come on on the dash, same thing happens when you put on the brake. Check all the bulbs. Front signals come on ok. Was using the emergency flasher yesterday for about 15 munutes. Parked it and got cought in heavy rain. It started acting up when I started it up after that. Acts like the Emergency switch is on all the time but It turns off.
    Last edited by Jack M; 08-01-2010 at 11:18 PM.
    Jack & Helen Goddard
    Roy, Utah
    2005 Blue 1800 CSC Trike

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what you are looking for, but you should look at a Honda Electrical Troubleshooting Manual to run this down. I looked at my ETM and found the following:

The "tail relay" is located under the seat just behind the fuel tank sensors (ETM pg 12-6 photo 38. It is the center relay. It supplies power to all the tail lights when the ignition switch is turned on.

The "turn signal relay" is located behind the instrument cluster (ETM pg 12-12 photo 74). I am not sure but I think this is the one that causes the turn signals to blink on and off.

I can't imagine troubleshooting electrical problems without using an ETM. Hope this helps.
    Former MSF/CMSP instructor, IBA#6027
    2005 GL-1800A, Metalic Silver
    Retired in Roseburg, OR

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would start at the emergency flasher switch. take it loose and make sure none of it is still engaged. The brake light part has me confused since the blinkers and the brake lights are not part of the same system like a Ford pickup, (just an example of a shared blinker and brake light system). The brake lights should never cause the turn signal indicator lights on the dash to light up.
    2003 non-ABS
    Ex-Darksider

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack M View Post
    Not sure. When you turn the signal switch either way. Right and left signal lights Both at the same time come on on the dash, same thing happens when you put on the brake. Check all the bulbs. Front signals come on ok. Was using the emergency flasher yesterday for about 15 munutes. Parked it and got cought in heavy rain. It started acting up when I started it up after that. Acts like the Emergency switch is on all the time but It turns off.
    By any chance do you have a hitch with an adapter for your trailer wiring ?
    "If my computer is so smart, why doesn't it know my limitations ?"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lights

Yes I do have wires for a trailer. I took the cover off they look ok. Maybe a place to start with a meter. Thanks. I took the emg flasher switch out and it was clean and dry.
    Jack & Helen Goddard
    Roy, Utah
    2005 Blue 1800 CSC Trike

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If your trailer wiring isolator and/or converter came from Electrical Connections you may want to give them a call. They were having issues with some of those parts fail. That is what I have on my bike and I had to replace one of the two pieces but can't remember which (I am thinking it was the converter). However, when mine failed I had different symptoms than what you have explained.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.