GL1800 headlight bulb life?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GL1800 headlight bulb life?

Post Thanks / Like

Default GL1800 headlight bulb life?

I've got a 2005 GL1800 and I'm having trouble with the life of replacement headlight bulbs. The original bulbs lasted for 4 years but I can't get any (cheap or expensive) replacement bulbs to last more than a few months? I'm very careful not to touch the glass portion of the bulb when I replace it, but it doesn't seem to matter, they still only last a few months. Is this normal for replacement bulbs or is there something else going on here? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

What type of replacement bulbs are you using and are you able to describe the condition of the burnt out units?

SilverStar Ultra and some of the other higher intensity bulbs are known to have a shorter life. The Sylvania folks will even tell you, if you phone them, that they will replace only one pair during their one year warranty. After that, you are on your own.

If the bulb's glass is black or smoky, the failure caused is likely due to the bulb surface being touched, resulting in a hole/crack from the heat.

If the filament has what looks like a drop of solder on it where is is burnt out, it may be a voltage problem - too much or two little.

If the filament has what appears to be a sugar granule like coating, the bulb is old and has likely just burnt through all the hours is had available.

It should also be noted that bulbs become less effective as they age. For this reason, it is suggested to change your bulbs in pairs (both high beams or both low beams). You can then hang onto the old but still working bulb as an emergency replacement.

If you are not getting the life you expect from a bulbs, change brands. Any brand of H7 bulb will fit either the high or low beams so you have lots of choices.

I got about 30,000 miles from my OEM low beams and then only 10-15K from the Sylvania SilverStar Ultras I replaced them with. My high beams on on most of the time, running on a modulator. They are still the OEM bulbs with over 50K on them now.

2008 Metallic Red - ABS/Audio/Comfort/Navi
    Darksider #917
    Click here for info on How to Import a Motorcycle from the US into Canada

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what kind of bulbs have u tried ?

a couple years ago i bought a expensive $50+ pair of PIAA bulbs because some other forum members really liked them, yes they were noticeably brighter and i kinda liked that part but they didn't even last 10,000 miles, i will never buy another PIAA product

different brands of bulbs have different lifetime ratings, i had a set of NAPA bulbs that lasted over 50,000 miles
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

I only use Osram Silverstars available from....
    http://www.casporttouring.com/thestore/osram.html

or from here...

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_de...FQVZiAodVXUA8g

Mine have lasted for years, much better output then OEM and last as long or longer. Do not confuse the Osram Silverstars with the US made Sylvania Silverstars. Sylvania Silverstars have a short life and are problematic.
    Larry Price
    Edgewood, WA

I run Hybrid Tires....
    Front: Bridgestone Exedra G709 130/70R-18
    Rear: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

when folks say a particular bulb lasts years thats great but it really doesn't say much, i talked to a guy yesterday that bought his 05 brandnew and hasn't had even one little issue with it, it had just under 5,000 miles on it yesterday
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

Post Thanks / Like

I got about 85,000 miles out of my original equipment bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered 2 sets of the Osram Silverstars. Hope they last better than what I've been using.

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to clean the bulb with alcohol before installing, even those that are right out of the package. And, do not touch the glass portion with your fingers. Use a clean cloth or papertowel dampened with alcohol. Oil, sweat, or any type of residue on the bulb will shorten its life.
    Gold Wing: 2010 Metallic Red GL18HPNAM
    Rune: 2004 Candy Black Cherry NRX1800EB
    BMW: 2011 Thunder Grey R1200RT
    Road King Classic: 2011 Rootbeer FLHRC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retired guy View Post
    I've got a 2005 GL1800 and I'm having trouble with the life of replacement headlight bulbs. The original bulbs lasted for 4 years but I can't get any (cheap or expensive) replacement bulbs to last more than a few months? I'm very careful not to touch the glass portion of the bulb when I replace it, but it doesn't seem to matter, they still only last a few months. Is this normal for replacement bulbs or is there something else going on here? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
    One thing that causes short headlight bulb life more
    then anything else on the 1800 is a bad battery"

If your battery is weak,bad cell,cell short or even a
    bad cable to the battery will cause headlight bulbs
    to blow...

Good luck,I hope this helps..

Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away...

It doesn't matter where you go in life,it's who you have beside you. and I have the best beside me at all times"

02 1800

Darksider # 222

Falken 195/55-16 bead lock 44PSI
    Full Traxxion

RIP: JPINPA.....ZOOM ZOOM

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I've found any bulb not specifically made for a motorcycle will not last on a motorcycle, so don't buy bulbs at Walmart or Autozone places regardless of brand. I'd just buy the original Honda bulbs.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I get mine with great price and lifetime guarentee from Mr. Saenz!
    Also HAL has them.

Feel free to PM me for more information.
    Last edited by Corventure; 08-30-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Extremely Inquisitive

Post Thanks / Like

Another bulb killer is poor grounds.
    Experience: Where the test is given first and the lessons are learned later!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Price View Post
    I only use Osram Silverstars available from....
    http://www.casporttouring.com/thestore/osram.html

or from here...

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_de...FQVZiAodVXUA8g

Mine have lasted for years, much better output then OEM and last as long or longer. Do not confuse the Osram Silverstars with the US made Sylvania Silverstars. Sylvania Silverstars have a short life and are problematic.
    My right lowbean went out yesterday. Just ordered the Osram's today. Hope they get here before my left lowbeam goes out.

Also, would it be OK, if it doesn't burn out, to keep the working bulb as a spare for emergencies? Or should I just toss it when I pull it out?

Thanks,
    David
    '06 Titanium Navi Goldwing
    IBA# 37560 DS# 591

Get Your FREE TEXAS Travel Guide

Post Thanks / Like

I would keep the working bulb as a spare for emergencies.
    Gold Wing: 2010 Metallic Red GL18HPNAM
    Rune: 2004 Candy Black Cherry NRX1800EB
    BMW: 2011 Thunder Grey R1200RT
    Road King Classic: 2011 Rootbeer FLHRC

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips. Is there a motorcyle specific H7 ? I can get H4 MC specific bulbs at AutoZone, but have not seen such lised on the H7s. I get about 30,000 miles with Low beams and way more with Highs -- since they are almost always off.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

A friends 04 had about 70K on the original bulbs. And when one goes, the other isn't far behind. We were replacing the other one within about 6 months.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.