GL1800Riders Forums banner

Battery Tender Pig Tail

3K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  bluemoose 
#1 ·
Purchased a battery tender and I'm looking for ideas on where other have mounted the pig tail from the battery. Any pictures showing where you mounted yours would be appreciated.

#4 ·
I see a lot of bikes with the pigtail just dangling out of the side cover, but if it were ne, I wuld just use clamps, pop the side cover off, check the cables for corrosion and tightness, and hook up the tender like any other charger.

I just do not like loose econnectors flopping around.

#8 ·
If you have a continuously powered cigarette lighter type socket (like the one lots of folks, including moi, have installed in the upper liner of the trunk), simply put a male cigarette lighter plug on the battery tender pigtail, open the trunk and insert tab "A" into slot "B". No muss, no fuss and NOTHING to show, remove, fish for, etc.

As always, YMMV.

Good luck.

#9 ·
I used to use the cigarette lighter method as described above. That worked really well.

Since I use a Gerbings jacket liner with the plug coming up on front of the seat near the fuel filler door, now I have a male end of a Gerbings connector soldered onto the battery tender. When I get home, I just step off the bike, and plug the tender into the Gerbings plug.

Kurt

#11 ·
I used to use the cigarette lighter method as described above. That worked really well.

Since I use a Gerbings jacket liner with the plug coming up on front of the seat near the fuel filler door, now I have a male end of a Gerbings connector soldered onto the battery tender. When I get home, I just step off the bike, and plug the tender into the Gerbings plug.

Kurt
I have the plug for my heated liner at the same location, but I don't use a battery tender. I drive mine regularly instead. ?
Goldwing sits on a rolling lift in front of the car and makes it out for a drive every chance I can. It only takes a couple of minutes. There is always a day or two I can get it out every month.

#14 ·
I snaked mine through the opening on the side panel and left it there with just enough slack to grab it and connect it. I keep it capped when under way.
Mine is there as well, also I got a usb that plugs into it and run up to the grab handle so my wife can charge her iPhone while we ride :thumbup:

#21 ·
Corbello2012,
Well Sir, sometimes "simple" is just not the right way to go. It all depends on your outlook of " It'll work". I've showed this system that I did, many times on here and, some like it and, some don't. No biggie. It's just an idea for anyone who thinks it may work for them. I used what's called "J-50" electrical connectors (also known as Anderson Connectors) for the entire system. Basically, here it is, in a nutshell.

1. I attached two wires, both 8GA, one red, one black, to the battery terminals. I ran those wires along the frame, tucked in nice and neat, all the way back to the area of the left rear pocket of the trunk. At that point, I drilled that pocket and inserted those wires, through appropriate grommets, into that pocket. I then attached one J-50 connector to them, inside that pocket.

2. Now, I four appliances that I needed to attach the same J-50 plug to. One, was a set of 8GA jumper cables that I built that are 8' long, that I carry on the bike. I installed regular alligator clips on the other ends of those cables.

3. I then installed a J-50 on the leads of my Slime Air compressor that I carry on the bike.

4. I then installed a J-50 on my home-based, battery charger/maintainer.

5. I then installed a 3 socket, 12V power connector base, inside the trunk of the bike. I then drilled the back of the trunk and, ran the wires (12GA) through the back of the trunk and, into the back side of that same pocket. I then installed a J-50 on those 12GA wires.

Now, if and when, I need air for my tires or, anyone elses, I simply pull out my Slime air compressor and, plug into that J-50 in that pocket. If I, or, anyone else, needs a jump, I pull out my set of jumper cables, plug into that J-50 and, the other end goes to whatever or, who ever is either helping me get started or, I'm helping them get started.

Or, if I'm not going to be using the bike for a while, I'll simply plug in that J-50 connector with my battery charger/maintainer. Or, if we're traveling and, our cameras, Cell phones, lap tops, I-pads need charging while we're on the road, I plug the two J-50 connectors together inside that pocket and, I now have three, 12VDC powered sockets in the trunk that I can use simultaneously. I built the same system on my '02 Wing and, it worked flawless on that bike too. Just some ideas here for you to think about.
Scott

#24 ·
I snaked mine through the opening on the side panel and left it there with just enough slack to grab it and connect it. I keep it capped when under way.
+3 (or 4 or whatever number we're on now). I have it sticking out just enough to grab it, but it's not going to get in the way. I don't like the idea of taking off the side cover just to plug in the charger since the tabs on the side covers get broken WAAAAY too easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.