Throttle cable
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Throttle cable

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Throttle cable

I have a 2002 gl1800 and have adjusted to throttle cable to get the delay out of the cruise control. It took a lot of adjustment to get the slack out of the cable and have the cruise where there is very little lag between engaging the cruise. However, I have noticed that there is still a lot of slack in the throttle at the grip and this makes the bike hard to manage at parking lot speed and causes jerky operation of the bike at slow speeds. I don't know how much adjustment is left but do know that I adjusted the cable link quite a ways out. Do I just need to replace the cable or is there another adjustment that I am missing.

Thanks for your help.

Dan Forker

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default throttle cable

You have to adjust the slack for the throttle on the right handle bar. The cruise adjustment is under the shelter . Should take about 3 turns to get the slack out.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan
    The throttle free play is removed by adjusting at the handlebar for small adjustments and it has nothing to do with the cruise. To adjust the cruise cable search this board to find the correct way to adjust the cruise.
    Weapons Tech RCN (Retired)
    "Have Wing Will Travel"

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So what's the recommended way to adjust the handlebar adjustment. I adjusted it tonight after seeing the replies by adjusting the slack out until I was causing the idle speed to increas and then backed it off 1/2 turn. I checked to be sure that there was no increase in idle speed lock to lock on the bars and then tightened the lock nut. What do you think? Is that the best way to adjust the slack?

Dan Forker

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The adjuster at the throttle is for minor adjustments. For major adjustments, the adjuster is on the LF outer frame rail about 3" above the upper front corner of the left radiator.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, not sure how much you have ridden but the Wing is not a bike you can control without some finesse of the throttle/clutch management. The best way to get a handle on this is parking lot practice (PLP). The engine has too much response (i.e. power) to achieve smoothness at low speeds. I have not heard of anyone having to replace a throttle cable on the 1800. When you get the bike moving you can go to third gear and never have to touch the throttle. This is a good way to get your handling of slow turns down pat and get a feel for the bikes slow speed capabilities. hth

Post Thanks / Like

On the 02 the main adjustment is on the throttle cable and is routed to the right side of the bike right under the meter panel. Remove the meter panel and you will find an adjustment , I think 10 mm and 8 mm, for the adjuster. Might be 10 and 12 mm, cannot remember.

Take the most of it out there and then fine tune it with the bar adjustment.

You want a little bit of play, maybe 1/8 inch and also turn the bars lock to lock and make sure the throttle does not increase as you do so.

Kit

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure why this sequence works for me, but I enjoy one of the best functioning cruise controls on a GL18 IF reports on this board are accurate. I adjust the throttle play to its minimum BEFORE taking the slack out of the cruise cable. I set the cruise cable by its little "bomb sight" and not by turning out the turn buckle by several guesstimate turns. All of that may be folly, I dunno for sure; but I have no lag, I have discernible overshoot or undershoot. Freedon of undershoot seems to be rare on these bikes.

I suggest accessing the main or major throttle adjuster simply by sitting down at the front of the bike and reaching back through the LEFT hand "tunnel". It resides just behind the left fork. The access is easy, plus there is opportunity to make sure this section of cable is not kinked. It is very subject to kinking here and several of us have saved or extended the life of said cable by providing an extra stay to keep its bend more gentle.

To adjust the major adjuster; FIRST thread the minor adjuster all the way in THEN take up the slack with the major adjsuter. You want just enough free plat to assure that stop to stop handlebar motion does not raise idle. A sloppy throttle adjustment definitely does make slow manuevers more difficult or clumbsy.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are all lot's of help and I really appreciate that. One thing that I have discovered is that the major adjuster must have changed location from the earlier models to the later. My 1800 is an '02 model and there is no adjuster behind the left fork nor below that instrument panel as described in some of the replies. Any one know where it is located on an '02 and how much tupperware needs to be removed to get to it?

Dan Forker

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry, I do not have half a brain sometimes. The adjustment at the meter panel and across the steering head is a place you can adjust the cruise if you wish.

The actual throttle lays as seen in the photos. First photo is what you are after.

Kit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cablelay.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	19529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruise cable.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	19530  

Post Thanks / Like

Dan
    They are all the same from 01 to 09. For small adjustments of the throttle you use the adjuster at the handlebar and for big adjustments you use the adjuster that is just above the left radiator. (need to remove main fairing to access) I adjusted mine to just increase rpm and backed off turn, I prefer a little bit of slack.
    The cruise adjuster is located just to the right and below of the ignition switch. On the 02 you can access it with just the dash cover removed, tight but can be done. It's wide open access if the top shelter is off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cruise adjust.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	19531  
    Last edited by Cal-D; 09-29-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Weapons Tech RCN (Retired)
    "Have Wing Will Travel"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.