GL1800Riders Forums banner

Profiles filled out?

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Doug S. 
#1 ·
I have enjoyed clicking on profiles of people on this forum but so many have barely filled theirs out. It would be great if more participants would give a little info about themselves. It would add to the interesting things you have done and a way to better know who you are. It also would be super if you would put the city and state you are in in the avator info because it makes more sense when you talk about a particular ride or locale that you might mention in your post.

Not sure if it is laziness or fear of revealing too much about yourself that prevents it.

#2 ·
Wasn't it you that asked me how I got my name and were in for a bit of a shock when I told you...:lol:

But I agree with what you are saying. I find it helpful to read a profile before making judgment on people solely by their post. Some folks from my area myself in particular are not the best with spelling and grammar. Others just seem to be rude when they really aren't trying to be they just weren't privileged enough to have been raised in the south.

All I can say is Thank God for spell checkers!

#3 ·
Profiles to me help me make a judgement on how to reply to a post....

if I don't know where you are, why should I waste time trying to help find a shop that can fix your bike?
If your location is not listed, I won't even bother to reply to the post...

A full profile can be very useful and still not reveal your most intimate secrets :eek:4:

location and bike model at a minimum should be required just to register on the forum

I just looked at my listing under the Avatar and none of that info shows there,
only my signature is showing my ride.

something amiss there.

#5 ·
I think many of us have learned just how private info is used in negative manners and are very hesitant to list a lot of info about ourselves. I do agree on the location being nice to know and I really don't see how that is too revealing.

#11 ·
Interesting thread. It just goes to show how different the methods are of using this site. I have never really paid much attention to profiles.

I usually just look in a person's signature line for the year of bike they have. If a question depends on the year and it isn't there or the poster doesn't mention it, I don't respond. If someone needs help, they need to do their part.

Privacy is indeed part of it. People are too casual about their privacy online. If I had known I would be around this board this long 13 years ago, I would have chosen a different screen name. I have a very small online footprint. I don't have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media account. Location tracking is turned off on my smart phone, and my privacy app has everything locked down. I lose some features, but giving up my privacy isn't worth it.

#12 ·
If I filled mine out, I would be found out and get arrested! :lol:

#16 ·
OK, I checked out a number of profiles, and did find it interesting, so I went and updated my profile. Now nobody will come near me when they find out what I do for a living. :lol:

Oh, so it was one of your Bounty Hunter buddies that came to my door last night? :joke:

I like your resume, I need to put mine up also, been an Electronics Tech since 1958, retired in Dec 2010.... oil companies bounced me around a lot, worked for a school district, retired from Phx Fire Dept in the 911 support group.

#17 ·
For the newbies and Internet challenged, there is a little yellow pencil next to each category that you can click to update....

no hi- viz clothing needed for LarryM! Now we know why you are so bright.

(Aren't you glad you shared?)

:thumbup:

#18 ·
Don't know where or how, but a category in the profiles for name or avatar explanation would also be interesting....?

Mine: short preacher.

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.