Northern Calif. suggestions
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Northern Calif. suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northern Calif. suggestions

I am planning our trip for next October and need some info. I will be leaving lake tahoe area and want to go up to crater lake before coming back down to Crescent city and hitting the 101 south. Any suggestions for routes! I don't do interstates if possible and the twistier the better. I don't want to do it in one day so I will need to split it into two days of riding so I will need to stay one night along the way. Any ideas! Thanks

05 GL1800 with R&R racing custom front suspension w/traxxion triple tree & Traxxion Penske rear shock
    2011 FE390 Husaberg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

If I was going to do it, I take highway 89 all the way to Mt. Shasta.. Then I5 to Weed and 97 to Klamath Falls.. From Klamath Falls to 62 and that will get you to Crater Lake.. You can ride around the whole lake.. Do the lake thing and get back on 62 to 234 and head for Grant Pass.. 199 will take you to 101 and Crescent City.. In Crescent City all the way out to the end of the harbor is 1 of the best seafood restaurant on the coast..
    It's all great bike road.. The only boring part is From CA boarded to highway 62.. To do this in 2 days you'd have to ride your butt off..
    If you're coming down the coast, on 101, Turn at Leggett.. That's the beginning of Coastal Highway 1.. You can ride 1 to San Diego.. That will the most scenic and fun highway you'll ever get to ride...........

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks foodman. That is the route that I had planned with the intent of staying the night in Mt. Shasta and then doing crater lake the next day and then ending that day down in crescent city. Do you think that is doable! That is about 300 miles each day which should not be a problem. Any comments!

05 GL1800 with R&R racing custom front suspension w/traxxion triple tree & Traxxion Penske rear shock
    2011 FE390 Husaberg

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ya 300 a day is doable.. It's twisty all the way but about 80/90 miles.. You don't want to blast though.. You want to enjoy the ride.. Lots to see.. Mt Lassen can take some time.. It's kind of a mini Yellowstone.. Crater Lake can take a couple hours if you go all the way around.. The ride out to Grants Pass is twisty and cage traffic can slow you down.. The ride to the coast is great..
    Mt Shasta is getting to be like a resort.. A real nice golf course there that brings in lots of people.. It'll be cheaper to stay in Dunsmuir or Weed, just a few miles down the road..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
    Oh ya 300 a day is doable.. It's twisty all the way but about 80/90 miles.. You don't want to blast though.. You want to enjoy the ride.. Lots to see.. Mt Lassen can take some time.. It's kind of a mini Yellowstone.. Crater Lake can take a couple hours if you go all the way around.. The ride out to Grants Pass is twisty and cage traffic can slow you down.. The ride to the coast is great..
    Mt Shasta is getting to be like a resort.. A real nice golf course there that brings in lots of people.. It'll be cheaper to stay in Dunsmuir or Weed, just a few miles down the road..
    not only the cage traffic, but there are some logging trucks on that road really hauling a$$. True the cars will be more likely to slow down, but lots of trucks there too.
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

Post Thanks / Like

thanks foodman for the suggestions. I think now I will do it in three days with overnights at Weed and Grants pass. That will give me the third day to go to the coast and enjoy the redwood forest and also give me more time on the second day for Crator lake.

2011 FE390 Husaberg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikej55 View Post
    thanks foodman for the suggestions. I think now I will do it in three days with overnights at Weed and Grants pass. That will give me the third day to go to the coast and enjoy the redwood forest and also give me more time on the second day for Crator lake.
    On Your Calif Map lok for the towns of Hayfork, Peanut, Happy Camp, Red Bluff, Weaverville, Eureka, Hiway 3, Hiway 36, Ave of the Giants ANYTHING In that area is worth your drive across country to expierence just make sure you bring clean underwear for after your ride!
    A 3 Hour (2.5 Mile) Tour
    Just PassinThru

All on a 1984 Yamaha Venture (GW1800 Wannabe)

Post Thanks / Like

How are you coming into Lake Tahoe and which way are you going when you get to the coast ??

Post Thanks / Like

I did that area , last september. Most likley my best bike trip ever.

I went along 1 and 101 from la area, north to crescent city to grants pass, crater lake, lake tahoe, east side of yosemite, and over tioga, to sequoia, kings canyon, and barstow and home.

Ave of the giants is nice, the road from crescent city to grants pass through the big trees was also real nice. Crater lake is soemthing else, I never saw that color before, water color that is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foodman View Post
    <...>Turn at Leggett.. That's the beginning of Coastal Highway 1.. You can ride 1 to San Diego.. That will the most scenic and fun highway you'll ever get to ride...........
    ...and, IMHO, it really ends at Santa Monica. Anything further south is waaaaay too much traffic to be useful.

● DS #512 ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Search Problems? Try this with Google: <search term> site:gl1800riders.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwthom View Post
    ...and, IMHO, it really ends at Santa Monica. Anything further south is waaaaay too much traffic to be useful.
    Very true

I caught the pch at santa barbara, from hughes lake road

I didnt care to waste a day in traffic, and see very little, cutting north any further south of that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Default CA. ride

As a continuation of my ride thru NM, CO, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, CA, AZ, NM again & back home to Texas this past summer, I rode the 101 from WA State to Leggett, CA. But I did take a side road (Hwy 254 that is thru the Humboldt Redwoods, really nice, 32 miles long of which follows Hwy 101).

From Leggett to Westport, Ca. it is only 28-29 miles and mapquest states it will only take about 54 minutes. I was still riding after 1:30 hrs because of riding the unknown twisties, traffic (only a few of logging trucks of which haul butt and will ride your butt, pulled over to let them pass). The ride to San Francisco was great only a small amount of construction and light traffic. But the Ride from San Fran. to LA had tons of traffic.

I was frustrated with the traffic but went ahead and finished at the Santa Monica Pier.
    Darksider #878
    2008 Pearl White
    2009 Aluma MCXTL
    Dble Drk: Frt.- BTX 45 & Rear - Kumho 195/55
    2003 VTX 1800R - custom paint/maximum chrome

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a really neat alternate route, from I-5 to the coast. I did this in the 4runner last year, and can't wait to go back on the bike... Use of GPS is highly recommended, due to lack of road signs. It's paved all the way, just remember that (eg At any junction, pick the road that's asphault). Very twisty, and scenic... several neat campgrounds between Powers and the coast.

Google maps does not show it as a continuous road, but it is.

1st section: Glendale > 1/2 way to Powers
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.837021&z=11

2nd section: ...the rest of the way to Powers
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...7,0.41851&z=12

Here's a write-up of the trip, same as above: "Glendale to Powers":
    http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/ridepage.php?page=powers
    "I void warranties"

-Piaggio MP3-500, Darkside: NOKIAN 155/65/R14, 35 psi
    -GL1500 (1990 & 2000SE's):
    Rear: Darkside 175/60/16 Dunlop Wintersport ROF, 41psi
    Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi

"Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin"

KJ6QFZ
    Dark Side #590,

Post Thanks / Like

Your right about Santa Monica.. Personal I'd cut off around Morro Bay and head for Yosemite and Tioga Pass..
    That's why I asked how he got there and which way he was going...... The other question is what's Mikes time frame.....

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am planning our trip for next October and need some info. I will be leaving lake tahoe area and want to go up to crater lake before coming back down to Crescent city and hitting the 101 south. Any suggestions for routes! I don't do interstates if possible and the twistier the better. I don't want to do it in one day so I will need to split it into two days of riding so I will need to stay one night along the way. Any ideas! Thanks
    I hope you're going in the early part of October. Too late in the month and you might be getting some of the white stuff.
    Lynn Dimick

07 Blue Airbag Darksider #137, IBA #33527, SS1000 BBG1500, AMA

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on doing this trip beginning around the 8th of October and ending around the 25th. I will be coming into Calif. on I-40 to Bakersfield. From there I will be headed north up through Sequoia, kings canyon and yosemite. I will then be criss crossing Hwy 120, 108, 4 before hitting 89 north up to Lake Tahoe. I will then continue up 89 to crater lake and then head to the coast on 62, and 199. I will come down 101 and 1 to Morro bay and then head back east to I-40. How does that sound! I should be able to make it back down to Hwy 1 by about the 18th and avoid the white stuff to the north. I have read where they (usually) do not start getting snow until at least the end of October but I do realize that in the upper passes you can see snow in July, been there done that! I just don't like riding and traveling when its above 85 degrees and so that is why I am doing this in October. I don't like the 105 degs. (hairblower heat in your face) driving across country from Florida to the west coast during the summer. Done that too! Any other must see places I need to know about! Thanks

2011 FE390 Husaberg

Post Thanks / Like

...some more places to consider:

Carson City: Neat old west mining/ghost town; great ride
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...5&ie=UTF8&z=10

...and on the 199 (Redwoods Hwy), there's a neat Tree House B&B
    http://treehouses.com/

...and Check out Ferndale: A neat Victorian town.

...From Ferndale there is Matole Road ("Old Coast Hwy")... a bit roughly paved, but an awesome ride through the most incredible variation in scenery.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.663055&z=10

...and this section of Hwy-1 is THE best road on the entire coast for scenery:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.663055&z=10

...When in Fort Bragg, be sure to stop at "Piaci Pub & Pizzeria", for insanely great grub and beer.
    Last edited by ALEXB; 12-06-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    "I void warranties"

KJ6QFZ
    Dark Side #590,

Post Thanks / Like

Crater lake in October may not be navigable on a MC.
    "From October to June, Crater Lake National Park is a snow-covered wilderness. November through April is assuredly snowy with poor
    visibility and fair to poor driving conditions, but wonderful skiing and snowshoeing opportunities."
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 Red level 3

Post Thanks / Like

Alexb, I plan on spending a day in the Tahoe area and Carson city and Virginia city are on my see list. Heck, I might even stop in at the Ponderosa and see the Cartwrights!

2011 FE390 Husaberg

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crater Lake

Quote Originally Posted by glarson3 View Post
    Crater lake in October may not be navigable on a MC.
    "From October to June, Crater Lake National Park is a snow-covered wilderness. November through April is assuredly snowy with poor
    visibility and fair to poor driving conditions, but wonderful skiing and snowshoeing opportunities."
    This picture was taken Sept 8 at Crater Lake.

That white stuff isn't lint on my camera lense.
    Last edited by Richard Clem; 11-30-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add
    DS#809

Post Thanks / Like

Mike
    All I can say is you've planed your trip well.. You are going to see and ride some awesome country.. Our Sierras and coast are some of the best anywhere in the country.........

Post Thanks / Like

Alexb, I plan on spending a day in the Tahoe area and Carson city and Virginia city are on my see list. Heck, I might even stop in at the Ponderosa and see the Cartwrights!
    How many days are you allotting for this trip? Sounds like you got the best of California covered.
    The Ponderosa used to be a fun little tourist trap, but has been closed for awhile now. I am glad I got to go while it was open.
    Virginia City is a blast. Hwy 431 being the most fun way to get there from Lake Tahoe.

I dub thee, Killer Tomato

Post Thanks / Like

My only comment would be to make sure the other bike you are going with also came to ride the area. Going alone you won't have any problem !
    Robert
    2012 Hayabusa Sport Tourer
    'Nam Infantry Vet '70-'71
    IBA 27886
    N7SLD

Post Thanks / Like

I am figuring about 3 weeks total for this trip. It will take 4 days out and 4 days back. That gives me roughly 12-14 days in California. Can't wait!

2011 FE390 Husaberg

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave - Yuma, AZ USA
    Post Thanks / Like

The Ponderosa Ranch was closed September 26, 2004. It will not reopen, and it is fenced off so you can't even look around anymore.

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/ponderosa.html
    '04 Titanium ABS
    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16
    Bridgestone BT-45 130/70-18
    Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
    Free Grazer
    IBA #22990
    NRA, Elks, and too many others

Post Thanks / Like

I am figuring about 3 weeks total for this trip. It will take 4 days out and 4 days back. That gives me roughly 12-14 days in California. Can't wait!
    I am not sure why you want to go into Bakersfield, but if it were me, I would head north from Kingman bypass Las Vegas on 146 to 160 and through Red Rock Canyon and then to Pahrump, spend the night there and at day break head out through Death Valley.
    There are stretches between Pahrump and Panamont Springs where you will be able to make up for any lost time.
    http://goo.gl/maps/ZcSN
    Red Rock Canyon is well worth the trip. And I always enjoy traveling through Death Valley.
    There are several members in the Vegas area that I am sure would love to have a cup of joe with you and perhaps guide you around the rush hour traffic. Also a member in Pahrump that would talk your ear off given the chance. And knows where all the best meal deals are.
    Nice guys, these forum members.
    Whatever way you go, it sounds like you are going to have the ride of your life.

I dub thee, Killer Tomato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Tom View Post
    I am not sure why you want to go into Bakersfield, but if it were me, I would head north from Kingman bypass Las Vegas on 146 to 160 and through Red Rock Canyon and then to Pahrump, spend the night there and at day break head out through Death Valley.
    There are stretches between Pahrump and Panamont Springs where you will be able to make up for any lost time.
    http://goo.gl/maps/ZcSN
    Red Rock Canyon is well worth the trip. And I always enjoy traveling through Death Valley.
    There are several members in the Vegas area that I am sure would love to have a cup of joe with you and perhaps guide you around the rush hour traffic. Also a member in Pahrump that would talk your ear off given the chance. And knows where all the best meal deals are.
    Nice guys, these forum members.
    Whatever way you go, it sounds like you are going to have the ride of your life.
    > I would modify that route slightly, to go through Oatman AZ and Nipton AZ.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.783905&z=10

> Oatman has a neat route-66 type road both going in and out of it, and is also a fun destination. (No lodging, or decent food though)
    > Nipton is a 2-horse town, but a Great destination for overnight camping. Great restaurant too (amazingly!)
    http://www.nipton.com/

"I void warranties"

KJ6QFZ
    Dark Side #590,

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northern Calif. suggestions

You may want to do some web searching on weather conditions and road closures for Crater Lake and Tioga Pass in Oct. They may not be passable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXB View Post
    > <...>Oatman has a neat route-66 type road both going in and out of it, and is also a fun destination. (No lodging, or decent food though)
    Not that far from Laughlin, NV - plenty there, and at times, cheap, too!

● DS #512 ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Search Problems? Try this with Google: <search term> site:gl1800riders.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.