Problem with heated clothing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with heated clothing

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem with heated clothing

I just bought a new gerbing's heated jacket liner. I wanted the remote heat controller so I bought the warm N safe remote controller and warm N save advertises the thinnest gloves. So I bought them also. But the gloves are not getting warm.
    I have checked voltage on the plugs coming out of the jacket liner and they check out fine. Also check continuity in both plugs on the gloves and they check ok.
    Any suggestions on what the problem could be. Sure hate spending the money on new heated gloves and not having any heat....
    Thanks
    Brad

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradsmith View Post
    I just bought a new gerbing's heated jacket liner. I wanted the remote heat controller so I bought the warm N safe remote controller and warm N save advertises the thinnest gloves. So I bought them also. But the gloves are not getting warm.
    I have checked voltage on the plugs coming out of the jacket liner and they check out fine. Also check continuity in both plugs on the gloves and they check ok.
    Any suggestions on what the problem could be. Sure hate spending the money on new heated gloves and not having any heat....
    Thanks
    which controller did you buy? Single or dual? if you bought the single you need to put in a splitter to make it drive the liner and gloves...... If you bought the dual you should be attaching one channel to the liner's white plug and the other to the aux connector which is connected to the glove connectors at the ends of the sleeves.....
    Keep it breezy...
    P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.
    Current rides:
    MMX Honda Gold Wing VIIA, Titanium & '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)
    Darksider #1443, as Joun Cafferty wrote "The dark side's callin' now Nothin' is real"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
    which controller did you buy? Single or dual? if you bought the single you need to put in a splitter to make it drive the liner and gloves...... If you bought the dual you should be attaching one channel to the liner's white plug and the other to the aux connector which is connected to the glove connectors at the ends of the sleeves.....
    Exactly!

Read this FAQ on the Gerbing's website. It should answer all of your questions.

http://gerbing.com/Info/FAQ.php
    Bartman

Sent from a computer that belongs to your wife/girlfriend!

2006 Premium Audio

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dual controler

Sorry I didn't say which controller. I have the dual remote controller from First Gear which is made by warm N safe. One plug on the main circuit and the other on the glove circuit. Gloves don't work. Im thinking about just changing the two plugs around and see if the gloves will heat up and maybe not the liner.

Thanks for the reply's so far.
    Brad

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

you might try plugging each of the gloves to each of the controllers channels and see if neither, one or both gloves heat..... if so, it might be a problem with the aux channel in the liner.

Another thing, how much time are you giving the gloves to warm up???? if the are not Gerbing micro wire technology, they might take longer to warm up than the jacket liner.......

my jacket liner and gloves both have the micro wire technology and both heat up almost instantly...... really nice.
    Keep it breezy...
    P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.
    Current rides:
    MMX Honda Gold Wing VIIA, Titanium & '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)
    Darksider #1443, as Joun Cafferty wrote "The dark side's callin' now Nothin' is real"

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Did you check the fuse????? Replace with a new one 15amp. no higher!!!
    or clean the one you have.
    Jim

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

James, If the fuse were blown the nothing would heat up. The liner heats up fine.
    KiteSquid you may have a point but last night I rode 40 miles in below 30 temps. The gloves never got warm.
    The first gear remote dual controller has two plugs on it. One is gray and one black. The best I can figure out is the gray plug is the main power for the liner and the black one for the other circuit. But they can be plugged into either plug on the gerbing's liner. So I went out and changed the plugs around and the liner will still heat up but the gloves didn't. I am fixing to go for a ride and the temp is about 50 right now. I didn't wait very long when I changed the plugs around for the gloves to heat up as Kite said they aren't gerbings gloves but are First gear made by warm n safe. According to the warm and safe web site they don't have the micro wire but something similar and are supposed to heat up pretty quick. I will test this while riding. I will post again later with the results.
    Thanks everyone
    Brad

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Did you sync your controller,, did you watch the video?????????

That's your problem.
    Jim

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If he didn't sync the controller to the receiver, I doubt the liner would be heating up.
    I would replace the gloves.

later..Randy
    later...Randy

2005 Goldwing Dark Gray Metallic... It's Gone To A New Owner.

...GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTHEWIND View Post
    If he didn't sync the controller to the receiver, I doubt the liner would be heating up.
    I would replace the gloves.

later..Randy
    It looks like to me you have to turn it on and off a few times with the red light to active yellow when the yellow light starts to flash then it becomes a dual controller...
    Jim

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv5fzjqVkjY"][/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrnxKeRUDbw&feature=related[/ame]

later..Randy
    Last edited by INTHEWIND; 12-06-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    later...Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Default trouble with heated clothing

Maybe I am not getting it straight or I am just plain ignorant, but it sounds like you bought Gerbing heated clothing and then bought a controller from Warm and Safe. Did I get that right? Why on earth would you not buy the controllers from Gerbing?, which of course are made for and by Gerbing and will work right out of the box!!
    Andy
    Wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat.
    03-1800 ABS, modulted headlights, Back Off brake lights,fog lights on all the time, PIAA driving lights, Muth signal mirrors,loud aftermarket horns.
    Awaiting crash and burn fiery death caused by runflat rear car tire.

IBA 41956 DS446

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    Maybe I am not getting it straight or I am just plain ignorant, but it sounds like you bought Gerbing heated clothing and then bought a controller from Warm and Safe. Did I get that right? Why on earth would you not buy the controllers from Gerbing?, which of course are made for and by Gerbing and will work right out of the box!!
    Andy
    Andy,
    The controller from WARM AND SAFE works great with the GERBING CLOTHING.

It eliminates 2 wires tethered to your bike and gives you alot more freedom.

I love my wireless controller and would recommend it over the Gerbing made in china POS..

later..Randy
    Last edited by INTHEWIND; 12-06-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    later...Randy

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Andy
    I bought the warm and safe because I wanted the remote control controller. Gerbing's doesn't have one. As Inthwind says it is supposed to work fine. I posted earlier that I would switch the connections on the liner and see if the gloves would warm up. They didn't but the controller works because hooked up with the grey wire on the second circuit the yellow knob on the controller controlled the liner instead of the red knob. I believe Inthwind has the correct answer I have ordered a set of the gerbing's gloves and will try them. Hope they work ok.

Thanks everyone
    Brad

Post Thanks / Like

Inthewind, what two wires does the remote controller eliminate? the Gerbing clothing still has to get connected to the 12 volts of the bike. My gerbing controllers are hard wired into the bike and that still only gives two wires connecting the garment to the bike. Where is the advantage of the remote controller? I dont want to be argumentative, but I just dont see any advantage to having a controller in your pocket that might get lost, has to be accessed with clumsy gloves compared to two knobs mounted solidly to the bike. Please explain.
    thanks
    Andy
    03-1800 ABS, modulted headlights, Back Off brake lights,fog lights on all the time, PIAA driving lights, Muth signal mirrors,loud aftermarket horns.

IBA 41956 DS446

Post Thanks / Like

Inthewind, what two wires does the remote controller eliminate? the Gerbing clothing still has to get connected to the 12 volts of the bike. My gerbing controllers are hard wired into the bike and that still only gives two wires connecting the garment to the bike. Where is the advantage of the remote controller? I dont want to be argumentative, but I just dont see any advantage to having a controller in your pocket that might get lost, has to be accessed with clumsy gloves compared to two knobs mounted solidly to the bike. Please explain.
    thanks
    Andy
    Well, in my case it was cash. I could not afford the remotes and I have Gerbings from the '90s which have different connectors. Like you, I don't find the non-remote troublesome at all. in fact, my controller is "remote" it being velcro attached to my jacket with the power wire going to the same connector as my battery tender which has the same connector my old Gerbs employ.

KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Post Thanks / Like

I have the remote control also. I was disappointed in my Warm and Safe Gloves as they were just a little warm and never got hot. I had the control wide open and they were just getting a little warm. What I found.....when you sync the controller, you have to sync both sides, not just the one. I went back and re-synced the controller and made sure I did both. Now the gloves get warm enough I have to turn them down, but......they are slower warm up compared to the Gen4 liner, which is almost instant heat. I ride about 15 miles to work and the gloves just start getting warm by the time I get to work. My hands are not cold, but just not really feeling a lot of heat.
    YMMV
    James

01 Illusion Red GL1800 Race Tech
    2003 Hannigan Europa

Dunlop 175/60/16 Wintersport
    ATGATT Because walking away in disgust is better than riding away in an ambulance!
    www.grahampage.info

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasted my money on Widder electric gloves w/thermostat years ago... they only got slightly warm and were more trouble then they were worth due to their bulk and the wiring. Widder claimed it was because I ordered them one size too large, but wouldn't exchange them without considerable cost to me.

I have put off going to plug-in clothing like Gerbing's today due to that experience, and the high cost. I have a relatively short commute to work each morning, and layering-up works fine... on the hands, silk glove liners under tight-knit liners with snowmobile gloves. Total cost: $22.

I will probably bite and go plug-in the next time I plan an out-of-state trip during the winter; perhaps next year.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    Andy
    I have the dual wired jacket liner, the receiver is in the left jacket pocket, small and lightweight, plugged into the 2 jacks that control the gloves and pants.

That leaves 1 12 VDC connection to the jacket, that pigtail is under the seat on the left side.

The dual controller transmitter is on a ram mount on the left side clutch/handlebar bracket.
    This allows very easy access for temp adjustments.
    When I dismount, there is only 1 wire to unplug from the jacket and the controller stays on the bike.

later..Randy
    later...Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Default trouble with heated clothing

Inthewind; from what you describe about your setup, the receiver is plugged into the connector in the jacket where the pants liner would plug into and my understanding then is that you cant plug in pants liner or the Y connector that operates the heated socks or boot liner. Did I miss something again??
    By the way, Gerbing replaced my old [last generation] jacket liner when I sent it in for repairs with the new generation microwire jacket liner and I dont like it anywhere near as much as the older jacket liner, which gave a more uniform and wider area coverage of heat. Also the jacket is not as long even though the label reads M L L and the heating pad on the back leaves the lower six inches of my back unheated. I called them and for $75 they will add an extra heating pad at the lower end of the back. I will send it back next summer as I need the jacket liner for my upcoming winter trips. The new generation jacket heats up faster, but overall I dont like it as well. All change is not necessarily progress.
    I also have the pants liner and they will relocate some of the heating panels to suite my my particular needs. I have no complaints about their customer support, I just think they missed the boat in the new generation jacket design and suspect they skimped to keep from raising the cost.
    Andy

IBA 41956 DS446

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The remote heat troller was designed to replace the Semi Mounted unit. Less wires is good! Not everyone wants to use a permanent mount on their bike. W & S has portable, remote monyed, and permanent mounted heat trollers
    It's very portable if you want to use it on another bike, atv, snowmobile etc. All you need is a extra battery harness
    It's also made to fit & be installed inside the Gen 4 liners. There's a special pocket for it.
    You don't have to unhook it even if you wash the liner!
    Then you only have 1 plug to connect to the battery harness for power. Everything is out of the way.
    The control knob box can be mounted or placed anywhere you want.
    It's a neat setup.

thanks
    Andy
    Last edited by tourman; 12-09-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bypass everything and plug the gloves in without a controller. If the gloves don't heat up, there is no chance they will do it through the controller.

I just received my 3rd Gerbings "full monty" over-gear purchase bought as a birthday/Christmas gift for a co-worker who is getting up in his years (he retired from DuPont but still likes to work). As much as he loves to ride and as much as he does ride, I figured the best gift he could get would to be able to ride more months out of the remaining riding years he has left. Due to poor circulation, he couldn't take the cold like he could in his younger days. He is a big ole boy at 6'4" and still much a man at his age (the XXXL gloves where tight on his hands) and I thought he was going to tear up...the proverbial "gentle giant". He didn't see a heated suit as much as he saw what it represents....more time doing what he loves the most. From the time we opened the box until the time he was sitting on his bike (UltraClassic) feeling electric heat all over was less than 5 minutes...that included trimming the Size 12-16 insoles to a mere 14.

I always recommend the portable controller (from Gerbing) especially for those that have multiple bikes. I use wiring armor over the two leads that go from the controller to the jacket "manifold" where they appear/act as one wire and they, as well as the controller, stay connected to the jacket at all times. Then, you are only dealing with one wire to plug/unplug while mounting or dismounting.

I don't want to say anything bad about Warm&Safe as my only experience with them was a pair of heated socks that fell apart while putting them on for the first time but I can see where it would be hard to make a good heated sock...maybe why Gerbing got out of it. But, I can't say enough good things about Gerbing (products & service).

As for the "remote control" controller and considering as much as I like electrical goodies on my bike, I don't think that I have ever been riding down the road in heated gear and said to myself "boy, this controller is a PIA, it sure would be nice if that controller was remote". Just don't have to adjust the settings that much. But, YMMV.

Controller I use on the older Union Ridge. Good gear, even when un-plugged.

Although probably not recommended, I leave the gloves (G3's) attached most of the time. Can get in or out of the suit PDQ especially when food is involved.

Second controller used for liners or on the rare, cold occation...a passenger.

Run the liners under a Roadcrafter or TourMaster armored suits. The heat from the liners is almost instant compared to the over-gear but provides little insulation. It over-comes the cold with raw amperage. Dressing is a little more involved...putting on liner, putting on over-gear while insuring glove leads make it out the sleeve, threading cords through pockets, etc. My preferred hook-up on cold, long-haul days.

If I had to complain about anything Gerbing related, it would be the insoles. They have alot in common with heated grips, whereas, the top of your foot may be cold while the bottom is frying. Still better than no heat at all in the general foot vicinity.

Gerbings has done more for my year-round riding than anything, by far. Not an inkling of a problem out of 4 set-ups....nada.

Z

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Inthewind; from what you describe about your setup, the receiver is plugged into the connector in the jacket where the pants liner would plug into and my understanding then is that you cant plug in pants liner or the Y connector that operates the heated socks or boot liner. Did I miss something again??
    By the way, Gerbing replaced my old [last generation] jacket liner when I sent it in for repairs with the new generation microwire jacket liner and I dont like it anywhere near as much as the older jacket liner, which gave a more uniform and wider area coverage of heat. Also the jacket is not as long even though the label reads M L L and the heating pad on the back leaves the lower six inches of my back unheated. I called them and for $75 they will add an extra heating pad at the lower end of the back. I will send it back next summer as I need the jacket liner for my upcoming winter trips. The new generation jacket heats up faster, but overall I dont like it as well. All change is not necessarily progress.
    I also have the pants liner and they will relocate some of the heating panels to suite my my particular needs. I have no complaints about their customer support, I just think they missed the boat in the new generation jacket design and suspect they skimped to keep from raising the cost.
    Andy
    No, everything works exactly like the Gerbing controller, but it's wireless.

1 wire hanging from your jacket, nice!!

later..Randy
    later...Randy

Post Thanks / Like

I haven seen it say you tried, but have you plugged the gloves in WITHOUT the liner between the plug and gloves? This will tell you if its in the liner or the gloves.

Try this without the liner and see if they work
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE." Unknown

08 ABS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You need the Y connector to do that!!!!!!!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
    Run the liners under a Roadcrafter or TourMaster armored suits. The heat from the liners is almost instant compared to the over-gear but provides little insulation. It over-comes the cold with raw amperage. Dressing is a little more involved...putting on liner, putting on over-gear while insuring glove leads make it out the sleeve, threading cords through pockets, etc. My preferred hook-up on cold, long-haul days.

I avoid the "additional" setup time by just leaving my electric liners (jacket and pants) inside my riding gear. I basically treat the liners just as a "permanent" liner in the jacket. No worries about getting the wires out of the sleeve or hooking up the portable controller. It's all set to go. I just throw on the jacket (heated liner plus jacket liner plus jacket) and the pants (heated pant liner plus overpants).

If you have mutliple cold weather riding suits, this setup wouldn't really work but I have only one riding suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
    If I had to complain about anything Gerbing related, it would be the insoles. They have alot in common with heated grips, whereas, the top of your foot may be cold while the bottom is frying. Still better than no heat at all in the general foot vicinity.

Gerbings has done more for my year-round riding than anything, by far. Not an inkling of a problem out of 4 set-ups....nada.

Z
    Gerbings is working on a new set of socks that will use there "micro-wire" design. I'm very excited to see this as I really like the warmth of the socks (I have the original style) but the heating elements can be a bit uncomfortable especially in tight boots.
    Rob

'10 NT700VA (Wife's)
    '09 Metallic Silver GL18BM-Heli-MMTE

'05 Vstar 1100 (sold)

'89 CB1
    '90 GS500E (sold)
    '87 CBR600F Hurricane (bent it at the track)

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is probably a stupid question, but I have the old SAE connector coming out from under the seat. I have a pigtail harness that plugs into each (Gerbing T5) glove. However, I end up having these wires crossing over my tank in order to have it all work. I feel like a Weeping Willow tree with these wires dangling all over the place.
    The pigtail harness wires are the same length, so I can't run one wire through my jacket to the right glove. Would it be in my best interest to switch out the old Heat-Troller SAE controllers and go with the newer connections in order to find something a little more sophisticated instead of looking like a 3rd grade science project gone bad? Thanks.
    2004 Black Cherry Trikeshop GL1800

"Trust in the Lord..." Proverbs 3:5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firebreath View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but I have the old SAE connector coming out from under the seat. I have a pigtail harness that plugs into each (Gerbing T5) glove. However, I end up having these wires crossing over my tank in order to have it all work. I feel like a Weeping Willow tree with these wires dangling all over the place.
    The pigtail harness wires are the same length, so I can't run one wire through my jacket to the right glove. Would it be in my best interest to switch out the old Heat-Troller SAE controllers and go with the newer connections in order to find something a little more sophisticated instead of looking like a 3rd grade science project gone bad? Thanks.
    You should run the harness down each sleeve and then out the bottom of the jacket to the controller. If the harness provided isn't long enough, then you need to make an extension or purchase one. The harness provided should be long enough to run down each sleeve. You may just need an extension to go from the split down to the controller. Gerbing sells a 12" and 24" extension. Check out their accessories page. http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.html.

Purchasing the heated jacket liner will also avoid this issue but is certainly more expensive than going with an extension.

Riding with loose wires routed as you describe sounds like it could make for a bad accident. Be careful!
    Last edited by rmcapozzi; 12-09-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    Rob

'10 NT700VA (Wife's)
    '09 Metallic Silver GL18BM-Heli-MMTE

'05 Vstar 1100 (sold)

'89 CB1
    '90 GS500E (sold)
    '87 CBR600F Hurricane (bent it at the track)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone for all of the reply's.

bkdraft has suggested that I need to re-sync my controller with both sides. I send him a pm because I don't understand what or how that would be done. Just before I posted this bkdraft got back to me in a pm and I will try what he suggested. Hope it works.

Several of you suggested to just plug in the gloves without going through the liner and see if they get warm. I would do that if there was any way to do that. But I would have to buy additional wiring. And nobody in Amarillo has any of this gear. Harley might have some but I haven't checked.

I have a new pair of gerbing's gloves ordered and they should be here this Friday. Hopefully since they are the micro wire they will not only work but will heat up as quick as the liner does.
    Brad

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firebreath View Post
    All you need is the Y connector wire, you run them down your sleeve's any BMW dealer will have what you need for gerbing, longer wire is for the right sleeve. Glove/ insole harness Part # ACYH $17.95 New Battery Harness part # ACBH $9.95
    Last edited by James Bertuca; 12-09-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.