Gerbing controller mount
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerbing controller mount

chuckSTer

Default Gerbing controller mount

I'm looking for ideas for mounting my Gerbing controller permanently on the bike. I've been carrying it in a small bag located on the gas filler lid but thats proving impractical as far as one--hand operation goes. Don't want to clip it to my clothing but would rather mount it on the bike somewhere. Any and all ideas, recommendations or suggestions appreciated. Thanks and a very merry Christmas to all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking mounting inside battery cover and have the knob stick out to control heat then put a outlet next to it to plug into. but havent done it yet

06 Titanium
    Darksider 834
    Khumo
    Bridgestone 709 front
    Progressive fork Springs
    Centramatics

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am interested in the same thing...
    Alan
    2004 ST1300 ABS w/ too many frickn' farkles to list
    2008 Goldwing w/ Comfy & ABS, Full Monty Traxxion, Special Edition V-Stream Windshield, Full Leather Russell Day Long

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here is what I have done. I bought two 12" extensions, plugged them into my jacket liner. I then had room to velcro my duel controller on the left front pocket door. I installed a female coax cable in the left front fairing just below the headlite up- down knob. The power cable (red) from the controller plugs into this & during the winter months I leave this plugged in & the controller on the door. Now when I go for a ride I get on the bike, plug in the two cables from my liner & I'm good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not trying to steal the thread, but maybe I am. I looked at lots of jackets and gloves and decided on the Tourmaster Synergy brand because you did not need a separate controller. I have the power cord attached to the bikes battery and it plugs into the cord on the jacket.

Sorry for taking the thread away, but for those considering heated clothing this may assist them.

The Jacket lists for 199.95 and paid $179.95. I recently won one of these which I am raffling off in the general section.

All proceeds from the sale of the jacket go to my riding club.
    Old, But old is better than the alternative.
    Current thrill. 2006 Champion trike 2006 GL 1800 with 5.5 degree EZ steer and boy is it? Risers.

Former bikes and plane1962 Elsinore 250.
    Piper Comanche airplane180 (thus my road name)
    Rotarian since 1984 25 years perfect attendance.
    05 Suzuki LS 650
    08 Suzuki C50T
    22 year Army Vet 56-59 63-82
    First Officer Southern Cruisers Chisholm Trail Chapter 82
    GWRRA Chapter T Now Flying a Cessna 172. Trike Rider Coach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chuckSTer View Post
    I'm looking for ideas for mounting my Gerbing controller permanently on the bike. I've been carrying it in a small bag located on the gas filler lid but thats proving impractical as far as one--hand operation goes. Don't want to clip it to my clothing but would rather mount it on the bike somewhere. Any and all ideas, recommendations or suggestions appreciated. Thanks and a very merry Christmas to all.
    Gerbing sells a controller specially made for permanent mounting on the bike. Mounts like a switch wherever you chose. Just FYI in case you didn't already know. Never tried mounting the portable controller permantly.
    Merry Christmas to you as well.

'08 with '12 MT Adventure kit and '10 with '12 MT Adventure kit
    DISCLAIMER: All post are my personal opinion and are in no way intended to reflect on or change the opinions of others.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend showed me his arrangement and I liked it so we did the same to mine. We velcroed and ty wraped the portable dual controller to the right handle bar just below the brake res. and routed the (self made extention) wires around the triple tree and down to the left side air vent and power lead to battery. We removed the about useless vent and installed an ABS plate to fit and mounted a couple of female Coaxial plugs there. I ordered two coiled cables (which I coiled together) from Gerbing to run from these plugs to the jacket liner. Works great and doesn't rub tank plus can dismount bike before unplugging. All parts available at radio shack and or Lowes. We also bought extra male coaxial connectors to plug the females in vent when not in use. If I didn't already have the portable controller i would have considered using Gerbing's perm. mount controller instead.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently use a portable dual temperature controller, but I'm considering purchasing Gerbing's Dual Permanent Temperature Controller. The only decision to make is where to mount it. The installation instructions suggest that mounting the Gerbing controller wouldn't be too hard.
    Stan Mattos

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste." UNCF

2008 Titanium GL1800/Navi/ABS with Traxxion (Mega with Brake Pads) & Centramatic Wheel Balancers
    1999 Black Excelsior Henderson Super X

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got my permanent controller today and wondering where to mount it...I had heard on the right pocket, but not really sure.....I am going to mount the cigarette adapter in the left pocket and thought it may be nice to mount the controller also on the left pocket....what does everyone think???
    Last edited by soonerforever; 12-11-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: engrish-english

Post Thanks / Like

I have a single controler that I attached (double sided tape) to the frame just above the chrome alternator cover. When not in use I tuck the cord behind the side panel. Easy to reach down and adjust when traveling.

...My Son in the Sandbox...

Handley
    Avondale, AZ
    2002 GL 1800 Stream Silver Metallic
    Darksider 1259

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by awingnut105 View Post
    Gerbing sells a controller specially made for permanent mounting on the bike. Mounts like a switch wherever you chose. Just FYI in case you didn't already know. Never tried mounting the portable controller permantly.
    Merry Christmas to you as well.
    Why not mount one permanently?

chuckSTer

Hey, thanks for all the good suggestions. I had been on the Gerbing site earlier, looking for a permanent mount but just missed it, I guess. Anyway, I think I'm going to go for the permanently mounted light and rheostat option. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to mount Gerbing controller

I have two Gerbing dual controllers. The first one I mounted on the black ABS panel just below the right fairing pocket on my 2003 GL1800. Later I bought a second one and now we both have dual controllers. Mine, the second one, I drilled holes in the top shelter just to the right of the radio. this location is easier to access without taking eyes off the road. This second location is also harder to install because of the box for the fuel filler receptacle. I use the standard Gerbing pigtails, led out beneathe the passenger seat for easy plug in for Her. I used Powerlet [BMW] style receptacles and drilled holes for them and mounted them to the left of the radio on the top shelter. Had I been aware of the regular type Gerbing plugs that can be mounted permanently into any suitable surface , such as the top shelter on its upper surface or lower below the plate where the hazard switch and headlight adjuster are located I would have gotten that with a coiled wire extension cord [available from Gerbing] for the jacket.
    I have drilled four large holes into my top shelter and when I sell the bike either the heated gear hardware already attached to the bike will go with it, or I will plug the holes with a polished stainless steel plate, one for each hole [which method I have done on holes drilled into the dashboard on my boat]. If I knew how to put a picture on this thread, I would have included shots of my set up.
    The BMW type plugs work quite well, have water shedding covers and can be manipulated with gloved hands, although I think the surface mounted regular [coaxial] Gerbing plugs would have been easier to use.
    If anyone is interested I will send them a regular email, not a PM on this board, with pictures of my setup.
    Andy
    Wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat.
    03-1800 ABS, modulted headlights, Back Off brake lights,fog lights on all the time, PIAA driving lights, Muth signal mirrors,loud aftermarket horns.
    Awaiting crash and burn fiery death caused by runflat rear car tire.

IBA 41956 DS446

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WA GL Biker View Post
    Why not mount one permanently?
    No reason not to. I just never tried it. I would think the one made for permanent installation would likely make for a neater looking installation, but that may not be the case.

'08 with '12 MT Adventure kit and '10 with '12 MT Adventure kit
    DISCLAIMER: All post are my personal opinion and are in no way intended to reflect on or change the opinions of others.

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures would be nice as I too am looking at different ways to do this. There some great ideas out there.

DSI #226

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking at these on ebay, I think it will work as a permant mount at a fraction of the cost
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=48523651591. They also had a 30 amp version. It is a pwm controller it should work

06 Titanium
    Darksider 834
    Khumo
    Bridgestone 709 front
    Progressive fork Springs
    Centramatics

Post Thanks / Like

This is located in the How to Forum. This is how I mounted mine, maybe it will give you some ideas. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225090
    Josh Shoemaker
    Some where in NorthCarolina I purchase 2 miles of road side flowers

As far as bikes go
    95 GSXR 907 (race)
    01 Triumph Sprint ST.
    03 Honda XR 650L
    05 GL1800 Sliver
    07 Escapade Elite

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tutorial....I've already ordered the accessory plug and corresponding Gerbing power cord but I'm not sure how that is going to work....
    How long did this install take....or did I miss it somewhere in the text?? One last question, how do you keep the led's from dropping out??
    Thanks again...Soonerforever

Post Thanks / Like

The install took around 2 days, as far as the LED's the instructions called for a certain size drill bit. The LED's fit snuggly in place. Have not had any problems.
    Josh Shoemaker
    Some where in NorthCarolina I purchase 2 miles of road side flowers

As far as bikes go
    95 GSXR 907 (race)
    01 Triumph Sprint ST.
    03 Honda XR 650L
    05 GL1800 Sliver
    07 Escapade Elite

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....I don't know if I have the patience for a 2 day install....especially for something I can carry portable.......I'm already pissed for having to buy extra cables.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the First Gear wireless dual controller.
    I love mine and it will do everything the gerbing will do,without the wire hassles.

later...Randy

2005 Goldwing Dark Gray Metallic... It's Gone To A New Owner.

...GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS

Post Thanks / Like

I have a permanent mounting controller for gloves Gerbing on my bike.

Last edited by Bib; 12-13-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Resize picture

Post Thanks / Like

I've done quite a few Gerbing installs.

Here is how I did the one on my bike:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/s...d.php?t=175505

I have the "plugs" coming out through the gas lid. I pull the cord out when I need it and tuck it back when it's not needed.

Here are two other installs I did. One was on a 2005, the other on a 2007 NAV model, both front and rear. Unfortunately, that's the one that Clarkster totaled in Colorado this year.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/s...d.php?t=234596
    So long and good bye

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

That should be "Bart's the man".
    I'm getting the itch to get permanent locations for heated clothing controls.
    Never did because I always trade bikes to often-now I've got a trike and it will be around for a long time!
    Thanks Bart.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some neat installations on this board. I have to say I like mine mounted on the left side where I can adjust the dial while keeping my right hand on the throttle - just a thought.
    Smitty

don't believe everything you think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    I've done quite a few Gerbing installs.

Here is how I did the one on my bike:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/s...d.php?t=175505

I have the "plugs" coming out through the gas lid. I pull the cord out when I need it and tuck it back when it's not needed.

Here are two other installs I did. One was on a 2005, the other on a 2007 NAV model, both front and rear. Unfortunately, that's the one that Clarkster totaled in Colorado this year.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/s...d.php?t=234596

Nice setup Bartman now move further west so we don't have to ride forever to get your help. How hard is that setup to install? I just got some Gerbings and that looks good.

GWRRA #307515

'74 CB 360
    '78 400 Hawk
    '86 700 Magna
    '07 VTX 1300R
    '09 Silver ABS
    '13 Silver Hannigan

'09 Escapade

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terrysc View Post
    A friend showed me his arrangement and I liked it so we did the same to mine. We velcroed and ty wraped the portable dual controller to the right handle bar just below the brake res. and routed the (self made extention) wires around the triple tree and down to the left side air vent and power lead to battery. We removed the about useless vent and installed an ABS plate to fit and mounted a couple of female Coaxial plugs there. I ordered two coiled cables (which I coiled together) from Gerbing to run from these plugs to the jacket liner. Works great and doesn't rub tank plus can dismount bike before unplugging. All parts available at radio shack and or Lowes. We also bought extra male coaxial connectors to plug the females in vent when not in use. If I didn't already have the portable controller i would have considered using Gerbing's perm. mount controller instead.
    I did a very similar thing except I ground off the protrusions on the bottom of the left handlebar switch assembly and used automobile trim tape to mount the controler there. Routed the wires down like you did but mounted the female plug in the blank where the driving light switch would go. It almost looks like it came from the factory that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwatc View Post
    Nice setup Bartman now move further west so we don't have to ride forever to get your help. How hard is that setup to install? I just got some Gerbings and that looks good.
    Not hard at all. Just take your time and think about where you want the controls mounted. It's really an easy job. Somewhat time consuming thinking about where to put the controls. Be careful before you drill and always start with a small hole than what you think you'll need. It's much easier to go bigger than it is to go smaller.
    So long and good bye

Post Thanks / Like

I am also in the same situation...trying to determine where best to mount my gerbing permanent dual controller switches. I am hesitant to drill into my tupperware as it is expensive to replace and you never know when you may want to remove the addition. Wanting to have a clean look and stock installation, I am toying around with the idea of mounting my switch controls within this switchbox offered by show chrome that mounts on top of the clutch or brake fluid reservoirs. I may have to drill out holes to mount the knobs and indicator lights on the switchbox but I think it may look nice and clean when finished.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	show chrome switchbox.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	47232

Seasoned Member fredfirefighter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clancy,MJC View Post
    OK, here is what I have done. I bought two 12" extensions, plugged them into my jacket liner. I then had room to velcro my duel controller on the left front pocket door. I installed a female coax cable in the left front fairing just below the headlite up- down knob. The power cable (red) from the controller plugs into this & during the winter months I leave this plugged in & the controller on the door. Now when I go for a ride I get on the bike, plug in the two cables from my liner & I'm good to go.
    I used this method with a variation: I have a portable heat troller and used velcro to fasten it to the left front pocket door. Poked the female power connection(from the battery) out between the seat and the left side cover. Works great and I have one hand operation even with gloves on. No extensions needed. When not needed I simply remove the heat troller and put it in the trunk and tuck the female connection undeer the edge of the seat . Been working good for about 3 years now.

Fred
    US Navy 63-69
    07 Dark Blue Goldwing
    1994 Kwik Kamp camper

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.