Gerbing installation questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gerbing installation questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gerbing installation questions

Santa brought me a Gerbing jacket liner and G3 gloves. I read the installation manual and am just about ready to connect the wiring harness. Before I do I would appreciate anyones help with these questions:

1- Can I keep the "Battery Tender" pigtail harness connected to the bike, and just place the Gerbing harness rings over the Battery Tender harness rings ? Both wiring harnesses have their own dedicated fuse.
    (I suspect this is doable, but the Gerbing manual says ... "Do not use the Battery Tender harness that may already be installed on your vehicle". I suspect this means not to plug the Gerbing products in to the Battery Tender Harness (?).)

2- The manual also says that the amperage draw ( 9.6 in this case ) may exceed a vehicles ability to charge the battery properly. Could this be a problem with the Goldwing 1800 ?

3- It seems somewhere on the boards I read that we need to plug the Gerbings in to the wiring harness AFTER starting the bike, and unplug the Gerbings either before or after the engine is shut off ? I didn't see this being addressed in the Gerbing manual.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Dave
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

On Work Release @ Soggy South Orygun Coast
    Post Thanks / Like

First the battery tender plug. The tender is a light guage wire, and only good for about 5 amps. So, no, do not use the tender plug in. You can switch to the Gerbing battery lead, which is a heavier wire, and has a 15 amp fuse. Then you can use that plug for either. Or, you can stack the plug wires on the battery and use each, but that is messy.

The second is the capacity of the electrical system in the wing. It is about the same as a full sized American Pickup, so it will run just about anything, except maybe an arc welder. So, no problem with the output being able to charge the battery.

Third thing is when to plug in the suit. Plug it in anytime. I just wait until after I start the bike, just because a starter draws a lot of current, and it just lightens the load on the battery while cranking it up. But either way will not hurt a thing.

Stay warm..
    Last edited by IR Harry; 12-27-2010 at 12:54 AM.
    Happiness keeps you sweet, trials keep you strong, sorrows keep you human,
    failures keeps you humble, success keeps you glowing, but only God keeps you going

Post Thanks / Like

plug in after before doesnt really matter the electrical system has plenty of capacity somewhere up wards of 90 amps, stocklighting is around 24 brake lights another about 7-9 so there is around 55-60 to spare the battery is charged, gerbing liner and G3 gloves about 10 amps

06 Titanium
    Darksider 834
    Khumo
    Bridgestone 709 front
    Progressive fork Springs
    Centramatics

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Harry - you helped me a great deal ! Now, it is installation time. I think I will stack the terminal leads initially, then look in to the Gerbing harness option. I suspect they may be able to guide me with whatever I need from them.

Blessed holidays to you and your family,
    Dave
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

Seasoned Member craig alumbaugh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Info

I did not know that the GW had that many amps from the stock alternator. Good to know, this board is great, always learning something new. Guess I won't worry about adding more LED lighting I've been thinking about.

Bye, Bye

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you rhughes... confirmation is a good thing.

I will look in to a Gerbing adapter to plug the Battery Tender directly to the Gerbing wiring harness. Life is good and even better when we stay warm !

Best wishes,
    Dave
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave95sps View Post
    I will look in to a Gerbing adapter to plug the Battery Tender directly to the Gerbing wiring harness
    Dave - If you happen to find the part number for that Gerbing adapter, could you post it? Thanks.
    Last edited by PaulC; 12-27-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Paul
    2004 GL1800A
    1991 Cycle-Mate CM2000

Post Thanks / Like

PhotoGuy - Sure will ! I just took photos of the plugs and sent an email to Gerbing to confirm their adapter will fit and can be used to charge the battery via the Gerbing wiring harness. I will post a response when I hear back, may even be today.

Dave
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave if this is your first Gerbing jacket liner & gloves you'll be riding in style. A huge difference compared to unheated clothing.
    Ride every chance you get!
    Bridgestone Potenza (Darksider) & Bridgestone 709

Post Thanks / Like

Yes indeed Kwikwing, this is my first Heated anything... I have been riding with multiple layers in cold weather for a long time.

Still waiting to hear back from Gerbing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my Gerbing Harness to hook up my heated clothing and for the Battery Tender when charging the Battery.
    The wiring and the 15 amp fuse in the harness is good for both.

Barney Biker
    06 Black GW
    PGR

Post Thanks / Like

Have you been on Gerbing's website and looked at and/or read their FAQ's?

Lots of good information there.

http://gerbing.com/Info/FAQ.php

The answer to your specific question is on there as well.
    Bartman

Sent from a computer that belongs to your wife/girlfriend!

2006 Premium Audio

Post Thanks / Like

Since you just got your Gerbing stuff, I assume you also got a controller. It can be a pain to start then plug. But, if you set your controller to "off" there will be no draw. Even if you have it set to where it was when you last rode, I bet it will be less than half of the top heat setting (where you will probably run it once you get toasty). Those controllers are solid state and instead of dumping a bunch of waste power to a pot like in the old days, they pulse the current through your heated clothing.

So, at best if you forget, it will likely only be drawing at half pulse/power. If you remember, plug and turn it off - start and turn it on. However, if you plug and hit the starter it will not be a problem even if on full. Honda turns off the headlights when you press the start button. That fact relieves much stress on the starting system so your clothing will not hurt a bit. I always plug and start. It's a pain to start than plug.
    KD8OVH
    '06 GL1800 Black Stealth F-117
    Progressive monotubes & Traxxion tree
    Vietnam Vet - Infantry Recon 69'-71'
    Daughter serves as LoadMaster CJ Elvis USAFr

Post Thanks / Like

Dave95sps:

As to your third question, Gerbing's definitely says you should plug in after starting your bike, and unplug before turning it off! It wasn't in the manual, but on a slip of paper that came with some portion of the gear. I'm not at home now, so I can't tell you exactly what that sheet of paper was labelled, but I just reviewed it myself yesterday! Also, it referred expressly to the newer gear, saying that if you did not do as described, the equipment could shut down, and you'd have to wait for it to reset itself. I have had that happen; that's why I went back and read it again.

Now this might apply only to the permanent controller - I suspect that is what is shutting down when I plug in before starting the bike, or unplug after turning the engine off. It certainly seems odd, because I have been careful to have the switch in the "off" position, but apparently just plugging in can cause the shutdown.

The one thing I'm not certain about right now is if the engine has to be running, or if only the ignition needs to be turned on. To be safe, I now do the plugging and unplugging while the engine is running.
    Yellow '05 GL1800A "Full Monty"
    Black '12 BMW F800ST

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMATANDEM View Post
    Dave95sps:

As to your third question, Gerbing's definitely says you should plug in after starting your bike, and unplug before turning it off! It wasn't in the manual, but on a slip of paper that came with some portion of the gear.
    That one has me scratching my head. These are not intelligent controllers. There is nothing to reset. They are nothing more than a simple PWM oscillator circuit. And the only difference between the bike running and not running is the slight difference in voltage.

I never pay attention to whether mine is on or off when I connect and disconnect, but here is the only thing I can think of that could cause problems.

First, plugging in while the controller is on usually makes a slight arc due to the instantaneous increase in current. Technically I suppose you could burn off the plating, causing the plug to go bad prematurely. Fred H. says this happened to him. My plugs are fine after 7 years of use.

Secondly, heated gear draws a lot of current. If your battery is borderline, the extra current draw could enough to prevent the bike from starting if it is on when you hit the starter. That reasoning does have some merit.

I usually start my bike before plugging in, but I don't worry about whether the controller is on or not.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

Dave95sps:

As to your third question, Gerbing's definitely says you should plug in after starting your bike, and unplug before turning it off! It wasn't in the manual, but on a slip of paper that came with some portion of the gear. I'm not at home now, so I can't tell you exactly what that sheet of paper was labelled, but I just reviewed it myself yesterday!
    I am sure that is what it said but I also think it does not apply to those installing it on a Gold Wing. Most motorcycles, especially the old ones made before 1990 have extremely limited electrical power reserves and adding heated clothing could easily put them into overload, so their recommendation would certainly apply to those bikes. The Gold Wing has ample electrical power reserves and you do not have to follow those factory recommendations. Think of them as a corporate CYA disclaimer.

Also, it referred expressly to the newer gear, saying that if you did not do as described, the equipment could shut down, and you'd have to wait for it to reset itself. I have had that happen; that's why I went back and read it again.

Now this might apply only to the permanent controller - I suspect that is what is shutting down when I plug in before starting the bike, or unplug after turning the engine off. It certainly seems odd, because I have been careful to have the switch in the "off" position, but apparently just plugging in can cause the shutdown.

The one thing I'm not certain about right now is if the engine has to be running, or if only the ignition needs to be turned on. To be safe, I now do the plugging and unplugging while the engine is running.
    Good for you but I think that is overkill for the reasons I stated above. LarryM may be correct and I have the older Gerbing controller so I am sure it does not apply to me but I don't know what the new Gerbing controllers have inside them. If they have become so complex that they have a microprocessor in them that needs rebooting, that prospect scares the ba-Jesus out of me! Is nothing beyond the reach of Bill Gates any more?

Former MSF/CMSP instructor, IBA#6027
    2005 GL-1800A, Metalic Silver
    Retired in Roseburg, OR

Post Thanks / Like

Everything you guys say makes sense to me, but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to electonics, and I have no idea if the new controllers have microprocessors. I can, however, confirm that I have had the system go down, and then reset after the bike sat for some time. It works fine if I follow the directions (What a novel idea!).

Also, my battery, although about five years old, is in excellent condition. I keep it on a battery tender whenever parked at home, and it has always stated up without any hesitation whatsoever - hot, cold, wet or dry, doesn't matter.

My experience with the folks at Gerbings has been very good. I imagine if anyone asked they'd explain why this procedure is necessary.
    Black '12 BMW F800ST

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, I am certainly not privy to all the latest and greatest improvements that are made to products, so I should not have been so forceful in my statement. There is always a possibility that things have changed.

You are definitely the first to mention this procedure. Thanks for sharing it with us. I will keep it in mind.

Regardless of the type of controller, your "safe" method is no doubt the way to be certain you won't have any problems.
    Last edited by LarryM; 12-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,
    Thanks for the plug in & out sequence confirmation. As you know, I just purchased new Gerbing's gloves for me & Kitty. Inside each glove package is a paper that reads:
    "Attention! All Riders
    A specific routine needs to be followed for you to successfully operate your Gerbing gear without potential damage to your electrical system."

Then in red capital letters it reads:
    "ALWAYS START YOUR BIKE PRIOR TO PLUGGING IN YOUR HEATED GEAR! ALWAYS UNPLUG YOUR HEATED GEAR PRIOR TO TURNING OFF YOUR BIKE!"

"Failure to follow these instructions can cause some newer models to shut down, and you will have to wait some time before the system will reset allowing you to restart!"

Doesn't get much more simple than that.

I plan on connecting an Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse panel to the battery. It has a relay circuit with 6 fused stations and an 'always hot' circuit with 2 fused stations. I plan on connecting my Gerbing's to the switched relay side of the panel. I only want the Gerbing's power cords to be hot when the key is on (switched power). I can connect a heavy duty Powerlet SAE plug to the 'always hot' side for Battery Tender use and for my compressor. Easy peezy.

Post Thanks / Like

Dotty at the Gerbing company wrote back via email and this was her response:

David,
    You will need the controller adapter. http://gerbing.com/Products/accessories.html
    Sincerely,
    Dotty Wheatley
    Customer Service
    Gerbing's Heated Clothing
    800-646-5916

I sent her a detailed description of what I wanted to do (charge the battery with the Battery Tender or YUASA charger to the Gerbing wiring harness). I sent her photos of both connectors, charger and Gerbing. The controller adapter is $9.95 plus shipping. I suspect the adapter will have a connector like the red Gerbing in left photo on one end, and a connector like the battery charger in right photo on the other end. This should eliminate the need to have the battery charger pigtail harness on the battery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	22552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	22553  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    You are correct. The Controller Adapter, part "ACADTC" is about 7" long having a full size SAE plug on one end and a Gerbing's plug on the other. Using this will allow you to connect your Battery Tender or compressor or ??? to the Garmin power cable coming from the battery.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got home and pulled out the notice I mentioned, and then I saw GeokittGL1800's post. That's exactly the document I was talking about. It's a single sheet, about 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches, printed on one side only.

BTW, I didn't take offense at anybody's remarks, and no one need apologize for being too forceful. We are all just trying to understand this stuff and give the best advice we can.
    Last edited by JMATANDEM; 12-27-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Black '12 BMW F800ST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IR Harry View Post

The second is the capacity of the electrical system in the wing. It is about the same as a full sized American Pickup, so it will run just about anything, except maybe an arc welder. So, no problem with the output being able to charge the battery.
    Stay warm..
    You mean that portable arc welder that I got for Christmas is what's been running my battery down? I'm gonna complain to Honda!
    Smitty

don't believe everything you think

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, from my experience, if you wear your vest over one base layer of clothing, it will warm you much better than if you wear several layers of clothing with the vest over them.

Enjoy and ride happy!

IRHarry, you had to burst everyone's bubble, now I guess we are going to have to install a generator in our trailers to power the WELDERS~!!

Jmathandem, not to be such a negative person, but please be careful when allowing small children to try on an adult helmet. Although it is not likely, the weight of a full size motorcycle, firefighter, etc helmet can cause cervical spinal damage. But that is a great picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice dedwards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

Post Thanks / Like

While I am waiting for the SAE/Charger adapter from Gerbing, I thought I would attempt to figure out how best to secure the dual controller while riding. Since I have 2 bikes, I did not want to secure the controller on a permanent mount to the Goldwing. Although the controller case is designed to be fastened to a belt, it would be awkward and cumbersome as my riding jacket extends just a tad lower than my belt. The wiring harness from the jacket liner will go on the Goldwing, and the wiring harness that came with the gloves will go on my Shadow.

Here are a few photos of what I came up with. I just cut a piece of black nylon webbing I had, to about 2 1/2" long (singed the ends with a lighter), and had a seamstress secure it where I felt it would be out of the way but easy to use while riding. I left a 1 1/2" opening for the clip on the case. The controller just slides in and out of the nylon webbing. When off the bike, I can just disconnect the red lead wire to the wiring harness and stick in my pocket, so none of the wires are left dangling. Haven't used it yet, but will soon - we still have snow on the roads here...

I am posting this on the chance it may be helpful to someone else. These forums are great for information sharing, but I believe I take more than I give.
    Best wishes,
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	22565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	22566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0893.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	22567  
    Last edited by dave95sps; 12-28-2010 at 04:01 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave95sps View Post
    I thought I would attempt to figure out how best to secure the dual controller while riding.....I did not want to secure the controller on a permanent mount to the Goldwing.

....I just cut a piece of black nylon webbing I had, to about 2 1/2" long (singed the ends with a lighter), and had a seamstress secure it where I felt it would be out of the way but easy to use while riding. I left a 1 1/2" opening for the clip on the case. The controller just slides in and out of the nylon webbing. When off the bike, I can just disconnect the red lead wire to the wiring harness and stick in my pocket, so none of the wires are left dangling.

I am posting this on the chance it may be helpful to someone else. These forums are great for information sharing, but I believe I take more than I give.
    Best wishes,
    Dave
    Dave!!!
    Excellent idea, thank you. I already did something similar to my wife's jacket for her to hang her controller. I used a small chrome utility snap loop attched by two pop rivits. Your idea with the web strap looks a bit less 'Home Depot' than my idea. I still have to decide how & where I will place my controller on the front of my Aerostich Roadcrafter suit. Just like you, I don't want to do anything permanent to the bike.

I need to finish this simple project by Saturday so we can test the heated gear on a New Year's Day ride.

George

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dedwards332 View Post
    Dave, from my experience, if you wear your vest over one base layer of clothing, it will warm you much better than if you wear several layers of clothing with the vest over them.

Enjoy and ride happy!

IRHarry, you had to burst everyone's bubble, now I guess we are going to have to install a generator in our trailers to power the WELDERS~!!

Jmathandem, not to be such a negative person, but please be careful when allowing small children to try on an adult helmet. Although it is not likely, the weight of a full size motorcycle, firefighter, etc helmet can cause cervical spinal damage. But that is a great picture.
    I hadn't considered the weight of the helmet as a threat, but I'm sure you're right. Thanks for the warning. Fortunately, he's so small that the weight rests on his shoulders, not his head. I imagine that reduces the risk. Anyway, I got my cute photo and won't do it again.
    Last edited by JMATANDEM; 12-29-2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Black '12 BMW F800ST

Post Thanks / Like

Installed the wiring harness today, sat on the bike dressed out with the liner, jacket and gloves, and all worked well... Man, I can't wait for the ice to melt off the roads !

GeoKitt - Your Roadcrafter suit is a nice one - not sure I would want to put too many holes in it though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2008 Titanium, ABS
    USAF veteran, 1968-1972
    Darkside # 937
    I stop for BBQ !

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a Gerbings liner and a single controller--I didn't see any instructions to start then plug. I did see a warning to turn off the controller before connedcting the liner. Are those instructions for all controllers?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.