Cruise Control Adjustment Question ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control Adjustment Question ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Cruise Control Adjustment Question ?

I have just finished center spec'ing my valves on my 09 wing. It seems a little more spirited now or maybe a placebo effect .
    I am going to punish my self a little more and install my bikes third air filter tomorrow .
    While I have the shelter off I would like to adjust the cruise control. I found this post by "Joe in Cali"

If your going to fix the cruise control lag, there is no need to guess how many turns it needs to go. Once you get to where you can adjust the cable, start the bike, run it until the fast idle kicks off and you are at regular idle speed, turn the barrel nut out until there RPM's just start to increase, turn it back in to normal RPM's and your set. No guessing involved
    My question is: Is the cruise control switch in the on or off position when this procedure is followed

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 42K trouble free miles
    2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
    2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
    1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
    1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Chard Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter. Your cruise won't be engaged at the time.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gator, from what I have read it doesn't matter. When I did mine it never crossed my mind. I am a little mindless at times.

Post Thanks / Like

It does not matter, your adjusting it to the throttle. I never turn the cruse control off, at the on, off switch.

Post Thanks / Like

I just turned mine until I felt the slightest point of resistance. Left the cover sitting loose, did a quick ride and it was perfect.
    2010 Goldwing 1970 383cu 4-speed Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Cow!! What a ride!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinLite View Post
    Gator, from what I have read it doesn't matter. When I did mine it never crossed my mind. I am a little mindless at times.
    You ain't the Lone Ranger. Sometimes I look at my drivers license to see who I am .
    Thanks all for the quick responses

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the air filter housing off, can adjust the cruise by setting a pointer which you will find along the left side of the air filter housing. Will need a flashlight to shine as it is down deep on the left side but easily seen if your looking for it. The pointer should be in the middle of the 2 reference arrows. Adjustment is by loosening the barrel set nut on the cruise cable and then turning the adjustment nut.(mine took about 8 turns) If this is an option your interested in and want in more detail, I can dig up the particulars for you.
    2008 Titanium Goldwing CSC Trike,
    2006 Honda Rebel
    2009 Aluma MCT Trailer
    Work & Play Toy Hauler

Wife still cooking,
    How much better can it get?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by QC Goldwinger View Post
    If you have the air filter housing off, can adjust the cruise by setting a pointer which you will find along the left side of the air filter housing. Will need a flashlight to shine as it is down deep on the left side but easily seen if your looking for it. The pointer should be in the middle of the 2 reference arrows. Adjustment is by loosening the barrel set nut on the cruise cable and then turning the adjustment nut.(mine took about 8 turns) If this is an option your interested in and want in more detail, I can dig up the particulars for you.
    I am interested. From all I have read using the search feature, all who have tried the Honda method were disappointed . I would like to try the RPM method, then look at the arrows and see if they are where they are supposed to be .

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GatorWing View Post
    I
    My question is: Is the cruise control switch in the on or off position when this procedure is followed
    Ign off, CC switch position does not matter but since those switches go bad from the grease getting hard, the best thing is to use the switch all the time so in this case lets assume the switch was turned off just prior to parking the bike, which is how I opperate my bike.

Since the pointers are so hard to see, it maybe best to pull into a dark garage, lights off, and then use a flash light.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the pointer method on my bike and found that it was not that accurate. But using the RPM method was dead on every time I have adjusted a friends cruise control. If you adjust out until the bike just starts to increase RPM and then shorten the cable until your RPM comes back down you will be as good as it can be without any guessing at all. Lock it down and forget about it. JMHO
    RogerB
    2003 non-ABS
    Ex-Darksider

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I used the pointer method on my bike and found that it was not that accurate. But using the RPM method was dead on every time I have adjusted a friends cruise control. If you adjust out until the bike just starts to increase RPM and then shorten the cable until your RPM comes back down you will be as good as it can be without any guessing at all. Lock it down and forget about it. JMHO
    RogerB
    I found the pointer method so-so too. How far do you back the adjustment off when doing the RPM method?
    Last edited by GoldWingrGreg; 01-30-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Curious how many miles on your 09 to be on the 3rd air filter and to have chk'd the valves? How did the valves check?
    Thanks

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWingrGreg View Post
    Ign off, CC switch position does not matter but since those switches go bad from the grease getting hard, the best thing is to use the switch all the time so in this case lets assume the switch was turned off just prior to parking the bike, which is how I opperate my bike.

Since the pointers are so hard to see, it maybe best to pull into a dark garage, lights off, and then use a flash light.

When I had the top shelter off, I looked and looked and just couldn't see the window with the pointers. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place.

In the end, I just took a chance and wound the adjuster out a couple of turns - that seemed to do the trick perfectly - just lucky I suppose.

Brian.
    It was the best of times
    It was the worst of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
    Curious how many miles on your 09 to be on the 3rd air filter and to have chk'd the valves? How did the valves check?
    Thanks
    34K Miles. I replaced the original filter at around 16K and now the 3rd is going in. I have 2 brand new filters in my stockpile of parts so it will only cost me a day of riding. I ride on US 27 along Florida's Everglades to get more north away from the moron cagers around here . That is also where God (US Sugar Corporation) is located. They have side roads parallel with lots of dust and don't use any dust control. I try to coast through some clouds of dust. Then we have love bugs and knats in clouds if running US 27 in the early evening. Also lots of ash from huge cane fires .
    I have examined the present filter with my fiber optic imager and see one big dragon fly and lots of gnats. Surprisingly no love bugs. It is time.
    On the valves, three intakes were a very tight 0.005. I examined them a couple of weeks ago and talked my self into that being OK.
    My wife said fix them because I know it will be on your mind .
    They know after 46 years .
    It took me two weeks of worrying so I rechecked the clearances.
    I bit the bullet and center spec-ed them all. After using 2 shims from Hot Cams and a couple an in between size from the dealer and one from the swap, all are centered .
    I don't want to see the valve adventure for another 100K and may even have a newer model by that time (mine is an 09),
    The worst part of the valve job is feeler gauges having tolerances from brand to brand and Hot Cams shims measure a bit off center from their markings.
    I suggest measuring everything and not trusting factory markings.
    I guess in the rainy season here I will add the oil to the pre-load adjuster but now is great riding time here

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    If done by the manual it would be around 36K. As the manual says, change every 12K.

The first valve check is at 32K.

As for me, having changed lots of air filters for friends, mine will stay in there for 50K. I am not real worried about that air filter.

That air filter stuff is a money maker, especially off the women. They take their car in for an oil change and they yahoo trots in to the waiting area and says , see this dirt, ya need a new filter. It is only 29.95. Lol! So he installs that and then says, hey, how long since you had your brakes serviced??? That is only 129.95. Takes him all of 30 minutes and 20 ounces of brake fluid..........

Once in awhile I am lazy, or the oil needs changed in my wife's car and I really do not want to put it up on the ramps. So off I go to a 19.95 oil change that with the extra quart of oil turns out to be 29.95 with tax and disposal fees, and yep that yahoo will pull that stuff without fail. I just tell him to trot yourself back out there and leave the filter alone. Quit playing with the air filter. Lol!!

My disposal fee is.............well not gonna tell, Al Gore will send the global warming police after me.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    When I had the top shelter off, I looked and looked and just couldn't see the window with the pointers. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place.

In the end, I just took a chance and wound the adjuster out a couple of turns - that seemed to do the trick perfectly - just lucky I suppose.

Brian.
    It is really hard to see the pointers unless you have seen them before. Pix probably won't even help. Next time you have the fuel tank off and then the air box, look again. That was the only way I was ever able to see what to look for.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GatorWing View Post
    34K Miles. I replaced the original filter at around 16K and now the 3rd is going in. I have 2 brand new filters in my stockpile of parts so it will only cost me a day of riding. I ride on US 27 along Florida's Everglades to get more north away from the moron cagers around here . That is also where God (US Sugar Corporation) is located. They have side roads parallel with lots of dust and don't use any dust control. I try to coast through some clouds of dust. Then we have love bugs and knats in clouds if running US 27 in the early evening. Also lots of ash from huge cane fires .
    I have examined the present filter with my fiber optic imager and see one big dragon fly and lots of gnats. Surprisingly no love bugs. It is time.
    On the valves, three intakes were a very tight 0.005. I examined them a couple of weeks ago and talked my self into that being OK.
    My wife said fix them because I know it will be on your mind .
    They know after 46 years .
    It took me two weeks of worrying so I rechecked the clearances.
    I bit the bullet and center spec-ed them all. After using 2 shims from Hot Cams and a couple an in between size from the dealer and one from the swap, all are centered .
    I don't want to see the valve adventure for another 100K and may even have a newer model by that time (mine is an 09),
    The worst part of the valve job is feeler gauges having tolerances from brand to brand and Hot Cams shims measure a bit off center from their markings.
    I suggest measuring everything and not trusting factory markings.
    I guess in the rainy season here I will add the oil to the pre-load adjuster but now is great riding time here
    Thanks for the reply!
    Wish I lived in a warmer climate. Indiana and our health does not allow the high mileage I used to put on bikes.
    I have become accustomed to time intervals on maintenance rather than mileage!
    Thanks for your input Kit-Your knowledge is always welcomed.
    Dawg

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Thanks for the reply!
    Wish I lived in a warmer climate. Indiana and our health does not allow the high mileage I used to put on bikes.
    I have become accustomed to time intervals on maintenance rather than mileage!
    Thanks for your input Kit-Your knowledge is always welcomed.
    Dawg
    US sugar is (GOD) in Florida. They use bulldozer looking machines with flame throwers to burn large areas of sugar cane. Sometimes the wind shifts and it is like riding through a cloud.
    If I burned a sheet of paper and was caught by the powers that be, I would go to the Graybar Motel.
    When I am riding through one of the smoke clouds, I often think of the times the state of Florida required a probe to be inserted in a vehicles exhaust pipe to check for air pollution .
    The law is applied just like the food chain. The bigger fish always wins .

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the pointer method so-so too. How far do you back the adjustment off when doing the RPM method?
    You back off the barrel nut as you are watching your RPM. Back off until your RPM just comes back down to what it was at prior to stating the cruise control adjustment. Needless to say, have the bike warmed up and at a normal idle before you start.
    Your cruise will be so right you will wonder how you survived with the factory adjustment.
    2003 non-ABS
    Ex-Darksider

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    You back off the barrel nut as you are watching your RPM. Back off until your RPM just comes back down to what it was at prior to stating the cruise control adjustment. Needless to say, have the bike warmed up and at a normal idle before you start.
    Your cruise will be so right you will wonder how you survived with the factory adjustment.
    So basically, you leave very little free play.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You try to leave no free play. The freeplay is what makes the cruise control so bad from the factory.
    RogerB.
    2003 non-ABS
    Ex-Darksider

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have to remove the shelter to make the cruise control adjustment?

Dave
    Northern VA
    2006 GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

So basically, you leave very little free play.
    Yea but, before you button it up, turn the handlebars lock to lock and make sure it still stays put and the idle stays the same. You may have to back it off a turn or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Carson View Post
    Yea but, before you button it up, turn the handlebars lock to lock and make sure it still stays put and the idle stays the same. You may have to back it off a turn or so.
    Excellent point whenever any thing is changed near the steering assembly

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlvgolf View Post
    Do you have to remove the shelter to make the cruise control adjustment?

On the '05 & before u can on the newer bikes I couldn't get to it.
    I did forget about turning the handlebars to make sure you aren't too tight.
    RogerB
    2003 non-ABS
    Ex-Darksider

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just did mine on Saturday. I had already removed the airbox and checked the adjustment at the throttle bodies. It was in spec, and I wished I had never gone as far as removing the box. I left the topshelter off, bungied all loose wires up, loosened the lock nut at the cruise control unit, and went for a short ride up the road. (4-lane in the country with not much traffic) While this might not be for everyone, I would "set" the cruise, and wait for it to take over, then tap my brakes to release it and make an adjustment while still moving. It took me about 2 miles at 40-50mph to get it adjusted correctly. Then, I came back home, locked the jam nut, and commenced to buttoning everything up. Mine was adjusted at about 4 or 5 turns out from the factory setting.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It is really hard to see the pointers unless you have seen them before. Pix probably won't even help. Next time you have the fuel tank off and then the air box, look again. That was the only way I was ever able to see what to look for.
    The airbox must be removed to see the pointers.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogparts View Post
    The airbox must be removed to see the pointers.
    I guess that must have been my problem, I had the airbox open to replace the filter, but didn't remove the airbox, I was just looking alongside it for the window.

Does the gas tank have to be removed too? I didn't do that either.

Brian
    It was the best of times
    It was the worst of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    I guess that must have been my problem, I had the airbox open to replace the filter, but didn't remove the airbox, I was just looking alongside it for the window.

Does the gas tank have to be removed too? I didn't do that either.

Brian
    When you have the shelter off, simply slide the ECU out of the holder, if you have ABS you have to take the ABS module out of the way too, now look into the square hole you see in the black plastic under all that, you will see a V notch and a V point, they are supposed to line up. The adjustment nuts vary on some bikes you take the flimsy inner cover , that floppy plastic one around the steering area out and just under the right side is the cable and the adjustment, on some it comes out the right side of the ignition switch .Under and off to the side.

But no real need to worry about the pointers, with the variance in cables and assembly, you can have them lined up and still not be happy. So just use the adjusting nut as described. No need to worry about the pointers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default cruse adjust

Board, The pointer method is why the

adjustment is necessary. And a dealer

cannot or will not adjust your cruse control be

because the (only way) is not the (approved

way). My 2 cents.

Regards,

Marching down the rough pathway of time

DARKSIDING, CHALLENGING THE
    ORTHODOXY OF THE MOMENT.

2003 Goldwing +93,000 miles and sold
    2008 Goldwing ABS comfort 80,000 miles and counting

The early years

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.