Silicate Free Antifreeze (with pictures)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silicate Free Antifreeze (with pictures)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Silicate Free Antifreeze (with pictures)

Here are a couple of pictures to show one brand of antifreeze that is silicate free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AntiFeezeJug.jpg 
Views:	2439 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	23986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AntiFeezeLabel02.jpg 
Views:	2883 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	23987  
    rogedmonds

I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
    but I'm not sure you realize that WHAT YOU HEARD is NOT what I meant!

Darkside (#773) - Bridgestone Potenza 195/55/R16

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member trike lady 1500's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Some people use Honda Automobile Coolant,
    http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/produ...ntenance-parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coolant_OL999-9011.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	23989  

The busy beaver said, "I have one Dam job after another". Prowler# 11

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

If you can use Honda car 50/50 anti-freeze in an aluminum engine for 5 years, why can't you use it Gold Wing engine for 5 years?
    I just chanfed anti-freeze in my 2005 with 70,901 miles on it (put in service in 09/2004) and it was as clean as the new Honda M/C anti-freeze.
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    John Bales, MSG (Ret) USA
    Indy
    2005 GL1800, Candy Black Cherry
    2009 Escapade Elite

Contributing Member Patrick Doss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbales View Post
    If you can use Honda car 50/50 anti-freeze in an aluminum engine for 5 years, why can't you use it Gold Wing engine for 5 years?
    I just chanfed anti-freeze in my 2005 with 70,901 miles on it (put in service in 09/2004) and it was as clean as the new Honda M/C anti-freeze.
    While the Ethylene-Glycol (that which actually prevents freezing) never wears out, the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant are depleted over time. The OEM Car antifreeze that's Blue is a long-life formula, and is the only formula sold at my local Honda Car Dealership, as it comes in all their new cars since sometime around 2002. I think they once told me that Honda doesn't even sell the Standard-life Green formula through the Car Dealerships anymore. I do not know if the OEM Green Motorcycle anti-freeze is an extended-life formula with longer-lasting corrosion inhibitors like the cars, but given Honda changed the dye color in the cars to indicate the different formula, I doubt it. So it would still be wise to change the OEM Green anti-freeze at the recommended schedule. It should also be noted that while the Blue Long-life formula is rated for an initial replacement of 10 years or 100K miles, after replacement in the cars, it is recommended to be replaced at 5 years or 50K miles. I use the Blue from the Car dealer because I have some newer Honda cars, it's cheaper, and it's a correct, safe formula. However, I continue to change it at the recommended schedule in the motorcycle's manual on the bikes. My choice, do what you like.
    2000 Blue/Blurple Goldwing SE. I am a pirate. This is my ship.
    2008 Dark Red Metallic Goldwing Airbag
    2004 Candy Black Cherry Bushtec Quantum GL

Post Thanks / Like

rogedmonds I do use that in the cars with Alum. engines but just get the Honda car stuff for the bike it's exactly what is in it and you don't have to worry if you got out every drop or flush it, the ratings are just what it calls for on this prestone but a few bucks more every 2 years I just go Honda Car .
    Do it all now you may not be able to do it Later

Seasoned Member fredfirefighter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I changed all my fluids at 36 months and about 36K miles, and all is well at 48K miles on the Wing. JMHO but I think sticking with the Honda schedule is a bit much. I mean who changes their air cleaner at 12 K miles? What a waste of money and time that is unless you do a lot of dusty riding. Just sayin.

Fred
    Last edited by fredfirefighter; 02-07-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    US Navy 63-69
    07 Dark Blue Goldwing
    1994 Kwik Kamp camper

storm

but you only change that once every two years anyway
    Hmmm better add this to the winter list - change anti-freeze today (5 years)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Patrick thanks for your reply, that is a very good answer

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Doss View Post
    While the Ethylene-Glycol (that which actually prevents freezing) never wears out, the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant are depleted over time. The OEM Car antifreeze that's Blue is a long-life formula, and is the only formula sold at my local Honda Car Dealership, as it comes in all their new cars since sometime around 2002. I think they once told me that Honda doesn't even sell the Standard-life Green formula through the Car Dealerships anymore. I do not know if the OEM Green Motorcycle anti-freeze is an extended-life formula with longer-lasting corrosion inhibitors like the cars, but given Honda changed the dye color in the cars to indicate the different formula, I doubt it. So it would still be wise to change the OEM Green anti-freeze at the recommended schedule. It should also be noted that while the Blue Long-life formula is rated for an initial replacement of 10 years or 100K miles, after replacement in the cars, it is recommended to be replaced at 5 years or 50K miles. I use the Blue from the Car dealer because I have some newer Honda cars, it's cheaper, and it's a correct, safe formula. However, I continue to change it at the recommended schedule in the motorcycle's manual on the bikes. My choice, do what you like.
    ehcycledude@yahoo.com
    02 GL1800 yellow 422,000 smiles
    Rode my bike to Trailer Week
    Charter member Wisconsin Toughest Riders

storm

Quote Originally Posted by rogedmonds View Post
    Here are a couple of pictures to show one brand of antifreeze that is silicate free.
    I'm glad you posted the pictures, I have never seen an anti-freeze container before

Just kidding!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the reason you need silicate free antifreeze is because of the construction of the water pump, not just because of the aluminum engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredfirefighter View Post
    I changed all my fluids at 36 months and about 36K miles, and all is well at 48K miles on the Wing. JMHO but I think sticking with the Honda schedule is a bit much. I mean who changes their air cleaner at 12 K miles? What a waste of money and time that is unless you do a lot of dusty riding. Just sayin.

Fred

yep 33K is good for me mine is still pretty clean at 33 (air filter) I look at it with a mechanics scope light in between
    but I don't hardly ever ride on dirt roads or dusty conditions, if you were on a gravel road that may be someting to think about
    Last edited by upssnowman; 02-07-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Do it all now you may not be able to do it Later

storm

K&N filters have the recommendations right on the filter - never replace and clean every 50K
    1,000,000 mile warranty - that's a whole years riding!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Patrick, good info.
    John Bales, MSG (Ret) USA
    Indy
    2005 GL1800, Candy Black Cherry
    2009 Escapade Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbales View Post
    If you wait til your anti freeze looks bad the damage has already started. Thats the reason you need to change it.
    2012 BLACK
    NC700X
    DARKSIDER 89
    B/S 709 F & Michelin alpin pa3 R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rogedmonds View Post
    great thread for the dogs days of summer

You are hereby officially PROWLER #83.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Doss View Post
    I need to change mine this fall and i am going to look into this.

Wayne
    GWRRA # 215175 since 05
    USAF 1960-1964
    2004 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry

I'm a geezer

Prowler # 45

A stranger is nothing more than a friend you havn't met yet

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.