Rear Shock replace
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Shock replace

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear Shock replace

What would be a good replacement for the tired rear shock that would still keep the adjustability factor. Not looking for super bike upgrade stuff, just bring it back to like new.
    2006 1800, 2004 Concours

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

replaced mine with a Progressive this year. Also see the FRED DVD's about the actuator as a reference to give more lift.
    2002 GL1800 Pearl Orange
    2007 Stratoliner Black Cherry
    Darksider #815
    G709/F
    195/55-16 Falken Ziex ZE-912/R
    Southern Illinois, USA

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a trike take off shock and put on a Progressive spring on my 2007 with 80,000 miles and it made a big difference. And by the way replaced it without taking out the gas tank.
    Richard Arceneaux
    Waynesville, North Carolina
    2007 Silver ABS Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich A View Post
    I got a trike take off shock and put on a Progressive spring on my 2007 with 80,000 miles and it made a big difference. And by the way replaced it without taking out the gas tank.
    DITTO: brand new trike take-off shock with propressive spring made a world of difference in 2003 wing.
    Ronnie

get it fore the hoarders do

DarkSider #407 (joined 8/6/2009)

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16 87H (Plugged)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And by the way replaced it without taking out the gas tank.
    Wow, This is the first I've read that this can be done without tank removal. Could you be more specific or PM me the procedure? My wing is an 08 if that matters. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    Wow, This is the first I've read that this can be done without tank removal. Could you be more specific or PM me the procedure? My wing is an 08 if that matters. Thanks
    Remove the seat, take the side covers off, unbolt the right saddlebag and simply move it out and back a bit, no need to totally remove, now you can get to the top fastener and bottom, with the help of a long pry bar, screw driver, whatever, you can line up the bolt holes and change the rear shock. Might use a little bottle jack to push up on the lower arm a bit if you need to. That is it basically.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Carson View Post
    Remove the seat, take the side covers off, unbolt the right saddlebag and simply move it out and back a bit, no need to totally remove, now you can get to the top fastener and bottom, with the help of a long pry bar, screw driver, whatever, you can line up the bolt holes and change the rear shock. Might use a little bottle jack to push up on the lower arm a bit if you need to. That is it basically.
    Thanks Kit. Now to get the spring ordered and find someone with a spring compressor I can either borrow or rent.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Carson View Post
    Thats how I did it but did not touch the saddlebags. I took out the gas tank mounting bolt on the right side of the bike so I could move the shock fluid line out of the way to get to the upper mounting bolt. On the left side the upper mounting is a allen bolt and that one just move it enough for the shock to drop out but leave it in will be easy just to push it back in when the new shock is installed. My friend has a lift that made it a lot easier the bike was up 3 feet and on the center stand.
    Richard Arceneaux
    Waynesville, North Carolina
    2007 Silver ABS Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like

And by the way replaced it without taking out the gas tank.
    I watched a mechanic in Maysville, Ga. do this to a friends bike...I didn't think it could be done, but he made it look easy.

IBA #49997 (Certified)

Dark Side #224
    States I Have Rode In

Provinces I Have Rode In

Arrogance & rudeness is not a personality quality.
    "I am not a busy man" I always have the time to answer a PM without a smart remark ! Or name calling.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.