Heated Clothing Remote Install Report
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Heated Clothing Remote Install Report

  1. #1
    Seasoned Member John Ulrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eagan, MN
    Posts
    1,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Heated Clothing Remote Install Report

    I love my Gerbing liner but hate the wiring circus that comes with the program ......until now.
    I received my new Powerlet remote and was blown away by it's small size. I unzipped the access panel into the coat and made two cuts in the lining to feed the wires from the remote receiver thru and sealed the cuts to the wires with some glue. The small remote receiver body was held in place with some 3M industrial Velcro to the inner body of the coat. The picture tells the tale. Powerlet sells the remote for $99.00 ($89.00 prepaid on Ebay) vs $69.00 for the bulky wired controller. I put some velcro on the backside of the controller to attach to some velcro I already have on the cycle.

    2003 ABS-Full Monte
    1999 Moto Guzzi Bassa
    1972 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
    1949 Moto Guzzi Astore

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    55
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Gerbings

    They have a permanent thermostat. I mounted mine on th ebike and plug in one plug to my liner, works great to 19 degrees!!!
    Now they also have battery pack units available.
    Chas2007 Blue ABS/NAVI 86,000 smiles and countingTRAXXION Full Monty @ 26,000 miles (worth it if you ever scrape pegs, or ride "sport like")GWRRA, Iron Butt, Wags Pooch trailer, New Hampshire

  4. #3
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mpls Mn usa
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Powerlet is made by Warm & Safe. I sell the single Warm & Safe remote for $90 to.

    The Warm & Safe Generation 4 liner has a special pocket made to hold the wireless remote heat troller. Single or dual. It's a great product and setup.
    Last edited by tourman; 03-07-2011 at 11:34 PM.

  5. #4
    Seasoned Member gladeeaytur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Burbank Washington
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it'
    Ronald Regan

    Wow this Ronald Regan guy is uncanny! Spot on! Almost sounds like something Ronald Reagan would say

    tourman
    My brutha from anutha mutha
    1968 Honda mini Z50
    1978 Kawasaki KD 80
    1987 Suzuki Intruder 850
    "02" BMW R1150R
    "01" GL1800 "Blue Whale"
    Darkside #877 dun 195/55-16rf sp sport 14,000,
    Current rear tire GoodYear Assurance Triple Tread 205/60 -16 23,000 and still going

  6. #5
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    BOUNTIFUL UTAH
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Ulrich View Post
    I love my Gerbing liner but hate the wiring circus that comes with the program ......until now.
    I received my new Powerlet remote and was blown away by it's small size. I unzipped the access panel into the coat and made two cuts in the lining to feed the wires from the remote receiver thru and sealed the cuts to the wires with some glue. The small remote receiver body was held in place with some 3M industrial Velcro to the inner body of the coat. The picture tells the tale. Powerlet sells the remote for $99.00 ($89.00 prepaid on Ebay) vs $69.00 for the bulky wired controller. I put some velcro on the backside of the controller to attach to some velcro I already have on the cycle.


    I put my receiver in the pocket.
    I have the dual remote ..one wire simple.

    later..Randy
    Last edited by INTHEWIND; 03-08-2011 at 01:31 AM.
    later...Randy



    2005 Goldwing Dark Gray Metallic... It's Gone To A New Owner.


    ...GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET...

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS

  7. #6
    Seasoned Member rmcapozzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    3,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The remote controller is pretty neat. But I'm confused by the wire comment. It looks like you have a single controller so don't you still have the same number of wires to plug in....one when getting on the bike?
    Rob



    '10 NT700VA (Wife's)
    '09 Metallic Silver GL18BM-Heli-MMTE

    '05 Vstar 1100 (sold)

    '89 CB1
    '90 GS500E (sold)
    '87 CBR600F Hurricane (bent it at the track)

  8. #7
    Seasoned Member GoldwingRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rmcapozzi View Post
    The remote controller is pretty neat. But I'm confused by the wire comment. It looks like you have a single controller so don't you still have the same number of wires to plug in....one when getting on the bike?
    I've had the same setup but with Warm N Safe gear, and yes, the heated gear still needs a power wire from the battery to the liner. I mounted my wireless remote on side of the CB talk button housing with Velcro.

    I think the OP was talking about running wiring for the controller.

    2010 Pearl Yellow
    Comfort Navi-XM
    (GL1800HPNM)

    With guns, we are 'citizens'; without them, we are 'subjects'


    *NEW JERSEY

    NRA Life Member
    AOPA Member
    GWRRA Member
    GWTA Member
    AMA Member

  9. #8
    Seasoned Member rmcapozzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    3,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldwingRon View Post
    I've had the same setup but with Warm N Safe gear, and yes, the heated gear still needs a power wire from the battery to the liner. I mounted my wireless remote on side of the CB talk button housing with Velcro.

    I think the OP was talking about running wiring for the controller.
    Okay. Thanks! That makes sense to me. If you like the mounted controller for the heated gear, the wireless controller certainly looks like the way to go.
    Rob



    '10 NT700VA (Wife's)
    '09 Metallic Silver GL18BM-Heli-MMTE

    '05 Vstar 1100 (sold)

    '89 CB1
    '90 GS500E (sold)
    '87 CBR600F Hurricane (bent it at the track)

  10. #9
    Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Powerlet controllers

    I have a Powerlet wired dual controller on by CBR 600. The gear and controller work great, but to avoid a bunch of wires running to the handlebar area I mounted it on the left side of the frame below the left front lower edge of the seat. The only problem is that in order to SAFELY adjust the heat on my liner or gloves I need to pull over and stop.

    I have Powerlet wireless dual controllers installed on my GL 1800 on the front brake perch bracket. The controllers are right in my view and I can easily adjust the temperature on my and my rider's liners/gloves without taking my eyes too far off the road, not having to pull over and stop.

    My only complaint is that Powerlet (and others?) should manufacture the gear with wires cleanly routed to exit the garmet in ONE strategically placed location and should strategically place a pocket large enough to contain the wireless controller as standard equipment on the liner/vest.

    I was hoping Powerlet would have made these modifications on their new edition jacket/liner, but they didn't. My wife's liner is the old version, mine is the new version. I can't say I notice any difference in the efficiency of the heat output between the old and new vests.

    Wireless is the only way to go!
    Last edited by jamnjimmy; 03-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.

  11. #10
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    BOUNTIFUL UTAH
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamnjimmy View Post
    I have a Powerlet wired dual controller on by CBR 600. The gear and controller work great, but to avoid a bunch of wires running to the handlebar area I mounted it on the left side of the frame below the left front lower edge of the seat. The only problem is that in order to SAFELY adjust the heat on my liner or gloves I need to pull over and stop.

    I have Powerlet wireless dual controllers installed on my GL 1800 on the front brake perch bracket. The controllers are right in my view and I can easily adjust the temperature on my and my rider's liners/gloves without taking my eyes too far off the road, not having to pull over and stop.

    My only complaint is that Powerlet (and others?) should manufacture the gear with wires cleanly routed to exit the garmet in ONE strategically placed location and should strategically place a pocket large enough to contain the wireless controller as standard equipment on the liner/vest.

    I was hoping Powerlet would have made these modifications on their new edition jacket/liner, but they didn't. My wife's liner is the old version, mine is the new version. I can't say I notice any difference in the efficiency of the heat output between the old and new vests.

    Wireless is the only way to go!
    The warm and Safe liner has a pocket as you described.

    later..Randy
    later...Randy



    2005 Goldwing Dark Gray Metallic... It's Gone To A New Owner.


    ...GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET...

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS

  12. #11
    Resident BBQ Expert loren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Camp Randall
    Posts
    13,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I ordered a single wirless contoller, and was far less than thrilled with the additional stuff you need to carry in your pocket, plus still have to plug into the bike as well.

    I returned the useless item, and went for a semi mounted dual controller, one knob for heated grips and the other for the gerbings. I use a BMW style socket to power the jacket.

  13. #12
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NW Michigan
    Posts
    1,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default heated controller

    I must be missing something. Why on earth would you want your controller inside of a pocket? You gaurantee that you have to stop just to adjust the temps. I mounted my wireless dual warm and safe with velcro on top of my cb controls. That way when it's cold to start out, I can turn it up and then back down as I get comfortable. Or if it's nice to start I don't have to stop to turn it on. What am I missing?

    Richard
    DS#809


  14. #13
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mpls Mn usa
    Posts
    3,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The part of the control in the pocket is not where you adjust the heat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw1H8VmUvKc





    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Clem View Post
    I must be missing something. Why on earth would you want your controller inside of a pocket? You gaurantee that you have to stop just to adjust the temps. I mounted my wireless dual warm and safe with velcro on top of my cb controls. That way when it's cold to start out, I can turn it up and then back down as I get comfortable. Or if it's nice to start I don't have to stop to turn it on. What am I missing?

    Richard

  15. #14
    Seasoned Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    BOUNTIFUL UTAH
    Posts
    3,611
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Clem View Post
    I must be missing something. Why on earth would you want your controller inside of a pocket? You gaurantee that you have to stop just to adjust the temps. I mounted my wireless dual warm and safe with velcro on top of my cb controls. That way when it's cold to start out, I can turn it up and then back down as I get comfortable. Or if it's nice to start I don't have to stop to turn it on. What am I missing?

    Richard
    Richard,

    The receiver is in the pocket, transmitter is on the cb controls.

    later..randy
    later...Randy



    2005 Goldwing Dark Gray Metallic... It's Gone To A New Owner.


    ...GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET...

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •