Question on Front Fork Seal Leak Fix.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Front Fork Seal Leak Fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Front Fork Seal Leak Fix.

My left fork seal is leaking slightly. I read previous posts on using a piece of plastic or 35mm film to run between the seal and fork for an easy fix. Is "the seal" that is referred to the dust seal or the fork seal under the dust seal? If it is the fork seal then I assume the dust seal has to be removed. Any tricks to do this? If it is the fork seal isn't it hard to get anything between it and the fork? Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to a little tool for fork leaks. http://www.sealmate.net/. Many times it is bugs or debris that gets in the seal. There is a video that shows how to use it.
    Gary
    2002 GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS FOR THAT WEB SITE. I JUST LOCATED THEM AT CYCLR GEAR.
    RIDE TO EAT, EAT TO RIDE. (R.A.S & S.S.) 2001 Valkyrie Interstate. 2004 Magenta Goldwing. Veteran U.S.A.F.

Post Thanks / Like

Move the dust seal up on the tube. Lift the front of the bike off the ground. If you do not do this some oil will leak out. Take a strip of film negative and insert it between the seal and tube. Move it completely around tube while using an up and down motion. I have had a left fork seal leaking every spring for a couple yrs. and I have done this with success both yrs. I also did this to my 1500 as well. I have since replaced the seal but I am convinced if I had chosen to do it again this spring it would have been good again.
    2002 Orange Goldwing DFT Trike

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfectly described!!! I bet if you told the average 30 year old or younger to use a piece of film negative, they would take the SD card out of the camera and find it wouldn't fit!!
    Gary
    2002 GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

I did get the sealmate from cycle gear. Works just as shown on their site video. No more seal leak,but I will be rebuilding my forks next week.
    RIDE TO EAT, EAT TO RIDE. (R.A.S & S.S.) 2001 Valkyrie Interstate. 2004 Magenta Goldwing. Veteran U.S.A.F.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes .. the seal you are looking at is a dust seal. Under it is another for sealing in fork fluid.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Left fork leaking

I recently noticed oil on the concrete on the left side of the front wheel of my 01 Wing. (strange how everyone has a leak on the left side) I thought it might be brake fluid but the reserv. was not low, and the oil was a little darker than new motor oil. I'm really glad I checked this forum before I started taking things apart. Hopefully the video mentioned earlier in this thread will show what I have to remove to get to the seal(s).

Thanks for the info, and any other suggestions would be appreciated!
    Money talks....mine usually says 'goodbye'.
    2001 Goldwing / 2009 Hannigan Trike
    2005 Honda VTX1300-R

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jmusick1 View Post
    I recently noticed oil on the concrete on the left side of the front wheel of my 01 Wing. (strange how everyone has a leak on the left side) I thought it might be brake fluid but the reserv. was not low, and the oil was a little darker than new motor oil. I'm really glad I checked this forum before I started taking things apart. Hopefully the video mentioned earlier in this thread will show what I have to remove to get to the seal(s).

Thanks for the info, and any other suggestions would be appreciated!
    Honda upgraded the left fork with a 2nd, inner seal on the 2006+.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fork oil

Don't forget to check the oil level in that fork. It's not enought to just run that tool, or film negative around the seal.

Even thought Honda doesn't call for regular maintenance on the forks, I would recommend it at least every other year, depending on mileage. I upgraded the springs and put in the RaceTech kit in early 2008. I decided to check and replace the fork oil in November 2010, not quite 3 years, and I couldn't believe how dirty and gunky that fork oil was!! I think changing the fork oil will save those bushings & seals from deterioration!!
    Gary
    2002 GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

wow, I love this list. My '04 1800 sprung a leak in the right tube a couple weeks ago. I found this thread wednesday and that night, I used an old negative film strip to fix it!

NOTE: I found that especially on old film, if you cut off the sprocket holes on both sides it works better. the corners of the sprockets WILL break off in most cases. So trim the sides smooth.

I tried it, and my forks were bone dry over a 50 mile ride on st. Patricks day.

Only problem is I took a vacation last week with it leaking BEFORE I found out about this solution, and lost a lot of fluid, so I still have to take it apart and put new fluid in both sides. Wish I had found out about this fix long ago, I could have fixed it the first day and not had to worry about fluid.

I will make sure all my riding clubs know about the fix though! Thanks everyone.
    Don
    Illinois
    2010 ABS GoldWing
    1986 Yamaha Venture Royale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ghump View Post
    Here is a link to a little tool for fork leaks. http://www.sealmate.net/. Many times it is bugs or debris that gets in the seal. There is a video that shows how to use it.
    Thanks for the post. I just ordered 2
    '05 CBC

Post Thanks / Like

A feeler guage works well also. It doesn't work for a seal installed upside down.

07 ABS Race Tech/Traxxion
    Anti Chrome #007 Darksider #157 http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt
    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55-16

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.