PCH is OPEN!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PCH is OPEN!

Post Thanks / Like

Default PCH is OPEN!

Yesterday, I took a ride down to my old stomping grounds in Salinas. There was light rain, but not enough to need my rain gear. Visited family and gave the grandkids their Easter candy. Then I rode down the PCH toward Big Sur. I expected the road to be closed at Rocky Creek, but it is open for one direction at a time. The road crew told me it will probably remain one lane until the end of the year. They have to drive soil nails in to hold the new retaining wall and that will take a long time.

Rather than complete the run to Big Sur, I turned around and headed for Half Moon Bay. I stopped in Castroville for lunch at the Central Texas Barbeque. That is one of the best places to eat on the Central Coast. A pound of brisket, beans, fried artichokes and salad filled me up with a big doggie bag to take home. And the price is really unbelievable. I've talked to people from all over the world who have mentioned the Central Texas BBQ and Don, the proprietor. If you are in the area, you should give it a try.

Rode on to La Honda, then to Pescadero and made it home just before sunset. The afternoon was breezy, as it almost always is along the PCH, but the weather was beautiful. This was one of the best rides I've had in a long time.

If you plan a ride on the PCH, allow extra time at Rocky Creek. But it is open once again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear one of my favorite roads is back in business again

Maybe next spring I will be healthy enough to enjoy it once again.

Seasoned Member
    Full time R.Ver, Lake Elsinore Ca. at present
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pch

Howdy - Great News, thanks for posting it...Best Wishes, Mike Dory

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew I wasn't dreaming. I did hear that it was open a few days back.
    So? What? No room for home made pie in Watsonville?
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmitch View Post
    Lets see... last time I checked, Army, Marines, and Airforce BEATS lame fat goldwing rider with a gun
    2004 GL1800AT
    2000 CBR929RR
    1987 CR500R
    1982 MB5
    1981 CB900F
    1971 CB836K1

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good. We will be on that section of road some time between July 6 & 8.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

One of two areas open...

This was from the 15th at Alder Creek...

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
    IS CLOSED 3.2 MI SOUTH OF GORDA (MONTEREY CO) - DUE TO A LAND SLIDE
    - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE
    Those of us northbound have choices to make, it seems...

● DS #512 ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Search Problems? Try this with Google: <search term> site:gl1800riders.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nedro View Post
    I knew I wasn't dreaming. I did hear that it was open a few days back.
    So? What? No room for home made pie in Watsonville?
    Gizdich was closed for Easter! i called ahead to check. Ended up with a Marie Callendar's pie to take home. There are those pie shops around Davenport and northwards, but who wants a cooked fresh strawberry pie?

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've talked to people from all over the world who have mentioned the Central Texas BBQ and Don, the proprietor. If you are in the area, you should give it a try.

We were there is Sept. "09. stayed just outside of Castroville at a condo on the beach. Central Texas BBQ was the first stop we made. Turns out Don is from the same home town as my wife. Bastrop, Texas. They had quite the reunion.

02' Illusion Blue

Post Thanks / Like

I would frequent the Central Texas BBQ a lot in the early 90's, but in the last 2-3 yrs my experience hasn't been that good. The food has been overcooked, dry, and tasteless. The last time I was in there the workers (young kids) were playing graba$$ with each other and could have cared less about taking our order.
    Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 42,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
    Central CA.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.