10/40 or 10/30 weight oil
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/40 or 10/30 weight oil

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 10/40 or 10/30 weight oil

The manual recommends 10/30 weight but my dealer recommeds 10/40. What weight do you guys use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see... I'm going to ignore the manual, created by the manufacturer of the product, and do what some dude at the dealership says or some people I don't know on a message board. There's some sound logic. LOL!

10w30 Full synthetic. Every 8,000 miles (as the manual states) whether it's needed or not. If you're in an area where it's always hot weather you could get away with 10w40.
    Last edited by William Anzik; 05-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
    Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

The manual states both 10/30 and 10/40 depends on climate temp. so both are ok unless you live in extreme heat or extreme cold.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Droptine View Post
    The manual recommends 10/30 weight but my dealer recommeds 10/40. What weight do you guys use?
    We all live in different climates. I would re-read your Owners Manual to see what it recommends for your climate.
    Last edited by GoldWingrGreg; 05-12-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When the GL1800 was first released in 2001, the service manual called for 10w-40 oil. At some point in subsequent years (I think it was 2006) Honda changed the recommendation in the owners and service manuals to 10w-30 oil. Though I'm not aware of any changes to the lubrication system or engine that caused that change. I'm not sure what factors were involved in Honda changing the recommendation either, but I have a couple good guesses.

In some respects, 10w-30 is a superior viscosity simply because it doesn't contain as much VI (Viscosity Index Improver polymer) additive in it, which means it has a higher oil content to begin with. Some 10w-40 oils can have as much as 30% VI additive by volume, which means you have less lubricating oil to begin with, and VI additive by itself has no lubricating properties. Auto manufactures stopped using 10w-40 oil many years ago because it simply breaks down too fast, and my best guess is that this is also why Honda has shifted away from it.

10w-40 should work fine in all year bikes, but you need to be aware that it breaks down faster due to the higher VI content in it, so you'll need to change it a bit sooner. If you can find the brand you like in a 10w-30 blend, that would probably be a better choice. The only problem I've found is that it's hard to find any motorcycle oils in a 10w-30 viscosity.

Synthetic oil doesn't need as much VI additive in it to begin with, so a 10w-40 in a synthetic is also a good choice, and will probably hold up as good or better as a conventional oil in a 10w-30.

Post Thanks / Like

In this case, I speculate (an educated speculation) that Honda began including 10-30 as a suggested choice, perhaps the primay choice, NOT based upon any mechanical foundation, but rather to improve their standing for federal fleet fuel efficiency averages. Unless I were in a cool area during most of my ridning, I would choose not to consider the 10-30 for this machine. In a cooler area, 10-30 may save you a few pennies in fuel cost over the service life of the bike.

prs
    2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

Post Thanks / Like

all the above-
    10-30 0r 10-40 MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

Post Thanks / Like

5w40 T6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerrieric View Post
    5w40 T6
    I would NOT reccomend using a 5w-anything oil in a motorcycle where the transmission is lubricated by the engine oil. 5w-40 is made from a base stock 5 weight oil, and it's simply too thin an oil to protect your transmission.

Furthermore, I fully expect to be punished severely for posting on an oil thread, and I'm certain I'll regret it before the end of the day. Oh well....

Post Thanks / Like

Use whatever is on sale, a good rule of thumb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
    ................Furthermore, I fully expect to be punished severely for posting on an oil thread, and I'm certain I'll regret it before the end of the day. Oh well....

Isn't funny how people refuse to use the search feature??????????
    There are more threads posted on oil than any other topic and therefore more data to read than a person would care to on the subject.
    Current rides:
    73 Yamaha RD 350
    85 Yamaha RZ 350
    79 Yamaha Daytona 400
    82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
    08 Honda Goldwing Airbag-Full Monty Traxxion
    03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
    82 Yamaha YZ 250
    02 VTX 1800C
    06 Yamaha YZF-R1
    06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
    02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreakrem View Post

There are more threads posted on oil than any other topic and therefore more data to read than a person would care to on the subject.

Yea, but where is the sport in that?
    Cheers and Good Riding, Keith
    DROP, FALL, AND DOWN ARE 4 LETTER WORDS
    I, my typing, and spelling are far from perfect. Get over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil

Fred, I hope you’re telling the truth with respect to this 5W oil or you’ll be water boarded mercilessly for your transgressions. This is not a safe place to venture with such outlandish statements…You should know better…lol
    What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never cheat anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride my Goldwing, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluestreakrem View Post

I do understand where your comming from.

However, the search feature on this board blows dog chow out of both ends. Of all the boards I have been on, this is the very worst, period.

I have used the search numerous times, and it spits out nothing what Im looking for

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information Fred. If anyone is qualified to make a statement regarding lubricants or chemicals, it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
    I would NOT reccomend using a 5w-anything oil in a motorcycle where the transmission is lubricated by the engine oil. 5w-40 is made from a base stock 5 weight oil, and it's simply too thin an oil to protect your transmission.

Furthermore, I fully expect to be punished severely for posting on an oil thread, and I'm certain I'll regret it before the end of the day. Oh well....
    Last edited by Shooters; 05-12-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the oil charts from both series of the 1800, you decide, it's your bike.

01-05 owners manual.

06 and later.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil Weight

I use 20-50 Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil. It gets reasonably hot here.
    Bill
    kg5ie
    Harley Davidson FLSTC

Post Thanks / Like

Since 10w30 oils "break down faster" than 10w40 oils I'm shocked that the OCIs for both viscosities are..................identical.

I suspect we will soon see a slew of engine failures of everyone running 10w40 oil who hasn't modified their oil change interval to reflect the use of this inferior oil.
    ​Rob in Maine
    IBA # 17985

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kg5ie View Post
    I use 20-50 Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil. It gets reasonably hot here.
    +1

2005 GL1800 Metalic Blue
    Honda CB400 Red SuperSport 1974

Darksider # 320
    Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16 31#'s
    Bridgestone Battlax Rear Tire in the front 40#'s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerrieric View Post
    5w40 T6
    +1
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic24080_4.gif

Grayson, GA (Atlanta is a small suburb of Grayson!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 10W-40 in summer & 10W-30 in winter.

Same for my F-150 V-8.
    Paul - AKA BugEyedTurkey
    Dark Sider #114
    PM, Grayson 549, F&AM
    E-mail: k4bet@bellsouth.net
    Traveling Men Masonic Motorcycle Group
    http://www.travelingmen.com
    Christian Motorcyclists Association
    http://www.cmacrossties.org
    POAG (Peace Officers Ass'n. of GA)
    http://www.poag.org
    Blue Knights Gwinnett, GA #16

(ô¿ô)

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

01, 190K miles on Rotella syn, 07 118K miles on Rotella Syn 5W40. My neighbors little honda car calls for 5W20.
    Ed Jenkins (Jenks), Pawnee, Il
    AMA, Charter Life, HRCA Charter Member
    BMWMOA 75585
    IBA 16990 PROWLER 37
    Alcan Highway Survivor 07
    Member 1800GW 300K Club

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil

Techdude, Thank you. Your chart is on the money matches my shop manual for my 06. I run 15w50 all the time ,

Spectro full sythentic..
    Murf

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the best oil I have ever used, wing shifts like butter.

later..Randy
    later...Randy

2005 Goldwing Dark Gray Metallic... It's Gone To A New Owner.

...GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who have responded in a positive way. It has given me things to consider. To those few jerks who complain about someone posting an oil thread I say grow up and keep your opinions to yourselves; your opinions are worthless and a waste of my time. If you do not like oil threads then skip them. Nobody is forcing you to read them.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by jerrieric
    5w40 T6
    Quote Originally Posted by hogmemberisold View Post
    +1
    +2
    I use Rotella T6 as well.

The 5w-40 T6 is one of very very few automotive oils that is JASO MA certified for use in a motorcycle with a shared engine and transmission sump and wet clutch. So that pretty much shoots any claim right out of the water that says a 5w base viscosity is inherently bad for a motorcycle transmission. Claims like that are based on personal beliefs, and nothing else. (That isn't necessarily bad, but it's a lot different than fact.) Besides, the base number in the viscosity only indicates how thick the oil is when cold. I couldn't care less what the oil starts out as in its crude form. I only care how it performs. And a 10 weight base stock isn't any slipperier than a 5 weight.

I won't challenge anyone who voices a concern as to whether 5w is really an acceptable choice, because it definitely is outside Honda's recommendation for the Wing. But to make a blanket statement that it is bad is groundless.

I would use 10w-30, or even 10w-40. But it is not widely available in the T6. I am more concerned about the quality of the oil than the viscosity. At this point, until I find something I feel is the better choice, I believe in the T6. It is very popular and has been widely used in all segments of motorcycling for quite some time, and has a great reputation.

FWIW, I ran a jug of Mobil 15w-50, and the transmission was clunky and hard to shift from day one. So much for a higher viscosity being better for the trans.
    Last edited by Sparky57; 05-13-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who have responded in a positive way. It has given me things to consider. To those few jerks who complain about someone posting an oil thread I say grow up and keep your opinions to yourselves; your opinions are worthless and a waste of my time. If you do not like oil threads then skip them. Nobody is forcing you to read them.

The nature of interweb boards. You'll get used to it, or have a breakdown.

Just to keep it oil related, use the 10-30 or 10-40 as the owners manual says. Stay away from"Energy Conserving" as it could make the clutch slip. I prefer the Rotell diesel oils, because of the extra soot control. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy, if it really does anything extra for the Wing is up for grabs. I like the 5W-40, and although I respect Fred I do feel different on that one.

Ride safe, long and happy.
    Cheers and Good Riding, Keith
    DROP, FALL, AND DOWN ARE 4 LETTER WORDS
    I, my typing, and spelling are far from perfect. Get over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
    +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
    .............So that pretty much shoots any claim right out of the water that says a 5w base viscosity is inherently bad for a motorcycle transmission.
    Sounds like you haven't owned and worked on many motorcycles.
    If you had any history with motorcycles and/or gear boxes, you would know they prefer a heavier weight oil than lighter one. While a 5W base stock oil is not inherently BAD for the transmission, it certainly will not perform as well as a heavier weight oil. IMO, That's what Fred was trying to convey. Just because a certain oil is JASO certified, that doesn't mean it will shift better than a non JSAO oil.

Claims like that are based on personal beliefs, and nothing else.
    Your right.............It's called experience.

............And a 10 weight base stock isn't any slipperier than a 5 weight.
    A heavier weight is not inherently slipperier than a lighter weight but it's a better choice in gear boxes due to impact loads generated by clashing and meshing of the teeth and high loads per square inch as found at the gear teeth. When shear factor is considered, lubricity of the oil film has more do with the weight of the oil than anything else. The polymer package additives only enhance the base stocks ability to sustain shear resistance. And as Fred explained earlier, an oil with a wider weight range has more polymers added which expose it to shear more than a straight weight oil does. Therefore it breaks down faster. That's why you see only straight weights of 80 or 90 when used only for gear box service. In my 40+ years in the rotating equipment field working with gear drives, I've never seen anything less than a straight weight 80 or 90 weight gear oil specified for them. I've been to many gear and transmission seminars and can tell you a heavier weight oil is better than a lighter one in transmissions.

I won't challenge anyone who voices a concern as to whether 5w is really an acceptable choice, because it definitely is outside Honda's recommendation for the Wing. But to make a blanket statement that it is bad is groundless.
    As explained above...........5W is not necessarily bad, just not as good as a heavier weight.

FWIW, I ran a jug of Mobil 15w-50, and the transmission was clunky and hard to shift from day one. So much for a higher viscosity being better for the trans.
    That is your limited experience with one oil and probably only in one motorcycle. While I find what you say hard to believe, those of us that work in this field for a living know all too well that gear boxes and bike transmissions work better with heavier oils than lighter ones. Much better.
    See my above response in bold type.
    Current rides:
    73 Yamaha RD 350
    85 Yamaha RZ 350
    79 Yamaha Daytona 400
    82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
    08 Honda Goldwing Airbag-Full Monty Traxxion
    03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
    82 Yamaha YZ 250
    02 VTX 1800C
    06 Yamaha YZF-R1
    06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
    02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loren View Post
    I do understand where your comming from.

However, the search feature on this board blows dog chow out of both ends. Of all the boards I have been on, this is the very worst, period.

I have used the search numerous times, and it spits out nothing what Im looking for
    I'm not the only one that hate the search on this site!! Yeah...

Post Thanks / Like

When searching make sure to put as few words as possible in the search bar. Then, make sure you search <titles only>. Fewer hits, but much more relevant hits.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled oil thread..................
    ​Rob in Maine
    IBA # 17985

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.