Goldwing Mods and Upgrades!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goldwing Mods and Upgrades!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Goldwing Mods and Upgrades!

I purchased a 2007 Wing in March of 2010, it had 5000 miles on it, it has 25000 miles now. I have seen a lot of questions about what things people should upgrade first. Here is what and when I upgraded and my opinion of the upgrade. Like everything, you have to form your own opinion, I Hope this helps a little!

Traxxion, The Fully Monty : June 2010, expensive but worth every penny!

Kuryakyn Grips and Throttle Boss: June 2010, removed in Sept 2010, I didn't find them comfortable, and they really cut the amount of heat coming from the heated grips. Replaced in Mar 2011 with Grip Puppies which are perfect!

Alaska Sheepskins: June 2010, Love them (ugly as sin, but very comfortable, 1000 mile days without numb butt!)

Soundgate: Apr 2011, so far so good

Polk DB501: Mar 2011, replaced all 4 speakers, very, very disappointed. Around town at lower speeds sound quality is improved above 60 mph sound quality and volume levels are insufficient!

Ultimate Backrest: Mar 2011, as scary as it was to cut into the seat, install was pretty straightforward, and it makes a huge difference on longer rides!

Garmin Zumo 660: transferred it from my VTX in Mar 2010, I like it, but on a motorcycle GPS you should be able to search for nearby Motorcycle shops a function that is sadly lacking!

Darkside: Apr 2011, Excellent, Nuff said!

Fibroconcept Trailer with pet option: June 2008, Awesome! and DOG is my co-pilot!

Kuryakyn Switchblade Highway Pegs: May 2010

Fog Lamps: March 2010 Excellent, I use them as running lights all the time!

Kuryakyn Triple Exhaust Extensions: May 2011, look good, keeps the exhaust off the dog!

Aerostich Intercom adaptors: May 2011, Gr8 product, excellent sound

Honda Spoiler with Brake light: May 2010, very nice!

Radio Knob Mod for Gas Cap and RH pocket: May 2010 Love it!

I'm sure I forgot something, and after reviewing my list I'm going to make sure my wife doesn't see it!
    GWRick'ster

Capt Retired after 26 years in the Air Force.
    2007 Honda GoldWing Cabernet Red
    1975 Honda 400/Four
    Fibroconcept Trailer W/Pet Option
    Darkside #923
    Michelin Alpin 32 psi
    Bridgestone Battlax 40 PSI
    Traxxion Suspension

Past rides:
    1977 Honda CJ 360T
    1981 Yamaha IT250
    1982 Honda CB750F
    1984 Honda VF1000F
    2004 Honda VTX 1300 Retro
    2009 Ducati GT 1000
    2010 Triumph Thruxton

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default questions

What brand fog lights and what kind of CT did you go with. I am seriously considering go to the dark side. Thanks

If you want to add another product I highly recomend the Muth blue tint turn signal mirrors. easy install and add a safer ride and looks very classy.
    2005 GL1800 Darksider #977
    Kumho 195/55/16 32 PSI Bridgestone 709 38 PSI W/Centramatics
    May God Bless The USA and All Of Her Servicemen & Women.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VA_Redknights View Post
    What brand fog lights and what kind of CT did you go with. I am seriously considering go to the dark side. Thanks

If you want to add another product I highly recomend the Muth blue tint turn signal mirrors. easy install and add a safer ride and looks very classy.
    TY for the reccomendation. I have a Falken on the back and am installing a BT709 on the front on Tuesday. I have no idea what brand the Foglamps are, The PO hhad them put on when I got the bike from him along with a chrome cowl. I'll try to remember to try and pick up a name off of them next time I am out in the garage. They are halogen and work very well!
    GWRick'ster

1975 Honda 400/Four
    Darkside #923
    Michelin Alpin 32 psi
    Traxxion Suspension

Past rides:
    1977 Honda CJ 360T
    1981 Yamaha IT250
    1982 Honda CB750F
    1984 Honda VF1000F
    2009 Ducati GT 1000
    2010 Triumph Thruxton

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your mods. I do have a question about one mod that confused me.

Polk DB501: Mar 2011, replaced all 4 speakers, very, very disappointed. Around town at lower speeds sound quality is improved above 60 mph sound quality and volume levels are insufficient!
    How did you fit the db501 in the front? The 501 is used in the front only on the 01-05 bikes. The front speakers on the 06-10 take a 6.5" speaker, and the db501 is only a 5". Most owners have been using the db651 in the front.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    Thanks for sharing your mods. I do have a question about one mod that confused me.

How did you fit the db501 in the front? The 501 is used in the front only on the 01-05 bikes. The front speakers on the 06-10 take a 6.5" speaker, and the db501 is only a 5". Most owners have been using the db651 in the front.
    Hi Larry, I hope you didn't think my post on the Polks was a shot at you or any one else! After spending a pile of money (things are much pricier here) I found out that on the 2007 the speaker mounts came in two sizes http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276528 ( Check jay905 comments) and I ended up with the smaller opening. Of course, I didnt find this out until after I tried modifying the db651 to fit. So, after buying 2 * db651 and 2*db501 I ended up having to buy another 2*db501 for the front. I have packed my openings with polyfil, which made a slight improvement, but overall the experience has been pretty frustrating and not cheap. I may get brave and try to enlarge the speaker openings over the winter but that looks like it will involve cutting/grinding into some pretty thick steel. I appreciate your and everyone's reccommendations. It just didn't pan out for me. TY
    GWRick'ster

1975 Honda 400/Four
    Darkside #923
    Michelin Alpin 32 psi
    Traxxion Suspension

Past rides:
    1977 Honda CJ 360T
    1981 Yamaha IT250
    1982 Honda CB750F
    1984 Honda VF1000F
    2009 Ducati GT 1000
    2010 Triumph Thruxton

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Love my 03' GW, but when looking at it at nite; Scarey! From side view, was not much to notice. My first big issue was adding lights to be seen. Replace reflectors with LED ones, opera leds over valve covers, and a set of saddlebag/trunks lights. Spoiler and led brake light followed, then front fog lights. Comfort next with handlebar risers, backrest, foam grip puppies, and tunnel filters. Luxury followed with windbender and electric, gps, better speakers, better intercom (autocomm), spring suspension replacement, xm radio, steering damper, lowering kit, forkbrace, airwings, highway pegs, butler cups, and more odds and ends. Finally spent more on extra's, then full cost of GW! Do Not do this all a once $$$$$

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.