How to build a gear shift indicator from scratch
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to build a gear shift indicator from scratch

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to build a gear shift indicator from scratch

If any of you guys are up to speed with electronics (no, it doesn't require vacuum tubes) here is the link:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...006/index.html

If anyone gets it built let us know!

Here is a YouTube of its operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPNxT...eature=related

The sun in the video makes it a little hard to read the led.
    We wish our troops success and a safe return.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting concept indeed, but I'm afraid that every time a mis-shift happens (GW's gearbox isn't the greatest), this device will keep counting gears.... not very useful IMHO.
    “Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marker4x4 View Post
    Interesting concept indeed, but I'm afraid that every time a mis-shift happens (GW's gearbox isn't the greatest), this device will keep counting gears.... not very useful IMHO.
    I suspect you're right.

It is actually simple to put together a Gear Indicator for the Wing (using not much more than a handful of diodes and resistors), because it has a built-in Gear Position Sensor. The hardest part is accessing the connector. On a non-ABS bike it's not too bad, but on an ABS bike it's a real pain (I know, because I've "done it" - i.e. I helped my mechanic friend do it on my bike!).

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I must ask, why does one need a gear shift indicator anyway? If you are one with the bike and know how to ride, then you always know what gear you are in, correct? Otherwise I think it wise to give up riding and find another hobby if you don't know what gear you are in. Just saying.....
    2007 Honda GL1800 Comfy, Navi, Prem Audio
    2006 Yamaha XV1700 Road Star Warrior
    2004 Honda GL1800
    2001 Harley Electra Glide Classic
    1998 Kawasaki VN1500A Vulcan
    1994 Honda GL1500SE
    1990 Kawasaki KLR650 Tengai
    1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
    1978 Yamaha XS1100 Special
    1972 Kawasaki S2 350
    1976 Suzuki RM125
    1974 Yamaha MX100

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toynaround View Post
    OK, I must ask, why does one need a gear shift indicator anyway? If you are one with the bike and know how to ride, then you always know what gear you are in, correct? Otherwise I think it wise to give up riding and find another hobby if you don't know what gear you are in. Just saying.....
    Unbelievable!
    Gene Young
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Blue 2001 non-ABS

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice piece of engineering, execution, and documentation. Kudos to the designer. I was wondering about missed shifts as well and speculating putting the hall effect devices at the extreme end of travel would obviate the missed shift issue.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

shifting up I don't have a problem but sometimes in traffic in town and stop lights I find my bike in 1st instead of 2nd that makes it interesting

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I must ask, why does one need a gear shift indicator anyway? If you are one with the bike and know how to ride, then you always know what gear you are in, correct?
    I'm sure most all of us have been riding motorcycles for 35+ years. I have. Through those years we've all gone without a gear indicator and survived just fine.

We've also gone through the years with bikes without fairings, windshields, cruise control, radios, reverse, heated grips & seats, gps, abs, electricly controled rear suspension, disc brakes, hydraulic clutches & brakes, and even centerstands. But we must agree that these technologic improvements sure are nice.

I never thought too much about a gear indicator until I purchased a 2008 Yamaha FJR1300 that had one. After riding the FJR for a while I noticed how positive & helpful it was to have an easy-to-read & always correct gear indicator. I grew to really enjoy it and would glance at it occasionally when ever there was any question of what gear I was in.

Sure, we all can survive and ride without one. But it sure is a nice gadget to have and I feel the Goldwing should come with one.
    Last edited by GeoKittGL1800; 05-22-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoKittGL1800 View Post
    I'm sure most all of us have been riding motorcycles for 35+ years. I have. Sure, we all can survive and ride without one. But it sure is a nice gadget to have and I feel the Goldwing should come with one.
    Kent
    2004 White Wing TE
    LIMNCS-#77

Post Thanks / Like

True wisdom has spoken, hallelujah!!!
    “Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end.”

Post Thanks / Like

Toynaround,

May the force be with you my son. I really think you, being so much one with your mystical motocy, should show us how much one you are with said metal steed, and just ride blindfolded. I'm sure Luke Skywalker can.

I REALLY love posters like you. Your kind make this board FUN.

We wish our troops success and a safe return.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wing View Post
    .... The hardest part is accessing the connector....on an ABS bike it's a real pain (I know, because I've "done it" - i.e. I helped my mechanic friend do it on my bike!).
    I've done it twice already (accessing the dreaded ABS'ed gear sensor plug, that is)....
    Mounted the OWL device, then had to remove it because the controller box was messed up - caused all kinds of "unrelated" problems; didn't know that until rode the bike

In the course of doing that, I had to re&re the shelter extra few times because (how else!!!!) I forgot something.

Anyway, it's getting easier as I keep doing this. I reckon, my air filter access time by now is below 20min from scratch, including break for cold suds

Notorious Rocket Scientist The Astute Reader(tm)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I must disagree. On a bike with a wide powerband and fairly close ratios it is very easy to mistake the current gear.
    Best Regards,
    Lee E. Brown

"Greetings from Herkheimer Industries!"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You know Just saying here.

But why do guys install
    extra lights
    Gps
    radar dectors
    ipod etc
    aftermarket suspension
    different tires
    different windshields

etc etc etc.

Becausae it's what they want.THat's what makes us different but with the same thing in common "Motorcycles".

As for the gear indicator.I don't have one but think it's a neat little device for anyone who wants one.I look at bikes and toys like this "It's your money-Spend it anyway you want too!"

ORrrrrr.
    "If you have to ask-YOU wouldn't understand!" lol

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are one with the bike? Holy crap! Are you kidding?

Dude, you watched too many episodes of Kung Fu when you were young.

You want me to remember what gear I'm in? Heck, I need a GPS just so that I can remember where I'm going.

Excuse me now. It's time for my afternoon meditation.
    Last edited by LarryM; 05-23-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Larry
    2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.