Concealed Handgun Permits & Entering Canada??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Handgun Permits & Entering Canada??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Concealed Handgun Permits & Entering Canada??

All the currently running posts inquiring about or discussing firearms in Canada have raised a question that I would like to ask.

I have a concealed handgun license (CHL) issued by my state of Texas. When I took the CHL training we were told to always show the CHL when asked to show a driver's license. Example, a police officer or state trooper stops me for a taillamp out or minor speed violation, show my TX DL and TX CHL whether carrying or not. We were told that police computers display the CHL when a records check is made by a police officer. I know that is true within the state of Texas, do not know if TX shares that information with other states, a national register, or even international register.

I know, of course, that I cannot carry a handgun into Canada at anytime under any circumstances. I would not consider doing that. I also know that Canadian customs officials are very serious about handguns. If I were planning a trip that would take me into Canada I would leave my handgun at home.

My question: If I should travel into Canada should I show my CHL at the border check point along with my passport, driver's license, registration, insurance card, etc?

Question 2: Do Canadian customs computers have the information that US police computers do ie do they know if they pull my personal information up in their computers that I have a CHL?

I don't want to attract negative attention by showing my CHL to a customs official but neither do I want to appear to be concealing it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 - no, you would be bringing additional questions & possible search.
    # 2 - sorry, can't help

Post Thanks / Like

I traveled up to Canada with a work colleague who stupidly (pre-9/11) didn't bring a passport or birth certificate. She proceeded to pull out her gun card for identification at the Canadian border. THAT was fun.

DISCLAIMER: This next comment is not meant to turn this into a "gun-debate":

Many folks outside the US assume we're all packing. I wouldn't be surprised to be asked each time I go to Canada if I have a gun..they assume you do and in many cases (due to us not being too bright and leaving them home etc.) we DO.

I wouldn't show ANY border agent anything but the minimum (Passport) and then politely and very briefly and simply answer any questions they ask. There is a post on another thread that was great by a person who went to Canada a lot as to the best "answers"..I'll try to find that. EDIT: last post, page one. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284825

But to the OP...NO, I wouldn't show anything to anyone at a border other than your passport. And if something shows in your record as having a CCP or whatever, deal with it when asked and be honest and forthcoming.

And leave your guns...and pepperspray, drugs, etc..back at home IMHO.
    Darksider #264 and PROWLER #66

Post Thanks / Like

Canadian customs does not have access to US information. It's not a one world government, not yet.

If you drive into Canada at 2 PM, turn around and go through duty free and re-enter the US at 3PM, you can tell the US CO that you've been in Canada for 48 hours (the minimum time for duty free purchases) and they have now way of knowing if you've been truthful or not.

Never offer anything more than your passport. The more information you offer, the more questions they ask. Your goal is to give them the minimum information to gain access to their country. In fact, only your drivers license is required by Canada, a passport is not required by Canadian law. Only the US requires the passport and many checkpoints accept your license only as well.
    All God's children have 'Wings.

Scott R McCaffrey
    '02 Silver
    Customized by Scarecrow
    '14 Pearl Blue Level 2
    Not yet Customized by Scarecrow
    GWRRA # 299549
    IBA # 48009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
    All the currently running posts inquiring about or discussing firearms in Canada have raised a question that I would like to ask.

I have a concealed handgun license (CHL) issued by my state of Texas. When I took the CHL training we were told to always show the CHL when asked to show a driver's license. Example, a police officer or state trooper stops me for a taillamp out or minor speed violation, show my TX DL and TX CHL whether carrying or not. We were told that police computers display the CHL when a records check is made by a police officer. I know that is true within the state of Texas, do not know if TX shares that information with other states, a national register, or even international register.

I know, of course, that I cannot carry a handgun into Canada at anytime under any circumstances. I would not consider doing that. I also know that Canadian customs officials are very serious about handguns. If I were planning a trip that would take me into Canada I would leave my handgun at home.

My question: If I should travel into Canada should I show my CHL at the border check point along with my passport, driver's license, registration, insurance card, etc?

Question 2: Do Canadian customs computers have the information that US police computers do ie do they know if they pull my personal information up in their computers that I have a CHL?

I don't want to attract negative attention by showing my CHL to a customs official but neither do I want to appear to be concealing it.
    You are required to show your Passport only, for identification purposes.

As far as I know, access to American records are done via NCIC only. Canada's CPIC is not linked to NCIC.

Canada doesn't care if you have a CHL....as long as "you left your guns at home Bill" just like the Johnny Cash song says.
    Better to be a "Has Been" than a "Never Been".
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"
    Road Captain
    Blue Knights
    Kawartha Chapter XV
    GWRRA #220254

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
    No.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    Canadian customs does not have access to US information. It's not a one world government, not yet.

If you drive into Canada at 2 PM, turn around and go through duty free and re-enter the US at 3PM, you can tell the US CO that you've been in Canada for 48 hours (the minimum time for duty free purchases) and they have now way of knowing if you've been truthful or not.

Never offer anything more than your passport. The more information you offer, the more questions they ask. Your goal is to give them the minimum information to gain access to their country. In fact, only your drivers license is required by Canada, a passport is not required by Canadian law. Only the US requires the passport and many checkpoints accept your license only as well.
    They must have access to some kind of info. I had a friend turned away at the border because they figured out he had a previous dui.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldRider View Post
    They must have access to some kind of info. I had a friend turned away at the border because they figured out he had a previous dui.
    Yes, and I also have friend that discovered his false charge of assault and battery was available to the Canadian officials while trying to enter Canada in the Buffalo area. He was denied access into Canada, nearly lost his job, and spent a lot of money and time trying to get the charge expunged from his record. He thought the false charge had been resolved. After much grief and embarrassment and many dollars in legal fees, all is well now. Somehow, if you have any skeletons within your closet, they know.
    There is always an "OVER YONDER"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldRider View Post
    They can definitely run a "Triple I" check, which which show ANY arrest you have ever had (not sure if it shows juvenile stuff).

As far as showing them a CCL? No way. Driver's license.....don't give them a reason to decide that you are "one of those undesirable Americans"
    19?? Honda Mini Trail 50
    19?? Honda XL 70
    1975 Honda CB 125
    1980 Honda CB 650 Custom
    1981 Honda CX 500
    1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
    1993 Harley FLHS
    2002 Harley Ultra Classic
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic
    2012 Level 1 Goldwing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

They ARE definitely linked somehow I know of at least 3 people that are banned from entering the states for various reasons. All up here problems (2 DUI's)
    So there is some sort of data sharing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Canadian officials have some access to US information. That's why I asked the question.

Several years ago when I was working for an RV transport company hauling trailers for hire the company told drivers that if they had ever had a DUI or criminal conviction not to bother trying to take a load to Canada because they would be denied entry.

I have no DUI or arrest record but I suspect all states in the US as well as Canada have access to such information as the fact that a CHL was issued to me.

Can anyone in law enforcement comment on this?

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion, don't listen to anyone here and contact an official source representing Canada to get your answer. Just look at this thread, half says one thing the other the opposite. Who do you believe? I wouldn't believe a single person here. Ask about a Goldwing and that you can believe. Everything else you should go elsewhere to get the real deal. This is not a Canadian customs/border patrol board.
    Ray aka "FUSE"

A lil ol' video I made in 05'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUSE View Post
    My opinion, don't listen to anyone here and contact an official source representing Canada to get your answer. Just look at this thread, half says one thing the other the opposite. Who do you believe? I wouldn't believe a single person here. Ask about a Goldwing and that you can believe. Everything else you should go elsewhere to get the real deal. This is not a Canadian customs/border patrol board.
    EXACTLY...................

"Dream as if you live live forever, and live as if you will die today"
    Topster
    02 IB ABS Gold Wing
    http://WWW.Topster10.com
    http://WWW.Essextroop.org

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the OP. NO, you cannot take a handgun into Canada. Give them your passport, drivers license and whatever they ask for. Answer all questions directly and to the point. They may ask you questions that you think are silly, but they are experts at evaluating your demeanor and every word you say. Canada is a great place to visit and if you want to go there, you have to play by their rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Canadian customs is linked directly to Homeland Security/NCIC/FBI data bases in the US. All this occurred after 9/11 at he insistence of the US according to my Canadian riding buddy who is a retired Canadian Bureaucrat. The Canada Border Patrol/Customs can access all US law enforcement and criminal rcords in real time just like any US law enforcement agency.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not mention guns, permits or anything of the sort.

They take a different view.

I wouldnt lie, if asked a direct question.

But in no way would I mention rights, or permits to a subject of

Canada.

Don
    Wingin West Florida

DS #261
    BridgeStone 709 37 PSI
    Kumho 195/55 Run Flat 30 PSI
    Current Bikes:
    Honda Goldwing 08' + Starlight Trailer 09'
    BMW K75
    Cannondale E440
    Rickman Matisse 250 MX
    Rickman Matisse 125 ISDT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chl

Interesting answers. The two customs agencies MIGHT have access to each others CRIMINAL records...DUI, Arrests etc. but they DO NOT have access to records such as CHL's. In fact, I asked a very good friend who is a Texas Dept of Public Safety officer, if when he pulls a car over and calls in the plates exactly what information is sent to him. Registered owner, Wants and Warrants and that was it. I said then you don't know if I am a licensed CHL holder and he said "Only if we specifically ask for it and then it takes a few minutes".
    We went into Canada a couple of years ago and my son, who had a DUI that Daddy never knew about was denied entry for a while but was offered for $250 an eight day Canadian temporary citizenship. He took it and Momma was happy to have all her kids with her for Christmas. I told him that eventually Daddy always finds out.
    Dan Drew IBA 49343
    If 10% is enough for Jesus then it should be enough for Uncle Sam

www.truelife.org

Post Thanks / Like

Dont show the gun toteing permit in Canada

Also dont show your library card, that also is not valid in Canada

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So how does that work for people traveling to Alaska? You have to ship your gun/guns?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibboatin28 View Post
    So how does that work for people traveling to Alaska? You have to ship your gun/guns?
    You can get a permit to pass through with long guns NOT handguns
    For those you have to either store them on US side until your return or ship pretrip to Alaska

Post Thanks / Like

md11pilot, how old was that dwi your son had??

Post Thanks / Like

Canada does not allow handguns except for legelly authorized competition.
    If you declare it, they will turn you away. If you don't and they find it they will haul you away (to jail).
    John Bales, MSG (Ret) USA
    Indy
    2005 GL1800, Candy Black Cherry
    2009 Escapade Elite

Kelowna, British Columbia/ Lake Havasu City Ari.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Canadian customs is linked directly to Homeland Security/NCIC/FBI data bases in the US. All this occurred after 9/11 at he insistence of the US according to my Canadian riding buddy who is a retired Canadian Bureaucrat. The Canada Border Patrol/Customs can access all US law enforcement and criminal rcords in real time just like any US law enforcement agency.
    100% correct
    As well CPIC and NCIC checks are not any more difficult than entering the request into the search parameters.
    PearlBlue..
    IBA # 15579
    SSx2, BB2500K, BBG, B2B Insanity

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I decided a longtime ago that I'll be keeping my gun-toting-but-protected arse within these borders.

I will also deal with airport security, only if it's absolutely necessary.

"Real" Big Dogs don't need to bark!

It's only an "Old Man's Bike" if you ride it like one.

IBA # 25105
    1000 in 24 (Certified
    1500 in 36 (Certified)
    1500 in 24 (Certified)

Darksider # 37
    Double Darkside (on the slab)
    Bridgestone Bias-ply G701

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MD11Pilot View Post
    Interesting answers. The two customs agencies MIGHT have access to each others CRIMINAL records...DUI, Arrests etc. but they DO NOT have access to records such as CHL's. In fact, I asked a very good friend who is a Texas Dept of Public Safety officer, if when he pulls a car over and calls in the plates exactly what information is sent to him. Registered owner, Wants and Warrants and that was it. I said then you don't know if I am a licensed CHL holder and he said "Only if we specifically ask for it and then it takes a few minutes".
    We went into Canada a couple of years ago and my son, who had a DUI that Daddy never knew about was denied entry for a while but was offered for $250 an eight day Canadian temporary citizenship. He took it and Momma was happy to have all her kids with her for Christmas. I told him that eventually Daddy always finds out.
    Might be that way in Texas. But in Kansas if I run your licence dispatch will tell me if you have a CCL or if you do not have a CCL.

Last time I talked to a Texas S.O. he told me that it was Texas State Law that CCL holders had to show there CCL if they were stopped by police in Texas. Which I think is a great law lets the Officer know that there is a gun in the car and that the gun probably wont be used against him.Otherwise an Officer might screw his gun in your ear till he finds out whats up if he sees a gun and doesnt know you have a CCL.

No I have never had to bring out my weapon while riding any bike. Very few times while on duty. I have seen what happenes to Officers who have had to use their weapons on or off duty and when justified to do so it still changes their lives. I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

Also as a LEO I have always believed in the right of citizens to carry a weapon for selfdefence. Bad guys have always had them.

R

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would , like you said. leave the gun at home and when you get to the border just show what they ask for and answer their questions short and sweet with no added comments. The only information that both crossings carry is the names of people with records. Leave the gun home and we are happy to see you come visit.

Jim
    Four wheels move the body,
    Two wheels move the soul.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That bit about showing your license and CHL together must be a Texas thing. I have a CHL in Oregon and I've never shown them together. I did have one officer mention the permit and ask me if I was carrying a weapon after I had shown my license so I know they're linked.
    I suppose you could make a case for telling an officer who has stopped you that you have a CHL and are carrying as a courtesy and to avoid any entaglements should he spot the gun (might prone you out first and ask questions later) but I would not be inclined to mention it at a border.
    Joe S.
    '12 Concours C14
    '11 650 VStrom
    '10 Tiger 1050 SE
    '01 HD FXD
    '09 XR1200
    '79 BMW R100

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default clarify

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterK View Post
    I traveled up to Canada with a work colleague who stupidly (pre-9/11) didn't bring a passport or birth certificate. She proceeded to pull out her gun card for identification at the Canadian border. THAT was fun.
    A couple of clarifications are due here. Pre 9/11 there were NOT any requirements for Passport or documentation to go to Canada. Went many times with no more than a drivers license. Maybe most importantly to this discussion is the fact that you don't need a passport to get into Canada now. You need it to get back into the USA. They might ask, but it would only be to make sure you don't get stuck there. You can read anything into that that you want.

Richard
    DS#809

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=R and R;3336180]
    Last time I talked to a Texas S.O. he told me that it was Texas State Law that CCL holders had to show there CCL if they were stopped by police in Texas. Which I think is a great law lets the Officer know that there is a gun in the car and that the gun probably wont be used against him.Otherwise an Officer might screw his gun in your ear till he finds out whats up if he sees a gun and doesnt know you have a CCL./QUOTE]

Texas law states that if you have a weapon in your possession (on your person or in vehicle) you are required to show CCL. Instructors at CCL classes advise showing it at all times, even if your not carrying.
    MSGT USAF (Ret)
    There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Clem View Post
    A couple of clarifications are due here. Pre 9/11 there were NOT any requirements for Passport or documentation to go to Canada. Went many times with no more than a drivers license. Maybe most importantly to this discussion is the fact that you don't need a passport to get into Canada now. You need it to get back into the USA. They might ask, but it would only be to make sure you don't get stuck there. You can read anything into that that you want.

Richard
    ...actually left that out of my post. The ID she had was the gun card which made the person at the Canadian side nervous...and she then thought she was home free after getting in to Canada...I told her "you're not back in the US yet"...and they did require a PP or Birth Cert. I've nearly always had more trouble coming back to the US than crossing many other borders for many years in many parts of the world. Seems sad actually.
    Darksider #264 and PROWLER #66

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.