Shoei Qwest Vs Arai RX-Q
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shoei Qwest Vs Arai RX-Q

plcbithead1800

Default Shoei Qwest Vs Arai RX-Q

Hello All:

Going to be replacing my Arai Quantum II helmet in the next 2 weeks. I am looking for the quietest Full Face helmet (not modular or flip) I can find. Anyone have experience with either the Qwest or RX-Q?... others?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quest

I've been using a Quest for the past couple of months. It repalced a Shoei Multitec. I like both helmets, but the Quest is a little more comfortable, quieter and less affected by the wind buffeting. I always felt like I was fight the mic boom on the Multitec. I had a J&M headset installed with the mic in the chin guard. That didn't work, so I built up a mount from foam rubber that moved the mic closer to my mouth and that worked perfectly. With the mic setting in a hole in the chin bar it had no volume and sounded like it was in a tunnel. The Quest might be a little warmer when setting still on a real hot day even with the sheild up. I've never had the perfect helmet, but for now the Quest is the one I'm going to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Qwest. Before it I had been wearing a couple of Shoei RF1000's - which were the quietest helmet I had ever worn (and much quieter than the Arai Quantum II I had). The Quest is noticeably quieter than the RF1000. And every review I've read say it's the quietest helmet they have ever worn.

Just to clarify, for a while I had the Quantum II and the RF1000. I rode my FJR at the time (which had a very low windshield on it) for a while with the RF1000. Then just for grins I put the Quantum II on and went for a ride. After about two miles I turned around and went home and put the Shoei back on. The Quantum II is the loudest helmet I've ever worn.
    Last edited by jjsC6; 07-17-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    Jim

No longer Goldwing owner, but still like this forum
    ----------------------
    2013 BMW 1600GT
    2012 Ducati Panigale ABS
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an Arai RX-Q as well as an Arai Profile. The Profile fits my head better so the Q may be more like your Quantum. I do think the helmet is pretty quiet but then so has been my Profile and my Shoei's. When I ride my Concours, there is naturally more wind noise then while on the Wing.
    This is a day the LORD has made.

07 GL 1800 Orange Navi
    11 Kawasaki Concours C-14

Post Thanks / Like

My elongated noggin dictates the need of an Arai Profile helmet. If I had a rounder head it would be a Shoei for me because of the ease of changing face shields.
    Changing shield on an Arai is a pain in the butt.
    Dave (back home again in Indiana).

plcbithead1800

Quote Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
    I have a Qwest. Before it I had been wearing a couple of Shoei RF1000's - which were the quietest helmet I had ever worn (and much quieter than the Arai Quantum II I had). The Quest is noticeably quieter than the RF1000. And every review I've read say it's the quietest helmet they have ever worn.

Just to clarify, for a while I had the Quantum II and the RF1000. I rode my FJR at the time (which had a very low windshield on it) for a while with the RF1000. Then just for grins I put the Quantum II on and went for a ride. After about two miles I turned around and went home and put the Shoei back on. The Quantum II is the loudest helmet I've ever worn.
    I agree with yours assessment of the Quantum II loudness factor. Mine also is awful and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. The thing that I liked about the Arai, was the fit and feel of the interior. Very high quality helmet.

I'll have to try both the RF-Q and the Qwest for fit

Post Thanks / Like

I recently went from a Quantum II to an RX-Q and I definitely think the RX-Q is quieter. If the top front vents are open there is some additional noise so I usually keep mine closed. I had an RF-1000 prior to the Quantum II and liked the Aria better. The RX-Q cheek pads seemed to be a lot thicker than the Quantum II so I would try it on before you buy it.
    Rob
    "The Bear"
    2010 GL-1800 Level 4
    2007 V-Star 1300T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plcbithead1800 View Post
    I agree with yours assessment of the Quantum II loudness factor. Mine also is awful and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. The thing that I liked about the Arai, was the fit and feel of the interior. Very high quality helmet.

I'll have to try both the RF-Q and the Qwest for fit
    As a heads up (get it? ) the Qwest does fit much more snugly than the other helmets I've had of the same size. I think that is part of how they make it quieter. At first I was mildly concerned, but I don't even notice it now. But I do realize that it's all dependent upon your head.
    Jim

No longer Goldwing owner, but still like this forum
    ----------------------
    2013 BMW 1600GT
    2012 Ducati Panigale ABS
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the helmet that fits YOUR head the best

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.