Shoei Qwest Vs Arai RX-Q
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shoei Qwest Vs Arai RX-Q

plcbithead1800

Default Shoei Qwest Vs Arai RX-Q

Hello All:

Going to be replacing my Arai Quantum II helmet in the next 2 weeks. I am looking for the quietest Full Face helmet (not modular or flip) I can find. Anyone have experience with either the Qwest or RX-Q?... others?

Thanks

2. Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quest

I've been using a Quest for the past couple of months. It repalced a Shoei Multitec. I like both helmets, but the Quest is a little more comfortable, quieter and less affected by the wind buffeting. I always felt like I was fight the mic boom on the Multitec. I had a J&M headset installed with the mic in the chin guard. That didn't work, so I built up a mount from foam rubber that moved the mic closer to my mouth and that worked perfectly. With the mic setting in a hole in the chin bar it had no volume and sounded like it was in a tunnel. The Quest might be a little warmer when setting still on a real hot day even with the sheild up. I've never had the perfect helmet, but for now the Quest is the one I'm going to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Qwest. Before it I had been wearing a couple of Shoei RF1000's - which were the quietest helmet I had ever worn (and much quieter than the Arai Quantum II I had). The Quest is noticeably quieter than the RF1000. And every review I've read say it's the quietest helmet they have ever worn.

Just to clarify, for a while I had the Quantum II and the RF1000. I rode my FJR at the time (which had a very low windshield on it) for a while with the RF1000. Then just for grins I put the Quantum II on and went for a ride. After about two miles I turned around and went home and put the Shoei back on. The Quantum II is the loudest helmet I've ever worn.
    Last edited by jjsC6; 07-17-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Jim

No longer Goldwing owner, but still like this forum
    ----------------------
    2013 BMW 1600GT
    2012 Ducati Panigale ABS
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an Arai RX-Q as well as an Arai Profile. The Profile fits my head better so the Q may be more like your Quantum. I do think the helmet is pretty quiet but then so has been my Profile and my Shoei's. When I ride my Concours, there is naturally more wind noise then while on the Wing.
    This is a day the LORD has made.

07 GL 1800 Orange Navi
    11 Kawasaki Concours C-14

Post Thanks / Like

My elongated noggin dictates the need of an Arai Profile helmet. If I had a rounder head it would be a Shoei for me because of the ease of changing face shields.
    Changing shield on an Arai is a pain in the butt.
    Dave (back home again in Indiana).

plcbithead1800

Quote Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
    I have a Qwest. Before it I had been wearing a couple of Shoei RF1000's - which were the quietest helmet I had ever worn (and much quieter than the Arai Quantum II I had). The Quest is noticeably quieter than the RF1000. And every review I've read say it's the quietest helmet they have ever worn.

Just to clarify, for a while I had the Quantum II and the RF1000. I rode my FJR at the time (which had a very low windshield on it) for a while with the RF1000. Then just for grins I put the Quantum II on and went for a ride. After about two miles I turned around and went home and put the Shoei back on. The Quantum II is the loudest helmet I've ever worn.
    I agree with yours assessment of the Quantum II loudness factor. Mine also is awful and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. The thing that I liked about the Arai, was the fit and feel of the interior. Very high quality helmet.

I'll have to try both the RF-Q and the Qwest for fit

Post Thanks / Like

I recently went from a Quantum II to an RX-Q and I definitely think the RX-Q is quieter. If the top front vents are open there is some additional noise so I usually keep mine closed. I had an RF-1000 prior to the Quantum II and liked the Aria better. The RX-Q cheek pads seemed to be a lot thicker than the Quantum II so I would try it on before you buy it.
    Rob
    "The Bear"
    2010 GL-1800 Level 4
    2007 V-Star 1300T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plcbithead1800 View Post
    I agree with yours assessment of the Quantum II loudness factor. Mine also is awful and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. The thing that I liked about the Arai, was the fit and feel of the interior. Very high quality helmet.

I'll have to try both the RF-Q and the Qwest for fit
    As a heads up (get it? ) the Qwest does fit much more snugly than the other helmets I've had of the same size. I think that is part of how they make it quieter. At first I was mildly concerned, but I don't even notice it now. But I do realize that it's all dependent upon your head.
    Jim

No longer Goldwing owner, but still like this forum
    ----------------------
    2013 BMW 1600GT
    2012 Ducati Panigale ABS
    2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the helmet that fits YOUR head the best

2010 Red GL1800 Traxxion/Centramatic
    2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
    LIMNCS#1, GWRRA
    Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
    Michelin Alpin PA3-R, B'Stone 709-F

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Your rides, Bikes, Cars?

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.