Hannigan brakes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hannigan brakes

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hannigan brakes

Took delivery of my '08 trike conversion a couple of weeks ago. Great service by CStanley of Middleburg, PA. Very smooth ride which is essential for my wife's arthritic hip. No complaints there.
    However, the rear brakes are pathetic. Hitting the rear brakes has almost no effect on stopping so all stopping power is on the front. This, obviously, does not result in a safe stopping distance. I was looking at getting a trailer but I don't think I would be able stop safely with the extra weight pushing me.
    Has anyone experienced this problem with Hannigan or any other trike with disk brakes? It's scary! I would think the stopping power would be greater, or at least equal to, a bike. Sure, there's more weight but there's also now two rotors and calipers on the back.
    Badger ( Go Packers! )
    There are two things I hate about getting old, but I can't remember what the other one is.
    2005 Heritage Softail Classic - White & Blue
    2008 GL1800 Metallic Red ABS Hannigan trike

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Took delivery of my '08 trike conversion a couple of weeks ago. Great service by CStanley of Middleburg, PA. Very smooth ride which is essential for my wife's arthritic hip. No complaints there.
    However, the rear brakes are pathetic. Hitting the rear brakes has almost no effect on stopping so all stopping power is on the front. This, obviously, does not result in a safe stopping distance. I was looking at getting a trailer but I don't think I would be able stop safely with the extra weight pushing me.
    Has anyone experienced this problem with Hannigan or any other trike with disk brakes? It's scary! I would think the stopping power would be greater, or at least equal to, a bike. Sure, there's more weight but there's also now two rotors and calipers on the back.
    Sounds like something is definitely wrong. I have disc's on my '09 MT rear and they work great. Very rarely ever use the front brake. Hannigan is an excellent kit IMO and most others who have them from what I've read. Think I'd get them checked under warranty ASAP.

'09 GL1800 Pewter Silver Metallic(Bought 11/27/12)
    BT-45 Battlax front/Kuhmo rear
    Roadsmith (Loaded w/ Goodies)

'08 GL1800 Black (Bought 11/18/09)
    Hannigan..Done 1/16/2012
    The "Blackbird"

USAF 1955-59

Post Thanks / Like

It needs to be re-bled,,,,,, there is air in the line
    George Patrick Th.D.
    2012-GL1800,Hannigan Gen2
    2009 Roll-A-Home
    CMA Chapter #854
    USMC 66-74

Heb 13:2

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely the cause George.

'09 GL1800 Pewter Silver Metallic(Bought 11/27/12)
    Roadsmith (Loaded w/ Goodies)

'08 GL1800 Black (Bought 11/18/09)
    Hannigan..Done 1/16/2012
    The "Blackbird"

USAF 1955-59

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hannigan Rear Brakes

When I first Hanniganized my 2009 Goldwing I had the same low power brakes you report on the rear and pedal was soft. I took it back next day and they bled both sides and got a little air out of both sides. Since then I have had a hard pedal with good rear brakes stopping power. Been the same now for almost two years and 22k miles with no additional bleeding. I tow an Escapade trailer on long trips and have the braking power for it as well, albeit with a little more stopping distance.
    Last edited by Falcon; 07-22-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Stu McCurdy (Falcon)
    2009 Metalic Blue Limited Edition Goldwing Hannigan Trike
    Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS w/XM Radio/Weather/Traffic
    2002 Escapade Trailer
    USAF 1964-1992

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. I'm taking it back next week to have the brakes bled.
    Badger ( Go Packers! )
    There are two things I hate about getting old, but I can't remember what the other one is.
    2005 Heritage Softail Classic - White & Blue
    2008 GL1800 Metallic Red ABS Hannigan trike

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Report back let us know if that helped maybe someone else having the same issue

Post Thanks / Like

you will be happy after they re-bleed the brakes.. that should take care of it 100%

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hannigan Brakes

We've got a two year old Hannigan and the brakes are excellent. We pull a Bushtec and if needed I can lock up the rear brakes anytime I want. Won't guess what's wrong,but something is.
    Bill Catlett

Post Thanks / Like

Badger, prepare yourself for the fact that your installer might never get your rear brakes as firm as you might like. All trike manufacturers keep the existing Honda brake master cylinder. IMHO, the original brake master cylinder is just not large enough for the extra volume of brake fluid that's it's pushing to the larger rear brake calipers, plus the original front calipers.

Does mine stop me? Yes. Will they lock up? Yes. Do I get the hard firm feeling that I desire at the brake foot pedal? No! A bleeding of the rear system will help but mine has never felt as I would like them to be. It's never failed to stop me when I needed to stop, but I am one of those who desires a firm hard brake pedal. Call me weird!

Ride safe,

Wayne
    Wayne Sawyer
    Nashville Road Kill Ride-In Co-Host
    Blue Knights TN V (Past-President)
    U.S.A.F. 1967-1971
    '08 GL Hannigan

If you died today, would you go to Heaven? Would you like to know?
    Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:12, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13, 10:9-10, 1 John 5:13

Post Thanks / Like

I did some upgrading and found a comprehensive flush with good fluid and a change from the stock Honda CRX pads to a higher performance set of Hawk pads made a substantial difference in feel and stopping power.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261892

2008 Metallic Red Airbagger Hannigan Trike
    2010 Triumph Street Triple RR
    2006 ST1300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wasaw View Post
    Badger, prepare yourself for the fact that your installer might never get your rear brakes as firm as you might like. All trike manufacturers keep the existing Honda brake master cylinder. IMHO, the original brake master cylinder is just not large enough for the extra volume of brake fluid that's it's pushing to the larger rear brake calipers, plus the original front calipers.

Does mine stop me? Yes. Will they lock up? Yes. Do I get the hard firm feeling that I desire at the brake foot pedal? No! A bleeding of the rear system will help but mine has never felt as I would like them to be. It's never failed to stop me when I needed to stop, but I am one of those who desires a firm hard brake pedal. Call me weird!

Ride safe,

Wayne
    , with the exception of locking them up as I have ABS on a CSC kit!

Bob
    1st Lt. USMC RET
    International Cracker Barrel Trike Club Member,
    Honor Guard
    2008 Dark Black gl1800
    2010 CSC Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue. I have to press much harder than I think should be necessary. I use my front brakes to assist, and have had to really get down on both front and rear brakes a few times along with gearing down to get it stopped in time. It can be scary!

It's about time to flush and change fluid. I hope that helps.
    Money talks....mine usually says 'goodbye'.
    2001 Goldwing / 2009 Hannigan Trike
    2005 Honda VTX1300-R

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.