GL1800Riders Forums banner

Crash bar damage from Mic-O-Pegs - Beware!

6K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  MOPMan 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased Mic-O-Pegs, model KD for my 2015 GL1800 Level 3 and installed them according to the instructions (which wasn't difficult). A few weeks ago, I needed to take them off so I could move them around a bit (to adjust them) and found this damage.

I began an exchange with Jim at Mic-O-Pegs which lasted for a few weeks. The bottom line was he thinks I installed them wrong. Of course, I explained how I followed the instructions so he's basically calling me a liar.

I'm very disappointed in how the company handled this issue and just wanted to warn prospective customers about two things:
1. Watch out for what might have caused this damage and make sure it doesn't happen to you, and
2. If something does go wrong, it doesn't seem like the company will stand behind it.

So, what happened? I'm really not sure. At first, I thought the center (pivot) bolt was too long. After looking at the assembled unit off the bike, I don't think this was the case. Could there have been a burr (or whatever that's called) on the inside of the mounting base which broke lose once installed?

Correction: I've found that I was wrong and the damage was not caused by the Mic-O-Pegs. Please see post #25.

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
Oh, and as another thought, the black-out finish like your bike has on the guard may not be as tough as the Honda chrome plate. Jim might need to experiment with that to see if black-out specific clamp sets should be considered to keep the correctly fitted clamps from breaking the paint. Not sure, but would not hurt to check.

prs

#33 ·
Mark..just read thru this entire post. Personally I would think it would be a good thing to leave the post up (just my $.02). If for no other reason but to ensure that this doesn't happen to someone else during the install. You admitted your mistake and apologized to Jim/Jay....all is good. This could be a valuable DYI to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for posting!

#35 ·
Good thread with great outcome. As said above, it could save somebody from the same error.

The only thing I would add is a quick not in the original post to keep folks from reading it and not reading the "rest of the story".

#36 ·
CHIT HAPPENS.......HECK THINK I TOLD MY X-WIFES I WAS WRONG ...ONCE !!!:surprise:pUT SOME PAINT ON IT AND PUT MICS BACK ON AND GO RIDE. LESSON LEARNED (HARD WAY.) LEAST FOUND WHAT HAPPENED

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.