GL Engine 1800cc eqals what horsepower?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GL Engine 1800cc eqals what horsepower?

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GL Engine 1800cc eqals what horsepower?

What formula works to figure out what a 1800cc engine is how many horse power?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about a formula. I did put mine on a dyno earlier this year. It was 75 degrees, pressure at pretty much sea level - 0% correction all around. Final numbers is 103hp at 5400 RPMs and 118 lbs torque at 3400 RPMs. The power curve is fantastic. Very smooth. I'm happy.

Ray aka "FUSE"

A lil ol' video I made in 05'.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Contributing Member SteveGW1800's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    2002 Goldwing
    2006 Shadow Aero

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify my numbers are at the rear wheel. I understand the 118hp number is at the crank.

Don't matter which number you really use, they both are from the same machine and give you the same huge grin when twisting that right wrist...
    Ray aka "FUSE"

Contributing Member SteveGW1800's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Displacement

• Engine displacement refers to the total volume that the pistons of an engine occupy after firing. Typically, the higher an engine's displacement, the more power it is able to generate. The Gold Wing 1800's engine has a displacement of 1,832 cc, which is equivalent to approximately 112 cubic inches.

Horsepower

• The Gold Wing 1800 is able to obtain an optimal power output of 118 horsepower when its engine is running at 5,500 rotations per minute (RPMs).

Torque

• Torque is the amount of twisting force -- or rotational effort -- that the firing pistons of the engine are able to exert on the crankshaft. The Gold Wing 1800 is able to generate an optimal amount of torque -- of 123 foot-pounds -- at 4,500 RPM.

Read more: Specifications for a Gold Wing 1800 | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7490383_spe...#ixzz1cD2yRFT6
    2002 Goldwing
    2006 Shadow Aero

Post Thanks / Like

Most get about 95-105 hp at 5500 rpm and 105-110 ft lbs at 4250 rpm at the rear wheels. Depends on the dyno and conditions at time of dyno run. Torque is over 90 ft lbs from 1500-5500 rpms. That's why its such a great touring motor.
    Last edited by 05nwl; 10-29-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cubic displacement is not really an accurate indicator of how much power an engine is capable of delivering. A perfect example of this is the 750cc Magna that was discontinued after 2003. The bike is light, which is a factor; however, the Magna 750 has the most powerful 750cc engine I have ever seen in a cruiser. The bike itself is somewhere in the size and weight range close to a Shadow 750, etc., but the V-twin Shadow cannot compete with a 750 Magna with 4 cylinders and 4 carburetors. In terms of power and speed, there is no comparison. As a matter of fact, the VTX 1300 I had was not even in competition with the 750 Magna one of my son's buddies rides. It is one little hoss of a bike with close to sport bike performance.

2W
    Last edited by 2Wheeler; 10-29-2011 at 09:52 PM.

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The HP and Torque figures stated below (at the rear wheel) are correct, and the combination of big torque just off idle and down low in the rev range, combined with the cremey smoothness of the flat-6 configuration make the GL1800 the greatest touring motor!

Quote Originally Posted by 05nwl View Post
    Most get about 95-105 hp at 5500 rpm and 105-110 ft lbs at 4250 rpm at the rear wheels. Depends on the dyno and conditions at time of dyno run. Torque is over 90 ft lbs from 1500-5500 rpms. That's why its such a great touring motor.

Contributing Member roundgunner's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Dyno Drags at Honda Homecoming 2006. This puppy will run if ya want it to!

Warren
    --------------------------------------------

We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.

- Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roundgunner View Post
    From the Dyno Drags at Honda Homecoming 2006. This puppy will run if ya want it to!

Wow. 12 "flat" is the quickest time I've seen for a GL1800. Is a "dyno drag a simulated run? What year is the bike?

Post Thanks / Like

The GL1800 HP = fastest enough to get a ticket. (ouch)

GL1800riders.com WI Board's Toughest Riders (Charter Member).
    Real Riders Ride Year Round. Cold is only a state of mind, but snow
    sucks. Charter member of the "I Hate Snow" club.

Darksider #1025
    Wisconsin Patriot Guard #188329

Contributing Member roundgunner's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05nwl View Post
    Wow. 12 "flat" is the quickest time I've seen for a GL1800. Is a "dyno drag a simulated run? What year is the bike?
    it gets strapped down then you run with a light tree. I used to drag this 76 750k built up to a 836 with lots of extras at Milan, Mich. I don't think it ever got 12 flat.

Warren
    --------------------------------------------

We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.

- Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen 12.70's, which is plenty quick for a fat lady. So, the fat lady sings! Sorta.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUSE View Post
    To clarify my numbers are at the rear wheel. I understand the 118hp number is at the crank.

Don't matter which number you really use, they both are from the same machine and give you the same huge grin when twisting that right wrist...

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't the early 1800s make more power before the ECU swap out ?
    2012 BMW K1600GT
    2000 BMW R1100R
    2010 Wing Airbagger Sold
    2008 Burgman 650 Exec
    Past Bikes of note: Suz RG500, 250RGV, 500 Titan, 250 Hustler, Hon CBX, CB305 Super Hawk, Kaw Z1, 500 triple, Yam 350LC, Twin Jet 100, RZ500.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUSE View Post
    Don't know about a formula. I did put mine on a dyno earlier this year. It was 75 degrees, pressure at pretty much sea level - 0% correction all around. Final numbers is 103hp at 5400 RPMs and 118 lbs torque at 3400 RPMs. The power curve is fantastic. Very smooth. I'm happy.

Did they get a reading of the AFR in the pipes ?
    2012 BMW K1600GT
    2000 BMW R1100R
    2010 Wing Airbagger Sold
    2008 Burgman 650 Exec
    Past Bikes of note: Suz RG500, 250RGV, 500 Titan, 250 Hustler, Hon CBX, CB305 Super Hawk, Kaw Z1, 500 triple, Yam 350LC, Twin Jet 100, RZ500.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hornkhonker View Post
    Did they get a reading of the AFR in the pipes ?
    Nope. This was just a pure power baseline run. No AFR done since there was to be no tuning what so ever. Was just worried about pure numbers. Plus it was free so I wasn't going to ask for anything extra then what they were offering.
    Ray aka "FUSE"

Post Thanks / Like

My Honda has slightly less than 1800 c.c.'s ... but 140 horse power ... and only four cylinders ...

... oh ... you meant my motorcycle ... I was talking about my Honda CIVIC ...
    Tom Batt ... the "FROGG TOGGS GUY"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wing View Post
    What formula works to figure out what a 1800cc engine is how many horse power?
    thanks
    BTW, there is no formula to go directly from displacement to horsepower. Too many variables. The GL1800, 111 cubic inches, makes about one horsepower per cubic inch, which is a really mild engine by today's standards. Some of the streetable liter-class bikes, 1,000 cc, 61 cubic inches, make almost three horsepower per cubic inch at the rear wheels! Of course, they are spinning a lot faster than the GL1800.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.