Installing A Spoiler Video
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing A Spoiler Video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Installing A Spoiler Video

I posted this in the general forum, but thought it should also live over here in "How-To"

I have just completed a 4-part series of videos on how to install a spoiler. As always, your feedback is invaluable!

Part One - Tools

Part Two - Disassembly

Part Three - Drilling Holes

Part Four - Installation
    Last edited by Cruiseman; 12-10-2011 at 07:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job with the video. If I could offer another suggestion, after you drill the pilot hole from the bottom, I use a stepped drill and drill from the top. If you are careful, the step drill will put a slight chamfer on the holes and make installing the rubber wiring grommet very easy. It also eliminates the long stingy plastic burrs that a standard twist drill leaves.

I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability.

For some folks, there's Therapy.
    For the rest of us, There are MOTORCYCLES!
    Darkside 843

Jimmy & Tracy Chance
    Machinist and Mechanic
    Savannah GA

912-665-1846 Cell
    jchance369@aol.com
    [/color][/b]
    2008 Suz Hayabusa
    ​2011 Ninja 1000
    2013 GL1800
    2013 Concours 1400

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the video, if I had it last week when I did the install with the spoiler, the anxiety of doing the installation would have been a lot less. I recently purchased a 2010 and have been trying to install accessories. The how to forum has been a great help, I have installed different accessories that in the past I would have taken to the dealer to get done. Thanks for all your video’s that you have published.
    Blue Knights AZ. IX
    Retired Senior Customs Inspector/Canine Officer
    Retired Military Police
    GWRRA Life Membe
    2010 Yellow GL 1800
    2009 Yellow GL 1800 Trike

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chance View Post
    Nice job with the video. If I could offer another suggestion, after you drill the pilot hole from the bottom, I use a stepped drill and drill from the top. If you are careful, the step drill will put a slight chamfer on the holes and make installing the rubber wiring grommet very easy. It also eliminates the long stingy plastic burrs that a standard twist drill leaves.
    Jimmy...I agree 100% on the step drills. They are great for plastic and won't tear things up like a common twist drill. I have some large enough to install lighter receptacles but they can be a little expensive in the larger sizes for people that won't use them much. I use Irwin's but probably the cheaper Harbor Freight step drills would be good enough for plastic .
    Sometimes I use chassis drills for larger holes but never hole saws. For holes up to 3/8", I sometimes use the special bits for drilling plastics. I get them from a place that manufactures boat windshields. They can't afford to make a mistake on an expensive yacht . Most larger plastic suppliers sell the bits made for plastic.
    Chris...Nice job on the video .

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 47K trouble free miles
    2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
    2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
    1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
    1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint

Post Thanks / Like

I considered using a step drill, but had never used on on plastic before. I did not want to screw up on video! Also, step drill bits are quite expensive for the average DIYer. But, I would probably use one next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I guess owning a machine shop has it's perks. Not to mention that I am a tool whore.

I know that "Horrible Freight" sells a decent step drill. I can guarantee that the step drill works 100 times better in plastic than a twist drill does. I'm sure that you have had the twist drill grab and snatch it's way into the plastic. the step drill doesn't do that. If you have a steady hand, you can use the next step up on the drill to de-bur the hole.

I'm am very impressed with your video and for first timers, it is a wonderful tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
    I considered using a step drill, but had never used on on plastic before. I did not want to screw up on video! Also, step drill bits are quite expensive for the average DIYer. But, I would probably use one next time.

I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability.

For some folks, there's Therapy.
    For the rest of us, There are MOTORCYCLES!
    Darkside 843

Jimmy & Tracy Chance
    Machinist and Mechanic
    Savannah GA

912-665-1846 Cell
    jchance369@aol.com
    [/color][/b]
    2008 Suz Hayabusa
    ​2011 Ninja 1000
    2013 GL1800
    2013 Concours 1400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chance View Post

I'm am very impressed with your video and for first timers, it is a wonderful tool.
    Thanks for the encouraging words. A lot of effort goes into the taping and editing, believe it or not. It is not the tasks are that difficult, but sometimes it helps to see someone else do something before trying it on your own. I know I would have never attempted changing the air cleaner without Fred's DVDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Armed with your encouraging video, I'm heading to Baltimore Harbor today to install a spoiler on a wingers '10 along with some other goodies. It's just a bonus that he owns and operates a Liquor/ Deli store along the shoreline of the Harbor. Freds videos will get there playing time this winter as I do the air filter and brake bleed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
    sometimes it helps to see someone else do something before trying it on your own. I know I would have never attempted changing the air cleaner without Fred's DVDs.
    I agree with your statement about seeing how something is done makes it easier to do. I have found it especially difficult trying to interpret the written installation instructions, seeing how it is done makes it easier to do the installation.
    Blue Knights AZ. IX
    Retired Senior Customs Inspector/Canine Officer
    Retired Military Police
    GWRRA Life Membe
    2010 Yellow GL 1800
    2009 Yellow GL 1800 Trike

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.