08 GL1800 Reverse Problem
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 08 GL1800 Reverse Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default 08 GL1800 Reverse Problem

My GW had been "triked" when I purchased it and all worked well for about 6 months. After that, I began having problems when attempting to use the reverse function. At first it was intermitten and has now become an all the time problem.

The malfunction is that when reverse function is activated and the starter button is depressed, the mc will only backup about 4 or 5 feet (3-4 sec) then stop with the reverse indicatior going off (neutral ind not on either). To continue in reverse, the reverse button must be released allowing the unit to switch back into neutral, then repeat the action all over. This can be done again and again. Unit was put into the dealers shop for 2 days, to no avail, with the reverse/cruise module having been changed. (No charge for that since the problem wasn;t fixed) I've since discovered that if I simply release the start button and after a count of 3, then depress it again, the dis-engage/engage action does not have to be done. I can simply dis-engage/engage the start button over and over. Kind of herky-jerky but eventually gets me where I need to go. Does anyone have any ideas?
    08TrikeRider

2. Remove Advertisements
    GL1800Riders.com
    Advertisements

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 08TrikeRider View Post
    My GW had been "triked" when I purchased it and all worked well for about 6 months. After that, I began having problems when attempting to use the reverse function. At first it was intermitten and has now become an all the time problem.

The malfunction is that when reverse function is activated and the starter button is depressed, the mc will only backup about 4 or 5 feet (3-4 sec) then stop with the reverse indicatior going off (neutral ind not on either). To continue in reverse, the reverse button must be released allowing the unit to switch back into neutral, then repeat the action all over. This can be done again and again. Unit was put into the dealers shop for 2 days, to no avail, with the reverse/cruise module having been changed. (No charge for that since the problem wasn;t fixed) I've since discovered that if I simply release the start button and after a count of 3, then depress it again, the dis-engage/engage action does not have to be done. I can simply dis-engage/engage the start button over and over. Kind of herky-jerky but eventually gets me where I need to go. Does anyone have any ideas?
    08TrikeRider
    My '08 isn't triked but I have had that problem. All I did was to lube the cam area where the cables hook up at the engine end. There is a spring that seems to bind sometimes. I use a gun oil spray with teflon evey time I change oil (4K) and haven't had the trouble since! Check and see if the installer adjusted the cables to where there is not enough free play, this can cause the problem too! Good luck

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If the cables are OK, then check fuse #1, RVS A FUSE, it's the sense line for the reverse control module. If the fuse is blown, it makes the module "think" the starter/reverse motor is overloaded.
    Last edited by techdude2000; 07-04-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    GO UK Wildcats, C.A.T.S. Cats! Cats! Cats!
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

milage?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't park where you would have to back up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reverse

Spray the Reverse switch backside with contact cleaner
    Stu McCurdy (Falcon)
    2009 Metalic Blue Limited Edition Goldwing Hannigan Trike
    Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS w/XM Radio/Weather/Traffic
    2002 Escapade Trailer
    USAF 1964-1992

Post Thanks / Like

Question Silicon on backside of switch

Nice Ride Falcon!!
    I've never been there, can you give me a hint or some directions on how to get to the backside of the switch?
    GreyGhost1950
    I,ve used silicon there before to no avail but had forgotten that. I'll look closer for a spring problem.
    techdude
    If the reverse fuse #1 fuse is blown, would the reverse function at all?
    GoldWingrGreg
    Milage is +/- 13k. MC was out of warrenty due to time when I purchased it.
    Last edited by 08TrikeRider; 11-27-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Brain Freeze

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the reverse will work a little because there's a slight delay between the bike backing up and the module sensing the issue and stopping.
    Last edited by techdude2000; 11-27-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Rob's Candy Red '04

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend a different Honda dealership or at least a different "technician". Many are not proficient at working on goldwings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by techdude2000 View Post
    If the cables are OK, then check fuse #1, it's the sense line for the reverse control module. If the fuse is blown, it makes the module "think" the starter/reverse motor is overloaded.
    Where is this fuse I have the same problem I just had My Motortrike Spyder changed out for the Adventure kit after someone ran into me at a store before the change reverse worked fine now only 3 seconds
    2007 Crucible Orange Metallic 2011 Adventure MotorTrike formerly 2008 Spyder 2009 Crucible Orange Metallic Roll-A-Home

Seasoned Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Main fuse box to the left of your battery. If the fuse is good, you will need to measure the voltage at the fuse while backing up.

Last edited by techdude2000; 11-28-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Rob's Candy Red '04

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.